That ain't Shelley, Urban...

SarkAfterDark

6 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Or.... maybe he decided he wanted to give the NFL a shot? The butthurt by our fanbase whenever a coach rebuffs us amuses me. Urban's no dummy, he knows that high profile positions open up every year. This year alone you have USC, LSU, and probably one or two more when its all said and done. If his preference truly was to stay in the  college ranks, he would know that he would be the #1 choice for every job that opened for the next few years. Yet he opted for the NFL.

This. I think the jags sold him on being able to do football without the stress of recruiting and having more family time. I don’t think he wanted another college job.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Why else would Urban turn down this job to go do the dumpster fire shit show in Jacksonville? Because this place wasn't willing to give him enough control.

A few things happened, if you wish to believe the amalgamation of scuttlebutt coming from all over the place, but various types who usually know shit.

1) He came to realize that Texas had literally zero infrastructure regarding doing what it takes to get the elite recruits. He told the brass this much and the donors and no one wanted to hear it. There is a belief now that some of that faction has seen the light.

2) Yeah, he wanted his own AD and control, but it wasn't about having or not having a tv show. He was skeptical that he'd be able to do what he need to do with the way Del Conte had presented himself. 

3) Multiple potential assistants didn't want to leave Ohio State and join him anywhere else. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I do not give a flying fuck about how much side trim the HC at Texas is pulling. I despise Tom Herman and told the board as much starting when the guy was rumored to be the guy, and I still thought "good for him" when the rumors about Kendra Scott surfaced. I think Charlie Strong was the worst coach in Texas history and I don't think he was "a great guy", but when I read up on him being named as the Other Man in a divorce lawsuit between a hot ass Louisville booster and her husband, I thought "fuck yeah, Chuckles, go get it". 

I don't condone adultery, but I don't give a shit that the HC at Texas is pulling wool. Barry Switzer is the fucking devil and I would go out of my way to risk my own life in order to take his if I was driving by and saw him walking next to a cliff. The guy fucked one of his coordinator's wives while they were all at the same hotel in Miami for the Orange Bowl. He's just a human trash heap. He also won fucking titles. Nick Saban feeds off of the blood of young orphans in order to stay young. Jimmy Johnson would fuck your mother and sister and you would still sign with that fucking guy. They won titles and in the end, that's what they're all going to remembered for by the CFB masses and media.

I don't give a shit if a HC at Texas fucks the cheerleading squad, denies The Holocaust and swears allegiance to The Taliban. If the motherfucker is winning titles and running over OU, Arkansas and ATM in the process, I'll be organizing his ticker tape parades. The last 12 years have shown me where the line is actually drawn for me as a fan. Baylor and Penn State are on the other side of that line, but it turns out that Urban Meyer isn't. To each their own though.

This is a great post, but my “5-0 for 5 in her O” comment was meant to be the title of Urban’s 30 for 30 and not a reflection about the attitude of our fanbase.

2 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

This. I think the jags sold him on being able to do football without the stress of recruiting and having more family time. I don’t think he wanted another college job.

Plus knowing that he would be coming on board  with probably the most hyped QB prospect in a while. You can argue whether Trevor Lawrence will be the stud most projected, but if Urban thinks highly of Lawrence, he gets the most important piece of the NFL puzzle.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

A few things happened, if you wish to believe the amalgamation of scuttlebutt coming from all over the place, but various types who usually know shit.

1) He came to realize that Texas had literally zero infrastructure regarding doing what it takes to get the elite recruits. He told the brass this much and the donors and no one wanted to hear it. There is a belief now that some of that faction has seen the light.

2) Yeah, he wanted his own AD and control, but it wasn't about having or not having a tv show. He was skeptical that he'd be able to do what he need to do with the way Del Conte had presented himself. 

3) Multiple potential assistants didn't want to leave Ohio State and join him anywhere else. 

What kind of infrastructure are we talking about on 1)?  Are we talking about "infrastructure" SEC has been using for years, or some kind of legit systems?  If the latter, what are some specific examples?

3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I understand call in radio shows and that everyone does it. Like i said, Sark does one too with Craig Way. So then why a film breakdown show with a jagoff host on top of it? Put the fucking Craig Way radio show on LHN and do away with the film breakdown show.

Why else would Urban turn down this job to go do the dumpster fire shit show in Jacksonville? Because this place wasn't willing to give him enough control.

He teased Texas just to see how much money he could get them to offer.  He was stroking his ego.

He went to Jax just to see if he could win in the NFL.  He was stroking his ego.

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I understand call in radio shows and that everyone does it. Like i said, Sark does one too with Craig Way. So then why a film breakdown show with a jagoff host on top of it? Put the fucking Craig Way radio show on LHN and do away with the film breakdown show.

Because he wanted to return to coaching and he wanted to do it at Texas but then the NFL came calling and he changed his mind.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ha, I replied on Twitter to some of the comments. Of course some of the Twitter SJWs are taking my post very seriously and trending towards outrage. Just a gang of genuine rubes. 

Now Twitter is full of lowlifes. I mean, not like this place here. No, I mean bad. They are up to no good. 🤘

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/19/2021 at 7:39 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Netflix Series: sort of an Odd Couple scenario with Urbs and Coach O each out of work but with tens of millions in the bank sharing a French Quarter condo and slaying ass nightly. Orgeron's a slob and Urbs is a neat-freak. They both have crazy exes. They learn from each other -- Orgeron teaches Urban how to make gumbo, and Urban teaches Orgeron how to fold t-shirts, you know, shit like that. Working title The Coonass & the Buckeye...have your people call mine and we'll do lunch. 

Swamp Guy for the Brown Eye.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Jimbob said:

Herman was just a little better Charlie and it’s insane he was our first choice.  

Only choice. Halfway through year two of Charlie it was not "we need a new coach," it was this moronic jihad for "how soon can we fire Charlie and how this genius Tom Herman?" 

And that St. Bernard level drooling for Herman continued even as red flag after red flag snapped in the breezes, not all of them on the field. He lost to UConn, Navy, and Chad Morris's almighty SMU, after snapping his yap at them. He continually lost battles with a Houston sports media that only wanted to blow him for bringing the wraooarr back to Cougar High, and meanwhile we only focused on him harder and harder, not even entertaining thoughts of hirees that same cycle like Fickell, Rhule, or Brohm or, you know, the field, like maybe taking the fucking bold move of elevating Traylor to HC. Yes, people would have questioned that hire, but also yes, we are FUCKING TEXAS, and we do things how we please here. Or maybe not -- certainly not in that case. We were persuaded to follow in the footsteps of Baylor and aggy and hire a timorous dweeb from UH because he rode a G5 VY and a manchild of a DT whose recruitment was a fluke to a couple of big wins. The groupthink was strong with that one. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Only choice. Halfway through year two of Charlie it was not "we need a new coach," it was this moronic jihad for "how soon can we fire Charlie and how this genius Tom Herman?" 

And that St. Bernard level drooling for Herman continued even as red flag after red flag snapped in the breezes, not all of them on the field. He lost to UConn, Navy, and Chad Morris's almighty SMU, after snapping his yap at them. He continually lost battles with a Houston sports media that only wanted to blow him for bringing the wraooarr back to Cougar High, and meanwhile we only focused on him harder and harder, not even entertaining thoughts of hirees that same cycle like Fickell, Rhule, or Brohm or, you know, the field, like maybe taking the fucking bold move of elevating Traylor to HC. Yes, people would have questioned that hire, but also yes, we are FUCKING TEXAS, and we do things how we please here. Or maybe not -- certainly not in that case. We were persuaded to follow in the footsteps of Baylor and aggy and hire a timorous dweeb from UH because he rode a G5 VY and a manchild of a DT whose recruitment was a fluke to a couple of big wins. The groupthink was strong with that one. 

this jihad was absolutely and 100% the correct decision at the time.  nothing moronic about it.  to refresh the timeline:

year one:   charlie went 6-7 , capping season with a loss @ Arky

year two: charlie got SHUT OUT by iowa state, and closed the season with the worst record (5-7) since 2010, 1997; 

herman finished 13-1  by beating 4 ranked teams in a single season.  charlie had done that 2 times in his entire tenure @ louisville.

there is and was no question that Herman was the hottest coach in america.

