(Discussion) how surly is too surly? where does the line get drawn?

On 5/30/2022 at 8:02 PM, statsman said:

Here is the history of this website-

Hornfans was the dominant free website. It was moderated to hold down the cussing, the criticism of Texas players and coaches and the boobies. 
Some posters, many very creative, bristled under the moderation. ShaggyBevo was formed as an alternative, to be a largely unmoderated board. 
After the 2016 election, many insisted on political moderation (“serious posts”). That morphed into a heavily moderated political board, with the moderation largely crowdsourced. The Dems outnumbered the GOP (Trump’s unpopularity among college educated had a lot to do with that) and it became a left wing echo chamber (most message boards are echo chambers for one wing or another- the old Hornfans and Shaggy boards were fun exceptions). 
ShaggyBevo became ShaggyTexas became SurlyHorns. 
A lot of funding for this board comes from WestMall posters (to avoid the ads). They are largely Dems. They moderate hard and do not want open discussion, preferring the old “Shut up, he explained” argument. They say that conservative posters who won’t engage are pussies; really, they just want fresh meat to gang up on with negs and insults. Tahoe Horn spent a couple of years trying to have discussions; he was chased off as a Trump-adjacent intolerable. 
This has become the bird’s business model. Conservative posters see a problem here that really doesn’t exist. The bias is not a bug, but a feature. The willingness of the moderators to turn the Daily Texas Uvalde threads into overt political anti GOP screeds is a clear example. 

That’s how this board started as a protest against anti-Boobies moderation, and turned into a hard anti-GOP moderated board. 

Did I get any of that wrong?

You’re a fucking moron.

Is that too surly?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Man, I go away on a gorgeous long weekend vacation to a tropical beach with the wife and I come back to the usual deranged posters negging me for who knows what and lying about what I have posted.  And also repeating the same lame joke over and over again like a 5 year old.  Who left the gate open to imagination land and let these mental cases roam free?  yes the bias is real, there are more posts in this thread and the Uvalde thread that deserve bans that are far more than what I posted.  But some of you chose to go through life being simple.  Bless you.

For the record, I have never posted in the CR about the Supremes or abortion so PW is as usual a liar.  But we all knew that already.  If complains was an auto neg you would have been crowd sourced ages ago.  Such a sad miserable person.

I suggest you people that have these derangement issues take some time off.  You people are on here 24 hours a day, holidays, weekends and are filled with delusional hatred for all things you do not agree with.  You need to take some time off and get out of your shitty little apartments, stop talking to your cats, and get offline for a bit to get some real world experiences.  Your little brains just can't take this everyday.  Most normal people take time away from here. I know it is difficult for you guys, but try and be normal.

Please seek help and try and not discuss me while I'm on vacation.  

I got you mixed up with Poe It Up, so for that, I apologize.  You, however, are still a whiny cunt.  You should quit while you are ahead.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

8 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Man, I go away on a gorgeous long weekend vacation to a tropical beach with the wife and I come back to the usual deranged posters negging me for who knows what and lying about what I have posted.  And also repeating the same lame joke over and over again like a 5 year old.  Who left the gate open to imagination land and let these mental cases roam free?  yes the bias is real, there are more posts in this thread and the Uvalde thread that deserve bans that are far more than what I posted.  But some of you chose to go through life being simple.  Bless you.

For the record, I have never posted in the CR about the Supremes or abortion so PW is as usual a liar.  But we all knew that already.  If complains was an auto neg you would have been crowd sourced ages ago.  Such a sad miserable person.

I suggest you people that have these derangement issues take some time off.  You people are on here 24 hours a day, holidays, weekends and are filled with delusional hatred for all things you do not agree with.  You need to take some time off and get out of your shitty little apartments, stop talking to your cats, and get offline for a bit to get some real world experiences.  Your little brains just can't take this everyday.  Most normal people take time away from here. I know it is difficult for you guys, but try and be normal.

Maybe next time just don't come back? No one cares. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

13 hours ago, slorch said:

Common sense gun regulations= further restricting the liberty of folks who are not the problem today.

