Texas BBQ

Washpark

27 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Damn. Far too young. My wife's close group of friends lost two guys at 49 three or four years ago, both to heart attack. One was definitely self-inflicted. Needless to say, I was a little skittish after hitting 49 -- I was almost looking forward to turning 50 to get past that dreaded '49.'

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I wish more places had chicken halves on the menu  

Agreed.  I love smoked chicken.  Smoked poultry is considerably better than roasted poultry in my opinion.

Last week I stopped by Brotherton's and took home a pound of pork ribs and a pound of jerk chicken thighs.  Chicken was outstanding.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Agreed.  I love smoked chicken.  Smoked poultry is considerably better than roasted poultry in my opinion.

Last week I stopped by Brotherton's and took home a pound of pork ribs and a pound of jerk chicken thighs.  Chicken was outstanding.

i think there is going to be more half chickens or quarters out there with the price. i know of at least 2 places (1 on top 50 list) who is trying to offer something more cost effective in chicken halves or quarters.

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s worth a read. I didn’t know him that well but any time his name came up, I was always talking about how much a nice/solid guy he was, deserving the success he was achieving.

The tributes do a great job of showing how much he meant to people.

He had been on a serious health kick over the last several years and was in really good shape, which is the real motherfucker to all of this.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Life sucks, then you die. Try to eat bbq on the way out.

Edit: not meant as a dig at Mr brotherton so much as to comment on scottsin and to celebrate whatcha got, especially if that means eatin the good stuff.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

That’s crazy. Thats Ritz Carlton prices. For fucking beans and tater salad.

Yeah, the price of sides pisses me off more than the price of meat.  I made 6 pints of charro beans the other day for $5.  They kicked ass.  One pint at Rudy's costs more than that, and I guarantee they can make 'em cheaper than I can.  Plus, mine taste better.

Still love their turkey, though.

On 1/18/2024 at 8:47 AM, Jerry Callo said:

You know, on the one hand, reading all of those tributes pisses me off.  We need people like JB -- a LOT of people like JB -- out there putting all of that goodness, decency, and selflessness out there, and goddammit, we just lost one of the good ones.  But it also gives me some hope, because people recognized what he brought to the table and appreciated it.  He set a hell of an example.  Sure, all of these folks are "competitors," but they're also all in this together.  Damned good example to follow, for all of us.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

On 12/15/2023 at 10:07 AM, Storm the Field said:

Terry Black's first outpost in Houston may finally be getting underway.

Internet sleuths sussed out years ago that LLC's connected with Terry Black and his sons were buying up several adjacent properties in the Heights. Eventually they acquired a large chunk of the block fronting Shepherd between 13th and 14th. Over the last few weeks, numerous demolition permits have been issued and all those buildings should start coming down over the next few months.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/48391-1311-1331-n-shepherd-dr/

Demolition underway. Noticed on my drive home earlier this week that the old used car lot and nearby metal buildings have all been leveled. Guess we'll find out soon if they are in fact planning to build a Terry Black's BBQ on that site.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That seems surprising.  Aaron Franklin, etc. never even got a nomination for "best chef"?  Seems like a kick in the pants of BBQ.  It's a pretty important food group.

I remember eating many lunches at his trailer and half the crowd being shaggybevo posters. His bbq was pure perfection 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I remember eating many lunches at his trailer and half the crowd being shaggybevo posters. His bbq was pure perfection 

Franklin won the James Beard Award for Best Chef (Southwest) 2015.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 8:49 AM, NoName said:

i think there is going to be more half chickens or quarters out there with the price. i know of at least 2 places (1 on top 50 list) who is trying to offer something more cost effective in chicken halves or quarters.

I think it was discussed further up the thread but Helberg in Waco that just had a fire serves a killer smoked chicken. Best I've ever had. I think they flash-fry it after it comes out of the pit to crisp it up really nice. It's terrific.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Makes sense.  Is Daniel Vaughan wrong or is this the national award?

There must be some difference because Vaughn knows about Aaron's Beard win. Also, Rodney Scott won a James Beard Award shortly after Aaron.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mittens said:

Burnt Bean was part of our BBQ run in 2023 and made it worth the drive to Seguin.  Congrats to these two outstanding chefs and their wonderful restaurant.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Outstanding Chef is a nationwide award as opposed to the Regional Best Chef awards.

Correct.  JimmyJazz's question above mentioned "best chef" with regard to Franklin.  To be honest, I've never paid enough attention to the JB Awards to know that there was a different category until wading through it just now.  Good for David!

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

yo…Waco has another one.   worth the trip.  

https://www.instagram.com/victoriansbarbecue?igsh=NmhtNjMzdHZvZ3A1

dude, it may be great but that shit is 25 min east of Waco in a town of <2,000 people.

also, their brisket has some DARK bark and next time i'm anywhere near Mart, I will be stopping there.

14 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

That barbecue looks great.  There might be a Saturday morning barbecue road trip coming up.

2 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

yo…Waco has another one.   worth the trip.  

https://www.instagram.com/victoriansbarbecue?igsh=NmhtNjMzdHZvZ3A1

22 minutes ago, NoName said:

dude, it may be great but that shit is 25 min east of Waco in a town of <2,000 people.

also, their brisket has some DARK bark and next time i'm anywhere near Mart, I will be stopping there.

I had this bbq 7 years ago in my neighborhood in Houston. He was supposed to open a brick and mortar in EaDo. His cue was better than Willows or Pit Room. 

Edited by GreenspointTexas
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DallasSooner said:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/sunbird-barbecue-finds-permanent-home-longview/

Gotta support my boys; they been through hell and back so I hope success comes there way after all the grinding they been doing. 

Bryan is a good dude. i wish nothing but the best for them in the B&M and will 100% be going next time i am in ETX. glad they didn't close through the lean times in white oak.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Deej said:

yeah, like 25 minutes is so out of the way. About five more minutes than it takes to get from the Domain to downtown on MoPac. You've already driven to fucking Waco, what's the big deal? 

What’s the big deal?

You’re in Waco, and that’s the problem.