Euro 2020/2021

shnsajax

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Yeah, when I was watching Euro Tonight I noticed the extra ball on the field and then the green laser on Schmiechel's face. Clearly it didn't work since he saved the penalty.

Everyone still bitching about the penalty when it was saved. Kane scored in open play, the Penalty was a non issue.

Well, Kane doesn't have a chance at an easy rebound shot without the penalty being called, so the penalty certainly was "an issue" even though the keeper stopped the first shot.  I thought the penalty call was weak.  (I wasn't rooting for either side.)

But I agree that the other ball (or whatever object it was) on the field wasn't a factor.  None of the players seemed bothered by it.  And the rules say that the ref should stop play only if the other object is interfering with play.  That didn't happen here.  

All this talk about no penalty

5 hours ago, HenryJames said:

No penalty.

5 hours ago, alincoln said:

Dive

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

that's a dive. 

5 hours ago, Stringer said:

That’s a dive. Not sure the Denmark guy even touched him

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

what a terrible way to decide a match. shit call. 

5 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

That shouldn't have been a PK.

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

908E5361-6CD7-45A6-ADD1-18F2705DD1C0.jpeg

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

What I really here is this

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Refs been calling soft shit all night (both ways). He’s a considerable drop off from Byrch in yesterday’s game that told Spain/Italy to cut the shit early in the game. 

Certain refs are assigned to certain games for a reason, just like in the NBA.

Everyone knows that the Danes aren’t going to dive, so assigning a ref who makes soft calls to an England vs Denmark match only benefits one side.

Now Wembley will be full on Sunday.

9 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I can’t believe I’m going to pull for Itália. Christ.

Quit your bitchin’!

Italy is the last Brazilian tram left in competition.

I have a really, really good friend who was at the match yesterday and has tickets to the final.  He is excited.  I am being nice and not overtly rooting for Italy with my British friends.  

I will be at Matteo on 90th and 2nd on Sunday with all the Italians though. FYI, great Neopolitan style pizza owned by Italians.  I went there for the Belgium match, and I was the only non Italian speaker in the joint.  Lots of people with roots in Naples and Sicily.  Fun times.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have a really, really good friend who was at the match yesterday and has tickets to the final.  He is excited.  I am being nice and not overtly rooting for Italy with my British friends.  

I will be at Matteo on 90th and 2nd on Sunday with all the Italians though. FYI, great Neopolitan style pizza owned by Italians.  I went there for the Belgium match, and I was the only non Italian speaker in the joint.  Lots of people with roots in Naples and Sicily.  Fun times.

One of my favorite movies, It Started in Naples. I’ve only ever been in Italy for about 15 minutes.  I’d love to go to Naples for a Pizza Crawl, there is a gal on the YouTube who does a Food Insider show and they sort of did that. 

I will root for Italy, or Godzilla to show up and stomp on everything, because my German Blood prohibits me from cheering for England. And if I ever entertained a thought of rooting for England my Irish grandma, Elizabeth Katherine, would come back from the dead and smack me.

I have always like John’s down jut off of 8th, around the corner from the old Milford Plaza.  Next time I am in NYC, who knows when that will be, I’ll try your favorite place.

Go Italy!  (I feel dirty now)

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Lotsof people with roots in Naples andSicily.  Fun times.”

TRANSLATION: “Lots of motherfucking mafiosos, if you know wuddeye mean.”

🍷🍷🔫🔪💵🛵

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

My people.   Dad’s family is all from the Naples area.   

• Hook 'Em 1

Argentina v. Brazil and Italy v. England with trophies on the line.  Messi trying to win his first trophy for Argentina with the senior team.  England trying to bring it home.

Argentina/Brazil is probably gonna be the better game.  but the absence of fans is gonna suck.  i think Italy beats England handily.  but Wembley will be off the hook.

gonna be a great weekend of football.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Argentina v. Brazil and Italy v. England with trophies on the line.  Messi trying to win his first trophy for Argentina with the senior team.  England trying to bring it home.

Argentina/Brazil is probably gonna be the better game.  but the absence of fans is gonna suck.  i think Italy beats England handily.  but Wembley will be off the hook.

Think I'd rather watch Italy-Brazil and Argentina-England.  Can we get a switcheroo up in here?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

One of my favorite movies, It Started in Naples. I’ve only ever been in Italy for about 15 minutes.  I’d love to go to Naples for a Pizza Crawl, there is a gal on the YouTube who does a Food Insider show and they sort of did that. 

I will root for Italy, or Godzilla to show up and stomp on everything, because my German Blood prohibits me from cheering for England. And if I ever entertained a thought of rooting for England my Irish grandma, Elizabeth Katherine, would come back from the dead and smack me.

I have always like John’s down jut off of 8th, around the corner from the old Milford Plaza.  Next time I am in NYC, who knows when that will be, I’ll try your favorite place.

Go Italy!  (I feel dirty now)

I will be in Naples in September if COVID doesn't fuck it up.

16 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

So much this.   If/when Neymar does the EXACT same thing, those English cunts lose their fucking shit.  

Hell, imagine Liverpool supporters reaction if Sterling did this in a City/Liverpool game.

england this tournament - group stage

croatia: had a plan, played within themselves, great first half, nothing after sterling 57'

scotland: craptastic, deserved to lose

czech: sterling on 12' despite looking like crap in 1H, then in 2H got back to Croatia 1H form

2 goals in almost 300' of tournament football, and only 1/3rd of those minutes looking value for money in croatia 1H and czech 2H

but, they didn't concede, and you can only lose on kicks if you don't concede

the expectation for england is a world-class standard on par with the other world cup winners, but if the US had that set of results in a world cup or copa america we would be ecstatcic

pattern by halves: up down down down down up, and yet they won their group +2 on 2 scored

on england's standard, i would grade that a 6.5/10

on a US standard i would grade that a 9/10

that averages to 7.75

i don't know how i would factor hosting in this exiting-rona environment

3 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

And the start of the Gold Cup!!!.  USMNT C Team vs Haiti Sunday at 8.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Me, until Sunday.

picnic-table-bear.jpg

If you were in Bangladesh, you wouldn't be so bored.

Bangladesh on alert for Brazil, Argentina Copa clash

4a0a41b6146d39a450e860f34085bb71

Thu, July 8, 2021, 7:28 AM

Police in a rural Bangladesh district have banned gatherings for Sunday's Copa America final between Brazil and Argentina following clashes between rival fans.

Longstanding rivalry between followers of the South American giants boiled over after Brazil's semi-final win over Peru to set up the final against Lionel Messi's Argentina, police said Thursday.

A dispute between two boys over which country played better football turned into a street battle with fans beating each other with sticks and throwing punches in Brahmanbaria, 120 kilometres (75 miles) east of Dhaka, local police chief Mohammad Amranul Islam told AFP.

Islam said police were now on alert for Sunday's high-octane Copa America final in Rio de Janeiro, more than 15,000 kilometres away.

"We have told villagers they can't watch the matches on big screens. We have gone to villages and told them they can't hold any gathering during the final," Islam said.

Cricket is Bangladesh's main sport but the country of 168 million people becomes a hotbed of football fanaticism for the World Cup and Copa America.

Millions of Brazil and Argentina fans hoist the flags of their favourite country on their homes and stage street processions wearing team shirts. Trouble regularly erupts.

During the 2018 World Cup a 12-year-old boy was electrocuted to death while putting a Brazil flag on a road pole. A man and his son were critically injured when fans in rival processions clashed in the central town of Bandar.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bangladesh-alert-brazil-argentina-copa-122835061.html

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I will be in Naples in September if COVID doesn't fuck it up.

If you can find out what Valentina Porzio is up to, I'd appreciate it. 

I haven't seen her in 24 years and I still wonder "What if?" and am interested in hearing about what she's been up to.

Grazie, I'd appreciate it.

5 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

w0VjmJ.gif

And

TitanvsEngland.gif.ccaa7e6309f5ddd8d878bc92569daf88.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Three Lions on a shirt

Jules Rimet still gleaming

You England haters can suck it. This is a young, talented England team that can get it done. Far better than years past. Do I think they are better than Italy? Marginally no, but I will take the one match at Wembley and the momentum. And Italy was vastly outplayed by a Spain team that just couldn't finish. London is rocking these days and it's fucking great.

