Win out in conference play

The Earl of Texas

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

Our defense is so bad I just don’t think it’s possible to run the table. Offense can score to keep us in games but the defense is brutal and will give up a ton to even Baylor 

same old story.  shitty D, will need to outscore, and hope the refs don't fuck us.

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

Our defense is so bad I just don’t think it’s possible to run the table. Offense can score to keep us in games but the defense is brutal and will give up a ton to even Baylor 

There’s a lot of game film out there on how to demolish our defense. Any team that has a strong run game will be licking their chops. Until we prove we can stop the run, we ain’t running shit. Pete K needs to adjust. 

Only game that scares me is Baylor. We have an off week and we could lose a couple of others but @Baylor is the only one that feels like a coin flip right now. 

We crushed Tech. We had a shitty day in FW and still beat TCU. This team has issues but we don't suck. I'd be kind of surprised if we don't play OU again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We're tilting towards Aggie, "We lost to some major rivals, but with some bluebell ice cream and winning out from here on...we'll be the conference championship game." 

Road games at Iowa State, Baylor, and West Virginia.  And an Oklahoma State team here in 6 days that can actually play defense.  Y'all really think we're running the table?  We're not winning he conference, we won't even be in the fucking championship gam.  We've made the fucking title game in our own league ONE fucking time in the last TWELVE years.  

Maybe we don't care that much about hardware.  Second-tier recruiting in the state of Texas isn't going to cut it.  We're not that great a program.

Edited by Lobo

Good to see this thread back for the 18th time in 20 years. We even used it a lot with Mack (going back to Horn Fans days). I'd say we've had about a 30% success rate.

Who doesn't hope we win out? But we're not "destined" to any more than Tom Herman was destined to be a nice guy or Charlie Strong destined to be a coaching genius.

I give it about a 20% chance.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We're tilting towards Aggie, "We lost to some major rivals, but with some bluebell ice cream and winning out from here on...we'll be the conference championship game." 

One of those rivals isn't in conference and would probably be the 2nd best team in the B12. The other rival is clearly the best team in the B12 after we helped them get the right QB in the game and probably won't drop another game in conference. 

The other data points we have are an absolute dismantling of Tech and a nervy but what easily could have been convincing win on the road against a team that has given us nightmares since they joined the conference. 

There is nothing aggy about thinking that this team - despite its flaws - could win out in conference. I think it's most likely we drop another but I also think more likely than not we make it to Arlington. 

There is no team in the Big12 that comes back to beat us like OU did today after our start against them. Zero - zilch - nada. We are much more likely as constructed to come back from a deficit like that than give another game like that up. 

I don't understand how today translates into another guaranteed 2 or 3 losses. 

• Hook 'Em 1

As I mentioned on another thread, ou is better than anyone left on our schedule.  And ou needed help from the refs and some miraculous catches and a boneheaded kickoff return to beat us.  We probably should win out and get a rematch with the cocksuckers.

How we respond next week will tell us a lot.  Show some heart and beat a pretty good Okie State team and I won't sweat those road trips because I really don't think any of those teams are worthy of being ranked.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, ztejas said:

One of those rivals isn't in conference and would probably be the 2nd best team in the B12. The other rival is clearly the best team in the B12 after we helped them get the right QB in the game and probably won't drop another game in conference. 

The other data points we have are an absolute dismantling of Tech and a nervy but what easily could have been convincing win on the road against a team that has given us nightmares since they joined the conference. 

There is nothing aggy about thinking that this team - despite its flaws - could win out in conference. I think it's most likely we drop another but I also think more likely than not we make it to Arlington. 

There is no team in the Big12 that comes back to beat us like OU did today after our start against them. Zero - zilch - nada. We are much more likely as constructed to come back from a deficit like that than give another game like that up. 

I don't understand how today translates into another guaranteed 2 or 3 losses. 

Fair points.  I don't know how else to say this.  This team is good but will lose two more conference games, to finish 8-4 with no involvement in the conference championship game whatsoever.  We will be invited to the Cheez-It Bowl in Orlando.  It's fine.  It's a building block, but it's been 12 years.  We're not an elite program anymore.  We can still have fun though.

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

As I mentioned on another thread, ou is better than anyone left on our schedule.  And ou needed help from the refs and some miraculous catches and a boneheaded kickoff return to beat us.  We probably should win out and get a rematch with the cocksuckers.

How we respond next week will tell us a lot.  Show some heart and beat a pretty good Okie State team and I won't sweat those road trips because I really don't think any of those teams are worthy of being ranked.

next week will absolutely tell us a lot, couldn't agree more

3 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

It'll be interesting to see how we respond next week. Come out with our hair on fire and win by multiple possessions next week, I'll feel good about winning out. Struggle with Okie State and I'll be very concerned about Baylor and Iowa State

I watched the Baylor ground game today just slam through a pretty good West Virginia defense. If their passing attack remains even half as good as it was today they'll be next to impossible to stop, especially with our defense. Playing them in Koresh Memorial Stadium also helps them.

I think that'll be our toughest game from this point out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Well, rapists should scare everyone.

Baylor also has a very elite coach on their staff, Shawn Bell who serves as QB Coach/Offensive Analyst.  As well as helping the offensive personnel hone their mental skills.  So an Analyst-Therapist.  An Analrapist, if you will.  The fist of his kind at Baylor. 

19 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Appreciate it, it was between him and the guy that shot up the Luby's. Waco's finest.

Luby’s was in Killeen where lots of people get shot every year. You could add Twin Peaks for biker gang vs biker gang vs Waco PD shoot out.  Waco PD won that one but the whole county lost after the buffoon of a DA decided due process was optional and got the city and county mired in civil lawsuits.