year three:  charlie outdid himself and lost again to cal, kansas state, fucking KANSAS, and got whooped by TCU to close another 5-7 year.  the last time texas was that bad was... his previous year

there was absolutely no question he needed to GTFO.  herman wasn't his 13-1 self but his loss to navy was 6 points and memphis 4 points.  6-7 TCU slapped Texas by 22 points and we oculdnt kick charlie out quick enough.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

this jihad was absolutely and 100% the correct decision at the time.  nothing moronic about it.  to refresh the timeline:

year one:   charlie went 6-7 , capping season with a loss @ Arky

year two: charlie got SHUT OUT by iowa state, and closed the season with the worst record (5-7) since 2010, 1997; 

herman finished 13-1  by beating 4 ranked teams in a single season.  charlie had done that 2 times in his entire tenure @ louisville.

there is and was no question that Herman was the hottest coach in america.

year three:  charlie outdid himself and lost again to cal, kansas state, fucking KANSAS, and got whooped by TCU to close another 5-7 year.  the last time texas was that bad was... his previous year

there was absolutely no question he needed to GTFO.  herman wasn't his 13-1 self but his loss to navy was 6 points and memphis 4 points.  6-7 TCU slapped Texas by 22 points and we oculdnt kick charlie out quick enough.

Herman also got blown out by a crappy SMU team his last year in Houston. It was a mistake to hire him.

8 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Herman also got blown out by a crappy SMU team his last year in Houston. It was a mistake to hire him.

and they won their next 3 games, including beating 1-loss #5 Louisville that had been in top 10 since September.  Charlie is 5-6 waiting to be whooped by Patterson.  Herman now sits at 9-2...

...and the week after, they announced Charlie and Herman swapping seats. 

Your magic crystal ball at that time said that was wrong?

8 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

and they won their next 3 games, including beating 1-loss #5 Louisville that had been in top 10 since September.  Charlie is 5-6 waiting to be whooped by Patterson.  Herman now sits at 9-2...

...and the week after, they announced Charlie and Herman swapping seats. 

Your magic crystal ball at that time said that was wrong?

Yes it did. Herman couldn’t even handle the pre game interview with a reporter before the Memphis game when everyone knew he was likely heading for Texas. The reporter asked the obvious question to turtle Tom if he was going to Texas and instead of having some canned prepared bullshit answer like I’m not gonna discuss that, I’m here for the seniors, etc., he glared at him like he had just kicked his dog and then proceeded to lie about it. It was obvious he wasn’t prepared for a job like UT and apparently my crystal ball was right.

Edited by JimmyJames

8 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Yes it did. Herman couldn’t even handle the pre game interview with a reporter before the Memphis game when everyone knew he was likely heading for Texas. The reporter asked the obvious question to turtle Tom if he was going to Texas and instead of having some canned prepared bullshit answer like I’m not gonna discuss that, I’m here for the seniors, etc., he glared at him like he had just kicked his dog and then proceeded to lie about it. It was obvious he wasn’t prepared for a job like UT and apparently my crystal ball was right.

Ah, yes, you were so clairvoyant.

You knew Tom Herman was a bad choice before the Memphis game.  Not because his then-record of 22-3, with a 6-0 record over ranked teams (including FSU, Oklahoma, and Lousiville), was not impressive enough... but because he didn't want to confirm leaving his team while still in the regulator season. 

Where do you think the Dow Jones index will finish this year?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Ah, yes, you were so clairvoyant.

You knew Tom Herman was a bad choice before the Memphis game.  Not because his then-record of 22-3, with a 6-0 record over ranked teams (including FSU, Oklahoma, and Lousiville), was not impressive enough... but because he didn't want to confirm leaving his team while still in the regulator season. 

Where do you think the Dow Jones index will finish this year?

Well that, losing to Memphis and navy, getting blown out by SMU, having only 2 years of head coaching experience, and getting into stupid fights with a compliant Houston sports media were a few of the clues I noticed. 

16 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

LHN isn’t why Urban turned down Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

LHN isn’t why Urban turned down Texas. 

Yeah, If LHN was the sticking point, they would have developed a workaround.  As CTJ stated above, the core members of Urban's team wouldn't leave a very stable situation with comparable money in Columbus immediately after signing arguably the best recruiting class in school history.  

so much revisionist stuff.

Strong was a good hire (good recent success; defensive focus; culture of discipline).  Turned out to be a fucking idiot loser.

Herman was a *great* hire (good recent success; Urban tree; TX connection).  Turned out to be an asshole loser.

Sarkisian was a good hire.  His tombstone is yet to be written. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nunna yo bizness said:

What kind of infrastructure are we talking about on 1)?  Are we talking about "infrastructure" SEC has been using for years, or some kind of legit systems?  If the latter, what are some specific examples?

Infrastructure like what Cincinnati has, obviously.

21 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I do not give a flying fuck about how much side trim the HC at Texas is pulling. I despise Tom Herman and told the board as much starting when the guy was rumored to be the guy, and I still thought "good for him" when the rumors about Kendra Scott surfaced. I think Charlie Strong was the worst coach in Texas history and I don't think he was "a great guy", but when I read up on him being named as the Other Man in a divorce lawsuit between a hot ass Louisville booster and her husband, I thought "fuck yeah, Chuckles, go get it". 

I don't condone adultery, but I don't give a shit that the HC at Texas is pulling wool. Barry Switzer is the fucking devil and I would go out of my way to risk my own life in order to take his if I was driving by and saw him walking next to a cliff. The guy fucked one of his coordinator's wives while they were all at the same hotel in Miami for the Orange Bowl. He's just a human trash heap. He also won fucking titles. Nick Saban feeds off of the blood of young orphans in order to stay young. Jimmy Johnson would fuck your mother and sister and you would still sign with that fucking guy. They won titles and in the end, that's what they're all going to remembered for by the CFB masses and media.

I don't give a shit if a HC at Texas fucks the cheerleading squad, denies The Holocaust and swears allegiance to The Taliban. If the motherfucker is winning titles and running over OU, Arkansas and ATM in the process, I'll be organizing his ticker tape parades. The last 12 years have shown me where the line is actually drawn for me as a fan. Baylor and Penn State are on the other side of that line, but it turns out that Urban Meyer isn't. To each their own though.

What if the HC lets players rape coeds while getting a pair of 11-2 seasons and 1.5 conference titles with BU level resources??

Rape?  Of course not. 

Adultery, swinging, conspiracy theories, anti-vaxx rallies in lieu of halftime shows, marginally-consensual dance-floor buttocks clenching, mild larceny.  Totally fine with all that.  

That young lady was willing to catch a finger(s) for her University's Football Program.  How far are we willing to go?  

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

so much revisionist stuff.

Strong was a good hire (good recent success; defensive focus; culture of discipline).  Turned out to be a fucking idiot loser.

Herman was a *great* hire (good recent success; Urban tree; TX connection).  Turned out to be an asshole loser.

Sarkisian was a good hire.  His tombstone is yet to be written. 

It’s not all revisionist, Saban was on his way here until we fucked around and let Mack do his own thing for the final week of his tenure.  Bama had an extension sitting on his desk while Saban stalled for time out on the recruiting trail.   Saban had reasons for wanting to leave Bama at the time and get a fresh start, and UT had a prior decade of being one of the best programs in the nation, it wasn’t a complete rebuild.  Mack waited him out refusing to step aside until it all came to a head on the real Black Friday.   Saban said fuck it to our spineless admin, went back to shithole Alabama and signed his extension.   Mack came back from killing himself on the recruiting trail, went to the team banquet, and stepped down the next day.  

So then we poked around and dropped down to plan F, we hired a coordinator who won an MNC with the most talented team in the country built by the second best football coach of this era.  He then parlayed that success into a few good years at a G5 program on the back of a QB who was like having a VY cheat code at that level.   He then managed to turn that into the job at UT.   It was hard to get excited about anyone after they way the Saban thing went down and the way we mishandled Mack.  But Charlie got his shot and was in way over his head, and he proceeded to shit himself.

So when we decided to move on from Charlie and zeroed in on a coordinator who won an MNC with the most talented team in the country built by the second best football coach of this era, who parlayed that success into a few good years at a G5 program on the back of a QB who was like having a VY cheat code at that level…..   guess what?   There were some people who have seen this movie before and are yelling at the screen not to open the door to the basement where the psychopath is lurking with a chainsaw.  

Sure, no one knows for certain what will happen until after the fact, but some people have enough foresight to make good educated guesses.  The sun hasn’t set yet today, though I’m pretty certain it will, I know a few aggies and maybe they won’t be weirdos but they almost certainly will aggy all over themselves next time I see them, and I have a few OU relatives and I’m damn sure they still suck. 

Edited by Treefidy
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Rape?  Of course not. 

