don't look up

henrygandorf

On 12/29/2021 at 2:08 PM, Porterhouse said:

I don’t think it was an anti-MAGA crowd movie. It was anti-society. Streep was a liberal president as far as I could tell. Pics of her with Clinton. Rylance was some hybrid of Jobs and Elon (and was as irredeemable as Streep’s and Hill’s characters - all were played fantastically), not some right wing oil executive. It definitely had some MAGA themes with the Don’t Look Up slogan, that played into ongoing anti-vaxxer movements. But I thought the movie was even-handed, and from that perspective was a lot like Idiocracy. I’m right leaning and thought the movie was a hilarious indictment of our American society as a whole, and jabbed equally at both sides. I’m not a fan of our leadership, its predecessors, or anti-vax movements, but still lean that way. If you can’t laugh at yourself and get angry or depressed* over this movie, you’re taking yourself too seriously. 

*It is tragically somewhat true, and otherwise it wouldn’t be a good satire. I mean physically, truly depressed. 

Yeah I mean, that's why they made Total Devastation, it's for everyone ya know? It's a popcorn movie. As a country we need to stop arguing, and virtue signaling, just get along. Right? That's why this pin I'm wearing points both up and down.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Patriot News Network's coverage the night the comet is crashing to earth was too perfect:

"Of course there's only one story everyone's talking about tonight---Topless urgent care centers.."

That was one of the most lol moments for me. It reminded me of the ATN scrawls on Succession, like “Gender Fluid Illegals May Be Entering the Country Twice!”

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The best joke in the whole movie was the Pentagon Liaison ripping off everyone for snack money, which is just so fucking on point in so many ways. 

For my money it was Jonah Hill with the “wait, did you say Michigan State?” Lol scoffing. “No offense but let’s see what Harvard and Stanford say.”

Im sure that Michigan St does have the best PhD programs for astronomy or whatever 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

It does not.  the E.P.---Jeff Waxman (big UM alum), saw the script and they needed to insert some easily recognizable college name in there before Jonah could make the Harvard/Stanford joke.  Ohio State would be too obvious (plus they actually have a respectable Astronomy dept.).  So he gave a note for Michigan State.  Nice dig IMO.  

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

It does not.  the E.P.---Jeff Waxman (big UM alum), saw the script and they needed to insert some easily recognizable college name in there before Jonah could make the Harvard/Stanford joke.  Ohio State would be too obvious (plus they actually have a respectable Astronomy dept.).  So he gave a note for Michigan State.  Nice dig IMO.  

Thanks for the info there; I would have just assumed Mich St was a powerhouse in some obscure program because it seems like there are always stories of middling state schools or land grant universities that swing above their weight in random things (example, I had a buddy send his oldest to Indiana U from The Woodlands HS which seemed random and he said that it has a world class ballet dancing and degree conferring program and places dancers at a better rate and at better troupes than any place not named Juilliard. Go figure.)

Anyways this was a super fun movie and I think everyone of all walks of life and the political spectrum will have fun and laugh as there are plenty of jokes for everyone.

20 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Michigan State is perfect for that joke. Also lets them have fun accents which plays to the jokes about disdaining and patronizing the middle of the country.

If you want to piss an Aggie off, just tell them that their football program is a less successful version of Michigan St.  Same land grant, secondary rival to superior in state school.  More cheating, less glory.  

21 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Michigan State is perfect for that joke. Also lets them have fun accents which plays to the jokes about disdaining and patronizing the middle of the country.

Yeah. MSU is a fine school, but you needed something that’s just respectable enough that everyone recognizes it, but also doesn’t really know anything about it.  A&M is both too obscure and has some oddly strong research programs where you wouldn’t expect it (like Climate Change). 

On 12/31/2021 at 10:11 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

The best joke in the whole movie was the Pentagon Liaison ripping off everyone for snack money, which is just so fucking on point in so many ways. 

