South Carolina Attorney shot in head months after wife and son shot dead

Nicole44

9 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

At this point in my life, I just don’t give a shit anymore. Go ahead. Insult me. Make false accusations. I started this thread bc I follow true crime cases and thought it was interesting. CR people can get fucked as far as I am concerned. 

I too give zero fucks, and I too think CR people are the lowest lifeform on the planet, so I applaud you.  And thanks for the posting this.  I'd never heard about any of this, but I'm a sucker for true crime mysteries.

• Hook 'Em 1

This kind of thing is annoying.

Paul Murdaugh – Alex’s younger son – allegedly got drunk and slammed his father’s 17-foot, center console Sea Hunt fishing boat into a piling near the Archer’s Creek Bridge outside of Parris Island, S.C. shortly after 2:00 a.m. EDT on February 23, 2019.

Pretty sure South Carolina is not on Eastern Daylight Time in February.

• Haha 1

Even if he wasn't drunk (he was), there is little chance he would see a piling if he was driving fast at 2 in the morning. The lighting on a boat like that is shit, the bow was most likely up, and people were probably sitting in the front making it difficult to see in any conditions.

25 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Even if he wasn't drunk (he was), there is little chance he would see a piling if he was driving fast at 2 in the morning. The lighting on a boat like that is shit, the bow was most likely up, and people were probably sitting in the front making it difficult to see in any conditions.

Per Mandy Matney, the boat lights weren't working at the time. 

I think Alex was the shooter on Maggie and/or Paul, but I'm not sure. Maggie was killed with a shotgun while Paul was killed by a semi-automatic rifle. The different murder weapons thing is really throwing people for a loop. It's certainly plausible that Alex killed Maggie. Paul shows up at the cabin and Alex killed him as well with a different weapon. 
Buster, the eldest son, was allegedly out of town at the time of the murders. Buster has wisely be laying very low. 

You can always tell a Milford man.

0991d2fb9c77ed5ee8a6a82e5702ebec.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Shaddie said:

WTF. I have read the last few post and I am stunned. 

A “successful” attorney has a 17’ Sea Hunt? 
justhookit is sad. 

They probably have a fleet of boats.  The 17’ was probably the only one junior was allowed to operate while hammered.  The throw away boat if you will.

• Hook 'Em 1

That Mandy podcaster is getting better with her voice and the thing goes along.  She does a great job of sorting thru this shit hole of this family.  The first episode was unlistenable and she threw a fit about it early on, but she has lessened on the vocal fry/Kardashian voice.   The most annoying thing she does now is "my fiancé" this and "my fiancé" that.  . She appears to actually do research and reporting rather than reading websites then just talking about it.  

The most maddening part of the whole thing is how the local cops seem to blatantly leave info out of police reports, seemingly to protect this so-called family.  I kind of seems like the wife may have left the dad.  Mandy was talking about some discrepancies in the family's actual home address.   I'm kind of guessing dad was pissed at mom for leaving (maybe because she found out he was a fucking thief) and at the spoiled brat for being a spoiled brat and just took them both out.  

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

That Mandy podcaster is getting better with her voice and the thing goes along.  She does a great job of sorting thru this shit hole of this family.  The first episode was unlistenable and she threw a fit about it early on, but she has lessened on the vocal fry/Kardashian voice.   The most annoying thing she does now is "my fiancé" this and "my fiancé" that.  . She appears to actually do research and reporting rather than reading websites then just talking about it.  

The most maddening part of the whole thing is how the local cops seem to blatantly leave info out of police reports, seemingly to protect this so-called family.  I kind of seems like the wife may have left the dad.  Mandy was talking about some discrepancies in the family's actual home address.   I'm kind of guessing dad was pissed at mom for leaving (maybe because she found out he was a fucking thief) and at the spoiled brat for being a spoiled brat and just took them both out.  

Another pod reported that Alex and Maggie were separated. By all accounts, Maggie appeared to be a genuinely good person and kind to everyone. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

At this point in my life, I just don’t give a shit anymore. Go ahead. Insult me. Make false accusations. I started this thread bc I follow true crime cases and thought it was interesting. CR people can get fucked as far as I am concerned. 

Vine Ok GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, hullabelew said:

That Mandy podcaster is getting better with her voice and the thing goes along.  She does a great job of sorting thru this shit hole of this family.  The first episode was unlistenable and she threw a fit about it early on, but she has lessened on the vocal fry/Kardashian voice.   

One of my favorite YouTubers is always on the verge of talking about hunting that fucking Bugs Bunny, but I still listen, and in the first 30 seconds, he puts in an Elmer Fudd cartoon pointing towards the Closed Captions.

• Haha 1

On 9/7/2021 at 11:37 AM, NorthLoop said:

The podcast said that state authorities are re-opening that case. Not sure if that's going anywhere though. 

Wait. Wat? I guess I haven't been following all this close enough. There was a gunshot wound to the head, other injuries were consistent with a beating (as opposed to being hit by a car), there was no vehicle debris or a damaged vehicle, and they never pursued the case?!? That's fucking insane if all those statements are actually true.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.crimeonline.com/2021/09/07/breaking-maggie-murdaugh-ordered-forensic-accounting-of-family-finances-before-her-murder/

Maggie Murdaugh, the murdered wife of South Carolina legal scion Alex Murdaugh, had ordered a forensic accounting of her own, in addition to the accounting done by Murdaugh’s law firm that resulted in his sudden resignation the day before he was supposedly shot in the head on a rural road.

Reporter Matt Harris, morning show host on WLNK and host of the podcast “The Murdaugh Family Murders: Impact of Influence,” made the stunning announcement on “Crime Stories with Nancy Grace.”

“That is the word I got from a pretty reliable source,” Harris said. “Maggie hired a forensic accountant.”

The full “Crime Stories with Nancy Grace” program is available now on all podcasting apps, and will air on both Fox Nation and Sirius XM Triumph this evening.

So she orders a forensic audit of their finances.

She is killed.

Son is killed.

Suspicious GIF by SVU

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Wait. Wat? I guess I haven't been following all this close enough. There was a gunshot wound to the head, other injuries were consistent with a beating (as opposed to being hit by a car), there was no vehicle debris or a damaged vehicle, and they never pursued the case?!? That's fucking insane if all those statements are actually true.

image.png.f7da434f8a984239aa608b8946876808.png

Edited by Samson's Wig

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Responding DPS officers, EMS, accident investigator, county sheriff and county coroner at the scene all thought it was a gunshot and reported no vehicle debris around or on the body. Later after the autopsy the county sheriff and county coroner both changed tune and said hit and run. The doc that performed the autopsy basically told the accident investigator to pound sand.

A couple of tips pointed to Buster and friends but there was no concrete link.

Also interesting - an anonymous tip from a caller that implicated a random local for the hit and run was followed-up on by the accident investigator. The caller claimed that he was instructed to call in the tip by Randy Murdaugh - uncle of the two shithead sons and brother of Alex Murdaugh. Nothing fishy with that at all...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9722907/Cops-investigating-Stephen-Smiths-death-questioned-ties-Buster-Murdaugh-docs-reveal.html

Later the officer notes, 'MAIT also inspected the body…for any evidence and injuries. There were no visible injuries to the deceased, other than his head and a small amount of road rash on both arms. He had no broken bones and no injuries whatsoever on his torso or lower extremities.'

Crime Scene Notes from the State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) Crime Scene Department are similarly clear.

Written by a James B. Tallon III the notes state: 'Originally HCSO had notified the South Carolina Highway Patrol (SCHP) in reference to this being a possible hit and run. After further investigation it was believed that the victim had been shot in the head.'

And EMS worker is noted as having, 'stated that a projectile wound was located on the victim's head.' 

And the notes state: 'A hole in the skull was located above the victim's right eye.'

But when the autopsy was conducted at MUSC Health University Medical Center, the manner of death was listed not as homicide but 'undetermined,' and it was ruled a hit and run. 

Clearly perplexed, the MAIT officer, who had attended the scene and spoken with Hampton County Coroner Dr. Washington, took the step of calling the doctor who conducted the autopsy and recorded being told: 'It was not a gunshot wound and no bullet or fragments were found during the x-ray and that in her opinion that since the body was found in the roadway, she could only theorize that it had to be a motor vehicle that caused the death.' 

44640703-9722907-The_Incident_Report_fro

44640695-9722907-image-m-16_162462819837

• Hook 'Em 1

Looks like I'm going to need a flow chart and accompanying PowerPoint to follow this shitshow.

So swirling around this family they have 4 total dead, 1 "unsuccessful" headshot, a looted law firm account, rehab, a boat crash, a coroner who can't tell the difference in a GSW and a hit and run, and local authorities running cover for the county's royal family ?  

This shit would be scrapped by As The World Turns as not believable and too far flung for their sophisticated daytime audience. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, smuggs said:

Responding DPS officers, EMS, accident investigator, county sheriff and county coroner at the scene all thought it was a gunshot and reported no vehicle debris around or on the body. Later after the autopsy the county sheriff and county coroner both changed tune and said hit and run. The doc that performed the autopsy basically told the accident investigator to pound sand.

It was an icicle wasn't it?

disney frozen snowman GIF by Walt Disney Animation Studios

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I look forward to the Netflix series

27 minutes ago, freyguy said:

so Nicole44 was correct?   Is that what we're saying?

Remember how the Texas Cheerleader Mom stuff got plastered all over the place, and spawned a movie or two and a TV mini-series or two?

If the same thing happened today, holy shit I can only imagine the hoopla surrounding it.

This SC thing has got everything though, it really does.

