(Discussion) how surly is too surly? where does the line get drawn?

shadow_operative

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

I am fine.

evidently y'all are miffed that someone didn't follow your unwritten rules.

Have I mentioned rep at all? I've just called out your hypocrisy and you're totally twisted around the axle. 

3 minutes ago, royiv said:

Have I mentioned rep at all? I've just called out your hypocrisy and you're totally twisted around the axle. 

LOLz.

twisted around what axle?

Surly?  Of course.  Many of us are.

48 minutes ago, Covri said:

Wow, gave himself some grizzly rep about another poster passing away.  What a jackass.

DBCC0E15-0B5F-4E98-A775-B1C2D9A2BA25.thumb.jpeg.d077c584632b43b50e143b1259374f7c.jpeg

Holy shit this is quite the find lmao. Slorch, who claims to not care about rep, runs a sock account solely to give himself rep? That is some incredible snowflake shit hahahaha

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/5/2022 at 12:22 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Bro, do you really do that? 

On 6/5/2022 at 12:24 PM, slorch said:

1 neg received= Iceman rep. It's a gift from the neggers.

Sorry i didn't submit this proposal for the board's approval.  Why does it bother you?

If not negged, there is no Iceman rep.  Again, rep doesn't matter.

On 6/5/2022 at 12:25 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Wow. 

1cRK.gif

• Haha 2

Rep doesn't matter.

So why is it incredible.

arbitrary bullshit is arbitrary.  Ghost negs are fun, right?

When this place changes back to a stand-up fucking entity where true conversations can be had without bitchass reactions, maybe the other practice will stop.

They drew first blood...and keep drawing.

66984742.jpg

(no I am not Rambo.  it's just fucking funny)

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Rep doesn't matter.

So why is it incredible.

arbitrary bullshit is arbitrary.  Ghost negs are fun, right?

When this place changes back to a stand-up fucking entity where true conversations can be had without bitchass reactions, maybe the other practice will stop.

They drew first blood...and keep drawing.

66984742.jpg

(no I am not Rambo.  it's just fucking funny)

If you were a public figure, a crisis PR firm would not take you as a client because you stupidly refuse to stop talking about what an entirely bizarre fruit loop you are.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/7/2022 at 8:01 PM, SizzleChest said:

If you were a public figure, a crisis PR firm would not take you as a client because you stupidly refuse to stop talking about what an entirely bizarre fruit loop you are.

1. I am not a public figure, nor do I care to be.

2. You take this shit far too seriously.

3. " Rep doesn't matter" isn't being repeatedly stated by me because I feel that way.  It is a mantra embraced and repeated ad nauseum by those who treat others like shit on here because they might disagree politically.  Then when someone illustrates that rep matters mightily to this crowd, aspersions are cast regarding that individual's mental state. Really?  Y'all are that fucking dense?( yes you are.  Just read the canned response chart, Charlie...) 

4. I'm a longtime member on this board/ community who has met in person with folks at charity events/ happy hours/  podcasts and pretty much puts it out there as sincerely as a poster can.  I am about as real and normal as it gets; but I will go outside the box to make a point, which I have in this case.  The repeated negs and ghost negs are bullshit and absolutely do affect the posting on this board and it's not in a beneficial way if true discussions are being sought. People hide behind the keyboard and act in ways that they would never do in real life. When asked why they respond in such a matter, they get amnesia or act like folks are dumb/ crazy; but every response is the OTHER poster's fault( i.e. my mental state in your assessment.) My very point is that y'all are the fucking loons who need to own your shit.  If some of you don't want to own that, and you repeatedly have made the point that you don't; then you get the echo chamber you want.  The continued hand-wringing about lil ole Slorch tells you everything you need to know.  

5 Either it's fake internet points that don't mean shit, or it means everything to y'all and it's used to deliberately harass otherwise regular posters.  Your acknowledgment isn't required for the harassment to occur.

On 6/5/2022 at 6:09 PM, Covri said:

Wow, gave himself some grizzy rep about another poster passing away.  What a jackass.

DBCC0E15-0B5F-4E98-A775-B1C2D9A2BA25.thumb.jpeg.d077c584632b43b50e143b1259374f7c.jpeg

Wait, you think the actual content of a post is relevant to how it is repped?

I am in agreement.  Thank you for noticing the example of ghost repping a post.

6 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

When you pull rep from the CR? 

Lol then we'll just have the DTganggang running around repping themselves and running neg trains whenever a snowflake gets melted. 