Well, and how they had Lawerence keep coming back to it.  When The NASA guy told the follow up story about him farting and looking him in the eye, I totally lost it on my flight.

As an allegory for climate change, I found it a bit hamfisted.  As just a movie/updated Idiocracy film, it was hilarious and the acting performances were all excellent.  I damn near died during the Chris Evans cameo.  

It’s great to see Lawerence back on screen.  She nailed the AYFKM Greek chorus role. 

Edited by Bateshorn

33 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

there are a lot of quality takes i want to comment on, quote, etc. in this thread but i don't think it's possible for me to do so without going CR

can we get a ruling on permissibility of cloaking up this thread?

I’ll start a thread in CR.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

You idiots manage to shred a satire movie into an insufferable argument about which political party it satirizes

Is there an argument about that ?

Having not seen it, but watching the trailer it seems pretty obvious which party is being poked at with a pointy stick.

Funny is funny, so it doesn’t matter which party gets poked. 

Edited by Onboard 2.0

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Is there an argument about that ?having not seen it, but watching the trailer it seems pretty obvious which party is being poked at with a pointy stick.

This.  If you don’t see it, I can’t help you. 

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Is there an argument about that ?having not seen it, but watching the trailer it seems pretty obvious which party is being poked at with a pointy stick.

All the characters and tropes are an amalgam of everything thats popular so it doesnt have to be the exclusive domain of one or another. 
Thats why its funny - it touches on everything and everyone, without being patronizing. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

You idiots manage to shred a satire movie into an insufferable argument about which political party it satirizes

This movie is satirizing bothsides here lol. Jlaw/Just look Up is the shrill left that turns people off with it's messaging of a genuine issue. Streep is the power obsessed and grifty right that doesn't even care enough to try to understand Jlaw, but will use any crisis to their advantage or profit.

It's absolutely a political movie lol, but it's not pulling punches for one side vs another. If you didn't notice, every character is compromised in their values and ultimately gives in to what feels good or is profitable, and everyone is ultimately killed by the same thing at the same time.

It's a great movie, looking forward to rewatching again in the future. I always enjoy revisiting The Big Short

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 1

I think a lot of people will watch it and say “That was a decent movie. How can those other people be like that? I’m glad that movie was in no way was a satirical representation of my beliefs. I definitely would recognize if it were, because of my introspection and examination of my thought process, and my awareness of confirmation bias”

11 minutes ago, Captainant said:

This movie is satirizing bothsides here lol.

Yes. Exactly. Last few pages of trying to claim party points from a comedy movie as pro-maga or anti-maga is some peak 2021 shit. I thought it poked at the entire kludgy bureaucratic political apparatus, inane media complex, pop culture, tech capitalism, and basically people in general. Its entertainment, making fun of everything. Just enjoy it. 

Edited by 52-80
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Yes. Exactly. Last few pages of trying to claim party points from a comedy movie as pro-maga or anti-maga is some peak 2021 shit. Its entertainment. Just enjoy it. 

I think that's why Bates was interested to open up the conversation here lol. When the scientists were trying to explain everything with math and getting eye rolls in reply along with "well MY research says it's FINE" I couldn't help be reminded of the March/April 2020 COVID DT thread lol.

Its unfortunate it's so easy for the conversation to slip into CR, because I do think there's something to talk about there. The movie argues (and I happen to agree) that we process and care about information differently, and that has a self-sorting tendency that further isolates us into echo chambers. Throw in a profit and power-driven billionaire controlling social media trends to goose certain emotions (which is literally what was exposed with the Facebook Papers), and baby you've got societal dysfunction brewing

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 3

39 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I think a lot of people will watch it and say “That was a decent movie. How can those other people be like that? I’m glad that movie was in no way was a satirical representation of my beliefs. I definitely would recognize if it were, because of my introspection and examination of my thought process, and my awareness of confirmation bias”

You left out "pass me a Brawndo. I need electrolytes."

