New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)

mdmost

10 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

So they also have idiots that don't realize pods aren't happening?

Not pods, but there's perms and the rest rotating, give me OU aggy and piggy as our perms and I'll be happy.  But, it makes more sense based on revenue, having Mizzou play us and OU and aggy or maybe Arky? Having Missouri playing in the Eastern division, didn't do Missouri any favors developing any sort of regional rivalries, outside of Arkansas.  About the only ones they can pair Mizzou with and generate revenue from is OU, and then either us,  aggy, or Arkansas.  It makes the most sense, money wise to put UT/OU/Aggy/Mizzou all playing each other as permanent games, and doing the same with  the two Mississippi schools, LSU and Arkansas.i

Which the makes it easier to group the other permanent games being.

Bama, Auburn, Tenn, And Vandy, 

Georgia, Florida, So Car, and Kentucky 

It preserves  the core of the SECs biggest rivalries, while giving LSU a bonus for losing the yearly Alabama game. But it isn't like they will only see Alabama a couple of times a decade +, they will still play them regularly.

Keeping it simple by having permanent rivals grouped together like this, makes it easier to set the schedule to have at least two  big time games every weekend.

So, the only one bringing up pods is you... 

I think DKR will sell out more in the sec. Not only with opposing teams but our own fans. We all would rather see Texas play anyone in the sec minus Kentucky, Missouri, Vanderbilt, maybe miss state than almost most of the big xii teams.

Not a fan of Arkansas being a yearly game but I’m also not old enough to remember when they were in the same conference. Would rather have lsu.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

I think DKR will sell out more in the sec. Not only with opposing teams but our own fans. We all would rather see Texas play anyone in the sec minus Kentucky, Missouri, Vanderbilt, maybe miss state than almost most of the big xii teams.

Not a fan of Arkansas being a yearly game but I’m also not old enough to remember when they were in the same conference. Would rather have lsu.

After a couple of years of playing Arky, you will find out why it was a rivalry back in the day.    Starting off with their fans which might rival OUSux as far as class or lack of.  

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

After a couple of years of playing Arky, you will find out why it was a rivalry back in the day.    Starting off with their fans which might rival OUSux as far as class or lack of.  

Outside of exchanging the middle finger and some fuck OU/UT’s I don’t find Oklahoma fans that bad. Arkansas fans are shitheads way worse than A&M and OU. Imo Tech fans are more similar to Arkansas fans. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Outside of exchanging the middle finger and some fuck OU/UT’s I don’t find Oklahoma fans that bad. Arkansas fans are shitheads way worse than A&M and OU. Imo Tech fans are more similar to Arkansas fans. 

Tech and Ohio State have lapped the field. I think Lubbock would be worse than Columbus if they could fill a 100k stadium. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Thank goodness Tech will be our last game in the Rig 12 next season and it will be in Austin.  After this last season and the way McGuire and the rest of them have carried on about their Super Bowl like victory against us in Lubbock, I hope we kick their ass and then some.   

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Gaffords said:

Not pods, but there's perms and the rest rotating, give me OU aggy and piggy as our perms and I'll be happy.  But, it makes more sense based on revenue, having Mizzou play us and OU and aggy or maybe Arky? Having Missouri playing in the Eastern division, didn't do Missouri any favors developing any sort of regional rivalries, outside of Arkansas.  About the only ones they can pair Mizzou with and generate revenue from is OU, and then either us,  aggy, or Arkansas.  It makes the most sense, money wise to put UT/OU/Aggy/Mizzou all playing each other as permanent games, and doing the same with  the two Mississippi schools, LSU and Arkansas.i

Which the makes it easier to group the other permanent games being.

Bama, Auburn, Tenn, And Vandy, 

Georgia, Florida, So Car, and Kentucky 

It preserves  the core of the SECs biggest rivalries, while giving LSU a bonus for losing the yearly Alabama game. But it isn't like they will only see Alabama a couple of times a decade +, they will still play them regularly.

Keeping it simple by having permanent rivals grouped together like this, makes it easier to set the schedule to have at least two  big time games every weekend.

So, the only one bringing up pods is you... 

Hey Einstein, grouped rivalries in sets of 4 are PODS, and pods are not happening.

Also who gives a fuck about Mizzou? Do you really think Mizzou/OU would generate any significant amount of revenue? The new SEC has 8 programs with titles in the BCS/CFP era, 3 with titles pre BCS, and 5 with no titles. Mizzou is in that last group and doesn’t have any history (outside of Oklahoma) that they can leverage within the SEC which makes them fairly unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Mizzou will be rivals with Oklahoma due to their Big8/12 history, and at least one school somewhat geographically close to them (think Arkansas, Kentucky, Vandy) and whoever else is left over that needs a 3rd rival (like South Carolina or Mississippi St).