Adultery, swinging, conspiracy theories, anti-vaxx rallies in lieu of halftime shows, marginally-consensual dance-floor buttocks clenching, mild larceny.  Totally fine with all that.  

That young lady was willing to catch a finger(s) for her University's Football Program.  How far are we willing to go?  

I personally would let Urban get to third base, but that’s where I draw the line.  

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

It’s not all revisionist, Saban was on his way here until we fucked around and let Mack do his own thing for the final week of his tenure.  Bama had an extension sitting on his desk while Saban stalled for time out on the recruiting trail.   Saban had reasons for wanting to leave Bama at the time and get a fresh start, and UT had a prior decade of being one of the best programs in the nation, it wasn’t a complete rebuild.  Mack waited him out refusing to step aside until it all came to a head on the real Black Friday.   Saban said fuck it to our spineless admin, went back to shithole Alabama and signed his extension.   Mack came back from killing himself on the recruiting trail, went to the team banquet, and stepped down the next day.  

So then we poked around and dropped down to plan F, we hired a coordinator who won an MNC with the most talented team in the country built by the second best football coach of this era.  He then parlayed that success into a few good years at a G5 program on the back of a QB who was like having a VY cheat code at that level.   He then managed to turn that into the job at UT.   It was hard to get excited about anyone after they way the Saban thing went down and the way we mishandled Mack.  But Charlie got his shot and was in way over his head, and he proceeded to shit himself.

So when we decided to move on from Charlie and zeroed in on a coordinator who won an MNC with the most talented team in the country built by the second best football coach of this era, who parlayed that success into a few good years at a G5 program on the back of a QB who was like having a VY cheat code at that level…..   guess what?   There were some people who have seen this movie before and are yelling at the screen not to open the door to the basement where the psychopath is lurking with a chainsaw.  

Sure, no one knows for certain what will happen until after the fact, but some people have enough foresight to make good educated guesses.  The sun hasn’t set yet today, though I’m pretty certain it will, I know a few aggies and maybe they won’t be weirdos but they almost certainly will aggy all over themselves next time I see them, and I have a few OU relatives and I’m damn sure they still suck. 

We all agreed Saban, Meyer, and the like were shooting for the moon.  Was it realistic?  maybe within the recesses of 9.95 airplane tracking manservants of BMD gossip circle it was.

But by and large to the fanbase, the candidates were people like Franklin and Harsin and their ilk.  From that lot, we got Strong,who was a defensive guy and disciplinarian both of which addressed the direct criticisms at the end of Mack's tenure.  It was widely considered a GOOD hire (i did not say great).  We the fanbase were excited.  I, too.

The second go around...and the third go around... Saban and Meyer were longshots and they still are.  We proved we were willing to back up the truck, but if we could not got them before, why would we be able to get them now? 

I stand by recalling the consensus that Strong was welcomed as a good hire and Herman was a great hire.  Shame how they both turned out.

Edited by 52-80

I felt better about the Charlie hire than the Herman hire.

When we hired Charlie I was still only a few years removed from the late aughts Mack glory days. Charlie had been a part of Urbana’s Florida staff, was a known discipline guy and had some strong success with Louisville. I figured a good culture shift with some improved recruiting would turn it around quickly. Then he hired coordinators and away we went.

I wasn’t down per se on Herman but by the time we got to him I had seen how shitty it could truly get. And here was a guy who had a similar background with a same if not slightly worse proximate to hire record than Charlie (bad unexpected losses) who also had a lot of dumbass schtick like wearing grilles and kissing players. I knew that shit wasn’t going to play (he brought it anyway with runny eggs and stylized piss charts) and was only cautiously optimistic he could turn it around.

At this point I have come to realize we are just going to have to get lucky. That’s really it. There isn’t some all knowing all seeing factor going in that tells you this is for sure the next Bob Stoops, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban. There just isn’t Some of you guys talking shit about winning with cheat code QBs let me ask you this? Who has won it all without those since VY stride across the goal line. Two guys Urban and Nick (well and Les Miles but yea I think my point is good). That’s fucking it. And even Nick has had three guys lately that are now all NFL starters. Jimbo had Winston, Chizik had Cam, Dabo had Watson and Lawrence Ogre had Burrows.

So Sark. Who the fuck knows. Hope we get lucky.

• Hook 'Em 1