Mass casualty building collapse in Miami

21 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I realize that there have been a few miracles with previous buildings that have collapsed.  That’s not happening here.  Between the fire, the smoke, and the water trying to put the fire out, we are probably not getting good news here.

On 6/29/2021 at 10:36 AM, C-Man said:

At any rate, whatever entity “owns” the building will no longer exist when this is over.

The "owners" will file for bankruptcy before the first case reaches court.  Those same "owners" probably have a representative in Grand Cayman as I type this drawing up a corporate charter for their new shell corporation.

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The "owners" will file for bankruptcy before the first case reaches court.  Those same "owners" probably have a representative in Grand Cayman as I type this drawing up a corporate charter for their new shell corporation.

The owners are the individuals who each own their respective units and an undivided interest in all common areas. It’s a condominium, not an apartment. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I realize that there have been a few miracles with previous buildings that have collapsed.  That’s not happening here.  Between the fire, the smoke, and the water trying to put the fire out, we are probably not getting good news here.

They actually heard tapping and a voice saying "get me out of here" last night, but by the time they got to her, she was dead.
There's no happy endings here.

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

They actually heard tapping and a voice saying "get me out of here" last night, but by the time they got to her, she was dead.
There's no happy endings here.

Sounds like Longhorn football fans after the OU game most years. 

• Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 4

18 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Had a client come in today, and said that he heard tenants had been removing load bearing walls to create more open floor plans.  I haven't heard that reported anywhere else so far.

Surely no contractors are this fucking stupid to just start taking down pillars just because some lady is paying them to.

what to make of this water apparently leaking into the garage right before the collapse?

https://nypost.com/2021/06/30/video-shows-water-gushing-into-garage-moments-before-florida-condo-collapse/

Chilling new video footage shows water gushing into the garage of a Florida condominium building moments before it collapsed last week.

The footage, reportedly shot by a tourist, shows water pouring down underneath Champlain Tower South in Surfside on Thursday shortly before the building pancaked, according to a report by ABC affiliate WLS-TV.

Adrianna Sarmiento told the station she and her husband were swimming in the pool at the nearby Bluegreen Vacations Solara Surfside Resort while on vacation when they heard a loud noise coming from the doomed building.

When they went to investigate, they saw the gushing water and began shooting the video on their mobile phone — with the timestamp showing the time to be 1:18 a.m.

Authorities said the building collapsed around 1:25 a.m.

Edited by AggieFactFinder
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, AggieFactFinder said:

what to make of this water apparently leaking into the garage right before the collapse?

https://nypost.com/2021/06/30/video-shows-water-gushing-into-garage-moments-before-florida-condo-collapse/

Looks like water from a busted pipe.  That may point to the building having "shifted" immediately prior (the loud noise they heard), shifting the pipe out of line and breaking it.  So, the rushing water there wasn't a cause....it was a symptom of a building that was starting to break apart.

Just f'n awful.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, the rushing water there wasn't a cause....it was a symptom of a building that was starting to break apart.

I suspect that the complaints of excessive vibration and so on from the construction next door, were also a symptom and not a cause. The rebar structure was rotting, so what should have been mostly normal vibrations seemed a lot worse, because the building was close to failure.

• Hook 'Em 1

Referring to the female voice earlier

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/miami-florida-building-collapse-07-01-21/h_ea9a67c1f60bbd915df8168522489956

Miami-Dade County Fire Chief Alan Cominsky said during the initial search and rescue efforts hours after the collapse, teams did hear the voice of a female trapped in the Surfside condo rubble – however they were unable to reach her. 

During a news conference on Thursday, Cominsky was asked about a female voice that was heard in the first few hours after the collapse. He said they heard “audible sounds” of a female voice during their initial search and rescue efforts while working underneath the condo structure. Cominsky said they heard the woman's voice for several hours and kept searching until she could no longer be heard. 

“Eventually we didn't hear her voice anymore, we continued to search,” he said. “Again… that's emphasizing the magnitude of what we're going through.”

"The efforts that all of our fire and rescue personnel, everyone that is here on scene, trying to do the best we can in these heroic efforts," Cominsky said. 

That's going to haunt those folks for the rest of their lives, like the trapped sailors in the USS Oklahoma that were tapping on the hull for days while workers tried to get to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Surely no contractors are this fucking stupid to just start taking down pillars just because some lady is paying them to.

Not pillars, bearing walls. I didn't say it was actually happening only that a client staid he heard it.  I was not convinced of that happening, but people have done stupid shit like that before.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Looks like water from a busted pipe.  That may point to the building having "shifted" immediately prior (the loud noise they heard), shifting the pipe out of line and breaking it.  So, the rushing water there wasn't a cause....it was a symptom of a building that was starting to break apart.

Just f'n awful.

That's consistent with the dudes who had a call from his mom.