On 2/10/2023 at 4:46 PM, ABSR said:

Texas A&M played their first SEC game in 2012.  They played Georgia in a conference game for the first (and only time) in 2019.  Not sure this is an issue keeping the SEC up at night.

That says more about the lack of brand power that a&m has than anything else. They were an addition based on location only &, if it wasn't obvious before, it's very obvious now.

32 minutes ago, hook me said:

That says more about the lack of brand power that a&m has than anything else. They were an addition based on location only &, if it wasn't obvious before, it's very obvious now.

It's more along the lines the SEC wants the cupcake game week in November before the the last games of the season in order to buffer their poll slots.    If the SEC played three non conference games like the rest of the P5's, then the opportunities for the SEC West/East teams to meet more often would've been there.  But still I don't get why the gap with aggy playing UGA is there while they've played Florida and South Carolina several times.   

On 2/10/2023 at 9:40 PM, HtownHorn said:

Pods/divisions don't make a shit. It's likely going to be a 16-team conference, where the top 2 teams play for the championship.

It seems to me that most years the top 2 SEC teams will already be deemed top 4 and have secured the playoff bye before the conference championship game is even played. Will there be incentives for the teams to rest players and not take the game seriously? I think it could be an unintended consequence of expanding to 12.

Edited by 'stache

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

It seems to me that most years the top 2 SEC teams will already be deemed top 4 and have secured the playoff bye before the conference championship game is even played. Will there be incentives for the teams to rest players and not take the game seriously? I think it could be an unintended consequence of expanding to 12.

Absolutely, which is why I've said I would rather be the #3 SEC team and host a playoff game, than play in the SEC championship game.

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Fighting for the bye is probably priority #1 followed by getting as many teams in the field of 12 as possible.

On 2/10/2023 at 6:50 PM, GringoSalado said:

I would say that Nick Saban won 7 and the SEC tied him with 7 of their own, which is impressive. 

I always thought that 14 SEC national championships was made far more impressive by the fact that five different teams won it.  

The Big 12 won with OU and Texas. The ACC has Clemson and FSU. The Big Ten has Ohio State and.….. that’s it.    The Pac 12 taps out at USC.

If you made the period 25 years instead of 20 years, we could add Tennessee, making it six different SEC teams winning the national championship in 25 years.    

Most conferences have one or two teams good enough to win a national championship.  To me, the SEC’s five or six different teams is more impressive than just Alabama’s ridiculous run.

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Only conference champs can get byes (this was the Notre Dame rule). So only the winner of the SECCG will get that.

Can't wade through everything here for the info ... so what's the most likely way this all shakes out? Do we get aggy, pig, and ou every year. Bama every year or every other year? Etc. Anyone got a Cliff's notes version? 

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Watched the SB at the aggy house across the street last night. They were not amused when someone brought up Texas to the SEC. Then, of course they said the first game better be in CS, like that's some kinda huge victory for them. LOL. The tears. So good.  /csb

26 minutes ago, wood said:

Can't wade through everything here for the info ... so what's the most likely way this all shakes out? Do we get aggy, pig, and ou every year. Bama every year or every other year? Etc. Anyone got a Cliff's notes version? 

Thanks in advance.

• 9-game SEC sked
  • 3 permanent rivals - aggy, okie, and pig every year
  • Remaining 6 SEC games played home & home every 4 years against all others
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Fighting for the bye is probably priority #1 followed by getting as many teams in the field of 12 as possible.

But it's not really a bye. The SEC championship game is a de facto quarter final. In fact, the loser, will have to play in an extra game.

18 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

But it's not really a bye. The SEC championship game is a de facto quarter final. In fact, the loser, will have to play in an extra game.

While true. The chance to win the conference plus the bye outweighs the risk Imo.  Will a national champion end up being 16-0 or 17-0 if they run the table? 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

2 hours ago, DFW Horn said:
  • 9-game SEC sked

What a great conference where there can go a presidential administration without playing another member. 

5 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

What a great conference where there can go a presidential administration without playing another member. 

There's 12 other teams... you play every other team every other year in the other six games... 

Home and home means one of those will be home and the other away..

Dumb fuck

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Zeus said:

There's 12 other teams... you play every other team every other year in the other six games... 

Home and home means one of those will be home and the other away..

Dumb fuck

Ok, I made a mistake. We play at every other team's stadium once every presidential administration.

Why are you acting so butt hurt? Sorry I offended you.

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Ok, I made a mistake. We play at every other team's stadium once every presidential administration.

Why are you acting so butt hurt? Sorry I offended you.

UT is playing the other 12 teams twice - home & away - every 4 years.

Sorry if my previous post was confusing. This is significantly better than the current SEC scheduling, where aggy has only played UGA once since they joined in 2012.

5 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

UT is playing the other 12 teams twice - home & away - every 4 years.

Sorry if my previous post was confusing. This is significantly better than the current SEC scheduling, where aggy has only played UGA once since they joined in 2012.

Nah, it's not your post. It's a jumble with 16 different teams. I actually got to like having 10 teams where you play everyone every season. 

40 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Nah, it's not your post. It's a jumble with 16 different teams. I actually got to like having 10 teams where you play everyone every season. 

I did too.  I loved the full roundrobin, that was one great thing about the 2011-2023 B12.  Probably the only great thing about it.

But there should be no surprises here-- 16 team conferences are a complete scheduling disaster.  They suck.  It was never going to be easy or have a simple, elegant solution.

At this point, all that can be done, is make the best of a tough situation.  And I can only speak for myself but I think the 3-6/6 is the best solution, or more truthfully, the least worst solution.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I did too.  I loved the full roundrobin, that was one great thing about the 2011-2023 B12.  Probably the only great thing about it.

But there should be no surprises here-- 16 team conferences are a complete scheduling disaster.  They suck.  It was never going to be easy or have a simple, elegant solution.

At this point, all that can be done, is make the best of a tough situation.  And I can only speak for myself but I think the 3-6/6 is the best solution, or more truthfully, the least worst solution.

I like the 3 permanent rivalries, but that is going to piss some people off. It still better than the 1 permanent rival, but it is nearly impossible to keep all the rivalries/in-state games together. 

3 hours ago, DFW Horn said:
  • 9-game SEC sked

We're pretty obvious and easy.  Georgia getting Florida, Auburn and South Carolina is pretty obvious.  Most of the rest, the 3rd team could be several options.

This is the Athletic's best guess:

Possible permanent SEC opponents
TEAM OPPONENTS
Auburn, Tennessee, Mississippi State
Ole Miss, Missouri, Texas
Georgia, Florida, Alabama
Georgia, Auburn, South Carolina
Auburn, Florida, South Carolina
Vanderbilt, Tennessee, South Carolina
team-logo-267-50x50.pngLSU
Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Oklahoma
Ole Miss, Alabama, Texas A&M
Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Oklahoma
Texas, Missouri, LSU
Mississippi State, Arkansas, LSU
Georgia, Kentucky, Florida
Alabama, Kentucky, Vanderbilt
Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Arkansas
Texas, LSU, Mississippi State
Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

TEAM OPPONENTS
Texas, Missouri, LSU

I have a hard time imagining Auburn is getting Florida along with Bama and UGA.  That's rough.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I have a hard time imagining Auburn is getting Florida along with Bama and UGA.  That's rough.

Until the early 90's with 2 divisions that was what Auburn had every year almost back/back/back.  Auburn, Georgia and Florida played a mini round robin starting Halloween every year. Auburn got Florida then Georgia, someone for homecoming and then Alabama. Coach Dye called it Amen Corner

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

TEAM OPPONENTS
Texas, Missouri, LSU

aggy is just dying to get Miss St as a permanent rival. They are using their press outlets to wishcast. There is zero historical relevance to that rivalry other than Mike Leach kicking their asses the last decade. Aggy should get Texas, OU, LSU. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

aggy is just dying to get Miss St as a permanent rival. They are using their press outlets to wishcast. There is zero historical relevance to that rivalry other than Mike Leach kicking their asses the last decade. Aggy should get Texas, OU, LSU. 

I thought aggy vs arky @ JerryWorld was a new turdition rivaling the RRS?

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

3 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

I thought aggy vs arky @ JerryWorld was a new turdition rivaling the RRS?

Texas, aggy, arky, and ou should all get each other.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Fuck aggy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

This is not right

aggy has played LSU more than OU 
Oklahoma has played Mizzou more than anyone other than Texas
Arkansas has more history with LSU and Ole Miss than OU

They’re not doing pods, but it’s not as wrong as you suggest. While it’s true that A&M has played LSU more than OU, LSU has played the two Mississippi schools and Alabama a lot more than A&M.  Similarly, while Arkansas has more history with LSU and Ole Miss than OU, Ole Miss has played Miss State, LSU, and Vandy way more than Arkansas.  Obviously they cannot just match up the teams that have played the most, because that is often not true for both sides of each “rivalry.”

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I’ll buy it. The Athletic is very affiliated with TexAgs. 

Texas in the Triangle of Hate while aggy pretends to be a Deep South  school would be curious. 

LSU fan is going to riot if they draw OU every year. Bitching about their schedule is a LSU time honored tradition. Right up there with night games and playing Neck. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

• immamac changed the title to New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)