But fucking that chicken is a lot more popular than challenging social standards and parenting these days.  That shit's too damned hard.

Common sense says don't shoot innocent people.  Laws aren't even needed for common sense handling of weapons.  

Common sense says that everything you just said is fucking dumb. I guess social standards and parenting are just that much better in all the other first world countries where little kids never get killed in a mass shooting at their school. Or hospitals. Or grocery stores.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

It'd be a great day if the conservative crowd ever grows skin thick enough to handle that. Yeah, your allowed to have your opinion, but you're in no way entitled to have anyone treat that opinion with respect. For as much shit as Johnny Sack very deservedly gets, at least he takes it on the chin and doesn't whine to the mods about getting told he's an idiot over and over again (as far as I know).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

On 6/1/2022 at 2:56 PM, Moby Ric said:

You could have said you're a whiny little bitch in fewer words.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

You know it really isn't. People will disagree with you, it's ok.

Actually I didn’t post much of anything after Uvalde. This site was toxic - just like the country. It’s calmed down a bit but only a little. 

19 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

19 4th graders died. Fuck your feelings 

Perfect example. This guy assumes I wasn’t crushed last week. Fucking moron. 

10 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

That's not true, you are making an assumption. He is just noting that you aren't so crushed that you'll actually vote for a politician that will do something beyond offer thoughts and prayers. In which case, fuck your feelings.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

So crushed that you’ll keep voting for the fuckheads who want 18-year-old psychopaths to have easy access to semi automatic long guns and 30 round magazines

Also one of my partners’ good friends, and by all reports a fantastic surgeon and better human being, is dead along with three other people by a guy that literally an hour before purchased an AR 15. So yeah fuck your feelings

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

That's not true, you are making an assumption. He is just noting that you aren't so crushed that you'll actually vote for a politician that will do something beyond offer thoughts and prayers. In which case, fuck your feelings.

He’s an idiot. 

2 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

So crushed that you’ll keep voting for the fuckheads who want 18-year-old psychopaths to have easy access to semi automatic long guns and 30 round magazines

Also one of my partners’ good friends, and by all reports a fantastic surgeon and better human being, is dead along with three other people by a guy that literally an hour before purchased an AR 15. So yeah fuck your feelings

No, I won’t. What else you got?

26 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Then you have my sincere apologies. 

The majority of people feel this way. We’ll see at election time. But, the majority of people also want to jump the asses of people they perceive to not be on their side. Why?  Don’t apologize; just think. 

52 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I'm really sorry to hear about your deceased surgeon friend of a friend.  I understand that the shooter was in his 40's.  I also understand that most homicides utilize handguns.  I also understand that murder is against the law.  Some people are really bad people.  Not convinced that any piece of legislation will change any of that.                                             

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 7

9 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I'm really sorry to hear about your deceased surgeon friend of a friend.  I understand that the shooter was in his 40's.  I also understand that most homicides utilize handguns.  I also understand that murder is against the law.  Some people are really bad people.  Not convinced that any piece of legislation will change any of that.                                             

And yet somehow the rest of the civilized world doesn’t have this problem. If there were a 7 day waiting period on firearm purchases those people would be alive. If the age to buy a gun were 21 those children in uvalde would be alive. Sadly we have really bad people in elected office and morons who keep voting for them

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

And yet somehow the rest of the civilized world doesn’t have this problem. If there were a 7 day waiting period on firearm purchases those people would be alive. If the age to buy a gun were 21 those children in uvalde would be alive. Sadly we have really bad people in elected office and morons who keep voting for them

There are a lot of causal assumptions in your statement.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 5

21 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Probably for the best that we don't try, then.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

5 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Oh look, another idiot who cares more for their guns than their fellow human beings.  

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

Oh look, it's another person who thinks splashing in the water is swimming.

But they (allegedly) care so much, so we should just roll with their ideas.

Edited by slorch

34 minutes ago, slorch said:

What we’ve been doing is literally getting people killed

which of the following would prevent you from legally obtaining a firearm

7 day waiting period

Red flag laws

Age of 21 to purchase

Fines for failure to keep firearm secure

Edited by Sawbonz

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Oh look, it's another person who thinks splashing in the water is swimming.