IMO, it'd be really interesting to actually look at the data as far as what board sends the most rep. @immamac got any kibana dashboards or read replicas set up for the SurlyIndex? I'd genuinely be interested to poke at the data and see the real state of the surly

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 6/7/2022 at 9:40 PM, immamac said:

When is this bad dream going to be over

You could save yourself the trouble and turn off Cloak Room and Daily Texan rep. Then institute a rule that if you are rep bombing, you get a timeout or your account nuked. It shouldn't be that difficult. Or get rid of rep in general because it's silly and fairly worthless. 

• Hook 'Em 8

4 hours ago, slorch said:

Wait, you think the actual content of a post is relevant to how it is repped?

I am in agreement.  Thank you for noticing the example of ghost repping a post.

Sorry I don’t know how your pathetic self rep system works.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The whole conversation around rep is so fucking pathetic. Rep shouldnt count for people i don't like! Someone ghost repped me! I can't believe someone would leave me a negative rep without posting a note as to why! If you have ever said any variation of these things, you're a pussy and you need to log off and reconsider what is important in your life.

And if you've ever created a second account just to give yourself fake internet points, you are irredeemably lame. Sorry. I'll never not throw it in your face.

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, slorch said:

1. I am not a public figure, nor do I care to be.

2. You take this shit far too seriously.

3. " Rep doesn't matter" isn't being repeatedly stated by me because I feel that way.  It is a mantra embraced and repeated ad nauseum by those who treat others like shit on here because they might disagree politically.  Then when someone illustrates that rep matters mightily to this crowd, aspersions are cast regarding that individual's mental state. Really?  Y'all are that fucking dense?( yes you are.  Just read the canned response chart, Charlie...) 

4. I'm a longtime member on this board/ community who has met in person with folks at charity events/ happy hours/  podcasts and pretty much puts it out there as sincerely as a poster can.  I am about as real and normal as it gets; but I will go outside the box to make a point, which I have in this case.  The repeated negs and ghost negs are bullshit and absolutely do affect the posting on this board and it's not in a beneficial way if true discussions are being sought. People hide behind the keyboard and act in ways that they would never do in real life. When asked why they respond in such a matter, they get amnesia or act like folks are dumb/ crazy; but every response is the OTHER poster's fault( i.e. my mental state in your assessment.) My very point is that y'all are the fucking loons who need to own your shit.  If some of you don't want to own that, and you repeatedly have made the point that you don't; then you get the echo chamber you want.  The continued hand-wringing about lil ole Slorch tells you everything you need to know.  

5 Either it's fake internet points that don't mean shit, or it means everything to y'all and it's used to deliberately harass otherwise regular posters.  Your acknowledgment isn't required for the harassment to occur.

awkward high five.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

The whole conversation around rep is so fucking pathetic. Rep shouldnt count for people i don't like! Someone ghost repped me! I can't believe someone would leave me a negative rep without posting a note as to why! If you have ever said any variation of these things, you're a pussy and you need to log off and reconsider what is important in your life.

I give zero shits about rep and I avoid the CR like College Station, but it's used to control a narrative. Those who don't abide are negged. Those who speak The Truth are given a cookie.

Whether you admit that's true or not is on you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I give zero shits about rep and I avoid the CR like College Station, but it's used to control a narrative. Those who don't abide are negged. Those who speak The Truth are given a cookie.

Whether you admit that's true or not is on you.

You're one of the most political posters on the site, you big pussy. Whether you want to admit that's true or not is on you.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

Lol then we'll just have the DTganggang running around repping themselves and running neg trains whenever a snowflake gets melted. 

IMO, it'd be really interesting to actually look at the data as far as what board sends the most rep. @immamac got any kibana dashboards or read replicas set up for the SurlyIndex? I'd genuinely be interested to poke at the data and see the real state of the surly

You’re not guilty of this, and I don’t get neg trained, but the neg train culprits come directly from CR. Sometimes warranted, and they better ramp up with fucking slorch AND Iceman, but oftentimes shenanigans. The cruel and tragic variety. 

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

You could save yourself the trouble and turn off Cloak Room and Daily Texan rep. Then institute a rule that if you are rep bombing, you get a timeout or your account nuked. It shouldn't be that difficult. Or get rid of rep in general because it's silly and fairly worthless. 

Bring back rep comments, you AIDS-ridden festering cunt!

14 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

You’re not guilty of this, and I don’t get neg trained, but the neg train culprits come directly from CR. Sometimes warranted, and they better ramp up with fucking slorch AND Iceman, but oftentimes shenanigans. The cruel and tragic variety. 

