Roadhouse remake. Yep, guess we gotta do this.

Parliament

Movie was pretty bad, and not in a good way.  Also the director complaining about a lack of the theatrical release looks really funny now.  This had straight to video written all over it.  Jake got shredded though, but outside of that he didn't appear to give much of an attempt at acting.

I might be nitpicking but what the hell.

1. What was with all the bodies launching all over the place and still getting up and ready to rock. 
2. The obese bartender character, not sure I understood, what was the point?

3. The bar owner, why have her rolling a softball on her desk, don’t get me wrong she looked totally like an ex-softball player. Was there supposed to be a tie in or a backstory.

4. The love interest- it would have been better and more believable to cast Maggie Gyllenhaal as the GF. Off screen sibling action would have been better than watching what looked like kissing cousins on screen. Totally flat no spark.

5. The main bad guy was such a waste. Were they going for spoiled rich brat, scared trouble maker, was he supposed to be feared? The Prison dad sending the muscle was kind of convenient. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

I might be nitpicking but what the hell.

1. What was with all the bodies launching all over the place and still getting up and ready to rock. 
2. The obese bartender character, not sure I understood, what was the point?

3. The bar owner, why have her rolling a softball on her desk, don’t get me wrong she looked totally like an ex-softball player. Was there supposed to be a tie in or a backstory.

4. The love interest- it would have been better and more believable to cast Maggie Gyllenhaal as the GF. Off screen sibling action would have been better than watching what looked like kissing cousins on screen. Totally flat no spark.

5. The main bad guy was such a waste. Were they going for spoiled rich brat, scared trouble maker, was he supposed to be feared? The Prison dad sending the muscle was kind of convenient. 

The obese bartender clearly represented Liman's abstract expressionistic view that our society has become too dependent on technology.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/26/2024 at 9:01 PM, Baboontyme said:

Guys in the OG Dalton literally ripped a guy's heart out of his chest using only his bare hands. Stop trying to be Roger Ebert. 

I hate to be this guy, but you’re thinking of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Dalton ripped the guys throat out. 

Much more realistic. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently rewatched the original.  Terrible writing.  Every line was a cliche.  Sam Elliot was the only guy holding it together.  Then they killed him.....

Then saw the remake.  Actually enjoyed it for what it was, especially compared to the trashy original.  Only wish they had a similar character as Wade.

• Fuck You 2

On 4/14/2024 at 8:16 PM, freyguy said:

I recently rewatched the original.  Terrible writing.  Every line was a cliche.  Sam Elliot was the only guy holding it together.  Then they killed him.....

Then saw the remake.  Actually enjoyed it for what it was, especially compared to the trashy original.  Only wish they had a similar character as Wade.

Wow

Finally watched it. Went in with my cheese ball meter properly calibrated. It was exactly that. I therefore had to watch every minute of it so that I can complain about it later. Actually didn’t recognize McGregor at first because I’m not a mma/ufc fan. His acting was horrific. Dumb movie but watchable if you have the right mindset going in. 

On 4/14/2024 at 8:16 PM, freyguy said:

You want your throat ripped out? Cause this is how you get your throat ripped out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The fantastic mullets in the original are really what set it apart.  Without those mullets, the remake was never going to be the same.  But they still did a pretty good job of capturing the cheese and making an entertaining action movie.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, utee94 said:

The fantastic mullets in the original are really what set it apart.  Without those mullets, the remake was never going to be the same.  But they still did a pretty good job of capturing the cheese and making an entertaining action movie.

Mullets, jeans, boots, dirt bikes, and monster trucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think it's really difficult to make an intentionally cheesy movie these days that doesn't involve prehistoric monsters, giant robots, or dudes in spandex. 

But I would have like to have seen more of the Road House universe where bouncers...sorry, coolers...are internationally famous, and small town sheriffs will put their hands up and say "I didn't see anything" when the billionaire, white, drug dealing real estate mogul is shot to death by civilians for the good of the town.