Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Yup. The second half of the Alamo Bowl proved that point. He was forced to play players that he ordinarily wouldn’t. Hell his management of Bijan should be enough to get him run the fuck out of town. That combined with his inability to pull Sam if he’s fucking hurt should’ve been enough to get him left in San Antonio. Fuck Tom Herman.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

OK I am going to be devil's advocate here, and predict that not only does Herman survive in 2021, he and the team thrive.  Now I realize this is not the most likely scenario, but since I have actually taken teams from losers to winners and champions my perspective may be different.  Usually it is simply not a steady march of forward trajectory.  It's a mercurial movement to the place you are trying to get your team.  Flashes of what you hope will be, combined with efforts that leave you scratching your head as to what those kids were thinking? And for some reason the top team in the division, league, or region simply does not want to let your team come in and be the top dog.  In other words it's not easy. And it's frustrating as hell to see the kids being so close, and yet not be able to put it together by the narrowest of margins.

Plus I am ROOTING for our kids, team and coach.

Here is how I currently see things from a coaching and recruiting perspective, winning takes care of everything! I remember reading some of the earlier analysis, where somebody said "this was a down year for OU" in justifying their criticism.  Fucking OU just beat the living shit our of the SEC's divisional champion, and 6th ranked team in the country.  I fucking hate OU, but they are a damn fine football team.  We don't exactly suck when taking that same team to multiple overtimes. But the mental mistakes honestly are often the most difficult to eliminate, almost as hard as getting players to play within themselves and TRUST their team mates.  

From my former coach's perspective, we were not that far away.  Now does that mean I would not have taken the big fucking splash that Urban Meyer would have made? Fuck no!!! But I am simply looking at where we are at, and if I were the head coach of the University of Texas my perspective on where the program is at.  I would view the team as being frustratingly close to being damn good. And I would be scratching my head as to how to get my players NOT to make bone headed mistakes. Especially targeting hits that sustain drives and remove talented first stringers.  That one thing would be my number one focus in the spring.  Can I coach a kid to protect a ball at all costs at the goal line?  You think I would need to make Ingram tote a football around campus, to make him hang on? Fuck no, my job is reinforce the basic technique sure, but my real job is healing the kid emotionally and rebuilding his confidence.  Mistakes happen.  Mistakes are how kids learn. Minimizing them is how you win consistently.

Here is the season in a nutshell from the perspective that I am the coach. UTEP as expected. Tech, no domination, I am not happy, but feel lucky to end up with a W, and go home scratching my head. I look back at the loss to TCU as one of those frustrating games where the team doesn't play well, has the opportunity for the win, and a certain win turns into a loss with that singular individual mistake.  The real mistake? Playing from behind, that was the sin that allowed the singular mistakes to take on such significance.  As a coach you look for the bounce back, and OU was a great game where we played pretty darn well at the end, frustratingly poorly in the beginning.  I do blame some of this on play calling, as I would have fed Bijan more and I hate Sam throwing anything more than about 15 yards. 

The season isn't over, but bring out the oxygen tanks. ISU is another game like TCU, but for perhaps a single play the outcome is different. ISU's first scoring drive is a clusterfuck. Two great defensive 1 yard stops that turn into drive sustaining opportunities because of mental errors, defined ISU's first score. That 7 points is only one of two TD's ISU puts up.  Sam's losing yards with a sack on the final play was the final mental mistake of the game... wide left from 58. Season is over.  Kansas State is bounce back with my head scratching about WTF last week.  I end up very pleased with the crushing of Colorado, all the while knowing they are not OU.  I look forward to getting one last chance with the kids I recruited that I thought could get Texas, and damn if I don't see Bijan and Casey as a scarily potent offensive pairing next season.  I like what I saw from the young and hungry on the defensive side of the ball, and I have hope.  I lay awake at night trying to figure out how to get the players to have the mental discipline to eliminate most of the mental errors.  If I can do that...