If the running water issue is involved that would explain a couple things, constant water in the basement, sudden collapse as water had been eroding the ground below the foundation for years, and slowly turning it to mud.  The leak grew to a gushing leak, and that washed out the remaining soil.

One of the guys who survived I think his last name is Rosenthal maybe? I’m on lunch break. I posted his story and link a few pages back. In that article he said residents including himself were willing to and had ponied up $9M for structural improvements. I believe he filed the first lawsuit as well. Quite a bit of their HOA board is in the rubble. So sad the rescuers heard a woman’s voice. And spent hours trying to get to her and couldn’t get to where she was/where the noises were coming from. I mean to survive a collapse like that and still not be rescued? Fucking horrific. ❤️🥺damn that’s terrible.

On 6/30/2021 at 2:40 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Had a client come in today, and said that he heard tenants had been removing load bearing walls to create more open floor plans.  I haven't heard that reported anywhere else so far.

This type of construction has load bearing walls available in "tenant" spaces? I would assume the building has a handful of concrete shear walls, but they wouldnt be located within tenant spaces and they would be cast-in-place concrete.

It's not like knocking down a wood framed wall that happens to be load bearing in single family construction.

dubious of this claim.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

If the running water issue is involved that would explain a couple things, constant water in the basement, sudden collapse as water had been eroding the ground below the foundation for years, and slowly turning it to mud.  The leak grew to a gushing leak, and that washed out the remaining soil.

The water that it sounds like they've been pumping out regularly for the last 20+ years wasn't coming from the same source we saw in that video. That had to be a leak that just appeared and was the result of a shift of the building before coming down a few minutes later.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HouTex said:

It doesn’t seem like we have a resident expert, but I’m wondering what it takes to bring a building like this down. Just one pillar would do it?

Good question. My structural engineer always said structures want to remain standing. They form a conglomeration of pieces, and parts that work to keep themselves up even when one member fails. Design criteria have typically a couple x the required load capacity of the job they're tasked with doing. 

He also said I stand by my design... just not under it.

In structural systems like this with pretty large concentrated loads on columns, and other load bearing members, the loss of one (in a critical location) could bring a building down or start the cascading effect that could bring one down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This concrete building with one of the largest enclosed spaces in the world for almost 2,00 years is 2,500 years old and is still standing.... and it has a hole in its roof 24' in dia.
images-1.jpeg.a7c4245c0cebfcbe9786bbfbdb85bb08.jpeg
Unknown-2.jpeg.730bdb50a6e72c063f9a686c61a603d4.jpeg

I wonder if the Pantheon, or something like St Peter’s Basilica, could even be constructed today with the same level of quality, craftsmanship, and level of detail for any amount of money.

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

This concrete building with one of the largest enclosed spaces in the world for almost 2,00 years is 2,500 years old and is still standing.... and it has a hole in its roof 24' in dia.

images-1.jpeg

Unknown-2.jpeg

But did they use Miami contractors? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I wonder if the Pantheon, or something like St Peter’s Basilica, could even be constructed today with the same level of quality, craftsmanship, and level of detail for any amount of money.

Yes for any amount of money.  A lot of it.

And yeah concrete cracks.  Hydraulic cement, water stops and adeka ultra seal say hi.  As do expansion joints.  It’s an unbelievably useful construction material but it’s not perfect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Another fascinating question.  It's a concrete structure where the 142' diameter (US capitol is 96'), concrete, domed, shell gets thinner, and lighter as it moves from the tops of the supporting masonry sidewalls until it meets at the perimeter of the oculus opening. The coffers, the recessed square ceiling pattern is 100% structural as the removed concrete at each coffer acts to relieve the weight of the concrete between heavier spandrels, ribs, (arches actually) of concrete.  The coolest fucking building in the world (IMO), and it's a masterpiece of engineering, architecture, and construction.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Anyone that even entertains the idea that a condo building constructed in Florida, especially South Florida during the 80's isn't riddled with shortcuts, cheap material and outright negligence is a fool. It was a river of money and everybody was thirsty.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, RPM said:

Anyone that even entertains the idea that a condo building constructed in Florida, especially South Florida during the 80's isn't riddled with shortcuts, cheap material and outright negligence is a fool. It was a river of money and everybody wanted a drink.

The early 80's was a low point in construction practices nationwide. Hurricane Andrew for better, and worse has made building inspections a much more stringent practice in most normal locations.

• Like 4

Another fascinating question.  It's a concrete structure where the concrete, domed, shell gets thinner, and lighter as it moves from the tops of the supporting masonry sidewalls until it meets at the perimeter of the oculus opening. The coffers, the recessed square ceiling pattern is 100% structural as the removed concrete at each coffer acts to relieve the weight of the concrete between heavier spandrels, ribs, (arches actually) of concrete.  The coolest fucking building in the world (IMO), and it's a masterpiece of engineering, architecture, and construction.

I don’t disagree. As a developer, I often wonder what it would be like to create something with an intended useful life of forever.