South Carolina Attorney shot in head months after wife and son shot dead

Nicole44

7 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

It's a complicated call, but I think Nicole44 wins this one.  What a story.

It’s just gets weirder and weirder. If I was that Buster kid I would go into hiding. Who knows if daddy put a hit out on you? I guess I would be “….” No idea what word to use if I hired a hit man to kill me and he failed? 

• Hook 'Em 1

His lawyers are busy setting up the "unpaid drug debt" defense for the wife/son murders.

Murdaugh’s lawyers, however, released a statement Wednesday claiming their client’s opioid addiction and the influence of others were the main culprits for the Sept. 4 shooting, stating that at the time, he believed “ending his life was his only option.

“For the last 20 years, there have been many people feeding his addiction to opioids. During that time, these individuals took advantage of his addiction and his ability to pay substantial funds for illegal drugs. One of those individuals took advantage of his mental illness and agreed to take Alex’s life, by shooting him in the head,” Dick Harpootlian and Jim Griffin, lawyers for Murdaugh, said.

Never underestimate the power of an addiction to spin a situation so far out of control that even Hollywood couldn't make it up.

Not excusing his actions nor making light of the circumstances, but holy hell, he has to be thinking what else can go wrong - the hitman I hired fucked up my own murder.....what else can go wrong.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

You would think an attorney would read his life insurance policy suicide exclusion before going through the trouble of hiring someone to "murder" him.  Dumbass likely could have shot himself and the son would still have been able to collect, assuming the policy was more than 2 years old.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It was a $10 million policy maybe the suicide clause didn't have a expiration.  I'm not an insurance agent though.

Life insurance is pretty cut and dry.  As long as you pay the premium, if you die more than 2 years after the policy was put in place it pays out.

30 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Life insurance is pretty cut and dry.  As long as you pay the premium, if you die more than 2 years after the policy was put in place it pays out.

There are a few qualifiers like you can't be committing a crime on most term policies.  Pretty sure if it was proven you paid someone to shoot you the insurance company wouldn't pay out.

Edited by drt

50 minutes ago, drt said:

There are a few qualifiers like you can't be committing a crime on most term policies.  Pretty sure if it was proven you paid someone to shoot you the insurance company wouldn't pay out.

It all depends on the policy, of course. Technically suicide is a crime (homicide), at least in Texas.

Supposedly, Alex referred the housekeeper’s family to his good family friend to represent them. Allegedly, Alex pocketed the $500000 the housekeepers family was supposed to receive. 

The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division says it is opening a criminal investigation into the death of a housekeeper who worked for the Murdaugh family. Officials say Gloria Satterfield died on February 26, 2018, and it was the death certificate listed the manner of death as “natural.”

https://www.abccolumbia.com/2021/09/15/sled-opening-criminal-investigation-into-the-2018-death-of-housekeeper-who-worked-for-the-murdaugh-family/

I’m not buying that he spent all that money (around 5 million or so taken from his firm) on oxy—his attorney was on tv today saying he wrote checks to his dealers/dealer? The fuck? 

His dealer was a client. So if he writes him a check from the firm, it might be to pay him for part of the settlement?

And also, this thing is all over CNN tonight. Decided to watch since I haven't for a while and this case is pasted all over. They are saying they reopened the housekeeper death. Fucking shit is gong down. All the cooperators in the coroner's office and police are gonna get fucked for helping this family. 

Is Murdaugh Scottish? Because if so, then all that ginger is older than fuck and this shitastic family has been hiding their evil in plain sight for centuries.

Edited by burntorangebongos
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

The comments on local news stories are crazy: (all local rumors)

1. Buster was kicked out of law school for plagiarism. Also, rumors are that the gay murdered young man was not his boyfriend, but Paul’s. Which that investigation has also been reopened by SLED. Good luck with how this family is entrenched in every aspect of local and state government. 

2. Paul killed his boyfriend. Allegedly, there is evidence connecting the killing to the Murdaugh family. Which SLED came upon while investigating the murders of Maggie and Paul and the shooting of Alex.

3. one of Alex’s attorneys is a state senator as well. That Dick guy.

4. Housekeeper was pushed down the stairs by Paul. Allegedly, she knew about his murdered boyfriend. No autopsy was ever done on housekeeper. Shady shit there with the finances. Which I posted about above. Her family was supposed to get $500k but hasn’t seen a dime meanwhile their attorney got $175,000 and that guy was Alex’s best friend and recommended her family use him.

5. Alex may have killed his own dad? In addition to either killing his wife Maggie and son Paul or hiring someone to do so.

6. How does one spend $5 million on opiates? Makes no sense. Alex’s own brother was shocked about Alex’s  statement of drug use which Alex’s attorneys say is so bad he stole/ blew millions? 

The shit is about to hit the fan with this guy and possibly the firm. Sounds like a lot of insurance fraud and embezzlement of settlements are not the only thing (murder duh) going on with that Firm. 

anyway the comments under the articles on Fitsnews are interesting. Could all be bullshit or not but there are a lot of people in the low country that have known he was a skeeze for a long time I guess. They think that charges will be filed by Friday afternoon at the latest. They already have him on the attempted murder/suicide attempt.

16 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The comments on local news stories are crazy: (all local rumors)

1. Buster was kicked out of law school for plagiarism. Also, rumors are that the gay murdered young man was not his boyfriend, but Paul’s. Which that investigation has also been reopened by SLED. Good luck with how this family is entrenched in every aspect of local and state government. 

2. Paul killed his boyfriend. Allegedly, there is evidence connecting the killing to the Murdaugh family. Which SLED came upon while investigating the murders of Maggie and Paul and the shooting of Alex.

3. one of Alex’s attorneys is a state senator as well. That Dick guy.

4. Housekeeper was pushed down the stairs by Paul. Allegedly, she knew about his murdered boyfriend. No autopsy was ever done on housekeeper. Shady shit there with the finances. Which I posted about above. Her family was supposed to get $500k but hasn’t seen a dime meanwhile their attorney got $175,000 and that guy was Alex’s best friend and recommended her family use him.

5. Alex may have killed his own dad? In addition to either killing his wife Maggie and son Paul or hiring someone to do so.

6. How does one spend $5 million on opiates? Makes no sense. Alex’s own brother was shocked about Alex’s  statement of drug use which Alex’s attorneys say is so bad he stole/ blew millions? 

The shit is about to hit the fan with this guy and possibly the firm. Sounds like a lot of insurance fraud and embezzlement of settlements are not the only thing (murder duh) going on with that Firm. 

anyway the comments under the articles on Fitsnews are interesting. Could all be bullshit or not but there are a lot of people in the low country that have known he was a skeeze for a long time I guess. They think that charges will be filed by Friday afternoon at the latest. They already have him on the attempted murder/suicide attempt.

Most of that jibes with what I was told by a somewhat local attorney.  The drug/embezzlement stuff was not mentioned as I didn’t ask about it.

edited to add: no idea about the kid getting booted from law school either.

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Most of that jibes with what I was told by a somewhat local attorney.  The drug/embezzlement stuff was not mentioned as I didn’t ask about it.

I bet the the scuttlebutt is crazy. The boyfriend/housekeeper stuff? Is that what your friend said? That’s what I see most in the comments. Lots of rumors. Thanks for sharing. I’d feel better if the FBI was overseeing this case bc even if SLED has competent people anything they do or investigate will find it’s way back to Alex and his attorneys. Almost impossible I’d think to keep them out of the loop. And since his attorneys hit all the morning shows saying they have an idea who Maggie and Paul’s real killer is they know Alex is about to get collared for those murders soon. 

I guess he is turning his ass in tomorrow. Hmmm…I don’t know why they don’t go grab his ass at whatever rehab he is at tonite and put him on suicide watch just in case. I can’t see this guy going willingly. He actually was a volunteer prosecutor and has put quite a few people behind bars.

