2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

WRs staying healthy/out of trouble and the TEs staying healthy/being good blockers are a bigger concern for me than OL depth. If you buy Flood and Sark, you should probably buy into the first team OL, and I think there’s solid depth there between Karic, Hookfin, Imade, Connor, Johnson, etc; those guys would be starters for past OLs

3 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

So you guys are telling me we could be back to saving a talented freshman for after OU?!?!

In all seriousness, I think we need Casey to start the first couple of weeks without question. Leash should be shortened as we move through the season.

There’s the chance that Card is actually better than Casey week one. If that’s the case, then obviously we need him to start 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

So you guys are telling me we could be back to saving a talented freshman for after OU?!?!

In all seriousness, I think we need Casey to start the first couple of weeks without question. Leash should be shortened as we move through the season.

There is this narrative that Thompson is somehow the “safer” player at the position and he needs to start early in the season to give us the best chance to win. Outside of just time in the program, there isn’t anything to suggest this is the case. In the limited game action we have seen, he’s put the ball in dangerous spots enough to give me pause on this narrative. Let the QBs battle it out and pick the one that performs better in aggregate across the practices and scrimmages regardless of experience or recruiting ranking. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

WRs staying healthy/out of trouble and the TEs staying healthy/being good blockers are a bigger concern for me than OL depth. If you buy Flood and Sark, you should probably buy into the first team OL, and I think there’s solid depth there between Karic, Hookfin, Imade, Connor, Johnson, etc; those guys would be starters for past OLs

WR's and TE's

giphy.gif 

Also concerned about teams attacking our LB's

16 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

There is this narrative that Thompson is somehow the “safer” player at the position and he needs to start early in the season to give us the best chance to win. Outside of just time in the program, there isn’t anything to suggest this is the case. In the limited game action we have seen, he’s put the ball in dangerous spots enough to give me pause on this narrative. Let the QBs battle it out and pick the one that performs better in aggregate across the practices and scrimmages regardless of experience or recruiting ranking. 

I don’t understand this narrative either. Casey has shown to be a bit of a gunslinger. He seems to be infatuated with the low percentage throws. That 50 yard bomb he threw to Jaden Alexis on a 4th & 3 in the spring game was odd, but they nearly connected. 

I’ll buy Flood/Sark when I see it. I have seen previous oline wizards fail before here.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

That’s pretty much the point everyone is making. If they are neck and neck, beginning the season with the guy who’s seen more college football is common sense. If Card is the clear cut winner, play him.  Casey’s limited experience and time on campus is basically worth a tie breaker.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

That’s pretty much the point everyone is making. If they are neck and neck, beginning the season with the guy who’s seen more college football is common sense. If Card is the clear cut winner, play him.  Casey’s limited experience and time on campus is basically worth a tie breaker.

While I would agree with this on its face, the transfer portal makes it a bit different. If they are that close then upside and future potential now have a place at the table since both are capable of starting somewhere else and the odd man out will most likely transfer

7 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

At basically every other position if a 4th year Jr was “tied” and on the verge of being passed in a position battle going into the season with a redshirt Fr we’d be wanting the redshirt freshman to start, but for some reason at QB it’s different.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

While I would agree with this on its face, the transfer portal makes it a bit different. If they are that close then upside and future potential now have a place at the table since both are capable of starting somewhere else and the odd man out will most likely transfer

Also, fortune favors the bold. Win the games now with the best man and worry about Charles Wright having to start the second half against Baylor when we get there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This Qb starter/xfer debate has taken on a life of its own, and while being peak offseason, it’s annoying as fuck. We have a qb in Thompson who has performed in a game setting, we have another qb who has flashed at times, both with limited opportunity. The live scrimmages and early games will sort it out. I do not understand the handwringing about a xfer, especially when we are potentially one missed oline assignment from the backup having the full job opportunity. Why xfer when potentially the best opportunity to play remains here instead of adjusting to a whole new situation? 

• Hook 'Em 1

And Hookfin. Depth across the OL is actually pretty good for the first time in a decade or so.

I know it’s been a long time since 2005, but I’d challenge anyone here to name the 2nd Oline unit from the national championship team.

Depth means you can sustain production after 1 or 2 injuries. No team save maybe Bama or tOSU can handle more than that. Where they have depth over us is next year and the year after that when they just replace and reload when upperclassman leave.

We’re fine depth-wise this year although C is probably the injury we’d least like to incur.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

I know it’s been a long time since 2005, but I’d challenge anyone here to name the 2nd Oline unit from the national championship team.

Depth means you can sustain production after 1 or 2 injuries. No team save maybe Bama or tOSU can handle more than that. Where they have depth over us is next year and the year after that when they just replace and reload when upperclassman leave.

We’re fine depth-wise this year although C is probably the injury we’d least like to incur.

That majors and junior are working at C and kerstetter only at RT makes you think that if major gets the job and gets hurt that they would move and replace junior rather than kerstetter. But would kerstetter’s replacement at tackle (assuming karic) be better than junior’s at guard?  Haven’t heard much about guard depth pushing okafor or junior for a spot. 

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Damn.  Koendre. 3600 followers. Bijan 87K. 

Even more disappointing considering one of the best nicknames in college football. 

Would be incredible if PK could get Vita Vea type production out of Keondre. This team needs some draft success. 

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

One half of football doesn’t make a difference in a battle like this IMO. Especially with an entirely new coaching staff and system. So IMO Casey’s Alamo bowl, while impressive, doesn’t really and shouldn’t have any effect on this battle. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Regarding Hookfin - hasn’t he been injured the last two years?  And he’s banged up in training camp and unable to practice so far this season. Don’t think we should be counting on him until his luck turns around and he can stay healthy. 

Dudes been injuried since his name was first announced in 24/7 as a recruit 

32 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That majors and junior are working at C and kerstetter only at RT makes you think that if major gets the job and gets hurt that they would move and replace junior rather than kerstetter. But would kerstetter’s replacement at tackle (assuming karic) be better than junior’s at guard?  Haven’t heard much about guard depth pushing okafor or junior for a spot. 

If Majors gets hurt, they’ll slide angilau over and put someone else in at guard. 

I’d assume Junior to Center if Majors wins and gets hurt. Johnson has been downplayed but he did fine in the bowl game. Reports are Conner is off to a good start. I made. If none of that works, then maybe a tackle option moving inside would be the alternative.

Based on Kerstetters production, he should stay at Tackle. But yeah he could always try C.

1 hour ago, Revolution512 said:

Assuming that both players are dead even and have exactly the same effectiveness I would go with the player with highest ceiling, not the most experience. That would actually be the safer decision. 

29 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

One half of football doesn’t make a difference in a battle like this IMO. Especially with an entirely new coaching staff and system. So IMO Casey’s Alamo bowl, while impressive, doesn’t really and shouldn’t have any effect on this battle. 

There’s more than that to me but like I said, it shouldn’t count for a great deal. He’s been on campus, in meetings, taken starters reps when Sam was hurt/questionable, been in stadiums, seen more film, heard more sideline conversations, etc

36 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Even more disappointing considering one of the best nicknames in college football. 

Would be incredible if PK could get Vita Vea type production out of Keondre. This team needs some draft success. 

I have 9 followers, so...

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

There’s more than that to me but like I said, it shouldn’t count for a great deal. He’s been on campus, in meetings, taken starters reps when Sam was hurt/questionable, been in stadiums, seen more film, heard more sideline conversations, etc

All of that but yet he still hasn’t pulled away, allegedly.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

All of that but yet he still hasn’t pulled away, allegedly.

Oh for sure, it’s all speculation. If it’s really a tie, I understand and would have a hard time faulting them for starting the season with Casey. The first game isn’t exactly Texas School for the Blind. But Sark is saying All Gas so maybe throw the traditional wisdom out and roll with the youngster. 

2 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Oh for sure, it’s all speculation. If it’s really a tie, I understand and would have a hard time faulting them for starting the season with Casey. The first game isn’t exactly Texas School for the Blind. But Sark is saying All Gas so maybe throw the traditional wisdom out and roll with the youngster. 

Agreed. Honestly I don’t give a shit who they choose as long as we win games and don’t look like shit doing it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Damn.  Koendre. 3600 followers. Bijan 87K. 

Well, you can’t even spell his name correctly.

Is Coburn as active in social media? Regardless, my question revolves around one of my main disappointments in the social media approach taken by Texas. The social media spotlight is not for everyone and success on the field won’t necessarily change that. Some people just don’t have the personality to fully utilize its potential.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Latest reports have Tope at guard when Angilau is center.   

Edited by Hmmm

I feel better about our biggest questions being at WR/OL/QB (aka our passing attack) than I have in a long time because it seems Sark and Flood are able to adjust their schemes. If it was Herman, we’d be throwing the same stationary screen pass that gets absolutely clobbered for a TFL. 

My guess is that they’ll reshuffle the lineup to account for deficiencies and matchups all year. Just hope he finds a way to incorporate more 20 and 21 personnel this year given our running back room. Wasn’t particularly common for him at Alabama or the Falcons.

A lot of comments about OL, many positive. I get it. On paper we are better than we’ve been in the past.

However, it was my understanding Karic was backing up LT, and behind Kerstetter was Hookfin until he got injured. Now it’s walk-ons. We are relying on young Karic for depth, Hookfin whose often injured and still unproven, and Kerstetter still coming off a bad injury, although he should be better by now. I just don’t see that as a great OL, yet.  The OL struggled last year too. It’s relative however. I picked them at 10-2, and see OL as the barrier to 11-1 or 12-0. 

Just now, Dbeasy said:

A lot of comments about OL, many positive. I get it. On paper we are better than we’ve been in the past.

However, it was my understanding Karic was backing up LT, and behind Kerstetter was Hookfin until he got injured. Now it’s walk-ons. We are relying on young Karic for depth, Hookfin whose often injured and still unproven, and Kerstetter still coming off a bad injury, although he should be better by now. I just don’t see that as a great OL, yet.  The OL struggled last year too. It’s relative however. I picked them at 10-2, and see OL as the barrier to 11-1 or 12-0. 

You’ve followed football enough to know that’s not how it works.  Karic is the backup swing tackle. He’ll plug in at either Tackle spot if one of the starters goes down. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Offensive line performance last year is moot point to this year.