Afghan War ending, foretold by The Onion 10 years Ago [DT thread ruined by politics]

crash_davis

If you think this is the worst foreign policy mistake ever, you must think history started in 2020.

It’s a fuck up but if we get out in the next month, no one will be talking about this by New Years.

”Worst since Reagan?”  Mogadishu, Iraq 2.0, Afghanistan, drone striking the Iranian general, taking both sides in a Syrian Civil War, etc, were all worse.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If you think this is the worst foreign policy mistake ever, you must think history started in 2020.

It’s a fuck up but if we get out in the next month, no one will be talking about this by New Years.

”Worst since Reagan?”  Mogadishu, Iraq 2.0, Afghanistan, drone striking the Iranian general, taking both sides in a Syrian Civil War, etc, were all worse.

Reagan was the dipshit that said we can ignore all this, run up our credit card and snort real cocaine while his wife fried eggs.  Fuck those hypocrites.  

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Whoa, blatant incompetence?   Go fuck yourself.   All the bad shit we are experiencing now, came from Republican administrations and frankly, if you were standing in front of me right now I’d kill you and not feel bad about it.  Again, go fuck your self.  You, your party, and your ilk as you like to call it have done nothing but cause havoc on this great nation.  I look forward to not pissing on your grave, it it were on fire.  Fuck all of you.   I’m done being civil. 

I don't ask you to be civil you pathetic shit.  But blurting drunk rambling and threatening to kill me?  You've fucking lost it.  I'm sure @immamac @blacklabare coolio with death threats but pull your dumb drunk ass together.   As I said before, you're better.  Be better.  

With only Judge Roy Bean here, the zombified Trumpists felt it was their moment evidently. Joyful at an unfolding disaster in Afghanistan that was fathered by many, they focus on their preferred live meat. 

You're looking pretty hungry, guys. Enjoy the snack.

spacer.png

I know you're disappointed you didn't get your fill here.

spacer.png

Finally found something you can hope to make seem bigger than the treachery depicted above of your crew actually attacking the United States. I wholeheartedly believe you give a shit about Afghanistan.

I exempt Overboard from this. I'm still not convinced he's a true Trumpist fanatic. I think he just has trouble letting go of the old playbook. I also like our shared cinematic tastes. Lastly, I don't recall him on the PizzaGate thread defending the absurdly indefensible. I don't think Aggie08 is nuts, either.

You other guys, enjoy the smug moment where the guys you are conditioned to hate have likely erred but not nearly has horribly as your hyperbole indicates that you believe to be so. 

The mob can feast on this tasty, plump rabbit. Yay for your side! 

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

With only Judge Roy Bean here, the zombified Trumpists felt it was their moment evidently. Joyful at an unfolding disaster in Afghanistan that was fathered by many, they focus on their preferred live meat. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Finally found something you can hope to make seem bigger than the treachery depicted above of your crew actually attacking the United States. I wholeheartedly believe you give a shit about Afghanistan.

I exempt Overboard from this. I'm still not convinced he's a true Trumpist fanatic. I think he just has trouble letting go of the old playbook. I also like our shared cinematic tastes. Lastly, I don't recall him on the PizzaGate thread defending the absurdly indefensible. I don't think Aggie08 is nuts, either.

You other guys, enjoy the smug moment where the guys you are conditioned to hate have likely erred but not nearly has horribly as your hyperbole indicates that you believe to be so. 

Self awareness score: Zero point Zero.

• Fuck You 1

36 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

I don't ask you to be civil you pathetic shit.  But blurting drunk rambling and threatening to kill me?  You've fucking lost it.  I'm sure @immamac @blacklabare coolio with death threats but pull your dumb drunk ass together.   As I said before, you're better.  Be better.  

I mean the post has an edit remark and he's banned what more do you want?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The State Fair of Texas may not even open by the time all that talk dies down.

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

How long are you going to use trumpkin as a cudgel/crutch.  Biden has been pretty fucking pathetic and showing a picture of 300 fucking idiots wont change that.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

How long are you going to use trumpkin as a cudgel/crutch.  Biden has been pretty fucking pathetic and showing a picture of 300 fucking idiots wont change that.

Another political norm Trump is destroying: we like our former presidents to shut the fuck up, and let the new President have their shot. So, maybe until he shuts the fuck up?

