Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Feels like I've missed some shit due to a hailnadofuckstorm power outage. We really going secsecsec? I have mixed emotions.

1. Lulz aggy. When you slurp that sec dick now it's going to feel weird and it's not going to do much for you in recruiting. 

2. We might make their claims of being the top conference come true. Fucking gross.

3. We get to benefit from the secsecsec media BS.

Edited by Bevo14

Suchomel says that Harris is visiting A&M this weekend and doesn't have plays yet to visit Texas, which is contrary to what was previously reported by others 

Edit: next weekend, not this. I'm a potato 

Edited by Fud

8 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Pods are going to breakup rivalries and are dumb anyway.   Two 8 team divisions.   9 game conference schedule (other 7 teams in your division, plus 2 cross division games). Every meaningful game/rivalry is preserved except for LSU and Alabama, which LSU will probably be just fine avoiding that beatdown and Bama considers Auburn and Tennessee their main rivals, anyway.

WEST:

Texas

OU

LSU

Arkansas

Ole Miss

A&M

Miss St

Missouri

EAST:

Bama

Auburn

Georgia

Florida

Tennessee

Kentucky

SCar

Vandy

Even the SECN is working on pods

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Shouldn’t this TX/OU to the SEC news be crushing the classes of the other 8 schools? Why commit to a school that may be G5 by your sophomore year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaylon Guilbeau is READY to be all-CUSA (or zombie Big XII with SMU/Houston/Okie Lite)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Shouldn’t this TX/OU to the SEC news be crushing the classes of the other 8 schools? Why commit to a school that may be G5 by your sophomore year?

Those guys weren’t competing with us anyway   Good luck to guilbeau in the mountain west 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Suchomel says that Harris is visiting A&M this weekend and doesn't have plays yet to visit Texas, which is contrary to what was previously reported by others 

Edit: next weekend, not this. I'm a potato 

Didn't IT report that while they were at North Shore just a few days ago? Hard to trust IT these days but they were right there in person

31 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Didn't IT report that while they were at North Shore just a few days ago? Hard to trust IT these days but they were right there in person

Maybe he changed his mind, or maybe he's lying to Suchomel about having a visit set up

26 minutes ago, Fud said:

Maybe he changed his mind, or maybe he's lying to Suchomel about having a visit set up

Seems odd if true given how obvious he's been about not liking Aggy. Although visit bags are probably still a thing over there

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Seems odd if true given how obvious he's been about not liking Aggy. Although visit bags are probably still a thing over there

Yeah, guess we'll see. All of these guys probably have at least two dozen schools trying to convince them to show up for that last weekend, which is why a lot of them haven't committed to going anywhere yet 

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

paywall

here it is ::

Spoiler

Steve Sarkisian addresses evaluations and the recruiting side of his organization just about every time he gets in front of a microphone.

As he’s said on a number of occasions, recruiting is the lifeblood of the program, and he’s incredibly hands-on with that process. Before a prospect can be recruited, they must be identified and evaluated. As support staffs have grown in the last decade, more teams are moving toward an NFL model with their player personnel departments.

Texas has been slowly expanding in that area over the last few years, but Sarkisian wants to make sure they can maximize the ability to identify and recruit talent. When asked about his department structure during his press conference at the THSCA Coaches Convention on Sunday, Sarkisian gave a brief overview of the nuts and bolts.

“I think at the end of the day, if you looked at an NFL player-personnel department, you’ve got your director or whatever you want to call it and you’ve got your director of player personnel on the side. Then you’ve got your offensive and defensive guys who oversee that department. You have people below them who are basically your area scouts.

“We’re basically structured the same way in essence. In turn, ultimately the coaches do their evaluation and I end up being the general manager or head coach. We make the call on do we offer or do we not. We rank our board and we do it like a draft. This is to not knock anybody, but we just don’t trust anyone else’s evaluation whether it be an internet site or anybody else. It has to come down to ours because ultimately we are the ones signing the player.”

So, who are the key players in this structure and what are their functions? Horns247 has been gathering information on the department to break it all down.