7 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Three Lions on a shirt

Jules Rimet still gleaming

You England haters can suck it. This is a young, talented England team that can get it done. Far better than years past. Do I think they are better than Italy? Marginally no, but I will take the one match at Wembley and the momentum. And Italy was vastly outplayed by a Spain team that just couldn't finish. London is rocking these days and it's fucking great.

I think that England can beat Italy, especially with Sterling’s speed against Italy’s petrified CDs, but after watching Spain vs Italy, I now realize that Spain would have handled England rather easily. 

Italy losing their left back/winger guy was a major blow to their attack. 

Hopefully the ref is the one from the Italy/Spain match. That guy can handle the spotlight and the players. 

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Just realize no Third Place match. Denmark vs. Spain with no fucks given would have been a fun match. 

Copa America teams play each other all the fucking time. It's like the Big 12, every country plays every other country in World Cup qualifying... home and away. Sometimes their friendlies are against each other and then every team makes it into the Copa America and yet still...

The Copa America has a 3rd Place match!

It's on tonight at 7pm, on FS1.

Having a Thursday night without a match was difficult to take.

2 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

62EF5FB1-1242-4785-8B58-E7C980A1FD01.png

This is the guy who did the Spain v Italy match, right?

If so, he's the right man for the match.

EDIT: Felix Brych was the ref for Spain v Italy.

merlin_189999705_bf8be25f-18c2-4594-8e46

I think that this Dutch guy is pretty good as well. I don't recall his being bad and I have seen him plenty of times. I hope that he doesn't award diving and that we almost forget he's on the pitch.

Edited by Napoleon

9 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

He was in a link already in this thread, or I actually saw him on TV. Can’t recall. 

He was the drunk dancing guys from the upper deck that took a 3 row spill that went viral via Twitter.

This picture just seemed to capture a bit more. Unlike his pants which aren’t capturing anything it appears. 

• Haha 1

A group of "mystic meerkats" have predicted England will beat Italy in Sunday’s Euro 2020 final.

The meerkats at Drusillas Park in East Sussex have a track record to admire.

Among those casting a vote were Ross, Rachel, Joey, Phoebe, Monica, Chandler, Tamu, Tyson and new arrivals Kane and Sterling, and they have correctly predicted England to beat Germany, Ukraine and Denmark leading up to the showpiece.

Head keeper Sophie Leadbitter said: “The whole zoo team can’t wait to see what England can do against Italy on Sunday.

“We’re so proud of our group of meerkats. We can’t quite believe how much attention they’ve been getting and they’re taking it all in their stride.

“Let’s hope England can take it the whole way and win on Sunday – the meerkats are on a roll and Gareth Southgate’s squad have done amazingly so far.”

Ms Leadbitter kicked things off by placing the buckets in the sand, with the England flag attached to the one on the left and the Italy flag on the right.

The whistle was blown and Tamu and Joey confidently moved into the England half. Their teammates pushed forward and did not even look at the Italy bucket. The meerkats even started to climb inside the England bucket to really make their feelings known.

Ms Leadbitter added: “It’s strange to think that this will be their last prediction… for now. But it’s the most important one yet – let’s hope it really is coming home on Sunday.”

The activity is part of the zoo’s enrichment programme, which makes sure all the animals enjoy a diverse diet in imaginative and unusual ways.

England will play Italy on Sunday at Wembley in the host nation's first major final since they won the World Cup in 1966.

Animals have been used in the past to predict the outcome of football matches.

A German octopus shot to fame during the 2010 World Cup when he successfully predicted the outcome of eight matches.

He performed his trick by choosing a mussel from one of two boxes bearing the flags of competing nations.

HRH Princess Kate is in the royal box watching the Wimbledon final. I am assuming that HRH Prince William will be sitting alone at Wembley like during the semi-final. If she attends the final, it will make me love her more than I already do. Bring it home England.

Edited by Macklemore

i had intended to write something about england in the knockout rounds but i'm going out to watch the game so here's the short version:

the lizard won't play the players we think he should play, but parcells

so it's down to 1) his selection 2) his strategy and 3) the players getting it done on the day

everyone thinks england need to start fast, and therefore that's exactly what the lizard won't do

buy: henderson, grealish, sancho

sell: pickford, sterling

italy are going to be italy, the english defense is a strength, but pickford is a liability, so england could hold them

but will england do so, and will england take their chances?

score?  no fucking clue

come on you english lionbadgers