New Yorker article on Ricky

Gil Bang

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
2 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

Not a single running back we have on campus remotely looks like him physically. Maybe recruits like Cain with S&C could.

I don't think they make 'em like that anymore. Who was the last hyped-up running back you were truly impressed with? When I was young we got Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk, Ricky Williams. Nowadays it's guys like Derrick Henry (slow), Leonard Fournette (about as shifty as Eddie George), Marcus Lattimore (never impressed me) Mark Ingram (we had three running backs better than him on the 1996 team), whatever shithead Wisconsin is handing off to 40 times this year. 

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I don't think they make 'em like that anymore. Who was the last hyped-up running back you were truly impressed with? When I was young we got Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk, Ricky Williams. Nowadays it's guys like Derrick Henry (slow), Leonard Fournette (about as shifty as Eddie George), Marcus Lattimore (never impressed me) Mark Ingram (we had three running backs better than him on the 1996 team), whatever shithead Wisconsin is handing off to 40 times this year. 

For me you have to add Cedric Benson - that kid in high school was unbelievable - strong / great lean / always falling forward. 

2 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Pains me to say but also Adrian Peterson. I wanted that kid in the worse way. Eric Dickerson 2.0... oh and Eric Dickerson. :)

• Like 1

“Is it inhaling or exhaling?” Park asked. “You might have a phlegm problem. How’s your spleen?”

“Can I look at your tongue?” Williams asked. The visitor obliged. “It’s cracked and red-tipped,” Williams said. “Yin deficient. Do you drink a lot of coffee? You might want to cut that out.” 

WAT?

SPLEEN? WTF?

YIN DEFICIENT?

106c869445e143359720d6683b21b549.gif0c45ec1c6636b4919b813b4434579078.gif8a5867311c25ba993807e103091c63b2.gifd461381f0956fc6191fff5c1a1c1eb63.gif03874cf9a4f7a0fc1908dc236ff2d394.giff3a3db88771442bc1269e982501f5a20.giffb69c73e7d46a4c4a22d1b0308c73059.gifa12d7ff5c42a2e7d31367b2b5d3cae0d.gif

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018 at 3:14 PM, TexasBeta said:

Not a single running back we have on campus remotely looks like him physically. Maybe recruits like Cain with S&C could.

Yeah...there just aren't that many human beings built like Ricky was. I was at UT the same years as Ricky...you'd see him on campus in normal clothes and the dude just looked freaky - have never seen anyone else with a similar build. Barkley is probably similar.

Almost nobody will physically resemble Ricky, no matter how much S&C work they put in. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/16/2018 at 7:02 AM, Bama Llama said:

He has nothing like the explosive burst that Ricky did in his prime but Derrick Henry is anything but slow. Big Ricky fan here - the college game needs more of his  Rickyness, a kind and gentle man who will run over, around or through your ass.

I was on the field when Bama hosted Florida in 2014. Watching Henry run by us was something to behold. I played big high school ball in Texas against guys that went to big programs and played in the pros. It’s hard to make me go “whoa”. Henry was like a fucking horse. And he’s not slow. 

I was friends with one of Ricky’s girlfriends in college and we ended up hanging out a few times through the females. He was a terrific dude. He was a thick hoss, for sure. Smart, soft spoken guy and an easy guy to be around if you weren’t a jock-sniffing choad. 

8 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

So, to be clear. You could be a jock sniffer - that's cool. You could be a choad - also OK. But if you were both a jock sniffer as well as a choad, well just cross him off the list baby.

Did I restate your point accurately?

No. The specific does not invalidate the generic. I bet you’re a blast at parties.

My post was innocuous, but you’ve got to run your insipid mouth. I’ve dealt with a long list of lawyers who weren’t nearly as clever or funny as they thought they were. You play that role well on this board. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No. The specific does not invalidate the generic. I bet you’re a blast at parties.

My post was innocuous, but you’ve got to run your insipid mouth. I’ve dealt with a long list of lawyers who weren’t nearly as clever or funny as they thought they were. You play that role well on this board. 

giphy.gif

On 12/15/2018 at 10:59 PM, Hank Chinaski said:

Yeah...there just aren't that many human beings built like Ricky was. I was at UT the same years as Ricky...you'd see him on campus in normal clothes and the dude just looked freaky - have never seen anyone else with a similar build. Barkley is probably similar.