I don't understand "responsible firearms owners" who don't get angry and upset when firearms aren't used properly. Seems like if you partake in an activity, and there's a bunch of doofuses making that activity look bad, you would want to purge those individuals from that activity.

Oh wait, people who manufacture and sell firearms wouldn't make as much money if you did that? Well then, we can't have that! Literal profiteers off of dead kids. It's fucking sickening. Don't ever try to tell me this is about "rights". That's a fucking lie to my face and an insult to my intelligence.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Not convinced that any piece of legislation will change any of that.                                             

You're not convinced restricting access to guns will lower gun violence? 

I'm guessing if I showed you study after study showing that's a fact, it would change your opinion, right? 

Exactly

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

What we’ve been doing is literally getting people killed

which of the following would prevent you from legally obtaining a firearm

7 day waiting period

Red flag laws

Age of 21 to purchase

Fines for failure to keep firearm secure

Doesn’t go far enough. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

You're not convinced restricting access to guns will lower gun violence? 

I'm guessing if I showed you study after study showing that's a fact, it would change your opinion, right? 

Exactly

Ummm, I did not say that.  Ole, @DalTxHornFan did.  

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Oh look, another idiot who cares more for their guns than their fellow human beings.  

This is what I said to his "not convinced" bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I don't understand "responsible firearms owners" who don't get angry and upset when firearms aren't used properly. Seems like if you partake in an activity, and there's a bunch of doofuses making that activity look bad, you would want to purge those individuals from that activity.

Oh wait, people who manufacture and sell firearms wouldn't make as much money if you did that? Well then, we can't have that! Literal profiteers off of dead kids. It's fucking sickening. Don't ever try to tell me this is about "rights". That's a fucking lie to my face and an insult to my intelligence.

Who said responsible gun owners aren't concerned?

Making up worthless laws doesn't demonstrate concern either, thus the splashing water/ swimming comparison. By worthless, I am saying they won't curb these tragic events.  The answer doesn't emanate from the law.  It comes from within.  It comes from the home.  It comes from the family.

But that bothers too many people and we cannot blame that.

We as a society want to enable everything the individual wants or doesn't want to do.  Then when it's fucked up, it's a gun's fault.  Restricting otherwise law-abiding gun owners ain't the path to fixing it.  Most folks aren't willing to fix the real issues.  Might hurt someone's self-esteem.

Edited by slorch

26 minutes ago, slorch said:

Making up worthless laws doesn't demonstrate concern either, thus the splashing water/ swimming comparison. By worthless, I am saying they won't curb these tragic events.  The answer doesn't emanate from the law.  It comes from within.  It comes from the home.  It comes from the family.

We as a society want to enable everything the individual wants or doesn't want to do.  Then when it's fucked up, it's a gun's fault.  Restricting otherwise law-abiding gun owners ain't the path to fixing it.  Most folks aren't willing to fix the real issues.  Might hurt someone's self-esteem.

Am i allowed to own a fully auto? No? Then guns already have restrictions. Do these mass shooting happen with fully auto weapons? Oh no they don't. Because those are restricted. You god damn NRA-talking-point-parroting motherfucker. Again, stop insulting everyone's intelligence with this nonsense.

These mass shootings are happening with LEGALLY PURCHASED WEAPONS YOU FUCKING BUFFOON.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, slorch said:

Ok, slorch. Do enlighten us on your ideas for strengthening the family and instilling good values nationwide.  Mandatory church? Fines for having children out of wedlock? Make divorce illegal? 

I'm sure they'll be much easier, quicker, more realistic and effective to implement than a few gun control laws that every other civilized nation--including gun-loving Switzerland--figured out decades ago to completely curb gun violence, while still allowing responsible gun owners like you to keep your guns.

I would love for everyone to have a great family support structure, but I also want unicorns and rainbows. I'm all for digging into what makes Americans more likely to snap and decide to take as many people as they can with them...but not in lieu of passing fucking obvious common sense laws in the meantime.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

It's absolutely fucking hysterical that the muh freedoms crowd is resorting to litigating this issue in THIS THREAD rather than the ones where it belongs because they're too afraid of being challenged.

