TrashMaster G

6 minutes ago, ALexusTexus7 said:

I wish I had a picture of the aggys I saw at the Rose Bowl with the “for one night only” shirts and the steer head with bandages around the horns.

They had that shirt on at Reliant during the Colorado game too.  They have always latched on to other people's greatness see all the SEC cheerleading horseshit.

• Like 1

Man, talk about once in a lifetime. That was my freshman year in college on the 40, went to damn near every game that year and will always regret not going to the game. That being said, I was home for Christmas break and got to watch/experience with my Dad and family which is something I will always cherish.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Still half watching on LHN. We know the final of the CU B12 title game was 70-3. 

Overlooked is that the game was 70-3 with 7:36 remaining in the 3rd quarter. Against a CU team that went 5-3 in conference and beat aggy, Okie lite and Mizzou by a combined 84 points. 

57 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Still half watching on LHN. We know the final of the CU B12 title game was 70-3. 

Overlooked is that the game was 70-3 with 7:36 remaining in the 3rd quarter. Against a CU team that went 5-3 in conference and beat aggy, Okie lite and Mizzou by a combined 84 points. 

Yeah I remember the game being well over by HT (42-3) and then just blowing the doors completely off coming out in the 3rd quarter but forgot how CU turned in to a middle school team.

UT opening TD drive

CU gets 2 yards. We block the punt and get 7 more.

they fumble on the 2nd play on the ensuing drive. Jamaal walks in from 26 on the next play.

First play after the kickoff, Klatt fumbles 

6 plays later Horns back in the end zone and 70-3 before halfway through the 3rd.

3 hours ago, mdleast said:

As many times as I’ve watched that game/highlights of the game/just that 4th and 5 play, it always amazes me that I feel only slightly less anxious watching it each time than I was watching it that night live. Whew!

I get a bit nervous every time I hear the Craig Way call on that play “all the dreams, all the hopes for the national championship come down to this one play”

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, hpslugga said:

That whole season inspired me to write a very long essay about it. I read it whenever life is looking like shit, which translated to 4 times since the pandemic set in. Doubt any of you fuckers would want to read the description of 4th and 5, though.

Just post it or paste it already.  

The 05 documentary brought back every bit of the emotion and feels that I get each time I think back or remember anything about that season.  Captured the whole mood and psyche perfectly— what an amazing trip down memory lane, so glad I got to live it as it happened.  I vividly remember all of those games, as well as the personal feelings and mindset of my life at each point that year.  It was an unbelievable special time for any Longhorn fan.  And on the night of the Rose Bowl, the impact went further than just Longhorns; I feel like it touched every college football fan in the country.  Just a magical year that we’ll never see anything like again.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Xcalibur said:

Just post it or paste it already.  

All I needed.

"It was now 4th and 5 at the USC 8 with the clock stopped at 26 seconds remaining.

This was the ball game. This was the play that I had waited for 13 years to see ever since I started going to Texas Longhorn football games with my dad. This was the moment he had waited to see since Texas lost to Notre Dame in the 1971 Cotton Bowl; a game which terminated Texas’ 30-game winning streak. This was the game and the moment Dad had been dying to take me to ever since I was born, which oddly enough was only a little over a month after Texas’ last bid for a national championship when they fell 10-9 at the hands of the Georgia Bulldogs in the Cotton Bowl. The USC crowd was as loud as it ever was the entire game. The Texas fans around me were mostly dead silent, most of them holding a Hook 'Em Horns in the air as was common when a pivotal play at the end of a game was about to take place.

The play called was Gun Left Jack Menu 2. After they broke the huddle, Quan Cosby lined up to the far left, Brian Carter lined up in the slot to the left, David Thomas lined up as the tight end on the left, Limas Sweed lined up as the split end to the right, and Selvin Young lined up as the running back on Vince’s right. USC lined up in another awkward looking quarters shell with 4 down linemen, 2 linebackers, and 5 defensive backs. USC again inverted to a single high safety look.

As the ball was snapped, the Trojans blitzed both linebackers. David Thomas ran a short out route and was covered by the strong safety. Carter and Cosby ran verticals into the end zone, as did Limas Sweed. After Frostee Rucker was given a tremendous shove at the line of scrimmage by right tackle Justin Blalock, he recognized that Selvin Young was running a circle route over the middle. Instead of continuing to rush Vince Young, who at that point had amassed 459 yards total offense (192 rushing, 267 passing), he stayed true to his assignment to cover Selvin. USC defensive end Lawrence Jackson actually got a decent rush off the edge, but left tackle Jonathan Scott had chipped him just enough to where he couldn’t get to Vince. The rest of the USC pass rush was a non-entity. Vince looked off his first read, which looked to be Limas Sweed, and took off to his right. Recognizing what was happening, Rucker abandoned his assignment and reversed his direction as fast as he possibly could. Not only did Vince outrace Rucker to make the first down, but he had an angle at the corner of the end zone and Kevin Thomas was too late! Vince crossed the goal line with a mere 19 seconds left to play in the game!!! TOUCHDOWN TEXAS!!!"

• Hook 'Em 5

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

There were a few more stories in that one that I didn't know. Don't want to spoil any but that was the best episode easily. 

Definitely the best. Enjoyed the whole series, but part 3 was way better than the other 2.  I have it DVR'd and look forward to watching it many, many times.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Deej said:

Everyone just kind of glosses over how badly Pete Carroll choked at the end of that game. Leaves Bush on the sidelines for 4th and 2. Wastes his timeout before our 2-point conversion. 

A big shout out to Pete Carroll. Thanks, Pete.

That’s the most overblown aspect of the game and it’s really just something ESPN had to talk about.

Putting Bush in the game wouldn’t have done anything for them. He was held to a double digit rushing total and they really didn’t give give him a whole lot of touches in the second half precisely because White was killing Texas’ defense, specifically on the exact play they ran.

”oh but he would have been a decoy.” No one in that stadium would have believed he was actually going to get the ball, especially Gene Chizik. With Bush in the game, Chizik makes the same defensive call and no player would have been given a special instruction. USC never had a package with both of them in the game (it was always one or the other), never had any plays with that and certainly never tried it in that game specifically.

Pete Carroll absolutely made the right call, Texas’ defense just rose to the occasion.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Everyone just kind of glosses over how badly Pete Carroll choked at the end of that game. Leaves Bush on the sidelines for 4th and 2. Wastes his timeout before our 2-point conversion. 

A big shout out to Pete Carroll. Thanks, Pete.

Yes.  Also, 3 chances to win the super bowl with 1/2 yard to go and Beast Mode in your backfield and he decides to throw an INT.

For those of us who couldn't watch, what was the Jerry Springer story? That was a bizarre insert into this thread without hearing any background. Made me laugh and reminded me of the "Ponzi Scheme Involving Gold" thread when suddenly Louie Anderson showed up in the timeline. 

Edited by closetojumping

Just now, closetojumping said:

For those of us who couldn't watch, what was the Jerry Springer story? That was a bizarre insert into this thread without hearing any background. Made me laugh and reminded me of the "Ponzi Scheme Involving Gold" thread when suddenly Louie Anderson showed up in the timeline. 

That literally was the subject of the Mack’s pregame speech after watching it the night before. Evidently he just told the team “whatever you do in life, don’t go on the Springer show.”

It is always great reliving the scenes in shows like this. I was fortunate enough to be there with my dad, so everything they show from the game brings back the mental clips of our view of the action. Our seats were opposite the endzone of 4th and 5, kind of lower in the bowl. When VY breaks right for the corner, we couldn't see yard markers so there was screaming for him to simply get the first down and get out of bounds. Wasn't until the ref threw his arms up that we understood completely what had happened. 

The other play that really stands out from our vantage point was Griffin's INT. Steve Smith looked wide open on his route. Herby wasn't kidding in the doc when he said Griffin came out of no where. It happened so quickly it took a minute to comprehend what we saw because Griffin was not visible to us from our low row seats. 

CSB alert - I was a sophomore that season. I believed every bit of VY saying we'd "...be back..." but I knew I had zero chance at student tickets being a lowly sophomore. I went to the box office the summer of 2005 and applied to work the ticket window. Did that with the long game approach of meeting and knowing the main ticket guys. Logged a lot of shifts to build some street cred with them. Fast-forward to December 2005, I stop by my bosses office and ask if there are two tickets I could buy, so I could take my dad. They weren't the best seats in the house but didn't matter one bit. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

On 9/1/2021 at 8:23 AM, closetojumping said:

Fucking Vince, man. I thank God every day for the sun rising, good parents, good food and Vince Young. Watched him at Madison all the way through his last game in the NFL. I could die 100 years from now and still believe that he is hands down the greatest college football player I was ever fortunate enough to watch. That dude and that team washed away a lot of CFB pain for so many long-suffering fans. 

Can you imagine if VY would have played for more of a stat whore like Urban Meyer?  He legitimately could have put up an extra twenty rushing touchdowns that year (at the expense of Jamaal, Selvin and Taylor).  I watched all the short yardage TDs Tebow would get and just wonder.  There were games where we barely ran Vince in 2005 to limit hits.  He was even better than his awesome stats were that year.  They clearly intended to limit his hits.

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Can you imagine if VY would have played for more of a stat whore like Urban Meyer?  He legitimately could have put up an extra twenty rushing touchdowns that year (at the expense of Jamaal, Selvin and Taylor).  I watched all the short yardage TDs Tebow would get and just wonder.  There were games where we barely ran Vince in 2005 to limit hits.  He was even better than his awesome stats were that year.  They clearly intended to limit his hits.

