Texas/ou 11am on ABC

Pancho

OU giving between 3-7 feels right to be honest. They've looked like a slightly better team and generally deserve the benefit of the doubt given their success in the series and Big 12 under Riley. OU offense also got it together against Kansas State and Texas is bringing in a first-year starter at QB, which is basically a guaranteed loss in the RRS historically (some recent Riley QBs non-withstanding) when it only applies to one side. 

Of course, they never matter, but this is as wide open of a RRS as there has been in a while terms of pregame expectation. Both teams have shown encouraging flashes and ugly lows. Both coming off hard fought road wins over their respective purple kryptonite. 2019 was pretty open but that OU team was also coming off a playoff berth and destroying everyone. 2020 felt like Texas's game to lose and they did indeed do that. All the games prior OU was an indisputable favorite, though Texas managed to pick a few of those off because that's how it goes. I'm not sure there's an outcome that would really surprise me this year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

OU giving between 3-7 feels right to be honest. They've looked like a slightly better team and generally deserve the benefit of the doubt given their success in the series and Big 12 under Riley. OU offense also got it together against Kansas State and Texas is bringing in a first-year starter at QB, which is basically a guaranteed loss in the RRS historically (some recent Riley QBs non-withstanding) when it only applies to one side. 

Of course, they never matter, but this is as wide open of a RRS as there has been in a while terms of pregame expectation. Both teams have shown encouraging flashes and ugly lows. Both coming off hard fought road wins over their respective purple kryptonite. 2019 was pretty open but that OU team was also coming off a playoff berth and destroying everyone. 2020 felt like Texas's game to lose and they did indeed do that. All the games prior OU was an indisputable favorite, though Texas managed to pick a few of those off because that's how it goes. I'm not sure there's an outcome that would really surprise me this year.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I read this is the 99th meeting in Dallas (I think it's 115 overall).  And that the first game at the Cotton Bowl for the to teams was 1930.  But did OU and Texas start playing there right away when it opened?  Or was it slightly later? 

First game in Dallas was 1912. Before that from 1900-1911, it was played in Austin or Norman/OKC. 1913 was played in Houston for some reason. 1922 & 1923 were home and home. Series didn't resume till 1929 when it was in Dallas. I'm not sure where the Dallas games were played before 1930. 

• Hook 'Em 1

mdmost---Saw that as well.  Was just curious what installment this was at the Cotton Bowl?  I guess 91st?  A friend from Oklahoma (I'm ashamed I have two) was telling me that after this year, just the games at the Cotton Bowl...they'll pull up even with us.  I'm too lazy to count.  But he pointed out that next year will be the 100th meeting in Dallas.  So I'm using that as a talking point to have the wife let me bring the girls up there next year to the Fair/game.  We've been ~15 times together but never with the kids, I think she had something bad happen to her at a carnival/state fair years ago in Hutchison, KS 'cause she fucking hates carnivals as much as I hate Oklahoma.  

FUcking-A awesome on the Gameday News.  Gonna make an early 'n ugly morning for many of y'all.  

Edited by Lobo

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

I’m wondering if Kirk and Chris announce our game like they did with UGA/Arkansas even though it was the 11am game. 

I think that's the case. The only other game they could do would be either Nebraska @ Michigan or Boise State @ BYU. Not sure Kirk could get up to Provo that quickly. 

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think that's the case. The only other game they could do would be either Nebraska @ Michigan or Boise State @ BYU. Not sure Kirk could get up to Provo that quickly. 

Even if he used Stanwyck's plane, no way he could get to Spain that fast. 

14 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am genuinely excited for this game. This is a beatable OU squad, if this is a high scoring game I will be very surprised. We need some scheme magic from Sarkisian to get Grinch on his heels early.

Likewise PK needs to shut their passing game down since they barely have a running attack. Time to see what he can do against the best version of the air raid. 

4 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I am genuinely excited for this game. This is a beatable OU squad, if this is a high scoring game I will be very surprised. We need some scheme magic from Sarkisian to get Grinch on his heels early.

Absolutely, we've blown opportunities to send these fuckbags packing two years in a row. Hopefully Sark lets Bijan rush for 215 

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

Don't discount our advantage of playing at 11 AM three weeks in a row, while OU played at 6:30 and 2:30 the past two weeks.  That is surely worth a point or two right there.

