2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

6 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Sark's only chance at UT is to go full Mel Tucker and overhaul the entire roster this offseason in hopes of changing the culture.

Read something that MSU had 20 guys portal out last year, brought in like 15 to replace them.

Opposite. Had 14 guys leave and 20 come in. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

Opposite. Had 14 guys leave and 20 come in. 

Guys that should probably stay

QB - Wright, Lourd (WO) = 1

RB - Robinson, Johnson (might leave to the NFL), Robinson, Brooks = 4

WR - Worthy, Whittington, Washington, Moore, Alexis = 5

TE - Helm, Sanders, Davis = 3

OL - Angilau, Jones, Johnson, Garth, Hookfin, Karic, Majors, Conner (this is fucking sad) = 8

DL - Ojomo, Sweat, Collins, Murphy, Broughton, Sorrell, Harris, Abiara, Thomas = 9

LB - Oghoufo, Gbenda, Ford, Richardson, Blackwell = 5

CB - Crawford, Barron, Ibraheem, Johnson = 4

S - Adimora, Coffey = 2

ST - Pearson = 1

That's 42 scholarships. Fuck we are in deep shit.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Rage+1 2

Wow. I don’t follow recruiting much anymore but this years performance and the debate about coaching and talent had me digging through the arguments the last few weeks. We are in deep doo doo the next few years if we don’t flip the roster in the portal this year and possibly augment the year after.  

also curious about some posts about sark saying things behind the scenes about how bad the roster is, any truth?

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

Wow. I don’t follow recruiting much anymore but this years performance and the debate about coaching and talent had me digging through the arguments the last few weeks. We are in deep doo doo the next few years if we don’t flip the roster in the portal this year and possibly augment the year after.  

also curious about some posts about sark saying things behind the scenes about how bad the roster is, any truth?

I think the comments made were by Milwee this off season to the effect that Bama’s second string would beat us handily. 

• Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

There are several names on your list (6+) that will not be in Austin next season unless changes are made to the defensive staff. 

i expect that the current roster will be the high water mark for talent and depth in the Sarkisian era, short as that will hopefully be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Guys that should probably stay

QB - Wright, Lourd (WO) = 1

RB - Robinson, Johnson (might leave to the NFL), Robinson, Brooks = 4

WR - Worthy, Whittington, Washington, Moore, Alexis = 5

TE - Helm, Sanders, Davis = 3

OL - Angilau, Jones, Johnson, Garth, Hookfin, Karic, Majors, Conner (this is fucking sad) = 8

DL - Ojomo, Sweat, Collins, Murphy, Broughton, Sorrell, Harris, Abiara, Thomas = 9

LB - Oghoufo, Gbenda, Ford, Richardson, Blackwell = 5

CB - Crawford, Barron, Ibraheem, Johnson = 4

S - Adimora, Coffey = 2

ST - Pearson = 1

But it’s not a talent issue, I’m told

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

But it’s not a talent issue, I’m told

I'm so sick of this binary thinking. COACHES OR PLAYERS PICK A SIDE COWARD!! Do we have playoff talent? No. Do we have 4-5 talent? No. Are we significantly worse than we were under the coach we just fired? Yes.

• Hook 'Em 1

What are those rules? I know coaches can’t contact players from other schools and alumni can’t contact high school kids. I’m just tired of pumping money into this program with ticket sales and donations. I’d rather use that money buying already successful offensive lineman from other schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'm so sick of this binary thinking. COACHES OR PLAYERS PICK A SIDE COWARD!! Do we have playoff talent? No. Do we have 4-5 talent? No. Are we significantly worse than we were under the coach we just fired? Yes.

What pisses me off the most is just how much worse every fucking player has gotten. Just regression across the board. Oh and Sark doing absolutely nothing to counter defensive adjustments. And not using the other Robinson at all. And not having some pass option in the Roschon wildcat. Just un fucking real 

• Like 1

Just now, sportsbay said:

It's content and passive thinking.  Sark thinks he has time to fix this.... say 4-5 years.  Why should he have RJ throwing passes out of the wildcat when it's not really necessary.

So your argument is that Sark isn’t concerned about winning and he doesn’t want to put his players in a position to succeed. Got it 

Just now, sportsbay said:

Nope, it's too much work to get the players to do something to suceed.  We need to churn this roster and process a lot of dead unwilling weight.

But that’s just simply not true. There’s ways to scheme around this shit and sark and pk don’t for whatever stupid fucking reason 

46 minutes ago, JRLonghorn said:

What are those rules? I know coaches can’t contact players from other schools and alumni can’t contact high school kids. I’m just tired of pumping money into this program with ticket sales and donations. I’d rather use that money buying already successful offensive lineman from other schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're asking the right questions friend. 