Billy Glasscock – Director of Player Personnel

Steve Sarkisian sits at the top of the organizational chart, and Glasscock is the person he filters everything through. While Sarkisian tabbed himself as the GM, Glasscock is more of the General Manager in this structure. Recruiting is only part of his job as he also oversees the transfer market, walk-ons and overall roster management. Glasscock oversees the entire department and answers only to Sarkisian. His role is less of a recruiter - though he does his share when players and their families are on campus – and more of an organizer. His priority is to make sure his team is working efficiently, the board is always up to date, and every other department is working toward the overall strategy.

Brandon Harris – Director of Recruiting

Harris works with Glasscock to oversee the recruiting department. Harris serves as the chief communicator in a structure where there is a separation between communicators and organizers. His experience as a college athlete and youth makes him a valuable tool for recruiting young athletes. Harris answers directly to Steve Sarkisian, but he also filters things through Glasscock to make sure the flow of information is organized and being sent to the right people. Harris facilitates relationships with key recruits and somewhat serves as the face of the operation. While he isn’t as visible as Bryan Carrington was in the role, Harris works tirelessly behind the scenes to make sure Texas stays top of mind for many of the top prospects on the board.

Chris Gilbert – Director of High School Relations

Gilbert has been much different in his role than several of his predecessors. While his top priority is ensuring strong relationships with high school coaches around the state, he’s also been able to assist as a recruiter. Because of his relationships with parents and coaches, Gilbert has been able to augment some recruitments for Texas by stepping in and working on the relationship. It would be fair to consider Gilbert on the same tier as Glasscock as he answers directly to Sarkisian.

Taylor Searels – Director of On Campus Recruiting

The next tier includes all of the departments that report up to Glasscock. We will start with Searels who is asked to oversee all aspects of visits. Searels works with Assistant Director of On Campus Recruiting Courtney Helom to oversee a team of interns. This team makes sure all aspects of a visit are as good as they can be for Texas. That includes figuring out travel logistics, making sure the room is stocked with the right snacks, putting together a weekend full of the right events to keep families entertained on official visit weekends and showing off Texas in the best way possible. Think of them as a sort of cruise director who keeps everything moving while families are there.

JM Jones – Assistant Director of Player Personnel – Offense

As Sarkisian mentioned, splitting the evaluation process into offense and defense was key for him. Jones is a long-time staffer at Texas going back over the last few staffs. Having started as a student assistant, Jones worked his way up to be an assistant DPP under the last staff. He was retained by Sarkisian and put over the offensive side of the ball. Jones oversees a team of recruiting analysts and interns who work alongside the coaches. Each assistant has some sort of analyst or graduate assistant that works with them and a recruiting analyst or intern on the personnel side. Jones’ team cuts film makes initial evaluations and help when recruits are on campus.

Cole Moore – Assistant Director of Player Personnel – Defense

Moore mirrors Jones’ role on the defensive side of the ball. A former Montana State athlete who played for Jeff Choate, Moore got into the coaching side after his college career wrapped up by working at Washington as a GA. Like Jones, Moore’s group assists the defensive coaches in identifying and evaluating prospects. Moore’s background working with Choate and Pete Kwiatkowski gives him a great idea of what they are looking for in potential recruits, and he’s been a big hit with some of the families we spoke with who have been recruited and hosted by Moore.

Jake Langi – Recruiting Analyst/Special Projects

Langi’s position is somewhat unclear, but his twitter bio has him tabbed as an analyst who oversees “Special Projects.” In the past, Langi has been heavily involved in the JUCO evaluations and tasked with being the relationship builder on certain recruitments where he has connections. As an elder statesman amongst the analysts there, Langi seems to have an assignment that isn’t attached to the offensive or defensive side. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

Give 'em a minute. Everybody is still processing and nothing has been finalized.  

1 minute ago, BornAndRaised said:

Whens the new podcast, I feel like this one will be spicy.

Oh it will be. We are waiting for a bit more concrete shit to come out first, which seems like could be any moment. This is going to happen very very quickly

• Hook 'Em 2

So if this is real, the absolute earliest it would go into effect (and most likely time?) would be the 2023-2024 season, right? So you are pitching Stewart/Perkins et al on starting SEC play after their first season on campus. 