Also, we have the advantage of not having a QB that looks like he crawled up from the sewer. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Also, we have the advantage of not having a QB that looks like he crawled up from the sewer. 

doesn't matter what he looks like if we can't pressure that fucker then some skinny fucking little receiver will have 200 yards and 3 TDs like normal.

On 10/1/2021 at 3:45 PM, Hermanator said:

Recently I went to a concert where a screenshot wouldn't work. They had a motion scan barcode and it wouldn't scan unless the motion was present. I wonder if these would be the same as that's the only event I've been to since 2019 and the first time I've seen that

NC State's mobile tickets lock your phone out of taking screenshots while they're onscreen. Kind of weird, honestly.

17 hours ago, texifornia said:

NC State's mobile tickets lock your phone out of taking screenshots while they're onscreen. Kind of weird, honestly.

I can understand why they don't want screenshots to work. Some assholes take the screen shot, sell the tickets on an exchange, then show up right at gate opening to get in and rip off whoever bought the tickets from them. I'm sure the stubhubs and seatgeeks influenced the change to stop ticket fraud on their sites that was costing them money. 

• Like 1

Just now, babysdaddy said:

Are we going to have another fucking night game this year or not?  Because we are going to boat race the sooners.

If we win, then unlikely at home. 

Waco or Morgantown could be night games. 

On 10/3/2021 at 9:30 AM, Tom Chairman said:

The vaunted ESPN matchup predicter, which has been shown to be right...well, at least once before (I think?)...gives us a 43% chance vs the land thieves.

prediction tracker average has OU as a 0.86 favorite. mean is 1.87 OU favorite.

literally a 52.1% OU win vs a 47.9%Texas win.

their top predictions all aren't updated in the system yet, so can't look at the top few (1-3 and 5) but #4 has Texas as a 3.3 point favorite. Donches has OU favored by 3.8

basically, shit is going to be super close.

prediction tracker average has OU as a 0.86 favorite. mean is 1.87 OU favorite.
literally a 52.1% OU win vs a 47.9%Texas win.
their top predictions all aren't updated in the system yet, so can't look at the top few (1-3 and 5) but #4 has Texas as a 3.3 point favorite. Donches has OU favored by 3.8
basically, shit is going to be super close.

he did the math
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, hookem48 said:

doesn't matter what he looks like if we can't pressure that fucker then some skinny fucking little receiver will have 200 yards and 3 TDs like normal.

one of those wr you described is balling out in Dallas for the Pokes and Hollywood is pretty damn good too.  Still need to get them on the ground asap after the catch though.  Hazelnuts is the one we need to account for, him and lil Stoops

Edited by jdhorn92

On 10/1/2021 at 9:43 AM, mdmost said:

The average Cotton Bowl gate employee may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, to put it politely. Combine that with ticket holders that can't figure out how to pull up something on their phone. I'm just saying that getting there early is a wise idea. 

Same for the fair entrance. Going to need scan there as well.

Yeah, get to both places early. 

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, winner gets the Big Noon slot.   Loser has to go up against the ALCS or NLCS games in the evening. 

I had read, but can't verify, that ABC has first pick this year (OU-Texas on ABC lends credence to this), and that would mean the winner would get the night game, presuming opponents don't do something that is more shifting to which game is valuable than the RRS outcome. 

Just now, TXSooner518 said:

I had read, but can't verify, that ABC has first pick this year (OU-Texas on ABC lends credence to this), and that would mean the winner would get the night game, presuming opponents don't do something that is more shifting to which game is valuable than the RRS outcome. 

saw this on twitagra.  Looks like ABC has first pick in odd years

Sorry if already discussed...

Disappointed about the Okafor injury 🙏,   but imo the TEXAS O-line group starting on Saturday just improved with Kerstetter at left guard.  

Also... this from Scipio Tex

Gary Patterson was justifiably terrified of exposing his shaky secondary and was reluctant to crowd the box other than on some key downs and late in the game when the Frogs trailed. Alex Grinch will expose his secondary and dare Casey Thompson to make big throws.

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

Just now, gmr548 said:

Who cares? Texas fans concerned about TV ratings over game atmosphere on a huge recruiting weekend is so painfully on brand.

I care because baseball playoffs are the one thing I will turn on over college football.  

30 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Gary Patterson was justifiably terrified of exposing his shaky secondary and was reluctant to crowd the box other than on some key downs and late in the game when the Frogs trailed. Alex Grinch will expose his secondary and dare Casey Thompson to make big throws.

Do it, you ugly fuck.