“Murdaugh's lawyer, Jim Griffin, told CNN's Martin Savidge they have been informed an arrest warrant has been issued for Murdaugh on charges of conspiracy to commit insurance fraud. Murdaugh plans to voluntarily surrender Thursday at the Hampton County jail, no later than 2 p.m., according to Griffin.” 

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

I bet the the scuttlebutt is crazy. The boyfriend/housekeeper stuff? Is that what your friend said? That’s what I see most in the comments. Lots of rumors. Thanks for sharing. I’d feel better if the FBI was overseeing this case bc even if SLED has competent people anything they do or investigate will find it’s way back to Alex and his attorneys. Almost impossible I’d think to keep them out of the loop. And since his attorneys hit all the morning shows saying they have an idea who Maggie and Paul’s real killer is they know Alex is about to get collared for those murders soon. 

It wasn’t an extended conversation.  It’s a fucked up family.  The gay guy and housekeeper deaths are highly suspect and have been since they happened.  Problem is they’re all fucking crazy, so it almost creates reasonable doubt for the others.  My guy’s in Charleston, so not totally local, but pretty close.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Good luck with how this family is entrenched in every aspect of local and state government. 

I would imagine that whatever power that family has evaporated once the public (and national) spotlight started shining on them.

47 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

6. How does one spend $5 million on opiates?

200.gif

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

His dealer was a client. So if he writes him a check from the firm, it might be to pay him for part of the settlement?

And also, this thing is all over CNN tonight. Decided to watch since I haven't for a while and this case is pasted all over. They are saying they reopened the housekeeper death. Fucking shit is gong down. All the cooperators in the coroner's office and police are gonna get fucked for helping this family. 

Is Murdaugh Scottish? Because if so, then all that ginger is older than fuck and this shitastic family has been hiding their evil in plain sight for centuries.

yeah, and it's pretty much how they pronounce '"murder." It's more like mor-daugh but very close. 

How are we all just letting little Buster skate? Like I said it's always either a mistress or an insurance policy or both. Buster stood to have his whole crazy ass family whacked and $10m. 

Kidding...maybe? If his brother was that psycho maybe he is an even bigger one. 

2 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

The family in this case is pronounced "Murdock" ... and Alex is pronounced "Eleck". 

I'm not kidding. 

SC trying to get all eccentric like Virginia...."Beauchamp" = "Beacham," "Taliaferro" = Toliver. There are some others I've forgotten that are even more ridiculous.  

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

There’s a lot of weird pronunciation shit going on in that neck of the woods.  It’s their own little way of identifying outsiders.

SC has a unique history among the colonies. It is effectively a colony of a colony -- Barbados. It got kinda overpopulated so the spillover wound up in SC and they organized along the lines they'd been working on in the Caribbean, which included the most savage of the Slave Codes. Down in Barbados, the Irish trash servants and slaves were mixing and finding common cause against the Brits and almost drove them off the island, so that was where the idea of setting all White trash above all Blacks was born. Divide & conquer. It was readily adopted in Virginia where the same union of White riff-raff and Black freedmen almost ended London's rule over that colony too. (For decades, Blacks and Whites were held to contracts of servitude; the introduction of slavery -- which is not a contract -- came later than most realize today.)

But yeah, SC is strange for that reason -- it's a British colony filtered through the Caribbean planted on the North American mainland. I kinda think that's why it has that weird flag. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/15/2021 at 6:58 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah that took a turn.  So when does Netflix start filming the 10-part series?

I've been reading up on this the last few days. Apparently, HBO already has something in the works according to Gordon Keith, who was discussing it on The Ticket this AM.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, C-Man said:

I've been reading up on this the last few days. Apparently, HBO already has something in the works according to Gordon Keith, who was discussing it on The Ticket this AM.

I hope they don't involve Mandy Matney at all just so we can listen to the bitch-fit she will throw about it on her podcast. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yep. HBO beat Dateline etc…of course no one could have predicted the shit that has happened the last two weeks. 

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

HBO docs are typically better than Netflix's. I'll Be Gone in the Dark being a huge exception. What a piece of shit show. 

This pleases me. 

• Hook 'Em 1