Arch headlines the '23 class that would go right into the new conference schedule. 

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor

There’s real buzz in recruiting today. This could have major ramifications on current in-state targets for the Horns.

More prospects talk about the potential move to the SEC.

OL Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek (Humble, TX) (OREGON) - 2022:

“That sounds like it would be some great competition and games for (Texas) if it does happen.”

WR Johntay Cook, Desoto (Desoto, TX) - 2023:

“That’s live! And I’m ready to get back on July 30th.”

OL Cole Hutson, Frisco High (Frisco, TX) (TEXAS) - 2022:

“That would be cool. But to me it’s not a big deal because either way, I’m going to UT to compete and dominate in every aspect of the game doesn’t matter who my opponent is. It doesn’t matter who, someone is still going to get an ass-whooppin.”

From yesterday evening:

WR Evan Stewart, Liberty (Frisco, TX) - 2022:

"If (Texas) moves to the SEC, I'll commit today."

EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX) - 2022:

"That's big that (Texas) can do it. I mean, It's Texas, what can't they do?"

DL Justice Finkley, Hewitt (Trussville, AL) - 2022:

"I think Texas is a massive program so it would definitely change the dynamics of the SEC."

DB BJ Allen, Aledo (Aledo, TX) (TEXAS) - 2022:

"I love it. I think it would help Texas recruiting-wise, so the players can stay home now and still play with the so-called best competition."

RB Rueben Owens, El Campo (El Campo, TX) - 2023:

"It would be good to know another in-state program is in such a competitive conference. I think it would add credibility for a lot of recruits nationally."
LB Trevell Johnson, Martin (Arlington, TX) (TEXAS) - 2022:

“It’s a big jump but we’re ready. Coach Sark and his staff know what they’re doing and for the time that I’ve been around the players, you can tell they’re fully bought in and believe what they’re trying to instill in that program.”

OL Connor Robertson, Westlake (Austin, TX) (TEXAS) - 2022:

“I think it will be interesting. I think if the 12-team playoff goes through, Texas would still definitely be contenders in that conference and the SEC would be an unbelievable conference.”

LB Anthony Jones, Liberty (Las Vegas, NV) (TEXAS) - 2022:

“I look at it like this; I don’t care what division we play in because I feel that we are the best program in the country and we have the coaching staff that knows what it takes to win no matter who we go against. So it doesn’t matter who we play, I want to play the best competition anyway.”

LB Anthony Hill, Ryan (Denton, TX) - 2023:

“I feel like it would be good for (Texas) to try and make the jump. (For Texas and his recruitment) it’s something extra to think about later down the road.”

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, UncleSonny said:

So if this is real, the absolute earliest it would go into effect (and most likely time?) would be the 2023-2024 season, right? So you are pitching Stewart/Perkins et al on starting SEC play after their first season on campus. 

Arch headlines the '23 class that would go right into the new conference schedule. 

The physical limitations of an erection are being pushed

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

So you are pitching Stewart/Perkins et al on starting SEC play after their first season on campus. 

Sure. If they redshirt, that'd give 'em 2-3 years on "the biggest stage" in daggon ole college football. Sounds mighty fine to me, fella. Row Horns!

23 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Sure. If they redshirt, that'd give 'em 2-3 years on "the biggest stage" in daggon ole college football. Sounds mighty fine to me, fella. Row Horns!

Uh, Bucko, buddy ole pal, why exactly would they need to redshirt in order to play 2-3 years in the SEC? 

So if we go SEC, Stewart says he'll commit right away and we'd be tough to beat for Perkins? Sounds like errrybody season would be getting a second wind this year
Except for the fact we may not land in the SEC soon enough for those guys to actually play in the SEC for more than a year, maybe 2...assuming this really happens. I mean, next season is possible..but lots of hurdles and roadblocks to tend to before that can even be seriously discussed. Maybe CDC and Hartzell have been working on this for a while and already jumped and removed some of those? Idk..

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting