[Surly Official] Texas @ TCU Game Thread - 11am on ABC

Pancho

10 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

So you're saying after giving up 99 yards on a drive and having a 3rd and six in our own territory after getting stuffed four plays in a row, is no cause for worry, as a fan? Are you high?

It’s sounds like you worry no matter what the fuck is going on

• Hook 'Em 1

Nah I enjoyed beating pat at his own brand of football.

But once their D was gased midway through the 3rd and our D was making them earn it.
That 12 point lead was pretty dang safe.

Are you sure you watched until the end? It was pretty dang close to them getting the ball back with time on the clock. Our defense was also gassed and unable to stop them from moving the ball. No timeouts so it would’ve been difficult, but the FIVE point lead wasn’t particularly safe.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Evans' butthurt bro calling Bijan slow.Screenshot_20211002-123535_Twitter.thumb.jpg.40d59ed04bdd081893473c8b9fedd1cc.jpg 🤣

Lol. Look at this salty ass pussy. His brother ain’t man enough to carry a load. 15 carries or whatever and the OC can’t call his number with the game on the line because he’s gassed. 
Passing game wasn’t working for shit so Sark calls on #5 all day. They know it’s coming any they can’t stop him.

Maybe Bijan isn’t the best RB in college football (narrator: “He is.”) but that title doesn’t go to a guy who worn down after 15 carries in a rivalry game. (Seriously though Zach Evans is pretty damn good). 

I wished for better but I’m pretty happy with the win. Any recent game, we get up by two scores late in the third or the fourth and they reel us in as our offense turtles and defense gets methodically drove on. 

Overshown seemed to be everywhere.  Dicker did his thing.  Nothing wrong with a tough win. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

I'm not gonna lie.  After all the jawing Frog and their supporters in the Texas Legislature did at us over leaving for the SEC this summer, it felt really good today to get scoreboard on them, put them in their place, and hopefully shut them up for good on our way out the door.   It wasn't the prettiest of wins, and I feel like our guys could have played a lot better.  Though all too often in the past, the game before OU was often a trap game where we got caught looking ahead.  Our guys did just enough to win today, and credit to Sark for that.  I didn't like the play called on 4th and goal where we got stuffed, but overall, I thought Sark did a good job.  Some of our previous coaches (ahem, Turtle Tom) were really bad about trying to pound a round peg into a square hole when it came to playcalling.  Sark took what they gave us today.  Pounding the rock with Bijan was working, so he kept going to that.  Good stuff.

It's 8:23 p.m. in Austin right now...and OU SUCKS!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

There's a notable difference in the quality of play over early Strong/Herman games.

When I get frustrated, I keep reminding myself that for great coaches the first half of the first season is likely the worst their teams will ever look. If that's true for sark, bright times ahead.

Aside from today we’ve limited stupid penalties but the penalties being called today were stupid dog shit officiating. 

15 minutes ago, orangebird said:

I'm not gonna lie.  After all the jawing Frog and their supporters in the Texas Legislature did at us over leaving for the SEC this summer, it felt really good today to get scoreboard on them, put them in their place, and hopefully shut them up for good on our way out the door.   It wasn't the prettiest of wins, and I feel like our guys could have played a lot better.  Though all too often in the past, the game before OU was often a trap game where we got caught looking ahead.  Our guys did just enough to win today, and credit to Sark for that.  I didn't like the play called on 4th and goal where we got stuffed, but overall, I thought Sark did a good job.  Some of our previous coaches (ahem, Turtle Tom) were really bad about trying to pound a round peg into a square hole when it came to playcalling.  Sark took what they gave us today.  Pounding the rock with Bijan was working, so he kept going to that.  Good stuff.

Got damn it would be glorious to go 3-0 vs Tech, TCU, and Baylor 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mwaadeeb said:

So you're saying after giving up 99 yards on a drive and having a 3rd and six in our own territory after getting stuffed four plays in a row, is no cause for worry, as a fan? Are you high?

We got stuffed two plays in a row we had to get down to the two yard line first. I thought it was pretty good, at least by Big 12 defense standards, that we made TCU eat up lots of clock on that drive and put ourselves in a position to win by running out a few minutes. That's not the worst thing to happen, but I was under no delusion we had the steel curtain reborn out there, we just got torched by Tech last week.

As for 3rd and 6 I don't get that at all. That is a totally normal and make able down and distance. I am sure even Alabama gets into a 3rd and 6 from time to time. If we had gotten ourselves in 3rd and 26 through bumbling and penalties yeah I would be hand wringing.

But I think after a decade the things we have to worry about are well established. I don't see anything new to worry about that I haven't seen before.

We just have to beat the rest of the Big 12. Hopefully we do better against the Okie Murderer's Row we have coming up the next two weeks.

