2021 Houston Texans Ain't Shit Season Thread

Brothahorn

4 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Given the fact the Texans will screw this process up, what is their next action?  Hire one of the white candidates, and stoke the fires of the current situation even more?  Interview more minority candidates?  Or, lay low and delay the announcement of the white guy a week or so?

Good question. I was really hoping it was gonna be Flores, reports suggest it's McCown, but the longer they take to announce it the more I think they want O'Connell. Either way they are going to look bad by firing Culley after one lost season and replacing him with a white head coach with no head coaching experience.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Given the fact the Texans will screw this process up, what is their next action?  Hire one of the white candidates, and stoke the fires of the current situation even more?  Interview more minority candidates?  Or, lay low and delay the announcement of the white guy a week or so?

6 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Good question. I was really hoping it was gonna be Flores, reports suggest it's McCown, but the longer they take to announce it the more I think they want O'Connell. Either way they are going to look bad by firing Culley after one lost season and replacing him with a white head coach with no head coaching experience.

The Texans don't seem like a franchise concerned or even aware of how they are perceived. They are blinded by their own incompetence.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, royiv said:

The Texans don't seem like a franchise concerned or even aware of how they are perceived. They are blinded by their own incompetence.

Yes that is true. 

I really hoped they were going after Flores, but it's clear that isn't happening now. I am very curious to hear more details about his conversations with the Texans because his suit was filed the day after his second interview with the Texans. Were the Texans just stringing him along with the intent of hiring the not-yet-named HC, or was his decision fully cemented by his experience with the Giants? Did he fulfill that second interview with the Texans just to keep up appearances or was he holding out hope they were going to hire him?  

Yes that is true. 
I really hoped they were going after Flores, but it's clear that isn't happening now. I am very curious to hear more details about his conversations with the Texans because his suit was filed the day after his second interview with the Texans. Were the Texans just stringing him along with the intent of hiring the not-yet-named HC, or was his decision fully cemented by his experience with the Giants? Did he fulfill that second interview with the Texans just to keep up appearances or was he holding out hope they were going to hire him?  

Texans need to offer Flores now, as they are probably unaware of all this going on. I hope all the other teams hire black coaches not named Flores.

This week's episode of The Bachelor was set in Houston and they had a segment featuring Jonathan Greenard and Kamu Grugier-Hill.  The fact that they are both objectively two of the 10 best players on the roster and I had no idea who they were until they put the names on the screen is just the perfect summary of our team right now.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 1

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

This week's episode of The Bachelor was set in Houston and they had a segment featuring Jonathan Greenard and Kamu Grugier-Hill.  The fact that they are both objectively two of the 10 best players on the team and I had no idea who they were until they put the names on the screen is just the perfect summary of our team right now.

If you mean putting a face to the name, there are a lot of NFL starters/studs that most fans wouldn't recognize because most of the time we don't see their faces during games. In fact, it's probably the norm.

11 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

If you mean putting a face to the name, there are a lot of NFL starters/studs that most fans wouldn't recognize because most of the time we don't see their faces during games. In fact, it's probably the norm.

Fair point, although I (and most of us) follow this shit more than most and I'd usually be able to pick out most of our top players.  The fact is, I can't remember a less marketable team in my decades following Houston sports.  At least the shitty Astros had fun young players like Altuve.

27 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Fair point, although I (and most of us) follow this shit more than most and I'd usually be able to pick out most of our top players.  The fact is, I can't remember a less marketable team in my decades following Houston sports.  At least the shitty Astros had fun young players like Altuve.

You're not wrong, and imo the last two seasons of the Houston Texans might be the low point of Houston pro football in my lifetime. It could be a function of getting old and not having the same attachment to the Texans that I had to the Oilers, but even those Oilers teams under Ed Biles, Chuck Studley, and Hugh Campbell didn't feel as lost and hapless as these teams. I still remember the day after the Oilers announced the signing of CFL football star Warren Moon and talking about it excitedly with my 6th grade classmates in the school cafeteria. This Texans organization is just lifeless and lost in Jesus bullshit from men whose wives cover their walls in "Faith Hope Love", "Blessed, and "Rich in Mercy, Grace and Love!" farmhouse frames. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Hiring under-qualified McCown over Flores would be another piece of evidence in Flores’ lawsuit. The NFL is a joke and they need to reform their draft to prevent teams from tanking and tripping over their dicks and having dipshit owners play with football operations with their buddies and family members.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Hiring under-qualified McCown over Flores would be another piece of evidence in Flores’ lawsuit. The NFL is a joke and they need to reform their draft to prevent teams from tanking and tripping over their dicks and having dipshit owners play with football operations with their buddies and family members.

flores is playing 3d chess

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Chron: Texans are worst name and should change too

I think I was team Apollos back in 2001, but would’ve been ok with Wildcatters. I don’t know they didn’t explore Drillers or other oil themes. The ignorant writer says Adams or the NFL should give back the name and colors…no kidding and good luck!