3 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Luby’s was in Killeen where lots of people get shot every year. You could add Twin Peaks for biker gang vs biker gang vs Waco PD shoot out.  Waco PD won that one but the whole county lost after the buffoon of a DA decided due process was optional and got the city and county mired in civil lawsuits.

Ooh yeah, thanks for the correction. Maybe driving through Waco got him so agitated he shot up luby's in Killeen.

Yeah twin peaks is a good call, maybe that should be the name of their field.

Road games at Iowa State, Baylor, and West Virginia.  And an Oklahoma State team here in 6 days that can actually play defense.  Y'all really think we're running the table?  We're not winning he conference, we won't even be in the fucking championship gam.  We've made the fucking title game in our own league ONE fucking time in the last TWELVE years.  
Maybe we don't care that much about hardware.  Second-tier recruiting in the state of Texas isn't going to cut it.  We're not that great a program.

Tilting? If you put posts from this site and Texags next to one another in a blind test they would be indistinguishable
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, theBlackJuanba said:

Jesus some of y’all motherfuckers must have forgot what Herman’s and Strongs first years were like. 

This is a significantly better team, particularly the OL group, than what either Herman or Strong had in their first year. Perhaps you forgot starting 4 guards and a DL on our OL with only one available scholarship substitute appropriately dubbed “no contact at all”. They had better defensive personnel to work with.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

It'll come down to next week and road games @ ISU and Baylor.

Yup. Helluva lot more likely to go 0 for Oklahoma than run the table. Looks like we’ll need Moore or Washington to try and replicate Whitt on offense, not holding my breath, and we’ll miss Jones at whatever we call DE these days.

Our offense is potent enough to win them all, our OL is just bad enough to keep us from scoring as much as we might need and our defense will keep just about everyone not named KU in the game. Special teams will help win if we can convince our returners that starting a return 7 yards deep isn’t a winning strategy.

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

2 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

The team is more than talented enough to do it. We’re going to have at least two very tough games ahead but I think we will be the better team in each of those games.

Finish 10-2, better than I think most would’ve thought.

Absolutely, we have more demona to exercise than just OU.

Beating TCU. Done.

Beating the rest of conference. Still possible 

Winning a Big 12 Title. Still possible Win Big Bowl Game still possible 

4 minutes ago, pacman said:

Absolutely, we have more demona to exercise than just OU.

Beating TCU. Done.

Beating the rest of conference. Still possible 

Winning a Big 12 Title. Still possible Win Big Bowl Game still possible 

I just don’t see wining the conference this year. Both lines are just way too much of a liability. 9 wins would be a very good first year with this roster. 

• Drool 1

Win "Big Bowl Game"?  I mean, technically Cheez-Its are larger than Cheese-Nips.  But barely.  They're both bigger than Cheddar Goldfish, so there's that.  But c'mon...we throw tens of millions of dollars around, we should be thinking' Cheddar Triscuits.  

Book it-Orlando...29 December.  

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Good to see this thread back for the 18th time in 20 years. We even used it a lot with Mack (going back to Horn Fans days). I'd say we've had about a 30% success rate.

Who doesn't hope we win out? But we're not "destined" to any more than Tom Herman was destined to be a nice guy or Charlie Strong destined to be a coaching genius.

I give it about a 20% chance.

I'd say 10%.  as usual we are underestimating how bad our defense is...I think Sark can scheme around the OL deficiencies.  don't think PK has that ability and its harder to do in general anyway.

So we lost, but we're still an 11:00a FOX kickoff next week with no pre-game show?  I enjoy a morning buzz as much as the next guy, but fucking-A...that'll be what...5 11am kickoffs in a row?  And we'll have to play @BAY, @ISU, & @WVU all at night no doubt in very hostile stadiums with crowds drenched in rape, corn fructose  buzz, moonshine buzz...in that order 

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Ooh yeah, thanks for the correction. Maybe driving through Waco got him so agitated he shot up luby's in Killeen.

Yeah twin peaks is a good call, maybe that should be the name of their field.

Be glad you don’t have to hear news about Killeen daily, because being anywhere near Killeen makes you want to shoot up everywhere in Killeen, apparently.   

3 hours ago, phdhorn said:

I watched the Baylor ground game today just slam through a pretty good West Virginia defense. If their passing attack remains even half as good as it was today they'll be next to impossible to stop, especially with our defense. Playing them in Koresh Memorial Stadium also helps them.

I think that'll be our toughest game from this point out.

Maybe Baylor beats OU by the same metric, as much as OUsux has struggled through their slate thus far, with LB depth somehow worse than ours.

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Only game that scares me is Baylor. We have an off week and we could lose a couple of others but @Baylor is the only one that feels like a coin flip right now. 

We crushed Tech. We had a shitty day in FW and still beat TCU. This team has issues but we don't suck. I'd be kind of surprised if we don't play OU again. 

^ This.  I still think this is the path.  OU made the right decision (for them at least) to take out Spencer.  Otherwise we win, and they have 4 turnovers not counting any ref crap.  Right after our 1st TD I told my wife Rattler was good for 2-4 turnovers, and there would be 35 points in the 1st quarter alone.  Had no idea 28 of them would be for us.  Sad part is I also told her after Rattler was pulled for the freshman that if he came back in he would make even more mistakes trying too hard to keep his job.  He did not take that benching well at all.

Plus, we had the misfortune of having to face the freshman first.  First *real* game action so no college film, and didn't play HS last year due to covid stuff so no real recent film on him at all.  If we win out and face OU again we won't be facing an unknown.