Almost nobody will physically resemble Ricky, no matter how much S&C work they put in. 

" The Bo Jackson of San Diego":

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sdut-ricky-williams-breitbard-hall-fame-2016feb14-htmlstory.html

550x309

Spoiler

“The Bo Jackson of our city,” longtime San Diego Union-Tribune sports writer Bill Center said of Williams.

Williams, 38, will be inducted into the San Diego Hall of Champions’ Breitbard Hall of Fame on Tuesday night. He’s best known for his exploits on the football field, his green and gold 34 jersey draped across oversized shoulder pads, making like Earl Campbell and flattening defenders one play, scooting outside and sprinting past DBs the next.

Williams’ athleticism, though, was displayed about everywhere on the Patrick Henry campus. He roamed the outfield in baseball and ran a leg on a 4x100 relay team that advanced to the state meet.

And he wrestled, going one-on-one with San Diego High’s Stephen Neal, the future two-time NCAA heavyweight champion and New England Patriotsoffensive lineman.

“I remember Ricky being super quick, super agile and very, very strong,” Neal said regarding their one meeting on the mat. “It was one of those matches where I couldn’t make a mistake or I could get in trouble.”

Neal recalls pinning Williams in the second round. On the football field, where Neal played middle linebacker on defense for the Cavers, the results were different.

“He was a bruiser,” said Neal. “Some guys bragged, ‘I’m going to hit him up top.’ They just bounced right off.”

Former Morse High coach John Shacklett shakes his head recalling the first time the Tigers faced Williams. It was the fall of 1993. Morse was the reigning Division III champions. Williams was a junior. Morse, which had dominated Henry for some time, visited the Patriots and drove home 34-13 losers, Williams busting loose.

“After the game, kids are getting on the bus and I yell, ‘Who the hell is No. 34?’” said Shacklett.

“Oh, that’s Ricky,” a player responded.

“Where did he come from?” Shacklett bellowed.

“He was on the JV last year, but he was slow,” a player said.

“Well,” said Shacklett, “he kicked our (butt) tonight.”

Williams rushed for 2,099 yards his senior year at Henry and was the section’s offensive player of the year.

“He was a man among boys,” said Mission Bay coach Willie Matson, who was coaching at Kearny when Williams lined up in the backfield at Henry.

“He would run over a linebacker one play,” said Matson. “I think he left cleat marks on players. Then the next play, Henry would run the exact same play, the linebacker would be set, ready for the hit and end up grabbing air because Ricky made a move and ran around him.”

Canyon Crest Academy baseball coach Mike Hymes played center field at Torrey Pines and recalls facing Williams on the diamond.

“He was a lot like Bo Jackson,” said Hymes. “He had ridiculous power and ridiculous speed. He could chop a ball off home plate and hit a fricking double.”

Williams, who played the infield and outfield at Henry, was hardly a polished baseball player, his heart clearly into football.

“He was a diamond in the rough,” said 83-year-old Reds scout Mike Wallace. “He had tools, (but) he didn’t know how to use them. He did know how to carry a football.”

The Phillies picked Williams in the eighth round of the 1995 draft. In four minor league seasons, never above Class-A, he batted a combined .211, striking out 31.5 percent of the time. Using the speed that enabled him to advance to the state track meet in high school, Williams stole 46 bases in the minors.

For pure athleticism, former Mission Bay coach Dennis Pugh likens Williams to Lincoln’s Marcus Allen, arguably the greatest football player San Diego has ever produced.

“They’d go out, run the ball, run you over, then run back to the bench. No showboating,” said Pugh. “They just had their special way. There was no emulating other people. They went out and did it the way it was supposed to be done.”

I believe he was preseason offensive newcomer of the year for the SWC in one or more of the preseason mags.  I remember, at the time not following recruiting yet in those days, thinking damn who is that, awesome, OK, cool, hook'em. (Thought it but was not prescient enough to write it out like Tom)(winky eye)

Edit: Then staying up late to watch the Hawaii game and thinking damn, they might be right.(after that scamper, quick hitter, 55 or so yard TD against Hawaii)

Edited by zork

On 11/15/2018 at 4:24 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

S Barkley pretty badass

• 4 months later...