Hawkeye - Disney+ Marvel Show

mdmost

8 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

This. 

Can we also stop having rich billionaires inventing indestructible suits of armor that give you god powers?

Or gamma radiation make you super strong green man?

Or be a hammer wielding god from an entirely different race of humanoid people?

Or have a teenager who can cling to walls create multiple universes that are connected?

It’s a fucking Marvel show. If you can’t suspend belief, don’t watch it.  If the thing that hangs you up is Hailee Stanfield kicking ass, then that says something about you. 

The difference is that Hawkette doesn’t have a suit of armor or super DNA or is an actual god or have radioactive spider powers. She’s just a college girl who somehow beats up an entire gang of criminals. It’s dumb.

22 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

The difference is that Hawkette doesn’t have a suit of armor or super DNA or is an actual god or have radioactive spider powers. She’s just a college girl who somehow beats up an entire gang of criminals. It’s dumb.

It’s Marvel. It’s a metaverse where peak human condition from training can go toe to toe with Cap, at least for a little while. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Yeah, because a Hulk is fucking realistic.  

One of the turning points of the entire Marvel Universe movies was when they elected to make Steve Rogers something more than just a really fit dude in Winter Soldier. It was ridiculous from an academic perspective, but fucking awesome cinematically. 

Edited by Bateshorn

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

The suspension of disbelief is that Hulks and Thors and Iron Mans exist. Not that college girls can beat up grown men. 

Yeah, I can totally watch a movie where I’m being asked to ignore the violation of multiple laws of physics but the moment a girl smacks a dude in the mouth, it’s all “FUCKING SLOW DOWN, FEIGE!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Frankly, if you want to complain about Hailee Steinfeld it’s that she insists on the mediocre music career instead of focusing on Acting where her true gifts lie.  

The "I'm a musician because I have money and was already famous" play is always annoying. 

Wasn't she nommed for True Grit at like 15?

20 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Episode 3 was the best one so far. That was a great car chase scene and the way that it was shot mostly with the perspective from the inside of the car I thought was pretty cool. 

Also, I thought it was unrealistic that the bow and arrow guy never misses with his shots. Am I doing this correctly? 

No, it's fine for him to never miss. It's ridiculous that the petite girl never misses while being in a moving car at high speeds. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

In her flashback.  He strokes her face.  Either said something or chuckled or something... but it was definitely D'onofrio.

And the thing that struck me was the hand and the way his sleeve fell. Hard to describe it, but as soon as I saw the sleeve and heard the voice, it was him.

I'm really enjoying this - I never really thought much of Hawkeye's character - I didn't dislike him but I didn't miss him if he wasn't in a scene. 

But this is series has given me an entirely new outlook - might be my fav of the 4 D+ series so far.

....and it doesn't hurt that Hailee is easy on the eyes.

• Like 2

i am definitely having fun with the show and the action and the tone and all the rest.  my brain has been a bit nit-picky, as always.  none of this is really affecting my enjoyment level, but it's still registering as i watch.  i'm sure there's stuff that can be explained or shit i missed, but here are a few thoughts...

Spoiler

the show opens with kate at school, somewhere close, but not home.  at the time, i didn't know if it was boarding school, college, whatever.  she's shooting at a clock tower for reasons i'm not aware of, she hits it, she breaks it, her friends run away, she comes home for xmas.  she talks to her mom on the phone, her mom asks her if she's "in the city" which sounds like something you say to someone from nyc, but who doesn't live there currently.  she's in the city, she goes to see her mom at the penthouse from the beginning of the show.  we see she's still rich, it's told to us many times. 

clint is also in town with his family, but not his wife, which again, is not really explained.  they plan a pretty sweet leadup to xmas (presumably in new york) over dinner, where everyone chooses what they want to do that week.

shit goes down at the auction (which was public knowledge to the mom but seemed pretty secret when they were there), where she meets the old armand (the 3rd) who's with young armand (the 7th) and that's not even mathematically possible but whatever.  shit goes sideways at the auction, items are there, some are stolen, we don't know which ones and why.  then instead of going back "home", she goes to her "apartment" which is above a pizza place?  she's rich, but the apartment is not nice.  she steals a homeless dog and feeds it pizza, presumably from downstairs.  later she's seen talking about feeding the dog breakfast, and she's holding a frozen pizza.  lol ok. 

her shitty apartment burns down leaving the suit, which seemed too important to leave behind even in a fire.  she and hawkeye are friends now, and break into her aunt's(?) apartment and just go full-on home invasion and make it their own.  they live there now.  her mother knows her apartment burned down, but hasn't really mentioned like, "oh, you're staying here at home, right?"  nothing.  also she mentions having to go to work, which is for her mother's company, and she rolls in the next morning like she goes to work there every day.  but the day before, she was at school with her friends, who she never talks to or mentions again, and also it seemed like it was in another nearby city.

then, clint abandons the dream xmas leadup week and puts his kids in a car to travel back from new york, on their own, which seems a little dicey (from jfk?), especially considering he didn't seem to be in any danger and he didn't seem to have a good reason to stay there alone.  oh, the suit.  and the ronin.  and he has to make sure that the ronin is safe.  only he is the ronin, so he knows the ronin is fine, except for the suit.  which i guess confusingly starts this whole mess. 

so day after day, he seems to invent new and moderately believable reasons to stay in new york running around and sleeping at the same stranger's apartment with a hot 22 year old college chick, which makes his wife the most generously fictitious character in modern television history.  also didn't he just have a hotel suite?  why wouldn't he just stay there, even if he isn't doing the xmas week he promised his children?

sidenote - at one point, clint says "shouldn't you be in school?" which is a line i've heard muttered at least a couple dozen times in tv/movies, and it should never be said to a 22 year old. 

