don't look up

henrygandorf

On 1/7/2022 at 12:44 PM, Lobo said:

Fun fact---the actor who plays POTUS in that Mr. Show clip...President Guy Whitey Corngood?  Jay Johnston (name IRL).  He was fired from all his current acting gigs, most notably---a prominent voiceover role in "Bob's Burgers" on FOX.  Because he attended and actively participated in the January 6th insurrectional attack on our seat of government.  

If you don't think we're living in a computer simulation...you're out of your fucking mind.  

Yeah he was Jimmy Pesto. Dude went full tard and fucked up his career

14 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Asking for money for the water and snacks was the funniest part of the movie 

over all, this movie was very meh 

Inwas dying because I legit know and have met generals who are some of the cheapest tightwads. Like bro. Your base pay is 13G a month. Relax 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, texashorne said:

I was rooting for the comet, especially when Arianna Grande did her bit. That was brutal. And no character helped you root for the comet more than Bash LOL.. that guy sucked..

Yep those 2 were the personification of self indulged sociopathy.  Yeah he was creepy as fuck, and played it so well.

25 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

This movie was nowhere on the same level of Mars Attacks, that movie was actually funny 

I'd agree, but the way characters were so blown out of proportion to any reality  was what Mars Attacks did, but so much better.  Mars Attacks was playing purely for yucks with no political agenda.  

That's what holds this one back from being so much better, in that they just hit you over the head with it on such a cartoonish level.  I guess this is getting too CR'ish though.  I think it could have been so much better if they played it just a bit straighter. 

Disagree. That's what they were going for as far as message. The message being that climate change is so obvious it's hitting us over the head but so many want to do nothing and those in charge are beholden to Big Oil for monetary reasons and it's going to doom us all. 

Whether you agree with it or not that's the point of the movie and being blunt was an intentional device. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's what holds this one back from being so much better, in that they just hit you over the head with it on such a cartoonish level.  I guess this is getting too CR'ish though.  I think it could have been so much better if they played it just a bit straighter. 

They had to hit you over the head to get the point across. And apparently the whole thing wasn't cartoonish enough because there are still people who think the movie was making fun of Democrats. Fucking hell.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Pos rep for the well used flaccid remark.  

And that BASH CEO character Peter Isherwell was creepy as fuck, but well played for it's creepiness.  He was also great in The Bridge of Spies with Tommy Hanks.  He has a great, low key screen presence like Christoph Waltz.

He was the father on the small boat in Dunkirk too.  Dude has some range.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

They had to hit you over the head to get the point across. And apparently the whole thing wasn't cartoonish enough because there are still people who think the movie was making fun of Democrats. Fucking hell.

Nah they didn't.  You're gonna go over peoples heads regardless of how much you dumb it down, so why go to the lowest common denominator in the first place ?  I think that holds true for most things in life that require creativity, and thought. 

27 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Disagree. That's what they were going for as far as message. The message being that climate change is so obvious it's hitting us over the head but so many want to do nothing and those in charge are beholden to Big Oil for monetary reasons and it's going to doom us all. 

Whether you agree with it or not that's the point of the movie and being blunt was an intentional device. 

I get the device I question the bluntness of it.

3 hours ago, Hermanator said:

and being blunt was an intentional device. 

It was clunky and heavy-handed, poorly done, and it didn't land.

But there were still some funny bits.  The social media stuff was much more relevant, more interesting, and funnier, than all of the heavyhanded political agenda pushing.

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

Their approach worked if a certain segment of the population feels the way you do. 

It was heavy handed because they wanted to punch you in the face with it. 

Ham handed is ham handed regardless of what segment of the population you're from.  It was good, it could have been better.

50 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Ham handed is ham handed regardless of what segment of the population you're from.  It was good, it could have been better.

Yup.  There were good bits.  But clunky is clunky and unimpressive.  Could have been a lot better.

Edited by utee94

8 hours ago, Covri said:

I just assumed it was sabotage that caused the rocket to blow up at launch, since Bash derailed the first attempt too to chase the money. Can’t have other nations knock it off course/blow it up when we want to mine it.

I thought the same.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yup.  There were good bits.  But clunky is clunky and unimpressive.  Could have been a lot better.

The Big Lebowski Film GIF by The Good Films

So there’s a ham-handed 

there’s a ham-fisted (south Austin’s mom on Yom Kippur)

And there’s heavy handed.  

how come there’s no heavy fisted?   

Edited by Lobo

20 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

it's worse than that.   i have made a point of subtly making small talk with anyone born after 1995ish.  now, of course, most are service industry, but i have yet to have a single one voice an understanding of the film that is anywhere close to _________________________________  (CR interpretation redacted to avoid wrath of ________________ )

20 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Nah they didn't.  You're gonna go over peoples heads regardless of how much you dumb it down, so why go to the lowest common denominator in the first place ?  I think that holds true for most things in life that require creativity, and thought. 

they didn't dumb it down at all, and that's the reason for the fear and loathing that results from my prior post

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

they didn't dumb it down at all, and that's the reason for the fear and loathing that results from my prior post

Fear and Loathing was an over the top, Vegas, drug fueled, party romp, and it was much stronger than this in it's absurdity.  I think it's a good movie, but wish it was sharper instead of a baseball bat to the brain pan one too many times.

On 1/8/2022 at 2:36 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'd agree, but the way characters were so blown out of proportion to any reality  was what Mars Attacks did, but so much better.  Mars Attacks was playing purely for yucks with no political agenda.  

Interesting perspective.  In your first sentence, you appear to imply that this one was more reality based, but your last sentence complains about wanting them to "play it straighter".

So it sounds like you are saying that yes, this one is realistic in it's capturing the wave of outspoken narcissism and  proactive denial of reality we are currently experiencing but that you wish it had been nicer to those practicing the narcissism and denial?

Solid flick, nice waste of time.

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i continue to be in absolute disbelief that there isn't a *clear*, absolutely unified consensus on which side of the political aisle this movie went after. how much more on the nose do y'all need it to be? 

What's the first, last, and only rule of an Eclipse?  Don't Look Up.

They couldn't have been more heavy-handed with this fucking movie if they named it "How Stupid can America Get?"  

On 1/8/2022 at 3:19 PM, Macanudo said:

He was the father on the small boat in Dunkirk too.  Dude has some range.

Are you talking about academy award winner Mark Rylance? 

I thought there were good parts but the movie seemed disjointed and it's message muddled. I dunno if they cut stuff out edited shit weirdly but about half way thru the narrative just gets jumbled and off target

Edited by Michael Knight

On 1/15/2022 at 11:09 AM, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Interesting perspective.  In your first sentence, you appear to imply that this one was more reality based, but your last sentence complains about wanting them to "play it straighter".

So it sounds like you are saying that yes, this one is realistic in it's capturing the wave of outspoken narcissism and  proactive denial of reality we are currently experiencing but that you wish it had been nicer to those practicing the narcissism and denial?

Solid flick, nice waste of time.

The best comedy is played straight.  Jonah Hills character, and some of his scenes like chucking water bottles, and bags of pretzels in a room, and telling Jennifer L. they'll lay down some paper so she can piss was about as ham handed, and stupid as it gets.    One of his best scenes is sitting in the situation room waiting for mama to come back.. She's coming back.. she's coming back.  That was funny as shit.

No not at all. You aren't changing the world with this movie so don't dumb it down to the lowest common denominator of cartoon characters. Sarcasm is much better, funnier, and more biting than blunt force trauma with a bat. 

On 1/9/2022 at 10:55 AM, Lobo said:

So there’s a ham-handed 

there’s a ham-fisted (south Austin’s mom on Yom Kippur)

And there’s heavy handed.  

how come there’s no heavy fisted?   

There's that word again, "heavy".  Why are things so heavy in the future?  Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The best comedy is played straight.  Jonah Hills character, and some of his scenes like chucking water bottles, and bags of pretzels in a room, and telling Jennifer L. they'll lay down some paper so she can piss was about as ham handed, and stupid as it gets.    One of his best scenes is sitting in the situation room waiting for mama to come back.. She's coming back.. she's coming back.  That was funny as shit.

No not at all. You aren't changing the world with this movie so don't dumb it down to the lowest common denominator of cartoon characters. Sarcasm is much better, funnier, and more biting than blunt force trauma with a bat. 

I actually didn't think much of the movie was "funny as shit".  I think the idea that "the best comedy is played" straight is just something that sounds good to you but I'm not sure it's true.  In addition, after saying straight comedy is best, you talk about the benefits of sarcasm -- I'm not sure sarcasm is a particular element of "straight comedy", however you want to define it.

Finally, I'm not arguing that this movie is changing the world.  I'm kind of arguing simply that you're finding an overly complicated way to say the movie is not all that.  That's totally fine.  To me it was just on the good side of a worthless waste of time and a worthwhile waste of time.  

This is a wiki article, but it would probably characterize this as Black Comedy.  I would probably but say "In the Loop" is a perfect political "Black Comedy" or satire - but this article calls it a farce.  Would you say you would have liked the tone to be more like that, and if so, maybe what you are looking for is just a better quality farce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedy_film

1 minute ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

I actually didn't think much of the movie was "funny as shit".  I think the idea that "the best comedy is played" straight is just something that sounds good to you but I'm not sure it's true.  In addition, after saying straight comedy is best, you talk about the benefits of sarcasm -- I'm not sure sarcasm is a particular element of "straight comedy", however you want to define it.

