Jake Ehlinger OD Discussion and Information

Tex Pete

11 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I just think it's counterproductive to lie to kids about drugs and alcohol. They aren't stupid and they can see right through bullshit.

Sure. Tell them the whole story.  A lot of people experiment with pills/opioids and have minimal or no impact to their future.  However, some percentage of people will end up with their lives ruined or ended prematurely.  There’s really no way to know who ends up in which group, especially in the fentanyl age.  Now go make smart decisions from your 17 years of perspective. 

I really don’t get your angle here DD.  It’s not lying to kids to tell them that there is really no way to tell if you have the physical or emotional propensity to become an addict or if that Xanax you got from that one guy your friend knows is a death pill.  

18 minutes ago, Fletch said:

So.....you’re cool with high schoolers popping Xanax and Valium and OxyContin? 

Can you fucking read!?!? I specifically fucking said to be honest about and even promote booze and weed while also pointing out that street Xanax you’ll get from that sketchy kid is insanely fucking dangerous, especially at that age. The people I know that are dead or in their 6th or whatever stint in rehab aren’t there cause of booze(sort of. Definitely didn’t help) or weed. They got hooked on fucking pain killers or benzos around 16 or 17 and it’s fucked up their entire lives 

But whatever. Let’s get back to the EOT cause that’s what really matters to you 

We all have stories of people who went off the rails. I know plenty. I also know plenty of people who did boatloads of drugs in high school, college, and beyond who managed to carve out successful lives. 

Instead of telling kids that drugs are a one way ticket to rehab or death, I'd prefer honesty about the potential dangers of recreational drug use. 

Edited by David Dennison
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

We all have stories of people who went off the rails. I know plenty. I also know plenty of people whoc did boatloads of drugs in high school, college, and beyond who managed to carve out successful lives. 

I did drugs on occasion, drank a lot before 21, drove drunk more times than I can count. My friends did the same. None of us died or ruined our lives, but we all openly admit it is a friggin' miracle we didn't die or ruin our lives or do jail/prison time. 

If we are going to make an error, I'd rather error on scaring kids in to not making the same mistakes I made. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

We all have stories of people who went off the rails. I know plenty. I also know plenty of people who did boatloads of drugs in high school, college, and beyond who managed to carve out successful lives. 

Instead of telling kids that drugs are a one way ticket to rehab or death, I'd prefer honesty about the potential dangers of recreational drug use. 

Shits changed a lot man. These ain’t the drugs and stuff from when you or even when I was in school. It’s a whole different ball game. You should probably educate yourself more on it, but who am I kidding you don’t give a shit and are just here to troll like you always do. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I've never been a drug user ("only" alcohol), but anyone who thinks opioids 2021 are the same as they were in 1981 is a fool.  Don't map the fact that your crowd made it through means a kid faces the same odds these days.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

But here’s the rub.  It could very well be that one way ticket.  There’s no way to know how that story ends before it starts.  So why not treat it that way?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

But here’s the rub.  It could very well be that one way ticket.  There’s no way to know how that story ends before it starts.  So why not treat it that way?

I have no issue with telling them it could be. I have an issue with telling them it is.

Yes. Mr. Mackey sarcastically telling kids to not smoke weed in an absurd satire cartoon is the exact same thing as educating today’s youth on the reality of today’s opioids and street bars. Nice one!!!! Dumb fuck 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

You step on any down drug with fentanyl because it's so fucking cheap/easy to get and the initial feel is pretty close to the genuine article.  Just like in the mid-to-late '80s ecstasy was stepped on with crank - crank was easier to make (and therefore cheaper) and the initial rush feels pretty close.  The process is damn easy with pills - crush, mix, re-press.  Most times you don't even need to use a solvent - although that's also pretty easy, albeit slower.

I don't think the dealers are trying to kill anyone - not that they care so much.  They're just trying to turn $10,000 into $20,000.

Well, I am not sure they're purposely adding fentanyl to everything, but it is so powerful that residue on surfaces and implements could contaminate anything.

So they step on some hair-on or some other downer with fentanyl and the next day whip up some four-bars or whatever, voila, lethal benzos.