Minimizing the sedition tour, the Big Lie, and 1/6 is ankle grabbing. You do you.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Edit
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

I'll have a very difficult time intellectually keeping up with the same old right wing strategies of the past. Don't be too hard on me, please.

How long until we hear that Biden is the most divisive/illegitimate/senile president in history? Nobody's seen this kind of incompetence before! Y'all were all just standing around whistling Dixie and rocking back and forth on your heels with your hands in your pocket when every media outlet came up to you with tears in their eyes lamenting the failure of the Biden presidency!

I'll probably have trouble not crying when exposed to that sort of blistering attack.

I'm really disappointed that my pictures of zombies and idiots won't change things. I had high hopes. But one shouldn't expect high-powered intellectuals to appreciate metaphor. Or irony. You're too busy being smug for absolutely no discernable reason.

Lastly, Trump is relevant to this discussion as he, up until about a week ago, advocated and even set a policy for us to get out of Afghanistan in a big fucking hurry. His supporters coming around howling about Biden also makes a comparative discussion relevant.

I suppose everything that happens with Covid including anti-vaxxer/maskers is Biden's fault, too. 

Maybe you guys should have a big, crowded indoor rally packed with supporters to show your disdain for poor, dumb, senile, divisive Biden. You're just about guaranteed to make America better as a result.

Enjoy your bunny rabbit dinner as the disaster in Afghanistan unfolds under Biden's administration. Hooray!

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Another political norm Trump is destroying: we like our former presidents to shut the fuck up, and let the new President have their shot. So, maybe until he shuts the fuck up?

Minimizing the sedition tour, the Big Lie, and 1/6 is ankle grabbing. You do you.

What?  Does this make Biden's incompetence make you feel better?

11 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I'll have a very difficult time intellectually keeping up with the same old right wing strategies of the past. Don't be too hard on me, please.

How long until we hear that Biden is the most divisive/illegitimate/senile president in history? Nobody's seen this kind of incompetence before! Y'all were all just standing around whistling Dixie and rocking back and forth on your heels with your hands in your pocket when every media outlet came up to you with tears in their eyes lamenting the failure of the Biden presidency!

I'll probably have trouble not crying when exposed to that sort of blistering attack.

I'm really disappointed that my pictures of zombies and idiots won't change things. I had high hopes. But one shouldn't expect high-powered intellectuals to appreciate metaphor. Or irony. You're too busy being smug for absolutely no discernable reason.

Lastly, Trump is relevant to this discussion as he, up until about a week ago, advocated and even set a policy for us to get out of Afghanistan in a big fucking hurry. His supporters coming around howling about Biden also makes a comparative discussion relevant.

I suppose everything that happens with Covid including anti-vaxxer/maskers is Biden's fault, too. 

Maybe you guys should have a big, crowded indoor rally packed with supporters to show your disdain for poor, dumb, senile, divisive Biden. You're just about guaranteed to make America better as a result.

Enjoy your bunny rabbit dinner as the disaster in Afghanistan unfolds under Biden's administration. Hooray!

Wtf was I being smug about.  I wander in and out of cr on occasion and rarely actually post.  Y'all just fucking make shit up, post stupid pictures, lack any honesty of the shitshow that's going on and treat anybody who posts something counter as less than human.  Cheers.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Wtf was I being smug about.  I wander in and out of cr on occasion and rarely actually post.  Y'all just fucking make shit up, post stupid pictures, lack any honesty of the shitshow that's going on and treat anybody who posts something counter as less than human.  Cheers.  

Jimmyjames will report this and ask for your banning, you troll.

Spiers(Johnson)! Get out there and relieve Dike(Biden) of his duties!!!

3 hours ago, Poolflood said:

What?  Does this make Biden's incompetence make you feel better?

Can you enumerate what Biden has been incompetent on? I mean other than sticking to the deadline for leaving Afghanistan put in place by the previous admin and made pretty much inevitable by the aforementioned’s prior drawdowns of troop strength in the preceding months/years? Or maybe you’re concerned with the Afghan interpreters and other workers left behind? You know, the ones who have been in queue for visas made almost impossible to obtain, again by TrumpCo?  