How do people not realize the NFL has zero say in the matter? The franchise owners own the color scheme, helmets, history, etc. The only reason the Browns got their deal was that it was a condition (along with a guarantee from the NFL of an expansion team within 5 years) of them dropping their lawsuit to keep Modell from moving to Baltimore…

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I think I was team Apollos back in 2001, but would’ve been ok with Wildcatters. I don’t know they didn’t explore Drillers or other oil themes. The ignorant writer says Adams or the NFL should give back the name and colors…no kidding and good luck!

I was all-in on Apollos

33 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yep.  Over fifty thousand Brown's fans showed up to protest the Browns moving.  I think the number for the Oilers was closer to fifty.

This always gets brought up as a big knock on the Oilers and their fans but the comparison between those two rallies ends at the letter -s. 

Congress didn't get involved in the Oilers relocation like it did with Cleveland and the Browns rally was well organized, publicized, and led by Drew Carey. That Oilers rally was a slapshot mess put together at the last minute and not well organized, but that thing certainly lived on in media folklore for "Why The Oilers Left" stories aimed at sanitizing Bud Adams and the new team in Tennessee.

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

How do people not realize the NFL has zero say in the matter? The franchise owners own the color scheme, helmets, history, etc. The only reason the Browns got their deal was that it was a condition (along with a guarantee from the NFL of an expansion team within 5 years) of them dropping their lawsuit to keep Modell from moving to Baltimore…

Yeah, but it would be nice for the NFL to put some form of pressure or incentive on Amy Adams Skunkhead to sell it back though. Regardless, I found it interesting that the Chronicle would publish an article calling out the team’s stupid name. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

This always gets brought up as a big knock on the Oilers and their fans but the comparison between those two rallies ends at the letter -s. 

Congress didn't get involved in the Oilers relocation like it did with Cleveland and the Browns rally was well organized, publicized, and led by Drew Carey. That Oilers rally was a slapshot mess put together at the last minute and not well organized, but that thing certainly lived on in media folklore for "Why The Oilers Left" stories aimed at sanitizing Bud Adams and the new team in Tennessee.

Understod, but there was no well organized opposition.  That's the point.  There was a precedent set, but Houston DNGAF so the Oilers name remains unattainable. I say that as someone that would love to see the old Oiler's uniforms on Sunday,

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

Understood, but there was no well organized opposition.

Disagree, plenty of us were opposed to the Oilers leaving but the PR reality was a nightmare because of the political fight between Lanier and Adams over that stadium proposal, and by that time the Oilers already had a deal in place with Nashville. The point isn't that there wasn't opposition to the move, but it was disorganized. Oilers fans never had the same support that Browns fans got from the powers that be.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

name and colors are lame but no one would give a shit if the team won. 

I was in college when they moved to TN and grad school when the Texans began. I guess it’s because I was an adult and didn’t live in Houston at the time, but I just couldn’t ever care that much about the Texans.

It’s totally irrational, but if they had come back in 92 as the Oilers, I’d have been all the way back in. I guess we really do root for laundry. As inept as they’ve been, I wouldn’t care if only they were the Oilers. (But passing on VY would have been really hard to take.)

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Disagree, plenty of us were opposed to the Oilers leaving but the PR reality was a nightmare because of the political fight between Lanier and Adams over that stadium proposal, and by that time the Oilers already had a deal in place with Nashville. The point isn't that there wasn't opposition to the move, but it was disorganized. Oilers fans never had the same support that Browns fans got from the powers that be.

Fans' give a shit factor entered its terminal stage in Buffalo. Joe Montana pulled the plug.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Or maybe it’s Flores with the stipulation that McCown is the QB coach. That would be the sane thing to do, and a great entry point for McC into coaching. From all I’ve read, he’s well respected but damn man you have to get a minimal amount of experience for your fucking job…

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Or maybe it’s Flores with the stipulation that McCown is the QB coach. That would be the sane thing to do, and a great entry point for McC into coaching. From all I’ve read, he’s well respected but damn man you have to get a minimal amount of experience for your fucking job…

It’s McCown. The sooner people just accept it, the less upset they’ll be. Texans are a fucking joke 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 2/2/2022 at 11:20 AM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Lovie Smith! Come on down! You’re the next contestant on the Texans Shitshow!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1