Most devastating loss handed OUT by Texas?

ztejas

Probably not gonna hand many out this year - but I saw this thread elsewhere and it got me thinking. 

There are a lot to consider - I just went over some fairly recent ones off the top of my head.

Obviously the last aggy game is on a short list - although with us returning to play it will fade a bit. 

My best guess without digging much was 1996 Nebraska B12CG. Entirely possible a completely average Texas team denied them a three-peat that day.

I think that one has to sting more for Corn than even something like the USC Rose Bowl or 1969 Arky win. There's something about losing to really good teams that doesn't seem to hurt as much. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

70-3 vs CU in the Big XII Championship game 

Yeah but they knew they were never winning that game. That was maybe biggest ass-kicking but it wasn't devastating for CU fans.

3 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Probably when they beat the shit out of  Houston in 1990 and cost them an undefeated season

Good one. Unfortunately we were also handed one of our own that season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I was there in Lincoln for the original herp and derp put on by Squints Gilbert when we were truly truly awful and exiting Nebraska still couldn’t beat us. Their gracious fans were fucking assholes and Texas had them mind fucked hard that day. 

This is a good one too - and I think all of them go back to the 96 game - but they built on each other. 

The one you're referring to was 2010 right after they lost the B12CG to us at the very last second. They were ranked 5th in the county at the time and they thought they finally had a good team again.

There is also of course 1999 Nebraska in which Texas also may have cost them a national title. 

'98 is fun too - #7 Corn loses to unranked UT at home. Although they lost 4 games that year. 

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

My best guess without digging much was 1996 Nebraska B12CG. Entirely possible a completely average Texas team denied them a three-peat that day.

Completely average?  That team was fucking stacked, and if mackovic doesn’t outsmart himself in most games  and just hands the ball to 11 we coulda won something serious.  I bet there were a dozen nfl players on that team.  The 4 starting dbs, Ricky, and priest are 6. Dan Neil. Mike Adams. Wayne mcgarity. Casey Hampton.  10 now that I’ve counted, maybe some more had a cup of coffee in the league. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

The 1983 aggy game was pretty devastating to a certain aggy girl who was bawling her eyes out outside of Kyle Field. Texas scoring 45 points in LESS than 15 minutes is something I have never seen matched at any level of football, not even Madden. 

I should probably know who you're referring to, but I don't. Please enlighten me.

Our last game against aggy.  At their place, goofball QB herps and derps down the field, FG splits the uprights, aggy tears flow, they took their clown show to what they thought was  greener pastures only to continue their mediocrity and bloviate about their self-importance.  

They’re still mad and not a dang thing they can do about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Horn Draoi said:

“Alumnus” is the singular……..

Oh good, grammar police on a football forum. I think you perfectly understood what I meant. I was an EE major so forgive me. Lived my life on RLM side and not the 6 pack. 

Edited by PassiveAggressiveCoach
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

I was there in Lincoln for the original herp and derp put on by Squints Gilbert when we were truly truly awful and exiting Nebraska still couldn’t beat us. Their gracious fans were fucking assholes and Texas had them mind fucked hard that day. 

Was also there. That one was delicious. Their fans were pretty awful. Our team sucked. They were irate after the game. Great send off for the Huskers. 

37 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

Oh good, grammar police on a football forum. I think you perfectly understood what I meant. I was an EE major so forgive me. 

Sorry, no offense meant; it’s always fascinated me that we aspiring graduates were never taught the difference between “alumnus,” “alumna,” and “alumni.”  Maybe I can get the Exes to send out a blast email………Hook ‘Em.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah but they knew they were never winning that game. That was maybe biggest ass-kicking but it wasn't devastating for CU fans.

Good one. Unfortunately we were also handed one of our own that season. 

So I see a pattern here.  Basically you’re topic is here to kick Texas a bit further down…..  Nice…. I look at Texas like one of my kids.  I don’t just celebrate their successes, but love and support their efforts because it’s a part of me.  Some have amazing natural talent, and some find their way to just make it happen.  In the end they are a great thing in my life that will always in the end have my total support..

if you are a fan!  Be a fan!

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Horn Draoi said:

Sorry, no offense meant; it’s always fascinated me that we aspiring graduates were never taught the difference between “alumnus,” “alumna,” and “alumni.”  Maybe I can get the Exes to send out a blast email………Hook ‘Em.

I don't think alumna is really pc anymore

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

Already covered but my top 5, in order

Nebraska, 

Nebraska, 

Nebraska, 

Nebraska, 

Nebraska 

Yup.  I never thought any tears could ever rival the sweetness of aggy tears, but damn it if corn didn't give aggy a run for its money.  Corn really let its petulant and self-righteous ass show after the third loss, literally threw a hissy fit as the losses piled up, took its ball, and ran away to irrelevance.  

The inevitable resumption of the aggy game takes some of the luster off the 2011 win.  Possibly having eternal scoreboard, and at their hallowed tackle box erecter set, chapped aggy more than we will ever know.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

RRS in 1963. OU was top ranked. Wilkinson had built that program, had won multiple MNCs, but hadn’t beat Royal since ‘57. Texas beat the shit out of them, and Wilkinson started talking about retiring. Nobody from Oklahoma tried to talk him out of it. 

Followed by 70-3 over CU. Barnett had won a conference championship in 2001, had just won the B12 N, and they still fired his ass after the game. 

44 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Yup.  I never thought any tears could ever rival the sweetness of aggy tears, but damn it if corn didn't give aggy a run for its money.  Corn really let its petulant and self-righteous ass show after the third loss, literally threw a hissy fit as the losses piled up, took its ball, and ran away to irrelevance.  

Of course the difference is that Nebraska was a legitimate football power when we began repeatedly bitch-slapping them. Husker fans had all seen their team win multiple championships, unlike aggy fans, whose tales of greatness when Hitler patrolled Europe could only be passed down through the generations from mouth to ear. There are still color videos of Nebraska's dominance. There aren't even silent films of aggy football might. 

• Hook 'Em 2