I've know about the possibility of these drugs being laced with other shit so I'm not surprised but surprised others didn't know. But I have an almost 18 year old daughter who is about to head off to Texas State and a 13 year old son. It has to be on my radar. She goes to the "rich" HS in town so these kids have parent's money so probably more pills going around than the "cheaper" drugs. I've had several discussions about taking pills that you would think are safe because they should require a prescription.  That I would her rather try pot she saw rolled and she knows isn't laced than a pill she doesn't know where it came from. I also drill her about not accepting drinks she hasn't opened herself. I'll definitely be telling both my kids how Jake died and that taking a laced pill just once can kill you.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Are you being intentionally thick?  Do you not understand what multiple people are telling you?

Yes it’s intentional David Dennison is a complete fucking moron that is literally wrong on every hill and stance he chooses to reside on. Fuck him and fuck those CR idiots that gave him his rep amounts.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Oh, do explain.

Do you not understand that all I'm saying is don't lie to kids about what happens when you use drugs? Sure, bad things can happen, but that doesn't mean bad things will happen. Telling them otherwise defeats the purpose of educating them about the real dangers associated with drug use.

9 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

So, people will die if we never learn Ehlinger's cause of death.

Instead of a heartfelt discussion between Ward and the Beav, there will only be awkward silence and sad, sad doubt about the true dangers of whatever cut a young life short. 

If you think this is opioid or fentanyl related (I still don't much care), maybe you could sit down and recall why you are even aware of these issues. Then, get off your dead ass and do your own research. Arm yourself with easily obtained knowledge and, talk to your child about something unrelated to sports. 

Don't rely on the Sports Page or Surly for whatever a "teaching moment" looks like in your corny family world.

Maybe you could use Ehlinger's death as a teaching moment about how a life lost young is so terrible. You can even throw in something about being respectful and not prying into something that is actually none of your business. Or maybe, you can review your posts on this thread and explain how brilliant you are and how everybody else is so dumb.

Sorry, I find this shit idiotic. How did parents teach their children anything before college football?

Blast away.

What an odd take. I don’t know if you have a child but talking abstract dangers to someone whose prefrontal cortex is not yet developed doesn’t carry near the weight that a concrete example of the death of someone they know or know of does. I don’t know what killed Jake. I know what my teenagers think killed Jake (my oldest has several friends at UT and knows kids from WL and they are all talking). The family absolutely has a right to privacy but they can do some good by bringing it out into the open.

Mical Padgett was a linebacker here awhile back. He was a great player who suffered ACL tears back when they were career ending as often as not. His son Blaine was a football player at Rice who died after taking fentanyl laced counterfeit oxycodone a few years back. His family was very open about it and I have no doubt it raised awareness and made other kids at least think twice about their choices. Did it save lives? Very likely

A senior at my daughter’s school who had just accepted a D2 scholarship died similarly, and again the family was open about it. I feel terrible for any parent who has to go through such a tragedy, but I will definitely use them as teachable moments. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Do you not understand that all I'm saying is don't lie to kids about what happens when you use drugs? Sure, bad things can happen, but that doesn't mean bad things will happen. Telling them otherwise defeats the purpose of educating them about the real dangers associated with drug use.

Yeah, you don't get it.  Nobody is suggesting anyone lie to kids about the dangers of drug use.  What people are suggesting is that you completely underestimate the dangers of using modern street opioids.  So far you've done nothing to dispel that impression.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, David Dennison said:

If you take a fentanyl laced counterfeit pill and are not a seriously tolerant opioid addict I can pretty much guarantee bad shit will happen to you. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

STUPID MOTHER FUCKER. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

If you take a fentanyl laced counterfeit pill and are not a seriously tolerant opioid addict I can pretty much guarantee bad shit will happen to you. 

No doubt, but you can teach that to kids without telling them that doing drugs is a one way ticket to rehab or death. That's as absurd as saying you get addicted to crack the first time you use it.

• Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Shits changed a lot man. These ain’t the drugs and stuff from when you or even when I was in school. It’s a whole different ball game. You should probably educate yourself more on it, but who am I kidding you don’t give a shit and are just here to troll like you always do. 

I think this is the thing that Jake's death has highlighted for me...shit is different now. My friend just lost a nephew and a friend  of the nephew the very same way. The whatever pill they took killed them at 23. This is an epidemic, the dirty party drugs laced with unintended fentanyl is a fucked up disaster and lots of young people are going to die for being young and experimental. That is something I didn't know and these discussions have enlightened me. It is scary times for parents of young teens and young adults. 

I think Roma just wants this to be the Jake Ehlinger respect thread with no discussion of COD. But he was a young man leading a charmed life and got taken due to how things are now and one risky decision that shouldn't have cost his life. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

No doubt, but you can teach that to kids without telling them that doing drugs is a one way ticket to rehab or death. That's as absurd as saying you get addicted to crack the first time you use it.

You are trolling  and not adding to the discussion at all. It is obvious so please shut up.

• Like 4

I am not trolling at all. I honestly believe that lying to kids about recreational drug use is counterproductive. 

Nobody is advocating that we lie to kids about drug use.  The truth is bad enough.  "If you take a pill that wasn't distributed by a legit pharmacy, you run a non-zero chance of dying."

Bingo bango bongo.  The Truth.

• Hook 'Em 4

32 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I don’t see anyone saying anything other than tell your kids pills have a pretty good chance of killing you. Do you disagree with that statement?

My son’s good friend OD’d before spring break. Got a ”hot” oxy he bought off some junior at Bowie HS. Mom found him barely breathing and EMS was able to hit him with the Narcan spray and save his life.

It shook my son who is a freshman in college. Hopefully enough that he won’t tangle with street pills ever again. It is an odd conversation to have with your kid suggesting smoking actual bud and eating shrooms if he wanted to experiment, but if it saves me from burying him, I’ll do it every time.

• Hook 'Em 7

On 5/13/2021 at 6:03 PM, LarryMoeSurly said:

We do know two things: no foul play and the family doesn’t wish to share the information. So why don’t we respect one of the most die hard Longhorn family’s wishes? Ask yourself why you even need to know.  What would that accomplish? Isn’t it much better to remember the essence of a person’s life instead?  I hope the Ehlinger family finds some peace.  

Because some of us struggle with some or all of the same issues Jake did, or have family members who do, and feel that shining a light on the problem is the only way to solve it.

• Hook 'Em 6

On 5/13/2021 at 5:27 PM, crash_davis said:

My understanding is that he did not know the Xanax was laced with fentanyl. Like people said up thread, there's some bad Xanax going around. Unfortunately he got ahold of some.

Also this breaks my heart if true. He was found on a sidewalk or street in West Campus. No that there's a great place to OD but the thought of this poor guy dying on the street because of bad shit he had idea he was taking kind of hits me hard. That poor family.

(deleted shit)

I'm sure APD is going to crack down hard on campus dealers.

Hank died in the back of a Cadillac. There's no good place to OD.

On 5/13/2021 at 4:51 PM, burntorangebongos said:

What is out there right now? Why is the Xanax laced with fentanyl? Is the ecstacy laced too? Is it a thing? 

Are shrooms and weed laced too? Fuck me, I think I'm glad I'm old, for once. 

everything is out there. Tell the kids all of the stories.

On 5/13/2021 at 2:56 PM, Degenerate Gardner said:

A poster on this board  recently called depression a weakness (I won’t name names because I now have them on Ignore and it would serve no point).

That fruits of that attitude contribute to so much needless death and suffering.

I know we’re all encouraged as Americans to have strong opinions about everything, but just maybe, know whereof you speak. Or don’t. Listen and learn.

Name them. 

20 hours ago, cam4mav said:

No to de-rail anything and not looking for some discussion on it.... but Xanax is fucked.