Just now, Valmy77 said:

We got stuffed two plays in a row we had to get down to the two yard line first. I thought it was pretty good, at least by Big 12 defense standards, that we made TCU eat up lots of clock on that drive and put ourselves in a position to win by running out a few minutes. That's not the worst thing to happen, but I was under no delusion we had the steel curtain reborn out there, we just got torched by Tech last week.

As for 3rd and 6 I don't get that at all. That is a totally normal and make able down and distance. I am sure even Alabama gets into a 3rd and 6 from time to time. If we had gotten ourselves in 3rd and 26 through bumbling and penalties yeah I would be hand wringing.

But I think after a decade the things we have to worry about are well established. I don't see anything new to worry about that I haven't seen before.

We just have to beat the rest of the Big 12. Hopefully we do better against the Okie Murderer's Row we have coming up the next two weeks.

I hear you. Thanks for being reasonable. In this case, it wasn't time to time IMO. It was in our own territory with 2:00 on the clock in the 4th quarter only up by 5 points when they just went 99 yards on our ass. Though hopeful and stoked to be ahead, I happened to think it was reasonable to be concerned that we might not get the first down. Didn't realize it would be so controversial, ha. 

5 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Yep. It's the only game I've ever watched where it wasn't even questionable if a fix was on.

The number of national media outlets that reported on it afterwards was pretty surprising, actually. They tend to leave your standard poorly called game alone.

Spencer fucking Tillman called the refs out on that game.  He wasn't subtle at all.

2 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Only beef was late In game sweep handoff to X man. He’s too light to power over a defender. We needed Jwhitt in on that play.  He likely bulls his way in. Could be wrong but I think the next play was the false start. 

He literally trucked a defender, dipshit. Ref spotted him a yard shorter. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Evans is really good. I have no doubt we won the real lottery prize in landing Bijan however. 
I agree that Evans balls out but when he is on the sidelines that helps no one as we saw the last 3 previous years. Turtle kept talent on the sideline for whatever reason and pretty thankful Bijan stuck it out to reap all his rewards. It is absolutely maddening as a football fan to sometimes think you know better than the ol ball coach but the lack of using talent and putting that talent in a position to succeed could never have been justified by Turtle. And to see TCU do the same, thankfully, is a head scratcher. But Evans' recruiting made him seem to be a basket case so who really knows what's going on in his mind or in the locker room or RBs meetings.
Bijan has shown repeatedly that he is the real deal and it was awesome watching him put the team on his shoulders for the win.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, orangebird said:

Funny to see them bellyaching over the officiating.  They are really whining about the targeting which is classic targeting in the rulebook.  Maybe it wasn't flagrant and he was putting himself more at risk than the receiver, but that is why the rule is there.  If you lead with the crown of the helmet, you can get yourself concussed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Any concerns with bijan getting that much work a week before ou? Do we just leave him in a hyperbaric for the week??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Professors need to let him skate on classes..spend all week in the hot tub, massage table and hypebaric, cryo, whatever the fuck is the latest thing. Dont need no stinkin practice either.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ousux said:

Professors need to let him skate on classes..spend all week in the hot tub, massage table and hypebaric, cryo, whatever the fuck is the latest thing. Dont need no stinkin practice either.

Agreed, he is gonna blow up the sooners next saturday.

Had a chance to review this game.

When the game ended, I did not feel very good about it, but I came around on second review and I feel fine about it.

If Xavier doesn’t have an all-time bad day, we probably put them away earlier, crazy how he alone changed the flow of that game - unlikely to happen again with him. Refs really fucked us, you’re not going to see me complain about refs often because that tends to go both ways but this was bad - Overshown penalty was absurd, props to Dugan for goading the donkey in stripes into calling that one. Defense overall was above the board, not great but they forced fumbles and tackled well. Still not getting enough QB pressure. Casey’s performance much better than stat line suggests, he’s good about feeling pocket pressure and sliding without bailing on play. OLine played good but could’ve been great, TCU’s DLine isn’t great but they got their shit together after that SMU loss and played disciplined, but got beat up. Bijan made them look better than they played, but they’re clearly improving and doing it quickly. Very few glaring errors where as prior weeks it was errors/drive ratio. Bijan is just not of this planet, probably could’ve won the game without him but not had been up with about 3 chances to truly seal the game without his performance. 37 touches no fumbles no dropped passes no bonehead plays. Elite.

All in all, we missed some great chances to put them away and it began to feel like a Herman style collapse, but the fact that we played that bad and won on the road against a team who game plans more for us than anyone in conference play and all that is good, couldn’t tell you the last time we were definitively more physical than TCU but it happened both sides of the ball. On a better day we win that one 45-27. 

Lack of consistent or even common QB pressure makes me nervous in this conference, but PK dialed up some stuff that worked. We were the better team and it showed, we had a lot of self-inflicted wounds. The kind of stuff you learn from.

• Hook 'Em 3