From my anecdotal observation, those neg trains tend to follow posters who come into CR with bad-faith and fact-free talking points who refuse to engage on substance, or it's for posters who have been legitimately crowdsourced or perma banned multiple times but keep coming back with a sock account to lob more shitposts.

I don't have any data to back this up, but it'd be an interesting thing to actually back with data rather than anecdotes.

There's a prevailing mindset that posting a differing opinion gets you negbombed in CR. That's not the case. It's derailing shitposting, trolling, and mindless repetition of factually inaccurate talking points that gets you in trouble. 

For a good example of shit that usually leads to negbombing, check out clapclapclap's latest thread

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

There's a prevailing mindset that posting a differing opinion gets you negbombed in CR. That's not the case.

And yet, here's a sample of a post that got negged:

One can think pursuing massive solar investment is wise while at the same time recognizing there will still be fossil fuels in our future.

You couldn’t eliminate fossil fuels from our day to day lives even if everyone wanted. Too vital to too many vital industries. Look at the global famine that’s unfolding. High natural gas prices play a huge role in that via fertilizer.

We should be leveraging our resource advantages where we have them. It would make us more energy secure (and politically secure), while also helping to stabilize things geopolitically.

Seems like a reasonable point for discussion whether you agree or not. 

This is why 90% of Surly users avoid the CR. You pretend it's "just honest discussion" but you're blind to the fact it's an echo chamber. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Cheeseweasel said:

This is why 90% of Surly users avoid the CR. You pretend it's "just honest discussion" but you're blind to the fact it's an echo chamber. 

I noticed you removed the posters name from that post... Who was the author? 

I don't disagree that neg trains are not a rare occurrence, but I can't say I've ever felt bad for any of the recipients, considering the body of posts and behavior prior to the negging.

If you want to play the "unfair neg" game, you should check up on ya boi rittenhouse meme man - aka 4doors/immortal. I frequently get random negs from a bevy of "the election was stolen" posters, but it's not a crisis lol. It's not making me feel like I can't post in places. 

I just ignore the crazies and keep posting. Like I said, it would be interesting to look at the actual numbers and test my assumptions, but it really does seem like y'all are just doing the performative victimhood thing again. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I noticed you removed the posters name from that post... Who was the author? 

Why does that matter? Your point was that only bad takes are negged. You're proving my point. (FYI, I copied and pasted, so I guess it doesn't add the name on when you do that)

12 minutes ago, Captainant said:

If you want to play the "unfair neg" game, you should check up on ya boi rittenhouse meme man - aka 4doors/immortal. I frequently get random negs from a bevy of "the election was stolen" posters, but it's not a crisis lol. It's not making me feel like I can't post in places. 

Equally as stupid. Negging for anything other than shitty football takes or being an outright fuckwad is dumb.

13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I just ignore the crazies and keep posting.

This is the way. FWIW, I used to have you on ignore, but I've noticed your posts more and more & stopped the ignore. You seem like a genuinely good dude.

15 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Like I said, it would be interesting to look at the actual numbers and test my assumptions, but it really does seem like y'all are just doing the performative victimhood thing again. 

I agree. I think the stats would be cool to look at. No victimhood here, neg how you see fit. I just think Surly would be a better place if (as @mdmost pointed out) if certain aspects of Rep were managed differently. Neg bombing is childish except for trolls. And they can be easily eliminated by pointing them out to a mod.

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Why does that matter?

Because the poster has been banned multiple times, which @Captainant covered in his post.

47 minutes ago, Captainant said:

or it's for posters who have been legitimately crowdsourced or perma banned multiple times but keep coming back with a sock account to lob more shitposts.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Why does that matter? Your point was that only bad takes are negged. You're proving my point. (FYI, I copied and pasted, so I guess it doesn't add the name on when you do that)

You can use the little plus "multi-quote" feature to quote across threads and pages, FYI.

But my point was NOT that only bad posts get negged. It's that the neg trains follow posters who have been banned multiple times, and are usually instigated from some other pigheaded post which then follows to other posts - deserving or not.

Who was the poster that you were quoting and citing as an example? I'd bet it's a frequent flier on the new account creation page

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Captainant said:

You can use the little plus "multi-quote" feature to quote across threads and pages, FYI.

But my point was NOT that only had posts get negged. It's that the neg trains follow posters who have been banned multiple times, and are usually instigated from some other pigheaded post which then follows to other posts - deserving or not.

Who was the poster that you were quoting and citing as an example? I'd bet it's a frequent flier on the new account creation page

GR's latest sock, Vibes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

And yet, here's a sample of a post that got negged:

What thread is this in?