School Shooting in Arlington?

atomheartbevo

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

give it 24 hours.  we've got more info now.

Don’t be obtuse. A 3 victim school shooting where no one died, and that stemmed from a fight isn’t going to grab headlines for very long. No matter what race the shooter was. Ever heard of the Aztec High school shooting? White kid killed 2 at his former high school in 2017? It was a national story for maybe a day. Body count just wasn’t enough to keep attention.

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Don’t be obtuse. A 3 victim school shooting where no one died, and that stemmed from a fight isn’t going to grab headlines for very long. No matter what race the shooter was. Ever heard of the Aztec High school shooting? White kid killed 2 at his former high school in 2017? It was a national story for maybe a day. Body count just wasn’t enough to keep attention.

Story needs a missing cute white girl to get any traction now.

Or a Kardashian.

2 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Heard a mom of kid in that school say that they don't have metal detectors even though there have been similar incidents. She kept her kid at home for some reason, like they knew a grievance could turn violent. Are metal detectors expensive?

I'm sure school districts can buy them at such scale that they become relatively affordable.  Gotta be cheaper in the long run than staffing a dozen cops around the campuses each day who are getting time-and-a-half.  My high school had kids get wanded, but only if they had prior arrests or were on some Asst. VP shitlist.  You can't wand 2000 kids every morning and then again after lunch.  I'm sure it has metal detectors now.  Of course with half the backpack containing mobile devices, metallic water bottles, and keyfobs, how the fuck do those things detect guns/knives?  

49 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm sure school districts can buy them at such scale that they become relatively affordable.  Gotta be cheaper in the long run than staffing a dozen cops around the campuses each day who are getting time-and-a-half.  My high school had kids get wanded, but only if they had prior arrests or were on some Asst. VP shitlist.  You can't wand 2000 kids every morning and then again after lunch.  I'm sure it has metal detectors now.  Of course with half the backpack containing mobile devices, metallic water bottles, and keyfobs, how the fuck do those things detect guns/knives?  

Lots of school districts have banned backpacks, or require clear ones. Or at least that’s how it is in SA. Safe to say “I wish I was a kid again” is something the current youth won’t be saying much when they’re old.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, workswithseed said:

"Don't bring your gun into town, son. Leave your gun at home." Seems to be the smarter play, but he didn't heed those words, and if it was during the attack I don't see anything wrong with defending yourself. Obviously that's also my opinion, and like assholes everyone is one. 

Bill?

• Like 1

Texas Penal Code 9.31

https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-9-31.html

The violation of law by the shooter doesn't strip them of self-defense, entirely, but negates a presumption of reasonable belief.  Also odd that aggravated assault is not one of the crimes that a shooter can believe is occurring to invoke the presumption.  But I suppose the line between agg assault and attempted murder is thin.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Lots of school districts have banned backpacks, or require clear ones. Or at least that’s how it is in SA. Safe to say “I wish I was a kid again” is something the current youth won’t be saying much when they’re old.

Good post and it’s a shame.

Fine line between having a school and a prison/airport security these days unfortunately

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

back in my day, carrying a back pack was a good way to get your ass kicked.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

There is no sadder individual than the aggrieved rich white man.

There is the guy who makes up stories to fit the narrative he has made up in his head and there is the guy in the 20 year old Subaru who thinks he is in some sort of hot rod and there is the guy in high tech who thinks he is a teacher and then there is the guy who always feels like white guys are always at fault regardless of the circumstance. Those people are very, very sad too. Do you know any rich white guys? Do you know any aggrieved rich white guys? And do you know any aggrieved rich white guys who are even remotely associated with this school shooting?

image.jpeg.88c9ec12b2c4ed6f274e9f5a72144f07.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

So much stupid. So many different takes on an event (mass shooting) that should be viewed the same way every single time this happens. But they are not viewed the same way and likely will never be based on people’s prejudices.

Saw the same shit with the 6th street shooting. Victims were just collateral damage. Sure tragic just not as tragic as other mass shootings….blah blah blah. Total bullshit.

We see  the same shit with all the shootings. People just adjust their perspective based on the identity/motivation and race of the shooter. Every fucking time. At least some posters here are honest about it. People just can’t wait to throw their personal prejudices at everyone of these. Or make excuses for the shooter based on their identity/race/motivation.

just admit your prejudices and work on trying to change them. Stop it damnit. Lol.

———-

3 counts of aggravated assault for the 18 year old young man. Hope he can learn from this and make something of his life and that none of the wounded are permanently physically damaged. 

Sounds like social media played a role in this as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Helobious said:

The last mass shooting event (I don’t even remember the details, there’s too many to even recall) I remember finding it odd there wasn’t even a thread about it in DT. Didn’t move the needle at all. But this one won’t get legs because the kid is black (and man it’s really tough being a white guy these days).

12 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

So much stupid. So many different takes on an event (mass shooting) that should be viewed the same way every single time this happens. 

I don’t agree at all. Every crime is judged through varying degrees of severity (it’s why there’s 1st-3rd degree felonies, misdemeanors, state jail felonies, manslaughter vs murder, etc), and intent gets factored in as well. Why would shootings be any different? You really think what happened yesterday should be viewed as being exactly as severe or notable as something like Columbine? Also this met almost no definition of a mass shooting. “Only” 2 people were shot. 

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I don’t agree at all. Every crime is judged through varying degrees of severity (it’s why there’s 1st-3rd degree felonies, misdemeanors, state jail felonies, manslaughter vs murder, etc), and intent gets factored in as well. Why would shootings be any different? You really think what happened yesterday should be viewed as being exactly as severe or notable as something like Columbine? Also this met almost no definition of a mass shooting. “Only” 2 people were shot. 

Being bad at shooting (as well as fighting) means he deserves leniency?

53 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Not sure what you’re arguing. Who gets a more severe punishment, someone that tries to kill someone or someone that actually kills someone? A drunk driver that injures someone in a crash or one that kills someone in a crash? Outcomes matter. “Deserve’s got nothing to do with it”

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

We don't know how good or bad he was. He could have only targeted one person and everyone else caught ricochets. 

Targeting one person who is trying to harm you and innocents getting crossfire is different from indiscriminately targeting multiple people just because you are raging.

We don't know which version of shooting this was yet.

56 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

We don't know how good or bad he was. He could have only targeted one person and everyone else caught ricochets. 

Targeting one person who is trying to harm you and innocents getting crossfire is different from indiscriminately targeting multiple people just because you are raging.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure all of us could story tell about that one time they brought a gun to school and shot 3 people?

1 hour ago, Hawndoh said:

The kind where people go shot??

You see, her mat invention would be this mat with different conclusions written on it.  And what you would do is, you would take out your gun and shoot the mat.