In other words if I were Herman I would feel pretty fucking good about where I am right now... except of course for the never ending ringing in my ears of who my future replacement might be.  That frustrates me, along with being so close.  Simply because I know that that ringing is also in the ears of recruits, just making it that much harder for me to do my job.  I know that it's my fault, as everything ultimately is my responsibility, but I'm frustrated too.  I just hope I can use this one last chance and get my kids to play to their true potential, and stop making the God Damn boneheaded mistakes! If I can get them to do that?  Everything else will take care of itself, and the same folks cursing me today will be toasting me and saying how, "They always knew we could do it." Just win... just win... Then I will pull in another recruiting class that will even have Surly singing my praises! Praise the Lord!

Flame away...

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Tom Herman is in this situation 100% because of Tom Herman.

Not disagreeing at all. Certainly Charlie Strong would never have been given this long a leash, and Herman inherited a LOT more talent that Strong did.  Still all i am saying is that if I am Herman I like the team I am heading into 2021 with.  It's still all up to me to get the kids over the hump, as ALL responsibility stops with me ultimately.  But if I can reduce the bonehead plays? Just not fuck up as often? the team and in turn myself might look pretty good this time next year.

• Fuck You 2

16 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Not disagreeing at all. Certainly Charlie Strong would never have been given this long a leash, and Herman inherited a LOT more talent that Strong did.  Still all i am saying is that if I am Herman I like the team I am heading into 2021 with.  It's still all up to me to get the kids over the hump, as ALL responsibility stops with me ultimately.  But if I can reduce the bonehead plays? Just not fuck up as often? the team and in turn myself might look pretty good this time next year.

Lack of touches for Bijan in the 2nd qtr of the Alamo Bowl is reason enough to get rid of Mensa... 

RIDICULOUS  😬

43 minutes ago, horn4life said:

What? He got three non-winning seasons. Dude had plenty of leash and had already tied himself around a lamppost by year 2.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

I don't know who you are but using points allowed as a measuring stick is shitty. As is yards allowed.

Go take that kind of analysis literally anywhere else that isn't here.

The change to Ash has been a positive one from an eye test standpoint and from basically every advanced defensive static out there. 

Yeah.  I mean who cares about how many points we give up.  Or how much we score.  Screw wins and losses.  I mean hell, as long as we pass the eye test.

I agree that our defense was better this year than last.  My point being, let's not start sucking our own d!cks yet because we've gone down this road before when everyone was thinking Orlando was the answer, only to find out that he wasn't. 

It’s hard for me to get past the stupid formation Ash put out there against TCU not once but again twice when the game was on the line and their QB runs way better than he throws.  But the defense did improve as the year went on.  Mainly it was front seven.  The db play has to improve no matter who coaches them or we are not going to win anything but a crappy bowl game again next year. 

44 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It’s hard for me to get past the stupid formation Ash put out there against TCU not once but again twice when the game was on the line and their QB runs way better than he throws.  But the defense did improve as the year went on.  Mainly it was front seven.  The db play has to improve no matter who coaches them or we are not going to win anything but a crappy bowl game again next year. 

Yeah this is my reservation with Ash. The secondary still had a lot of issues, but he was also dealing with some malcontents and then a bunch of young guys. If we went we next year with either Ash or Muschamp I’ll be pretty content. 

23 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah this is my reservation with Ash. The secondary still had a lot of issues, but he was also dealing with some malcontents and then a bunch of young guys. If we went we next year with either Ash or Muschamp I’ll be pretty content. 

Weirdly two of the biggest malcontents (on the surface at least) in Mitchell and Overshown are both coming back. Definitely seems like both grew up some this year, except Juwan still head hunting like an idiot and getting tossed every other game. Hopefully some of those malcontents and young guys can turn into leaders under a coach who knows what he’s doing.

39 minutes ago, Had Enough said:
43 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:
hand absolutely has to go.

You didn't like the performance of the oline starting 4 freshmen?

