Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Some aggys claiming they have veto power.  Anyone aware of that?

The realignment dorks who have been arguing over this for the last ten years can probably answer this, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the ace in the hole is that the other members can vote A&M out of the conference if they don’t acquiesce. Just guessing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The realignment dorks who have been arguing over this for the last ten years can probably answer this, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the ace in the hole is that the other members can vote A&M out of the conference if they don’t acquiesce. Just guessing. 

That would be an awesome, Twilight Zone style twist ending, aggy votes “No! There can be only one team from Texas in the SEC!” and the league then says, “OK, you’re out, Texas, welcome to the Southeastern Conference.”

• Haha 2

No, claiming it was some sort of condition of them joining the SEC.  I can't imagine that being true (typical aggy bullshit) but wasn't sure if anyone had heard of that.
Even if such a thing were a condition of them signing on, (which I highly doubt) how much could aggy sway the rest of the SEC? I can't see the legacy schools being onboard with this unless they already didnt want us in for some reason and looking for any loophole to kill the deal.

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There's always been some sort of urban legend/bastardization of the logic of only having one school per state in the SEC besides the legacy states of Mississippi and Alabama. I'm guessing idiotic ATM fans will cling to that notion like it's their last breath until ink is dry.

Better not tell Vanderbilt.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Better not tell Vanderbilt.

Just goes to show how stupid the premise is. There are 3 different states already in the conference with two schools, making it an accepted norm. 

Also, any notion that ATM had any power whatsoever in their negotiations with the SEC, much less enough power to command a fucking ROFR golden share vote in the conference future, is patently absurd.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The funny angle about the 'handshake agreement" A&M is counting on that Scar, UGA, UF are trying to keep out Clemson, FSU and Ga Tech. Well if they turn around and let OU and UT in that brings the SEC to 16 and all but guarantees the move to 4; 16 team super conferences and forever shuts the door on Clemson FSU or Tech making the move. Not only would Texas getting in help those teams keep out their rivals they also get the add money from bringing in two blue blood programs. So put shortly it's in everyone's and the SEC's interest to fuck over A&M.

• Hook 'Em 3

Wells: Top Texas targets talk UT/SEC news

Spoiler

After news broke today about Texas and OU in talks with the SEC, we caught up with a handful of prospects for their thoughts on the Longhorns potentially landing in the Southeastern Conference. Enjoy the evening news.

WR Evan Stewart, Liberty (Frisco, TX) - 2022:

"If (Texas) moves to the SEC, I'll commit today."

EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX) - 2022:

"That's big that (Texas) can do it. I mean, It's Texas, what can't they do?"

DL Justice Finkley, Hewitt (Trussville, AL) - 2022:

"I think Texas is a massive program so it would definitely change the dynamics of the SEC."

DB BJ Allen, Aledo (Aledo, TX) (TEXAS) - 2022:

"I love it. I think it would help Texas recruiting-wise, so the players can stay home now and still play with the so-called best competition."

EDIT: (7:03pm) new names…

LB Trevell Johnson, Martin (Arlington, TX) (TEXAS) - 2022:

“It’s a big jump but we’re ready. Coach Sark and his staff know what they’re doing and for the time that I’ve been around the players, you can tell they’re fully bought in and believe what they’re trying to instill in that program.”
OL Connor Robertson, Westlake (Austin, TX) (TEXAS) - 2022:

“I think it will be interesting. I think if the 12-team playoff goes through, Texas would still definitely be contenders in that conference and the SEC would be an unbelievable conference.”

LB Anthony Jones, Liberty (Las Vegas, NV) (TEXAS) - 2022:

“I look at it like this; I don’t care what division we play in because I feel that we are the best program in the country and we have the coaching staff that knows what it takes to win no matter who we go against. So it doesn’t matter who we play, I want to play the best competition anyway.”

• Hook 'Em 1

I sure hope this move happens fast. Because if it doesn’t it strengthens the argument in the minds of top recruits to play in the SEC. There might be recruiting fallout. And if it does go through, it better not be in 2025 or 2026. That will make it very difficult to recruit in 2022-2023. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I sure hope this move happens fast. Because if it doesn’t it strengthens the argument in the minds of top recruits to play in the SEC. There might be recruiting fallout. And if it does go through, it better not be in 2025 or 2026. That will make it very difficult to recruit in 2022-2023. 

Yeah, leaking it today before it’s official made it pretty imperative to actually get the thing done. We got $9.95ers calling recruits asking them what “Texas to the SEC” would mean to them. 

Texas’ time with the Big12 probably died today, one way or another. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Just goes to show how stupid the premise is. There are 3 different states already in the conference with two schools, making it an accepted norm. 

Also, any notion that ATM had any power whatsoever in their negotiations with the SEC, much less enough power to command a fucking ROFR golden share vote in the conference future, is patently absurd.

Yup. My guess is that if the SEC realizes it can add a team that's won 7 national championships and another team that is the biggest brand in college sports, they are going to do it no matter what the Aggies say. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wonder if 8 team divisions would lead to a 9 game conference schedule.  7+2. 

splitting the 16 in half and maintaining rivalries would be tough even with a permanent inter divisional opponent, so you’d need a second rotating one otherwise you play the same 8 every year. 

Just do a pods system. We'd be with the four SWC teams, it'd be awesome.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Just do a pods system. We'd be with the four SWC teams, it'd be awesome.

Texas aggy, ou, arky

mizzou Tennessee Kentucky vandy 

Lsu miss msu uga

Bama auburn Florida scar

if you keep the would be state pairs together and in separate pods, it gets a little tougher on perceived equity and regionalist, if the latter matters at all. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
This is better on the other thread, I’ll stop.

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Texas aggy, ou, arky

mizzou Tennessee Kentucky vandy 

Lsu miss msu uga

Bama auburn Florida scar

if you keep the would be state pairs together and in separate pods, it gets a little tougher on perceived equity and regionalist, if the latter matters at all. 

Oof that Mizztennucky pod is gross. But I understand why you made.

I kinda like the big 12.  It’s sneaky good and largely free of the truly imbecilic rednecks like the ones that call in to Pawl.  You do have the trailer trash up north but they are a minor nuisance.  We have been a top 1 or 2 conference in basketball and really good in secondary sports that nobody cares about.  Football has been good enough to make a playoff for the winner.  Regional affiliation does mean something.  Do we really want to be tied at the hip to so many fucking crazy goobers?

• Hook 'Em 5

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting