New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)

mdmost

20 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Nine conference games

No divisions

Three permanent opponents for each team, rotation for the other six each year.

Top two records play for SEC championship

Go

(please note this is not a pod system, so don’t call it that)

So Texas gets OU, Arkansas, and the guys from CStat?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, I like the 3 + 6 as well. It will be nice to get some different SEC teams rolling through DKR and not be the same few over and over. 

I guess it depends on ESPN paying for the extra conference game.  But 1+7 isn't going to happen.  It might be 2+6 or 3+5.  Georgia isn't going to have to choose between Auburn and Florida.  Alabama isn't going to have to choose between Auburn and Tennessee.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Man fuck all that helping out Oklahoma with those two shitass other permanent games.

Yep they can have Mizzou but they have to pair them with a better 3rd game than MSU.

The two models I like have their 3rd game as either LSU or Florida.

Edited by TKthunder2

13 hours ago, mdmost said:

Will ESPN pony up the money? Do they still want to broadcast college football games that people watch because, if so, the SEC has them by the balls now that the B1G has moved on to FOX/CBS/NBC. ESPN can get cheap inventory with the ACC/PAC12/Big 12 & when the ACC blows up in 2 years they'll be off the hook for that money & can consolidate their expenses even more. They're not going to fuck around & find out with the SEC though, especially after all the work they did to get UT & OU there in time for 2024.

22 minutes ago, hook me said:

…when the ACC blows up in 2 years they'll be off the hook for that money & can consolidate their expenses even more.

ACC deal runs through 2036 (they extended it and their GOR to get their ACC Network), and it’s dirt cheap all thing considered.

Only other game in town is the PAC10 and they’ve already said they won’t pay them more than the B12 so Amazon appears to be in the lead for 90% of the P10 rights with ESPN only getting a partial tier one package for fb.

And yes, Texas and Oklahoma and the SEC wouldn’t have gone through all this unless ESPN was committed to this move. They’ll pay.

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

Are they still going to experiment with the pods idea or are we just doing east and west divisions? 

No divisions (or single division) is what has been basically decided per reports.

Two options last reported. They want to make sure they play home/away at every school in a 4 year period.

3-6-6 or 9 game model (you have 3 annual rivals and rotate the other schools on an every other year basis)

1-7-7 or 8 game model (only 1 annual rivalry)

Smaller schools (without a ton of traditional rivals) reportedly want the 8 games (SC, MSU, UK, Vandy) to keep their losses low and give them a better chance for bowls. The large schools with many rivals want the 9 games so a school like Bama doesn’t have to pick between Auburn and Tennessee, or Georgia between Auburn and Florida. Plus it also means more money from ESPN.

12 hours ago, petscii said:

I only wonder two things: How will baseball be scheduled for the last big12 season next year with the four new teams.  How soon before aggie bails for another conference.

Well, aggy thinks their “brand” is so elite, they should go independent and negotiate their own media contract deals. 
Look at the bang up job they did with JF’s contract.

I've posted this before, but this would maximize primary and secondary rivalries:

Texas: Oklahoma, A&M, Arkansas
Oklahoma: Texas, Mizzou, Kentucky
A&M: Texas, LSU, Arkansas
Mizzou: Oklahoma, Arkansas, South Carolina
LSU: A&M, Ole Miss, Miss. St.
Arkansas: Texas, A&M, Mizzou
Miss St.: Ole Miss, Alabama, LSU
Ole Miss: Miss. St., LSU, Vandy
Alabama: Auburn, Tennessee, Miss. St.
Auburn: Alabama, Georgia, Florida
Tennessee: Vandy, Alabama, Kentucky
Vanderbilt: Tennessee, Ole Miss, Kentucky
Kentucky: Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Oklahoma
Georgia: Auburn, Florida, South Carolina
South Carolina: Georgia, Florida, Mizzou
Florida: Georgia, South Carolina, Auburn

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

No divisions (or single division) is what has been basically decided per reports.

Two options last reported. They want to make sure they play home/away at every school in a 4 year period.

3-6-6 or 9 game model (you have 3 annual rivals and rotate the other schools on an every other year basis)

1-7-7 or 8 game model (only 1 annual rivalry)

Smaller schools (without a ton of traditional rivals) reportedly want the 8 games (SC, MSU, UK, Vandy) to keep their losses low and give them a better chance for bowls. The large schools with many rivals want the 9 games so a school like Bama doesn’t have to pick between Auburn and Tennessee, or Georgia between Auburn and Florida. Plus it also means more money from ESPN.

I don't see any way they go to a 1 annual rivalry considering so many have at least 2 annual rivals that they will want to play:

Texas - Oklahoma, aggy

Alabama - Auburn, Tennessee

Georgia - Florida, Auburn

Auburn - Alabama, Georgia

Tennessee - Alabama, Vandy

I could also see aggy with Texas/LSU and LSU with aggy/Florida. 

On 10/19/2022 at 2:30 PM, Hozz said:

9 conference games, no divisions or pods.  Every team has 3 annual 'rivalry' games and plays another 6 other schools.  This would have every team playing each other at least once every two years and you can preserve most rivalries and create some big time money with new ones, like Texas-Alabama.

15 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Nine conference games

No divisions

Three permanent opponents for each team, rotation for the other six each year.

Top two records play for SEC championship

Go

(please note this is not a pod system, so don’t call it that)

14 hours ago, Ignatius said:

This is the only system that makes any sense at all…

14 hours ago, taybo20 said:

I vote 3 + 6,  

14 hours ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, I like the 3 + 6 as well. It will be nice to get some different SEC teams rolling through DKR and not be the same few over and over. 

+whatever.

16-team conferences are complete shit, but if we must do it, then 3+6 is the best solution.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

ACC deal runs through 2036 (they extended it and their GOR to get their ACC Network), and it’s dirt cheap all thing considered.

Only other game in town is the PAC10 and they’ve already said they won’t pay them more than the B12 so Amazon appears to be in the lead for 90% of the P10 rights with ESPN only getting a partial tier one package for fb.

And yes, Texas and Oklahoma and the SEC wouldn’t have gone through all this unless ESPN was committed to this move. They’ll pay.

I was thinking 2026 instead of 2036. Holy crap what a terrible deal for the ACC, there's no way those schools go 10+ years making that much less than the Big 12, much less the SEC/B1G. I bet we see some movement sooner than later with that conference. Find soft landings for enough schools (B1G, SEC, BIG 12) & they can vote to void the GOR & get out without penalty. Even if they can't get out, the $120mm exit fee would be made up in a few years in the B1G or SEC & then you're making up the difference plus some by the time 2036 rolls around. 

Just please, please, please ... do NOT have us go down the path of SEC Cupcake Non-conference opponent to build up the won loss record.

Since aggy moved to the SEC, these are the cupcakes they played:

2012 - South Carolina State 

2013 - Sam Houston State   

2014 - Lamar 

2015 - Ball State

2016 - Prairie View A&M

2017 - Nichols State

2018 - Northwestern State

2019 - Texas State

2020 - The Vid

2021 - Kent State

2022 - Sam Houston State

2022 - Appalachian State (ooops)

A top university should be embarrassed to subject its alums and fans to that shitastic display.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

Just please, please, please ... do NOT have us go down the path of SEC Cupcake Non-conference opponent to build up the won loss record.

Since aggy moved to the SEC, these are the cupcakes they played:

2012 - South Carolina State 

2013 - Sam Houston State   

2014 - Lamar 

2015 - Ball State

2016 - Prairie View A&M

2017 - Nichols State

2018 - Northwestern State

2019 - Texas State

2020 - The Vid

2021 - Kent State

2022 - Sam Houston State

2022 - Appalachian State (ooops)

A top university should be embarrassed to subject its alums and fans to that shitastic display.

aggy is incapable of being embarrassed. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

I've posted this before, but this would maximize primary and secondary rivalries:

The SEC will have most of the celebrated rivalry games in all of college football:

UT vs OU

Gator vs UGA

Bama vs AU

LSU vs Arkie

Tenn vs Gator

Ole Miss vs Miss St.

LSU vs Bama

UT vs Aggy

and

Aggy vs every school on their schedule.

Whoop!

aggies-aggs.gif

AM-Yell.jpg

22 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

It's fun to see everyone's predictions/desires. 

Bama: Auburn, Tenn, LSU

Arky: UT, a&m, Mizzou

AU: Bama, UGA, MSU

UF: UGA, LSU, KU

UGA: UF, AU, SC

KU: Tenn, UF, MSU

LSU: Bama, a&m, UF

MSU: OM, KU, AU

OM: MSU, Vandy, OU

Mizzou: OU, Arky, SC

OU: UT, OM, Mizzou

SC: UGA, Vandy, Mizzou

Tenn: Bama, Vandy, KU

UT: OU, Arky, a&m

a&m: UT, LSU, Arky

Vandy: Tenn, SC, Ole Miss

Everyone gets their primary rival & has at least 1 big name. Some are tougher than others, but with the expanded playoffs I don't think anyone will mind too much & that's what helps drive TV $$$ anyways. UF/TENN is probably the biggest miss

14 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

8 game schedule is awful and anyone who votes for it is a pussy.

I don't disagree.  However, the SEC "greatness" was in fair part established and maintained by 1.) Saying how great/tough their teams are, 2.) Playing LESS conference games and more cream puffs to guarantee more wins by all teams (especially with the late in the season non-conference week).  

I don't think they will move away from this model and risk, you know, playing each other and creating more conference losses each year.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, hook me said:

It's fun to see everyone's predictions/desires. 

Bama: Auburn, Tenn, LSU

Arky: UT, a&m, Mizzou

AU: Bama, UGA, MSU

UF: UGA, LSU, KU

UGA: UF, AU, SC

KU: Tenn, UF, MSU

LSU: Bama, a&m, UF

MSU: OM, KU, AU

OM: MSU, Vandy, OU

Mizzou: OU, Arky, SC

OU: UT, OM, Mizzou

SC: UGA, Vandy, Mizzou

Tenn: Bama, Vandy, KU

UT: OU, Arky, a&m

a&m: UT, LSU, Arky

Vandy: Tenn, SC, Ole Miss

Everyone gets their primary rival & has at least 1 big name. Some are tougher than others, but with the expanded playoffs I don't think anyone will mind too much & that's what helps drive TV $$$ anyways. UF/TENN is probably the biggest miss

1 hour ago, Saint Austin said:

Do people not know that Tennessee & Florida are rivals?

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Well considering I said "UF/Tenn is probably the biggest miss" in my post, I think it's safe to say I know they're rivals. I consider Tenn/Bama & UF/UGA to be bigger rivals so they got priority, after that I consider LSU/UF, UK/Tenn to be a better setup than UF/Tenn, UK/LSU but it's whatever at that point.

21 minutes ago, ABSR said:

I don't disagree.  However, the SEC "greatness" was in fair part established and maintained by 1.) Saying how great/tough their teams are, 2.) Playing LESS conference games and more cream puffs to guarantee more wins by all teams (especially with the late in the season non-conference week).  

I don't think they will move away from this model and risk, you know, playing each other and creating more conference losses each year.

I said what I said.

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Tennessee has played Alabama, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky over 100 times. They have only played Florida a little over 50 times.

Likely that rivalry will not continue.

Florida will play Georgia and South Carolina and some other school (LSU or OU because the SEC wants more top rated games) annually and then trade playing Tennessee annually to playing Tenn and Auburn (their other lost rival) every other year.

3 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Tennessee has played Alabama, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky over 100 times. They have only played Florida a little over 50 times.

Likely that rivalry will not continue.

Florida will play Georgia and South Carolina and some other school (LSU or OU because the SEC wants more top rated games) annually and then trade playing Tennessee annually to playing Tenn and Auburn (their other lost rival) every other year.

UF-LSU.  Swamp Bowl has been played 69 times and it is tied 33-33-3

Plus we had the infamous shoe throw in 2020

• Hook 'Em 2

I see it being something like he following:

TX, OU, Arky, Mizzou

Aggy, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss St

Bama, Auburn, Tenn, Vandy

UGA, Florida, USC, Kentucky

There are too many rivalries to get everyone in the same division.  But I think the following are priorities:  TX/OU, Miss schools, Bama/Auburn, Florida/Georgia

Once you start with those "truths", you back into the rest of it through geography as well as historical relevance in football.

Swapping Aggy for Mizzou does make a "360 degrees of hate" division, but then creates a dogshit division of Mizzou, Miss schools, and LSU.  I don't see that happening.

9 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

I see it being something like he following:

TX, OU, Arky, Mizzou

Aggy, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss St

Bama, Auburn, Tenn, Vandy

UGA, Florida, USC, Kentucky

There are too many rivalries to get everyone in the same division.  But I think the following are priorities:  TX/OU, Miss schools, Bama/Auburn, Florida/Georgia

Once you start with those "truths", you back into the rest of it through geography as well as historical relevance in football.

Swapping Aggy for Mizzou does make a "360 degrees of hate" division, but then creates a dogshit division of Mizzou, Miss schools, and LSU.  I don't see that happening.

Anyone that says we won’t be in a pod with or playing aggy every year is delusional as they are, it’s not happening.  

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)