I do wish we had gotten all our US civilians to Kabul and on their way out of the country prior to drawing down to bare bones military presence, but the rest of the shit, while tragic, was inevitable, and IMO not worth one more casualty on our side to prevent. It’s been 20 years, 6000 plus deaths, 20,000 plus wrecked bodies and innumerable shattered psyches for our side. It’s enough

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

This morning, Blinken sidesteps a question from Wallace about does the president know what’s going on?

I guess it can’t be a top 10 US foreign policy failure if the POTUS doesn’t have a clue what’s happening, eh ace? Catch 22……

jesus christ hashtag GIF by Veep HBO

I’m confused by a great deal in this thread lol. Trump was able to blame Obama for bad shit that happened his first year? Biden gets to put blame on trump so he doesn’t take all the scrutiny? Aren’t these elected officials who wanted to be the most powerful men on earth? They should be able to handle big boy problems with big boy solutions and when they fuck it up they should take big boy ass chewings. Kicking the can down the road does nobody any good at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I am not really active in the Afghanistan threads because I can only muster so much outrage over the current state of our nation.  This is absolutely a sad fiasco and Joe Biden deserves criticism, but it’s the anti-vaxx assholes here at home that are getting people I know killed.  That’s where my anger and outrage is directed.

So, I’m sorry to the omg the fall of Afghanistan is the worst thing ever crowd. Images that bring to mind the fall of Saigon don’t really register in the “WHAT THE FUCK!!!” part of my brain right now.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

On 8/22/2021 at 2:54 PM, Goredho said:

I am not really active in the Afghanistan threads because I can only muster so much outrage over the current state of our nation.  This is absolutely a sad fiasco and Joe Biden deserves criticism, but it’s the anti-vaxx assholes here at home that are getting people I know killed.  That’s where my anger and outrage is directed.

So, I’m sorry to the omg the fall of Afghanistan is the worst thing ever crowd. Images that bring to mind the fall of Saigon don’t really register in the “WHAT THE FUCK!!!” part of my brain right now.

You can be outraged about covid, and be outraged about this. You really need to bone up on your history, because the whole doomed to repeat history when you don't learn from it was evidenced by the last 20 years in Afghanistan, and this admin. did exactly what Nixon did in Viet Nam, tucked tail ran, and left behind lots of vulnerable people who assisted us in the fight.  It's not ancient history.  It's the same game plan we've been using since about 1950.

I am in somewhat of disbelief that there really were no contingencies. Sorry Mr. Biden, but your comment to the contrary was just a lie.  If there were contingency plans for every scenario then we wouldn't have been caught with our pants down, and we would have executed one or more of those plans...

Again, I'm not laying this solely at Mr. Bidens feet. The Trump admin. along with the previous admins. have fault here.  Trump bears a good deal of it because he didn't create anything to start the process of helping those folks who helped us it seems.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

This morning, Blinken sidesteps a question from Wallace about does the president know what’s going on?

I guess it can’t be a top 10 US foreign policy failure if the POTUS doesn’t have a clue what’s happening, eh ace? Catch 22……

Wallace's question is fair. It's good journalism. His follow-up pressed the question. Good work.

Is there any reason your video from the RNC doesn't include the secretary's second response? I honestly would like to know. Can you post that, too? Or maybe the better question is, would you?

Again, Wallace's question is fair and deserves answer.

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Wallace's question is fair. It's good journalism. His follow-up pressed the question. Good work.

Is there any reason your video from the RNC doesn't include the secretary's second response? I honestly would like to know. Can you post that, too? Or maybe the better question is, would you?

Chris Wallace has always been a pretty good, unbiased journalist IMO, a dying breed.

• Hook 'Em 3

That’s what I found.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It's not ancient history.  It's the same game plan that everyone who has tried to conquer that godforsaken place and its Stone Age relic inhabitants has utilized on the way out since recorded history began

Fixed 

Edited by Sawbonz

Imagine if, during the 20 years we were over there, the interpreters and other key afghan workers we utilized had been vetted and given visas in anticipation of this inevitable withdrawal. How much smoother would things be going right now?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Imagine if, during the 20 years we were over there, the interpreters and other key afghan workers we utilized had been vetted and given visas in anticipation of this inevitable withdrawal. How much smoother would things be going right now?

