2021-2022 Texas Winter Weather Thread

Hate

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

RRISD just canceled for the day.  Guess it’s bridges because here in cedar park roads are bone dry.  February can get fucked for my working productivity, multiple closures each year suck

Pflugerville canceled for the day, Austin still on a delay. Leander didn't even delay which is really odd.

mini-update:
Temps will slowly rise to > freezing by 10 in ATX, by noon in most suburbs, by mid-afternoon counties N and W.  Drizzle tapers off by dinner time.  Temps actually continue to rise overnight (thanks to clouds)  - there might be a brief stretch of clearing late afternoon or evening, but that's just the first storm moving out, 2nd one coming in.  That one won't really affect us until Saturday.  Friday should dawn > freezing for most of us, temps don't go there again foreseeable future.  Any precip from Friday on will be rain. Bridges maybe icy here/there early Fri, but very scattered and the exception.  Saturday a more potent storm comes in - with rain and no chance at all of freezing stuff.  

Once we go above freezing today, this winter event is over. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You must live on Mt. ArmyBrat.  I can see the ice and stuff, but that's definitely not the usual for the area.  Although you are kinda north, not totally surprising.

However, this is the reading from nearby your Arctic house, and this was at 8, never mind it's at least 1 degree warmer now:

image.png.ab7ff8811149d0e290ff4a557f60211f.png

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

RRISD just canceled for the day.  Guess it’s bridges because here in cedar park roads are bone dry.  February can get fucked for my working productivity, multiple closures each year suck

Rumor is the road in front of the bus depot is closed so they can't even get the busses out for RRISD.

28 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Rumor is the road in front of the bus depot is closed so they can't even get the busses out for RRISD.

Our street (1 mile) from that bus barn is half icy, so 620/45 is worse because of all the bridges & flyovers in that area.

Edited by Armybrat

How is interstate driving in Texas February not a damn Olympic sport yet?  Way the fuck more interesting than half the shit in Beijing.  Backstories?  You want competitor’s backstories?  I got freakin backstories.  

7 hours ago, South Austin said:

AISD schools resuming after two-hour delay.  Just dropped my kid off at Highland Park Elementary, and the Hancock Bridge was a bit slick, so I'm guessing there are other bridges that might have some icing.

Im the reason they put that fence on the south side of that bridge back in the early 80's. 

Looks like the worst of it will be a brief, light freeze overnight (Fri into Sat), not a big deal.  Then it quickly warms up by later weekend.

We're past the massive freeze-ups, but still in the game for light overnight freezes until the end of the month.

More like a toot.  Sat. dawn to about Sat. noon.  Then for some in suburbs/hill country, Sun. about the same (city should be > freezing).  Then poof.

Friday into Saturday will be cold, but nothing like even the colder blasts this year.  It'll be a "calm cold", that is clearing overnight Sat. and no precip, Sat will be sunny and almost 60°.  About 70° Sun., and off into the 70's all next week.

Frankly, this is nuthin'.

Ain’t scared.  But how long do you think we’ll be below freezing?  Don’t Mind the chill, just wondering if I gotta drag out all the plant/palm coverings one more time.  Shit takes me awhile.  

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Ain’t scared.  But how long do you think we’ll be below freezing?  Don’t Mind the chill, just wondering if I gotta drag out all the plant/palm coverings one more time.  Shit takes me awhile.  

In Austin suburbs within 20 miles (which is most of us in ATX area):
Sat. - about 4 a.m. - 9 a.m. or so
Sun. - (most people won't freeze, but those who do...) about 5 a.m.- 9 a.m.

I've had longer freezes where I didn't bother with pipes, and was fine, but I'm leaving town on Friday a.m. so I'll prep 'em just in case.  Normally I'd probably just leave a faucet dripping and not even bother with wrapping, since Sat and Sun are going to be sunny - the sun will heat things up fast.

Like I said, nuthin' much at all here.

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

More like a toot.  Sat. dawn to about Sat. noon.  Then for some in suburbs/hill country, Sun. about the same (city should be > freezing).  Then poof.

Friday into Saturday will be cold, but nothing like even the colder blasts this year.  It'll be a "calm cold", that is clearing overnight Sat. and no precip, Sat will be sunny and almost 60°.  About 70° Sun., and off into the 70's all next week.

Frankly, this is nuthin'.

Agreed but it is a PITA if you like growing tomato and pepper plants

First full day of spring held nothing back in Central Texas.  Holy shit, what an evening.  Hope y’all and your loved ones are okay.  That got fucking weird in a hurry.