They know their arguments are trash. They'd rather pretend for things not to exist.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Somehow these same people (slorch) are able to call out and criticize rabid, psychotic fans within their fanbase (Texas Tech) but not those making gun owners look bad within their own fanbase (GOP)

6 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

It's absolutely fucking hysterical that the muh freedoms crowd is resorting to litigating this issue in THIS THREAD rather than the ones where it belongs because they're too afraid of being challenged.

Not to mention the alleged conservative @Cheeseweasel advocating for warrantless searches of people in "high crime areas." We all know what he's saying here.

Willing to trash the 4th amendment entirely, unwilling to even consider moderate regulations on the 2nd. Modern day "conservatism" in a nutshell. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Every single American should have unrestricted access to a single shot flintlock musket if they so desire, just as the founders intended.  Any other type of weapon designed after 1791 I'm cool with banning citizens from owning outright. 

I'm pretty sure this Supreme Court will back me up on this.  They seem very consistent.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

13 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

It's absolutely fucking hysterical predictable that the muh freedoms crowd is resorting to litigating this issue in THIS THREAD rather than the ones where it belongs because they're too afraid of being challenged.

fify

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Speaking of lines, is there anything more refreshing than crossing a line that warrants an immortal13 neg rep? Talk about having reassurance that you're on the right side of any topic. 

I hope when he stops lurking and goes back to posting that he doesn't get banned again. It's nice having an accurate barometer.

Exactly.  You get negged by him or Johnny, you know your argument is 100% correct.  It is pretty funny that he is following a number of us around to completely unrelated topics and negging.  It is called living rent free in his fucking pea sized brain.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

23 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Go back and read the thread and see who had to sneak in their opinion on the gun issue.  It's always so coy and convenient.

and it isn't about being challenged on a topic in other threads.  It's about the people who refuse to discuss the topics in good faith and just resort to negging because someone dared to have a different POV.  That isn't to paint every poster with that brush, because there are plenty of folks who do try and have that discussion.  then you get the fuckheads who never say anything to you on any topic or any forum or even that specific post, yet they neg.

It's bullshit that ain't gonna change, so fuck it.

I guess about 98% of the folks in here I'd buy a beer for at the bar or vice-versa; but because their politics are different from mine, they turn into a helpless talking point regurgitation tool.  It's a fucking beating, and I will  talk to anyone on virtually any topic, and have done so for a long ass time.

Edited by slorch

12 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Speaking of lines, is there anything more refreshing than crossing a line that warrants an immortal13 neg rep? Talk about having reassurance that you're on the right side of any topic. 

I hope when he stops lurking and goes back to posting that he doesn't get banned again. It's nice having an accurate barometer.

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Exactly.  You get negged by him or Johnny, you know your argument is 100% correct.  It is pretty funny that he is following a number of us around to completely unrelated topics and negging.  It is called living rent free in his fucking pea sized brain.  

I thought we got a warning against going back and mass negging old posts. He was hitting stuff from back in April yesterday.

Guess that kinda went by the wayside.

On 6/1/2022 at 2:56 PM, Moby Ric said:

You’re quite possibly the biggest pussy in the history of the internet.  Congrats, I guess.  You hate that people call you out on your factless, hideous takes on the rest of the world.  Well congrats again, Mr. Persecuted guy.   

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Go back and read the thread and see who had to sneak in their opinion on the gun issue.  It's always so coy and convenient.

and it isn't about being challenged on a topic in other threads.  It's about the people who refuse to discuss the topics in good faith and just resort to negging because someone dared to have a different POV.  That isn't to paint every poster with that brush, because there are plenty of folks who do try and have that discussion.  then you get the fuckheads who never say anything to you on any topic or any forum or even that specific post, yet they neg.

It's bullshit that ain't gonna change, so fuck it.

I guess about 98% of the folks in here I'd buy a beer for at the bar or vice-versa; but because their politics are different from mine, they turn into a helpless talking point regurgitation tool.  It's a fucking beating, and I will  talk to anyone on virtually any topic, and have done so for a long ass time.

fans GIF