The portal has its own rules to navigate. What we need is alums lined up to do NIL deals in a way to where the coaches dont have to worry about finding them for specific players. 

For example, Quinn Ewers should already have a "sponsor" ready to go as we speak. I have no idea if thats the case, but I doubt it. 

The Wild West is fun until you realize you have to figure out where to put the settlers shit and protect your town from other raiding parties. 

Look I’m all for additional NIL deals, but no one is signing up for burnt ends anymore and we are having people cancel after these losses. I’m not willing to risk 10s of thousands out of my own pocket because a bunch of people on the internet want to talk shit about paying players, but don’t actually pay them. 

we are continuing burnt ends through 4 seasons at minimum, that’s ~280k over 4 years. It will be a top 5 NIL deal in the entire country if we keep going. As of now I think we are top 15 or 20 at the worst.

now if there are less than 7 players in the room I’m down to pick 1 or 2 additional choice players or positions to award a 1 year thing to - the number we will plan for is always 7 players though. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Can someone remind me what the numbers limits are on how many portal players we can bring in? Does it depend on how many portal out?

Because I'd seriously like to see 10-15, but idk if that's allowed. 

It’s unlimited. There is limits on scholarships though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Can someone remind me what the numbers limits are on how many portal players we can bring in? Does it depend on how many portal out?

Because I'd seriously like to see 10-15, but idk if that's allowed. 

Michigan State signed 20 for this season.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, immamac said:

Look I’m all for additional NIL deals, but no one is signing up for burnt ends anymore and we are having people cancel after these losses. I’m not willing to risk 10s of thousands out of my own pocket because a bunch of people on the internet want to talk shit about paying players, but don’t actually pay them. 

we are continuing burnt ends through 4 seasons at minimum, that’s ~280k over 4 years. It will be a top 5 NIL deal in the entire country if we keep going. As of now I think we are top 15 or 20 at the worst.

now if there are less than 7 players in the room I’m down to pick 1 or 2 additional choice players or positions to award a 1 year thing to - the number we will plan for is always 7 players though. 

Don’t worry man, I’m burnt ends ride or die.  Not backing out on y’all. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ONE YARD said:

Don’t worry man, I’m burnt ends ride or die.  Not backing out on y’all. 

Same! I wish I had more personal money to offer but I am willing to do whatever I can to help this team get better and to help my favorite site on the internet do so. Let’s get this team where it needs to be! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 8:16 PM, LTtxfan said:

This is definitely a transition year for the Texas Football Program.  Yeah, sugarcoating and "smoke and mirrors" positive type comments about where Texas currently is won't help in the long run.   During this month, Texas coaches and player personnel staff must evaluate the returning roster for 2022, and decide who can be productive going forward and who needs to find a new home.  And current Texas players need to decide if they are in or out -- this footall team doesn't need anymore wishy-washy shit from players.   Portal activity should really increase both directions for Texas during this off-season.   SARK better work his ass off to rebuild this fuckin' roster -- figure out what you currently have, and what you must add for the 2022 season to improve this team.  There are no excuses for not bringing in the right type of new players for the right roster spots going into the 2022 season.

Yep

Edited by LTtxfan

This. Is. Stupid. People cancelling their subscriptions after losses. The coaches suck. We aren’t funding them, we are helping fund the TE’a who signed up for this shit show.

I hope those people aren’t the same ones saying we need to pay the high end recruits. Because you know, we could. ( legally of course) If every single one of us actually contributed and stopped bitching. If the BMD’s aren’t gonna do it then we need to step up somehow.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

This. Is. Stupid. People cancelling their subscriptions after losses. The coaches suck. We aren’t funding them, we are helping fund the TE’a who signed up for this shit show.

I hope those people aren’t the same ones saying we need to pay the high end recruits. Because you know, we could. ( legally of course) If every single one of us actually contributed and stopped bitching. If the BMD’s aren’t gonna do it then we need to step up somehow.

I wonder how these losses impact the BMDs willingness to pay. On one hand, they may say fuck this, I'm not throwing money away. On the other, maybe they realize how badly that shit is needed.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utexas8 said:

I love Burnt Ends. But if you want to pay difference-making players, the TE room isn't necessarily where you're looking. It's fucking brilliant as a concept, because it creates this pool of cash that's agnostic of individual players/performance. "You come here you get paid, regardless."