Shame that Chris Farley is dead (for many other reasons), as this would be right up his alley.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, freyguy said:

so Nicole44 was correct?   Is that what we're saying?

Shhhh….then the whole thread loses credibility by virtue of the fact I started it. Lol. 

I admit I was just following the murders and thought initially it was the girl’s family getting revenge until that asshole was shot “changing his tire.” That whole story makes zero sense. I guess he thought his story would be believed and he’d just go to rehab and the whole thing would go away? 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I admit I was just following the murders and thought initially it was the girl’s family getting revenge until that asshole was shot “changing his tire.” That whole story makes zero sense. I guess he thought his story would be believed and he’d just go to rehab and the whole thing would go away? 

If the whole tire-slashing thing hadn't happened, I would have assumed he decided to off himself after his shenanigans with the law firm's coffers were discovered, but he couldn't do it at the last second. Instead it turned into shitty cover-up 101.  Maybe try and reinforce that somebody was after the family instead of him going psycho on the family.

12 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Maybe mom and pops went ol yeller on Paul and then pops went Scream on mom.

Nobody can rat you out if there's nobody to rat you out.

From reading around though, the mom doesn't sound like the type.

He had reasons to kill both of them - the son for fucking around and screwing up a lot of stuff, and drawing attention to the family (necessitating him to pull in some favors) and the wife for initiating the audit on their finances.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Additionally, Alex Murdaugh was among the members of his family staring down a statewide grand jury investigation into alleged obstruction of justice in the aftermath of a fatal boat crashthat took place in Beaufort county, S.C. two-and-a-half years ago. In the early morning hours of February 23, 2019, Paul Murdaugh allegedly got drunk and slammed his father’s 17-foot, center console Sea Hunt fishing boat into a piling near the Archer’s Creek Bridge outside of Parris Island, S.C. That crash killed 19-year-old Mallory Beach of Hampton county, South Carolina and injured several other passengers.

In addition to the obstruction investigation, Alex Murdaugh was named as a defendant in a wrongful death lawsuit filed in the aftermath of the 2019 boat crash. In fact, he was scheduled to appear in court on June 10, 2021 – three days after his wife and son were murdered – to respond to discovery requests connected to that case. Those requests could have compelled him to release any number of potentially incriminating financial records, sources close to the case have told me.

https://www.fitsnews.com/2021/09/08/sources-investigators-recover-knife-used-to-puncture-alex-murdaughs-tire/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

They probably have a fleet of boats.  The 17’ was probably the only one junior was allowed to operate while hammered.  The throw away boat if you will.

yeah, the tide changes dramatically in that part of the state, you need a boat that will float in less than 12".  I have 24' SH and it drafts less than 2', the 17' will float in very shallow water. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jdhorn92 said:

yeah, the tide changes dramatically in that part of the state, you need a boat that will float in less than 12".  I have 24' SH and it drafts less than 2', the 17' will float in very shallow water. 

I know guys who know what they are doing who have gotten stuck and had to wait for the tides to change.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

If the whole tire-slashing thing hadn't happened, I would have assumed he decided to off himself after his shenanigans with the law firm's coffers were discovered, but he couldn't do it at the last second. Instead it turned into shitty cover-up 101.  Maybe try and reinforce that somebody was after the family instead of him going psycho on the family.

Nobody can rat you out if there's nobody to rat you out.

From reading around though, the mom doesn't sound like the type.

He had reasons to kill both of them - the son for fucking around and screwing up a lot of stuff, and drawing attention to the family (necessitating him to pull in some favors) and the wife for initiating the audit on their finances.

Agree with all of this. And I think the people he paid to shoot at him weren't supposed to actually hit him.  

Additionally, Alex Murdaugh was among the members of his family staring down a statewide grand jury investigation into alleged obstruction of justice in the aftermath of a fatal boat crashthat took place in Beaufort county, S.C. two-and-a-half years ago. In the early morning hours of February 23, 2019, Paul Murdaugh allegedly got drunk and slammed his father’s 17-foot, center console Sea Hunt fishing boat into a piling near the Archer’s Creek Bridge outside of Parris Island, S.C. That crash killed 19-year-old Mallory Beach of Hampton county, South Carolina and injured several other passengers.

In addition to the obstruction investigation, Alex Murdaugh was named as a defendant in a wrongful death lawsuit filed in the aftermath of the 2019 boat crash. In fact, he was scheduled to appear in court on June 10, 2021 – three days after his wife and son were murdered – to respond to discovery requests connected to that case. Those requests could have compelled him to release any number of potentially incriminating financial records, sources close to the case have told me.

https://www.fitsnews.com/2021/09/08/sources-investigators-recover-knife-used-to-puncture-alex-murdaughs-tire/

That’s interesting. This shit is escalating quick. FBI may be involved soon. I bet a lot of people are shitting bricks right now