Have a now ex girlfriend got hooked on it after going through some traumatic shit, was getting it from street dealer because it was cheaper and more convenient. Think door dash vs going to a dr at 1/5th cost and no need for any "psyc eval" or anything on paper. Just text Jimmy and it's there in an hour.... Getting her weaned off that shit was like nursing a toddler but it's a 30 year old woman with a full time job. Highly addictive, horrible withdrawal, and absolutely nukes the personality and energy and emotion out of a person, good and bad, leaves you numb and neutral to the world, like a blank canvas that won't take on any paint. She got out of it, but it cost her a lot personally and financially, it cost me a metric ton emotionally, and the relationship never recovered. She's doing better but it was incredibly rough for 6 months and the ensuing year after was no picnic. I fucking hate that shit. Even without the threat of fent it's a dangerous fucking thing and seeing it labeled as lightweight absolutely triggers the fuck out of me.

Not throwing any stones, just sharing an anecdotal experience. This stuff is serious and I can't imagine having a kid in highschool now and having to have conversations like this. They probably won't get it..... cause their kids and parents just are dramatic... anyways...

/ off soap box, carry on plz.

17 hours ago, ztejas said:

Hmm that hasn't been my experience but okay.

(Also though most people doesn't understand how to use xanax)

Pairing. 

Your body chemistry is not mine. Nor your predilections or weaknesses or strength. What works for you might be damn near a death sentence for someone else. There's a reason we have a drunk thread, a hi thread, and an AA thread.

I understand why the main thread had comments deleted. That's for the family.  You don't put the dirty laundry in the front room. There's a greater than zero chance his immediate family could find this pit of sin. They want to know why, looking everywhere at anything in the aftermath and find us. If they work up enough to get in here to this protected area they ought to be able to discern we are assholes. But, with enough decorum to keep shit out of view.

I guess I have seen a lot of fucked up shit. Booze and pills have killed a lot of people. 

Those stories about people going blind from drinking bad whiskey? That shit happened. 

Brown acid.

This is not new.

How do we fix it?

It's already illegal. Adding more punishment doesn't work. 

Did he know he had to piss in a cup and this was an alternative he knew would be gone by then? Or did he prefer this buzz?

Remember how Elvis was certain he didn't do drugs? Yeah. Percocet is not off the street but you're just as addicted. 

It's fucking sad. It is every damn time.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

People who think making drugs illegal fixes the problem are complete and total idiots.  As in, we are better off without you in the gene pool dumb.  Treat the issues that make people feel the need to self medicate with things that can kill them.  Don't treat mental illness and addiction as criminal offenses.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

After my day died when I was 17, I ate bars like candy. It took me basically dying to get off the shit. Goddamn this is so damn sad. 

I'm sorry man. Glad you made it through as much as you can say you did. 

God bless the Ehlingers. May Jake rest in peace, and may time help the Ehlinger family find some solace after tragedy again.  

A suggestion to the rest of you... shut the fuck up. Take the debate elsewhere. From here out, let's all post a tribute to Jake or to the Ehlinger family until we hit page 48, at which time this thread should be locked, please, @immamac

Hook 'Em, Jake. May all your sunsets be burnt orange. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, JFKFC said:

I did drugs on occasion, drank a lot before 21, drove drunk more times than I can count. My friends did the same. None of us died or ruined our lives, but we all openly admit it is a friggin' miracle we didn't die or ruin our lives or do jail/prison time. 

If we are going to make an error, I'd rather error on scaring kids in to not making the same mistakes I made. 

Not trying to be rude but I would be curious to know how old you are.  I hope that you live a long and healthy life but what many don't understand is that this stuff doesn't necessarily go away and at some point when you get older, it hits you bigtime. I had a frat brother that was a great guy and always the life of the party, Got drunk every weekend and the next day he seemed to be fine. All of a sudden in his late 40s he was diagnosed with liver disease from all of the drinking he did when he was younger and never made it to 50. Just because you can get away with it when you're younger doesn't mean it will never come back at you. Just stay away from that crap if you can.

• Hook 'Em 1

Did he know he had to piss in a cup and this was an alternative he knew would be gone by then? Or did he prefer this buzz?

Outside of the NCAA mandated once per year test at the beginning of the season, basically no testing is done. There were occasionally random tests years ago, but it’s been years since that was a thing. Whenever you saw a player sitting out for “violating unspecified team rules”, that was usually a failed drug test.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Jake Ehlinger OD Discussion and Information