Finally, I'm not arguing that this movie is changing the world.  I'm kind of arguing simply that you're finding an overly complicated way to say the movie is not all that.  That's totally fine.  To me it was just on the good side of a worthless waste of time and a worthwhile waste of time.  

This is a wiki article, but it would probably characterize this as Black Comedy.  I would probably but say "In the Loop" is a perfect political "Black Comedy" or satire - but this article calls it a farce.  Would you say you would have liked the tone to be more like that, and if so, maybe what you are looking for is just a better quality farce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedy_film

Sarcasm, and playing it straight can work together very well  (I don't mean serious/drama straight). The Jonah Hill snack scene scene I mentioned in my last post was a prime example, of just a really weak, dumb, shallow bit.  A kernel of truth always makes a satire work better

Yeah there were some very funny bits. If it was meant to be serious it fell flat on its face then.  It does fall into the black comedy genre as well as satire.  Look I liked it, I'd have liked a less cartoonish character storyline. Is it going to age well ?  

57 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Sarcasm, and playing it straight can work together very well  (I don't mean serious/drama straight). The Jonah Hill snack scene scene I mentioned in my last post was a prime example, of just a really weak, dumb, shallow bit.  A kernel of truth always makes a satire work better

Yeah there were some very funny bits. If it was meant to be serious it fell flat on its face then.  It does fall into the black comedy genre as well as satire.  Look I liked it, I'd have liked a less cartoonish character storyline. Is it going to age well ?  

They could have used comedic actors as well. Funny people make funny shit. These actors aren’t naturally funny and it showed. Some jokes you fell asleep before they got to the punchline, the timing throughout is average. Shocked to see the director have some great comedies to his name but he didn’t write those it seems. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

They could have used comedic actors as well. Funny people make funny shit. These actors aren’t naturally funny and it showed. Some jokes you fell asleep before they got to the punchline, the timing throughout is average. Shocked to see the director have some great comedies to his name but he didn’t write those it seems. 

It's hard for it to be funny when it's so on the nose, imo. Granted it was written before COVID, but fucks sake 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It's hard for it to be funny when it's so on the nose, imo. Granted it was written before COVID, but fucks sake 

Are there a bunch of great 2.5 hr comedies I’m not thinking of?

It’s a funny movie just not a great comedy. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

57 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Strangelove is dealing with a deadly serious problem Issue and it was on the nose, and funny as shit .  Cold War arms race funny ? Fugetaboutit…

IMO, the comedy and humor of Strangelove was to open up the ultra-secretive ultra-elite few who would decide if we bombed each other into oblivion or not, and then to ramp it up to 11. These were people who were never publicly absurd or outrageous. They were (outwardly) serious people who with the veil lifted, were nuttier than squirrel shit.

In Don't Look Up, which I did enjoy but wouldn't call a comedy, it was taking what we see and live in every day and to take it up to 11. Except over the last few years, every thing that we thought was an 11 was actually more like a 7 or 8. Which is why I said it was a little on the nose sometimes.

But agree to disagree, I guess. Strangelove is a fucking great movie, and not even in the same solar system as DLU. Prolly won't watch DLU again, and may watch Strangelove tonight or tomorrow since you got me thinking about it, cheers

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Captainant said:

IMO, the comedy and humor of Strangelove was to open up the ultra-secretive ultra-elite few who would decide if we bombed each other into oblivion or not, and then to ramp it up to 11. These were people who were never publicly absurd or outrageous. They were (outwardly) serious people who with the veil lifted, were nuttier than squirrel shit.

In Don't Look Up, which I did enjoy but wouldn't call a comedy, it was taking what we see and live in every day and to take it up to 11. Except over the last few years, every thing that we thought was an 11 was actually more like a 7 or 8. Which is why I said it was a little on the nose sometimes.

But agree to disagree, I guess. Strangelove is a fucking great movie, and not even in the same solar system as DLU. Prolly won't watch DLU again, and may watch Strangelove tonight or tomorrow since you got me thinking about it, cheers

Yeah fair points.  I’d say when you take characters, and scenes to the absurd level they do in don’t look up it better have a comedic angle cause it’s not going to be taken as a serious drama, or serious anything.

black comedy was actually a good take on it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

I recently watched DLU and was underwhelmed.

Mars Attacks played for 100% comedy and Dr. Strangelove played it 100% straight.  This could have been a good movie if it had gone either direction, but it was too busy being condescending to those it mocked to be truly funny (there were funny bits, for sure) and as a result could not be completely straight and as good as Dr. Strangelove.

Hollywood loves to condescend to "flyover country" bumpkins and then pat itself on its back for being so clever.  That's why this got nominated for Best Picture.  If it wins, I'll puke.

It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't all that.

• Hook 'Em 2