He averaged 9.3 yards per pass and 6.8 yards per rush on the season. 16 years later those numbers still hold up against the best P5 dual threat seasons we've seen from guys like Lamar and Cam. Lamar was a similar runner but not the passer Vince was. Cam was a slightly better passer but didn't average near as much on the ground. And offensive numbers have only gotten more inflated as time goes on. 

Kyler actually bested both those numbers in his 2018 season but ran for fewer yards despite playing an additional game and obviously took 2 losses against the better defenses he played that year. He also didn't make a trip to Columbus in September. 

Vince could have gone for 4,000 and 1,500 easily that season. It may not have worked to the team's benefit in the long run but his dual threat efficiency was so beyond anything college football had ever seen that it will still stack up favorably for years to come. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, plvhorn said:

It is always great reliving the scenes in shows like this. I was fortunate enough to be there with my dad, so everything they show from the game brings back the mental clips of our view of the action. Our seats were opposite the endzone of 4th and 5, kind of lower in the bowl. When VY breaks right for the corner, we couldn't see yard markers so there was screaming for him to simply get the first down and get out of bounds. Wasn't until the ref threw his arms up that we understood completely what had happened. 

The other play that really stands out from our vantage point was Griffin's INT. Steve Smith looked wide open on his route. Herby wasn't kidding in the doc when he said Griffin came out of no where. It happened so quickly it took a minute to comprehend what we saw because Griffin was not visible to us from our low row seats. 

CSB alert - I was a sophomore that season. I believed every bit of VY saying we'd "...be back..." but I knew I had zero chance at student tickets being a lowly sophomore. I went to the box office the summer of 2005 and applied to work the ticket window. Did that with the long game approach of meeting and knowing the main ticket guys. Logged a lot of shifts to build some street cred with them. Fast-forward to December 2005, I stop by my bosses office and ask if there are two tickets I could buy, so I could take my dad. They weren't the best seats in the house but didn't matter one bit. 

Solid CSB.  Pos rep.

39 minutes ago, plvhorn said:

I like it. I was in the same end zone seating as you, behind the goal posts among a crowd of USC fans who were quiet in the first half. They started really talking shit when it hit like the 6:40-ish mark where they were up by 12 and Texas was about to get the ball. My buddy and I just kept telling them "you blowhards have never watched Vince be Vince." We were waving our keys in the air as they left in throngs after 4th and 5. 

Similar to you, I got lucky getting to go to the game. I was the lead ops guy for a digital start-up that was working with a bunch of home services businesses. One group was a global insurance giant and the guys I dealt with were responsible for renter's insurance. We were crushing their targets through June of 05, so they come to town and take me and some coworkers to Pappa's for dinner.

They ask me, "if you stayed on this pace through September, we could take you to a fully covered weekend to Vegas with us and some of your buddies, or bone fishing in The Bahamas, whatever you want." So I told them I'd prefer two tickets to the Rose Bowl for January 4th. They asked me why and I told them "Texas is loaded this year and they're going to play for it all on that day." They kind of shrugged looking at each other and said "done". They went with us, I brought my best friend and coworker (the Greg Davis 3rd Down & 5 artist), I scheduled some meetings with other clients around the day of the game. Texas made it, we went on the whole trip for free, and it was easily the best sporting event I'll ever attend. 

USC fans suck as bad as any I have ever encountered. Admittedly, I've never been to a game in Columbus, OH, so caveat with that I guess.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 8/31/2021 at 8:58 PM, ztejas said:

Also - where does that Colorado game rank in biggest college football ass whippings ever? 

I realize the margin of victory is 10 points less, but I vote the UT-CU game a bigger ass whooping since in the respective seasons:

a) CU was 7-4 but aggy was 4-8

b) CU was a division winner while aggy was 5th in the division

c) OU's victory was at home but UT's was at a neutral-ish site

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They started really talking shit when it hit like the 6:40-ish mark where they were up by 12

My old college roommate left the stadium at that time to beat traffic.   He got so much shit from everyone after the game, I'm not sure that he even watches football anymore.   It broke him.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

My old college roommate left the stadium at that time to beat traffic.   He got so much shit from everyone after the game, I'm not sure that he even watches football anymore.   It broke him.

Leaving that game early is the dumbest thing I ever heard.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Leaving that game early is the dumbest thing I ever heard.

No joke.  He must not have been following the team very closely that year and I question whether he was even really a Longhorn fan.  

When USC took a 12 point lead with 6 minutes left, I calmly turned to my buddies and said, “I’d like to welcome y’all to the Vince Young show.”  And we proceeded to watch the climactic closing act of the greatest college football game ever played.  You know the rest.

• Hook 'Em 1