This.  The groundwork on our side for an organized withdrawal should have been in place long ago (pre-Biden in other words).  Every interpreter or collaborator should have had a visa and a seat on a US plane, if they wanted one.  I have no idea why it wasn't, so if you have info, post it.  But I'm guessing when we started pulling out it didn't seem like things were going to better than go the way they are going now. 

Having said that, the Afghans have shown how much the love and value what we tried to teach them over 20 years in the past few weeks.  People storming the airport and making it non-functional should kind of tell anyone they are a chaotic lot and easy pickings for the Taliban.  

Edited by Bullneck
Lazy first draft; leaving my edit visible
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

if you have info, post it. 

Ex-Pence aide: Trump and Miller stymied Afghan refugee efforts

A top Homeland Security adviser to former Vice President Mike Pence accused the Trump administration of distorting the truth about Afghan refugees, writing on Twitter that the former president and Stephen Miller, his top immigration adviser, sought to prevent the refugees from entering the United States.

In an interview, Olivia Troye recalled sitting in meetings where Miller demanded restrictions on refugees, including those from Afghanistan and Iraq. She said the reductions in the refugee program during Donald Trump’s presidency hollowed out the government’s ability to bring the interpreters and others to the United States.

“Now we are in this crisis and they are saying Trump would have evacuated them,” Troye said. “But he didn’t in four years. You don’t get to play revisionist history here. There are people who know what the situation is.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/ex-pence-aide-trump-and-miller-stymied-afghan-refugee-efforts/%3famp=1

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

A lot were. My two were out about 4 years ago. We saw the program and jumped on it. It took about a year and a lot of letter writing, but we did it. The issue was also this. What about the parents and siblings? Once Amir gets out, he leaves them all behind. Was a rough decision and we have been trying to get the family out since Amir arrived in the US. The issue is he cannot sponsor them since he is not a citizen, just a legal resident. The options were refugee camps in Pakistan or Iran. Not great situations. 

I am not alone in this. All of my friends have been getting people out for years. The program existed and those who could see what was coming took advantage of it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Pompeo et al also excluded the Afghan govt from direct negotiations with taliban leadership which undercut its legitimacy. My gut feeling is there was a plan in place, had Trump won re-election, for a controlled withdrawal of American personnel followed by our troops, followed by a rapid takeover by the taliban with subsequent recognition of the new government by the US. Any such plan would not include ensuring the safety of Afghans who helped us over the years or their families

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

A lot were. My two were out about 4 years ago. We saw the program and jumped on it. It took about a year and a lot of letter writing, but we did it. The issue was also this. What about the parents and siblings? Once Amir gets out, he leaves them all behind. Was a rough decision and we have been trying to get the family out since Amir arrived in the US. The issue is he cannot sponsor them since he is not a citizen, just a legal resident. The options were refugee camps in Pakistan or Iran. Not great situations. 

I am not alone in this. All of my friends have been getting people out for years. The program existed and those who could see what was coming took advantage of it. 

That is awesome of you. Terrible they have to choose between their personal safety and their families. Also I’m sure there can and will be repercussions on family members left behind. 

9 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

That is awesome of you. Terrible they have to choose between their personal safety and their families. Also I’m sure there can and will be repercussions on family members left behind. 

That is the fear. When they start looking for Amir they will go straight for the family. Issue now is if you are not in Kabul there is no way out at all. So you hope things settle down and then make a run for Iran. From there to the EU we hope. at least that is the plan now. Should the US start evacuation from other places we will go that route. I will sponsor the family if this is allowed. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

Every interpreter or collaborator should have had a visa and a seat on a US plane, if they wanted one.  I have no idea why it wasn't, so if you have info, post it.

This is from this week:

https://money.yahoo.com/former-pence-aide-says-trump-173827667.html

This is from two years ago:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/trump-admin-broke-law-visa-delays-afghans-iraqis-who-worked-n1057846

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Come back when you learn debate. I salute you as a fellow human. Yuuuuge accomplishment!

I believe facts are a part of a debate and must be presented by both parties.   This isn't a debate it is a discussion with an idiot.   Unfortunately, shouting them down seems to be the better strategy as the idiots are addicted to dopamine hits from likes from other idiots.    I just ventured into our football forum and there are people happy that a dude pulled a Joe Mixon on a woman, then punched out some other dude instead of walking away like a man.