why would they have him say this?  my theory is that they've tried really hard early on to let everyone know that they're just buddies, there is nothing sexual going on between them and anything like that wouldn't be possible, because she's young enough to say that to.  but just for good measure, we're gonna have clint be 45 going on 90, with his hearing aid and needing to ice down every part of his body.  we get it, he's just an archer.  he doesn't have super genes from a spider or serum.  but showing him buying neosporin and teaching kate how to dress wounds seems a little on-the-nose for me.  i'm watching marvel for a reason.    

which i guess is all to say that i don't care about the realism in any of the action, the fighting, the storyline even, but the minor plot stuff is such a mess and was really avoidable in so many ways.  it's like i'm watching the production version of an old writing drill where you pass around the page and everybody writes their continuation but the whole story always winds up inconsistent and sloppy, which is the entire point of the exercise.  it would've taken 3 throwaway lines to avoid all of it, but alas.

sorry, that was long, and i forgot some other shit i'm sure, but whatever.  i'm still into it.  no idea why clint seems so determined to ditch his family right before xmas, but i get it, families are the worst. 

i decided to spoiler instead of longcatting the thread.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i am definitely having fun with the show and the action and the tone and all the rest.  my brain has been a bit nit-picky, as always.  none of this is really affecting my enjoyment level, but it's still registering as i watch.  i'm sure there's stuff that can be explained or shit i missed, but here are a few thoughts...

Reveal hidden contents

the show opens with kate at school, somewhere close, but not home.  at the time, i didn't know if it was boarding school, college, whatever.  she's shooting at a clock tower for reasons i'm not aware of, she hits it, she breaks it, her friends run away, she comes home for xmas.  she talks to her mom on the phone, her mom asks her if she's "in the city" which sounds like something you say to someone from nyc, but who doesn't live there currently.  she's in the city, she goes to see her mom at the penthouse from the beginning of the show.  we see she's still rich, it's told to us many times. 

clint is also in town with his family, but not his wife, which again, is not really explained.  they plan a pretty sweet leadup to xmas (presumably in new york) over dinner, where everyone chooses what they want to do that week.

shit goes down at the auction (which was public knowledge to the mom but seemed pretty secret when they were there), where she meets the old armand (the 3rd) who's with young armand (the 7th) and that's not even mathematically possible but whatever.  shit goes sideways at the auction, items are there, some are stolen, we don't know which ones and why.  then instead of going back "home", she goes to her "apartment" which is above a pizza place?  she's rich, but the apartment is not nice.  she steals a homeless dog and feeds it pizza, presumably from downstairs.  later she's seen talking about feeding the dog breakfast, and she's holding a frozen pizza.  lol ok. 

her shitty apartment burns down leaving the suit, which seemed too important to leave behind even in a fire.  she and hawkeye are friends now, and break into her aunt's(?) apartment and just go full-on home invasion and make it their own.  they live there now.  her mother knows her apartment burned down, but hasn't really mentioned like, "oh, you're staying here at home, right?"  nothing.  also she mentions having to go to work, which is for her mother's company, and she rolls in the next morning like she goes to work there every day.  but the day before, she was at school with her friends, who she never talks to or mentions again, and also it seemed like it was in another nearby city.

then, clint abandons the dream xmas leadup week and puts his kids in a car to travel back from new york, on their own, which seems a little dicey (from jfk?), especially considering he didn't seem to be in any danger and he didn't seem to have a good reason to stay there alone.  oh, the suit.  and the ronin.  and he has to make sure that the ronin is safe.  only he is the ronin, so he knows the ronin is fine, except for the suit.  which i guess confusingly starts this whole mess. 

so day after day, he seems to invent new and moderately believable reasons to stay in new york running around and sleeping at the same stranger's apartment with a hot 22 year old college chick, which makes his wife the most generously fictitious character in modern television history.  also didn't he just have a hotel suite?  why wouldn't he just stay there, even if he isn't doing the xmas week he promised his children?

sidenote - at one point, clint says "shouldn't you be in school?" which is a line i've heard muttered at least a couple dozen times in tv/movies, and it should never be said to a 22 year old. 

why would they have him say this?  my theory is that they've tried really hard early on to let everyone know that they're just buddies, there is nothing sexual going on between them and anything like that wouldn't be possible, because she's young enough to say that to.  but just for good measure, we're gonna have clint be 45 going on 90, with his hearing aid and needing to ice down every part of his body.  we get it, he's just an archer.  he doesn't have super genes from a spider or serum.  but showing him buying neosporin and teaching kate how to dress wounds seems a little on-the-nose for me.  i'm watching marvel for a reason.    

which i guess is all to say that i don't care about the realism in any of the action, the fighting, the storyline even, but the minor plot stuff is such a mess and was really avoidable in so many ways.  it's like i'm watching the production version of an old writing drill where you pass around the page and everybody writes their continuation but the whole story always winds up inconsistent and sloppy, which is the entire point of the exercise.  it would've taken 3 throwaway lines to avoid all of it, but alas.

sorry, that was long, and i forgot some other shit i'm sure, but whatever.  i'm still into it.  no idea why clint seems so determined to ditch his family right before xmas, but i get it, families are the worst. 

No offense but I'd hate to be you watching a show if this stuff bothers you.

• Haha 1

Spoiler

I don’t understand your question. Please rephrase it.

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

Hide contents

Bro, do you even Shawarma?

Honestly, they should have Hawkeye plow this chick. It’d make his character interesting going forward. He could carve a symbol for each conquest in an arrow he doesn’t shoot. You’d get a quick out of focus view of the rest of them. The internet would go crazy figuring out who was on his list. Black Widow? Absolutely. Captain Marvel? Sure. Rocket? Well, he is from Missouri.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3