If anything, the OL play on Tuesday begs the question of why Hand ran that dogshit rotation for most of the year rather than playing more talented (albeit younger) players

If anything, the OL play on Tuesday begs the question of why Hand ran that dogshit rotation for most of the year rather than playing more talented (albeit younger) players
I'm just playing devil's advocate and don't know enough about oline skills to say what Hand does or does not teach well. I also realize this recruiting cycle has been poor for the oline.

That said Jones and Angilau have improved. The big question is Majors. When was he ready? With it being 2020 and all, it is reasonable to assume it would be more difficult to make that call as quickly as an ordinary year. The transition for Kerstetter also made more difficult due to covid.

Also, has Bijan made them look better than they otherwise would? Of course he did. The quick passing game versus KSU also helped.

11 hours ago, horn4life said:

OK I am going to be devil's advocate here, and predict that not only does Herman survive in 2021, he and the team thrive.  Now I realize this is not the most likely scenario, but since I have actually taken teams from losers to winners and champions my perspective may be different.  Usually it is simply not a steady march of forward trajectory.  It's a mercurial movement to the place you are trying to get your team.  Flashes of what you hope will be, combined with efforts that leave you scratching your head as to what those kids were thinking? And for some reason the top team in the division, league, or region simply does not want to let your team come in and be the top dog.  In other words it's not easy. And it's frustrating as hell to see the kids being so close, and yet not be able to put it together by the narrowest of margins.

Here is how I currently see things from a coaching and recruiting perspective, winning takes care of everything! I remember reading some of the earlier analysis, where somebody said "this was a down year for OU" in justifying their criticism.  Fucking OU just beat the living shit our of the SEC's divisional champion, and 6th ranked team in the country.  I fucking hate OU, but they are a damn fine football team.  We don't exactly suck when taking that same team to multiple overtimes. But the mental mistakes honestly are often the most difficult to eliminate, almost as hard as getting players to play within themselves and TRUST their team mates.  

From my former coach's perspective, we were not that far away.  Now does that mean I would not have taken the big fucking splash that Urban Meyer would have made? Fuck no!!! But I am simply looking at where we are at, and if I were the head coach of the University of Texas my perspective on where the program is at.  I would view the team as being frustratingly close to being damn good. And I would be scratching my head as to how to get my players NOT to make bone headed mistakes. Especially targeting hits that sustain drives and remove talented first stringers.  That one thing would be my number one focus in the spring.  Can I coach a kid to protect a ball at all costs at the goal line?  You think I would need to make Ingram tote a football around campus, to make him hang on? Fuck no, my job is reinforce the basic technique sure, but my real job is healing the kid emotionally and rebuilding his confidence.  Mistakes happen.  Mistakes are how kids learn. Minimizing them is how you win consistently.

Here is the season in a nutshell from the perspective that I am the coach. UTEP as expected. Tech, no domination, I am not happy, but feel lucky to end up with a W, and go home scratching my head. I look back at the loss to TCU as one of those frustrating games where the team doesn't play well, has the opportunity for the win, and a certain win turns into a loss with that singular individual mistake.  The real mistake? Playing from behind, that was the sin that allowed the singular mistakes to take on such significance.  As a coach you look for the bounce back, and OU was a great game where we played pretty darn well at the end, frustratingly poorly in the beginning.  I do blame some of this on play calling, as I would have fed Bijan more and I hate Sam throwing anything more than about 15 yards. 

The season isn't over, but bring out the oxygen tanks. ISU is another game like TCU, but for perhaps a single play the outcome is different. ISU's first scoring drive is a clusterfuck. Two great defensive 1 yard stops that turn into drive sustaining opportunities because of mental errors, defined ISU's first score. That 7 points is only one of two TD's ISU puts up.  Sam's losing yards with a sack on the final play was the final mental mistake of the game... wide left from 58. Season is over.  Kansas State is bounce back with my head scratching about WTF last week.  I end up very pleased with the crushing of Colorado, all the while knowing they are not OU.  I look forward to getting one last chance with the kids I recruited that I thought could get Texas, and damn if I don't see Bijan and Casey as a scarily potent offensive pairing next season.  I like what I saw from the young and hungry on the defensive side of the ball, and I have hope.  I lay awake at night trying to figure out how to get the players to have the mental discipline to eliminate most of the mental errors.  If I can do that...

