Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

15 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I think we all thought the decision by Yurcich to immediately go after other QBs was a risky gamble. In hindsight, we had more to gain than lose.

This. Milroe was hurt by Yurcich going after Card (edit) Robertson right after he joined the staff and when it happened a 2nd time within just a few months the hurt feelings were too much for him to handle. His decision makes no sense, it's all emotion, but he's a 17 yo so...

Edited by Chopper

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

This. Milroe was hurt by Yurcich going after Card right after he joined the staff and when it happened a 2nd time within just a few months the hurt feelings were too much for him to handle. His decision makes no sense, it's all emotion, but he's a 17 yo so...

By Card I think you mean Robertson

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Only thing that can save this class is getting both Wheaton and Johnson, which would fall in line with the weirdness.

“Save this class?” This class is liable to end with 3 five stars with Bowman, Sanders and potentially one of the RBs. But at least two stars. Satya 2 over here. Fucking Stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 6

16 minutes ago, ChemicalHorn said:

So weird to leave bc he’s afraid to compete with Ewers and because Yurcich wasn’t all in on him only to commit to a school that signed the no. 1 QB the year before and turned him commitment down earlier in the year. 

The Brocks are pretty convincing 

He basically let the world know that he couldn’t beat what was here and he knew a kid a year younger than him was better. He didn’t want to compete. Not exactly the kind of player you want. You want guys that want to compete. Iron sharpens Iron but butter melts and you get all greasy. Best of luck Jalen. Looking forward to whipping you and the Brocks in 22/23. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, golfclap said:

If Jalen Milroe is afraid of competing with Card — he was never going to start for a Herman-led team and its highly unlikely he will be willing to compete enough to play at Bama. He can try to claim it’s about Yurcich but the timing is clear — Ewers got him shook. He simply doesn’t have the competitive sickness of someone like VY. 

Milroe flipped days after Ewers committed. Other things might have also been in play but anyone with a brain knows why he flipped. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

Officially on the Drones is underrated and better than Milroe bandwagon without having seen a second of him. Lesgetit.

*quietly*

The party line is that Milroe is very solid, but Drones is only 16 and therefore on the Moro Ojomo hyperspeed development plan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

If Jalen Milroe is afraid of competing with Card — he was never going to start for a Herman-led team and its highly unlikely he will be willing to compete enough to play at Bama. He can try to claim it’s about Yurcich but the timing is clear — Ewers got him shook. He simply doesn’t have the competitive sickness of someone like VY. 

THIS...

Ewer's + concern that he might not be Yurcich's guy

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I just want some OL.  I wouldn't even take a QB just to take one.  I realize worst case scenario next year would be Card starting, Thompson leaving, with only having JQJ as a backup, but if it ever comes to it, the transfer portal has big time QB's in it every year.

I really like the Charles Wright kid who plays in Austin. Iowa State got a real steal with Wright. 

But they should probably be looking for a QB with positional flexibility. Somebody that can maybe play WR or another position. 

Edited by texasstrong12

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I just want some OL.  I wouldn't even take a QB just to take one.  I realize worst case scenario next year would be Card starting, Thompson leaving, with only having JQJ as a backup, but if it ever comes to it, the transfer portal has big time QB's in it every year.

not the worst case

worse case would be  card winning the job thompson transferring & jqj getting re injured 

rojo would have to move back to qb

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Getting two this year, especially with JaQuinden likely to have extra development time, remediate the need for a 2021 QB imo.  If I couldn’t pull a good one such as Drones, I would not worry about skipping a year.

2 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Getting two this year, especially with JaQuinden likely to have extra development time, remediate the need for a 2021 QB imo.  If I couldn’t pull a good one such as Drones, I would not worry about skipping a year.

Yeah a redshirt in 2020 makes a lot of sense for JQJ

30 minutes ago, texifornia said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3457613

This is truly excellent gif usage. Bravo. 

28 minutes ago, Chopper said:

This. Milroe was hurt by Yurcich going after Card (edit) Robertson right after he joined the staff and when it happened a 2nd time within just a few months the hurt feelings were too much for him to handle. His decision makes no sense, it's all emotion, but he's a 17 yo so...

Stop it with the Yurcich nonsense. Milroe knows Ewers is already much better than him. Full stop. That’s the only reason he flipped. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

This is truly excellent gif usage. Bravo. 

Stop it with the Yurcich nonsense. Milroe knows Ewers is already much better than him. Full stop. That’s the only reason he flipped. 

How do you know? Maybe the Brocks flipped him and he was just waiting for the surprise commitment of Ewers to announce. Could be totally unrelated. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I don’t expect James Brock or Milroe to play any meaningful downs at Bama in their careers. I don’t think they would’ve played here either. 2020 is fucking wild.  

I hope neither transfers out before we go to Tuscaloosa to push their shit in

• Hook 'Em 1

Randomly stayed up late last night watching Hudls of all the qbs we have pulled over the last 2 or 3 years.   I had of course watched Milroe's when he committed but it's been a while.  This time however I kept seeing more Jalen Hurts in his game than before.  Odd timing with the Bama flip coming a day later.

Silver lining though is Card's Hudl looked even more impressive upon the rewatch.  Any guy with that kind of accuracy and 4.07 shuttle isn't going to be beat by a guy like Milroe unless injury strikes or is willing to take red shirt year + solid backup development year.   Although, same story at Bama sooo good luck Jalen

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I don’t expect James Brock or Milroe to play any meaningful downs at Bama in their careers. I don’t think they would’ve played here either. 2020 is fucking wild.  

This isn't even a hot take. 

Milroe isn't going to beat out Bryce Young. Maybe Milroe would start for a year or 2 after Young but you know Alabama is going to keep stacking talented QBs. James will be processed in a year or two. 

Tommy is the only one out of the group that's going to play there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

worse case would be card winning the job thompson transferring & jqj getting re injured 

rojo would have to move back to qb

(but of course, I get flak for saying this an hour prior 🙄)

Anyway, I'm curious who the pied piper is for this class (in group chats, on social media, etc.) now that Milroe is gone. Billy Bowman?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1