We need performance focus, too, so guys know they'll get paid for making it happen on the field. For instance, you could become a partial investor in a private company for the specific purpose of funding their sponsorship of a certain elite player. And your wife can wonder why the hell you're getting into that business and roll her eyes when you explain it to her. Theoretically. Hypothetically. In Minecraft.

Look at Leverage Lineup and get together with people you know who have private interests and get it moving.

You aren't going to see much with regards to NIL specific moves on this board. Things are moving, though, even if you don't see it here.

We want more movement, of course, as we should.

But immamac is right about the performance on the field and its impact on donations. We are very lucky, though, because even in our doldrums we are going to be throwing around more NIL cash than 80% of teams even when they're successful. And if we ever get to 10+ win seasons again? It's going to get wild.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

Are there rules or laws that prevent me from driving to Columbus, OH and returning to Austin with a non-willing Ewers in my trunk? TIA.

I can almost guarantee you that there’s nothing in the ncaa bylaws specifically related to kidnapping. 

but there might be some sort of blanket clause about not committing crimes.  You might want to review that before you spend too much time planning. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I love Burnt Ends. But if you want to pay difference-making players, the TE room isn't necessarily where you're looking. It's fucking brilliant as a concept, because it creates this pool of cash that's agnostic of individual players/performance. "You come here you get paid, regardless."

We need performance focus, too, so guys know they'll get paid for making it happen on the field. For instance, you could become a partial investor in a private company for the specific purpose of funding their sponsorship of a certain elite player. And your wife can wonder why the hell you're getting into that business and roll her eyes when you explain it to her. Theoretically. Hypothetically. In Minecraft.

Look at Leverage Lineup and get together with people you know who have private interests and get it moving.

You aren't going to see much with regards to NIL specific moves on this board. Things are moving, though, even if you don't see it here.

But immamac is right about the performance on the field and its impact on donations. We are very lucky, though, because even in our doldrums we are going to be throwing around more NIL cash than 80% of teams even when they're successful. And if we ever get to 10+ win seasons again? It's going to get wild.

Have you (or anyone else) come across any sort of resources to help people navigate the process? Contact info from Leverage is one thing, but what about process steps, sample contracts, etc. I imagine most people in a position to participate have no idea what to do even if they want to.

Something like that would be helpful for people in marketing too whose company could do some legit endorsements. 

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Agree with the bolded. In fact it probably should have been the last room considered, as I'd say they have the least amount of impact on this team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, utexas8 said:

While it fucking sucks, I can't say I'm surprised.. Some people want to stick it to the school and they decide to sacrifice this endeavor. 

I'm staying Burnt Endz til the end.. 

I’m staying with burnt ends as well but I’m not sure what impact it’s really making.  Not sure 10k a year is going to get us a difference maker at TE.  I think it would have been more impactful if we signed 1 badass recruit a year for a 1 time 70k payment once they sign but I don’t make these decisions.  I just want to do what I can to improve Longhorn football and this is one way to do it.

Atleast we are trying.  Fuck this university for not finding every way for us to be the leader in this space.  CDC should have had a million dollars lined up from one of our fucking sponsors and divided that up amongst the team in whichever way.  That would have been a fucking statement to recruits and it would have been a dime in the grand scheme of the athlete in department’s budget.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Have you (or anyone else) come across any sort of resources to help people navigate the process? Contact info from Leverage is one thing, but what about process steps, sample contracts, etc. I imagine most people in a position to participate have no idea what to do even if they want to.

Something like that would be helpful for people in marketing too whose company could do some legit endorsements. 

Paying someone for endorsement isn't new ground and commercial lawyers will either handle endorsement agreements for you or know who to send you to. All you need to do is buddy up, come up with a TOTALLY VALID BUSINESS BUILDING REASON TO HIRE SAID ENDORSER and come to terms.

34 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Agree with the bolded. In fact it probably should have been the last room considered, as I'd say they have the least amount of impact on this team. 

It's about mouths to feed divided by food to put in those mouths. The Burnt Ends guys are smart and know exactly what they're doing. An OL room would be expensive to maintain; more guys in higher demand. Elite QBs and elite RBs just probably require more water than they're going to be able to draw out of message board posters. Also, there's only so much they could reasonably pursue as a TOTALLY VALID BUSINESS REASON for this particular venture.

Trust those guys. I don't know any of them personally but I've read everything they've said about this and they're fucking smart.

And if the water rises sufficiently, immamac and Co will use that wisely. DEs could fit in "Burnt Ends" very easily. ;) 

WAR BURNT ENDS

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)