In other words if I were Herman I would feel pretty fucking good about where I am right now... except of course for the never ending ringing in my ears of who my future replacement might be.  That frustrates me, along with being so close.  Simply because I know that that ringing is also in the ears of recruits, just making it that much harder for me to do my job.  I know that it's my fault, as everything ultimately is my responsibility, but I'm frustrated too.  I just hope I can use this one last chance and get my kids to play to their true potential, and stop making the God Damn boneheaded mistakes! If I can get them to do that?  Everything else will take care of itself, and the same folks cursing me today will be toasting me and saying how, "They always knew we could do it." Just win... just win... Then I will pull in another recruiting class that will even have Surly singing my praises! Praise the Lord!

Flame away...

I remember my first edible.

• Haha 1

On 1/1/2021 at 9:51 AM, horn4life said:

Flame away...

golf fall GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Tell me about Sark when it comes to recruiting. iirc, he was a plus recruiter at Washington and USC, correct? Or am I dumb af and imagining things. 

He’s known to be a lights out recruiter. He was like .5 points from beating out Bama as the #1 class in 2015 at USC, and I’m sure he’s learned some new tricks during his time at Bama. 

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Keeping BC seems like a no brainer, so I fully expect him to be let go. 

• Haha 1

Flame away...

Thanks for sharing this with us Tom. Now, pack your fucking bags and get out!
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Elliott can fuck off. Recruits aren't stupid, there's no reason to think they were misled by CDC's weak ass statement. If a signee wanted to be released from their NLI then release them, but it's asinine to act like our entire class was maliciously tricked into signing by CDC.

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

Does this get us LJ Johnson, or if Sark brings Banks does it get us Camar Wheaton?

I came here to post this exact same thing about LJ or Wheaton. But I also wonder if he's loyal to Saban and tells him he can't steal recruits this year (Wheaton)

Edited by Spider2YBanana

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

Does this get us LJ Johnson, or if Sark brings Banks does it get us Camar Wheaton?

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I came here to post this exact same thing about LJ or Wheaton. But I also wonder if he's loyal to Saban and tells him he can't steal recruits this year (Wheaton)

Given the state of turnover, Texas would be lucky to get one of them. If Stan Drayton stays, I am guessing Texas gets LJ. If Stan Drayton is gone, I'm afraid Texas gets neither.

• Hook 'Em 1

Meh on Sark.

Guess we’ll see who he can convince to come with.

If Sark brings o line coach as many coaches do is a Covid exception/coach change a way to get out of a letter of intent.  I doubt that Sark would try to poach any Alabama commits or targets for fear of pissing off Saban but hey be your own man big guy.

Brockermyers? Milroe?  I mean how many more years has Saban got in the tank.  May not even be there for this current crop of Texas cruits to hit nfl payday.

Be sad to see a few defensive coaches go Giles (for his development though he needs a recruiter to help), Ash, Hutzler.

valai underwhelming, hagan (maybe he helped on the line?)

offensive coaches all gone.

15 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

How screwed up was the program under Herman when the guy that works on the social media team is the only person our players liked / cared about / felt was important?

He's not on the social media team, he's the recruiting coordinator. Very different role.

• Hook 'Em 9

42 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

How screwed up was the program under Herman when the guy that works on the social media team is the only person our players liked / cared about / felt was important?

Mischaracterization of Carrington's role aside, I don't think this is quite true. Some (most?) of the new assistants were competent enough and knew to treat the players like adults, and they responded appropriately. I've seen a few players advocate for the defensive staff.

• Hook 'Em 2