School Shooting in Arlington?

atomheartbevo

18 mass shootings in the 2000’s alone.  Many of them at schools.  I think that’s bad, right?  

not judging because the situation was fluid but marching the kids Past dozens of armed police, past the shattered glass from the gunman, past blood stained floors, for what seemed like a half mile…I think that’s gonna scar the kids more than covid 

Edited by Lobo

CNN reporting shooter has blended into surrounding neighborhood.  Campus sweep is to make sure they find any kids in a deep hide.  Weird to think about how hard it would be to convince a kid hiding in a ceiling or boiler room to come out given how scared they are.  

Edited by Lobo

They keep saying it wasn’t a random act, but a targeted ‘beef.’  

I get him shooting the one person he was fighting with.  But he shot two other students and a teacher, seemingly because they were just there.  Whuh?

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

I get him shooting the one person he was fighting with.  But he shot two other students and a teacher, seemingly because they were just there.  Whuh?

Once you pop off, my guess is he was trying to clear a path for his exit and literally "shoot his way out".  

Where'd he get the gun?

Was this gang affiliated?

Lots to unpack here.

8 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

4 shot, 3 taken to hospital.  1 decided to walk it off?

Knew a guy in high school who caught a stray bullet.  Barely skimmed his arm.  Didn’t even require stitches.  More like a burn than a bullet hole.  He really liked telling people about the time he got shot for years after the fact like he was some kind of gangsta.

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Sounded like it was more a brawl than a one on one fight, so multiple people shot makes sense. Also possible he had one target and the others were hit by strays. 

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We had a school shooting long before they really became a thing ... it was due to a "beef." Fortunately, only two kids hit and no serious injuries (relatively speaking).

I remember some nasty fights in high school, and was involved in a couple myself, but I'm so far removed by years from that kind of violence that even the fight itself is unsettling.  The thought of my kids being around that is unnerving.  Add in guns and it gets difficult to send your kids to school in the morning.  What a fucked up world.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

no idea, but the attacker sure was trying to kill him.  Fucking savage beating and no one  in sight to break it up

And we have been told, in no uncertain terms, that someone beating you is 100% justification for shooting them.  I presume that the same folks will be consistent if that turns out to be the case here.  Right?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What’s he doing with a gun on school property today?

Maybe the kid who whooped his ass before told him today was gonna be even worse so he came packing?  Maybe some social media trail will emerge where the ass-kicker told him today was gonna be a rough day for him (I'm told bullying like that happens a lot in high school nowadays), so the suspect had time to prepare and get a weapon?  For all we know he comes to school every day with a handgun.  Or this morning was the first time he ever saw a gun in his whole life.  From the sounds of the video and some of the hits, it does appear that he possibly knew his way around that particular weapon and it wasn't his first rodeo. ATF is on site to figure out how the fuck he got it.  

I think part of it is even in Tarrant County, no?  I'm sure to the national media, it's a bit confusing so their reporters are also confused.  They've got to talk to Mansfield school police, Tarrant County sheriffs, Grand Prairie Swat, and Arlington APD.  

And we have been told, in no uncertain terms, that someone beating you is 100% justification for shooting them.  I presume that the same folks will be consistent if that turns out to be the case here.  Right?

Your question was rhetorical, but absolutely. It should be an axiom. Someone beating you with bare hands/kicking etc. can inflict severe bodily harm and death. You shouldn’t have to wait until you are near death or nearly unconscious before you can use deadly force in self defense. If that’s not the law it ought to be.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

All I can say about this is I'm damned glad we have no children in school anymore, that and we have a dysfunctional society.

Schools are significantly safer from gun violence today than they were 25-30 years ago.  Your kids were in a lot more danger than kids are today.  And I certainly was in the 90s.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/15/593831564/the-disconnect-between-perceived-danger-in-u-s-schools-and-reality

Second, the overall number of gunshot victims at schools is also down. According to Fox's numbers, back in the 1992-93 school year, about 0.55 students per million were shot and killed; in 2014-15, that rate was closer to 0.15 per million.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Over It Eye Roll GIF

9 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Your question was rhetorical, but absolutely. It should be an axiom. Someone beating you with bare hands/kicking etc. can inflict severe bodily harm and death. You shouldn’t have to wait until you are near death or nearly unconscious before you can use deadly force in self defense. If that’s not the law it ought to be.

It was rhetorical, and I don't argue with your take.  Deadly force is an acceptable response to the threat of death or serious bodily injury.  It's an exception when you START the fight, of course, but generally, you get to use deadly force to defend yourself.  I'm just going to be curious if the usual proponents of that position will remain consistent in these circumstances.

I think part of it is even in Tarrant County, no?  I'm sure to the national media, it's a bit confusing so their reporters are also confused.  They've got to talk to Mansfield school police, Tarrant County sheriffs, Grand Prairie Swat, and Arlington APD.  
Arlington is Tarrant county.

11 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Schools are significantly safer from gun violence today than they were 25-30 years ago.  Your kids were in a lot more danger than kids are today.  And I certainly was in the 90s.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/15/593831564/the-disconnect-between-perceived-danger-in-u-s-schools-and-reality

Not based on the incident rate I'm seeing reported.

My bad, I meant that part of the district also overlaps Ellis county.  Or Dallas COunty?  I dunno.  CNN was interviewing like 9 different law enforcement agencies.  My point is it's a large, overlapping district and isn't just Arlington.  And you could tell that was confusing reporters, or least the bits I saw.  Our districts are setup/drawn way different than they are back East, that much I know.  

It was rhetorical, and I don't argue with your take.  Deadly force is an acceptable response to the threat of death or serious bodily injury.  It's an exception when you START the fight, of course, but generally, you get to use deadly force to defend yourself.  I'm just going to be curious if the usual proponents of that position will remain consistent in these circumstances.
So what if he left and came back with the gun?

BTW I don't think the shooter is the same kid.