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

At the risk of getting political: Jlaw is not the shrill left, she’s literally saying the world is going to end.  In dead ass terms, and is told: you need to message that better.  The fact that people see that as “the left” is telling in its own right. The political left is largely spared in this movie (and there are plenty of things that could have been done) in lieu of roasting the Media. 

Cinematically, she creates the plot, then serves as the Greek Chorus, serving as a de facto 4th wall break “Is any one else seeing this?  What the fuck is happening here? Am I losing my mind?” She’s supposed to be us, just watching the world fall apart in the most absurd way. Then falling into resignation and acceptance that allows McKay to tie up the plot.

Thank You The Office GIFs | Tenor

I thought I was taking crazy pills reading some of the posts on this thread.

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

This movie is satirizing bothsides here lol. Jlaw/Just look Up is the shrill left that turns people off with it's messaging of a genuine issue. Streep is the power obsessed and grifty right that doesn't even care enough to try to understand Jlaw, but will use any crisis to their advantage or profit.

It's absolutely a political movie lol, but it's not pulling punches for one side vs another. If you didn't notice, every character is compromised in their values and ultimately gives in to what feels good or is profitable, and everyone is ultimately killed by the same thing at the same time.

It's a great movie, looking forward to rewatching again in the future. I always enjoy revisiting The Big Short

It also has a lot of apolitical commentary regarding the social media pop culture society, as far as ignoring the existential crisis in favor of the drama of a relationship between a pop princess and a rapper, only noticing the important thing enough to meme it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Also how career academics and STEM experts are mostly nerdy, antisocial weirdos with a cavalcade of personality disorders that require pharmaceutical therapies…but once they taste the sweet nectar of popularity and being desired (sexually, culturally, financially etc.) and get the taste of being the quarterback of the football team, all the morality is out the door.

42 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

Also how career academics and STEM experts are mostly nerdy, antisocial weirdos with a cavalcade of personality disorders that require pharmaceutical therapies…but once they taste the sweet nectar of popularity and being desired (sexually, culturally, financially etc.) and get the taste of being the quarterback of the football team, all the morality is out the door.

So yer sayin' Dr. Faucci is getting lots on the side ?

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

Jlaw/Just look Up is the shrill left that turns people off with it's messaging of a genuine issue.

If you took her delivery of the message as “shrill” and a “turn-off,” then YOU are part of the crowd being satirized. 

And I don’t mean that politically. I mean that this movie satirizes the American public’s lack of awareness and general sense of entitlement to a pleasant, easy existence. 

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

If you took her delivery of the message as “shrill” and a “turn-off,” then YOU are part of the crowd being satirized. 

And I don’t mean that politically. I mean that this movie satirizes the American public’s lack of awareness and general sense of entitlement to a pleasant, easy existence. 

Please don't interpret me as viewing Jlaw/just look up as the "shrill" message - was trying to frame it in the way I thought the movie was presenting it. I don't think her delivery was a turn-off, but I spent the better part of last year reading posts in DT decrying data-driven analysis and science as mere fear mongering and political gamesmanship. Only to watch the pandemic intensify and worsen into it's third fucking year lol.

I do agree that the basic satire is the American entitlement to comfort and distraction. Shares many themes with Brave New World

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Leo “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore” speech was too much. 

If you want to make a disaster movie about global warming, just do it. I like Adam McKay, but this was too cute.

If you made the movie deliberately about climate change and promoted it as a climate change movie, half of the population would automatically tune out and rule out seeing it without knowing anything else about it.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

If you made the movie deliberately about climate change and promoted it as a climate change movie, half of the population would automatically tune out and rule out seeing it without knowing anything else about it.

Sure, but if you’re going to satirize something go right at it. It’s why Dr. Strangelove worked and this didn’t. And also Kubrick. 

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
21 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I watched it and really enjoyed it. I don't give a shit what RT says.

"RT" isn't saying shit, it's just an aggregate of critic reviews...and they didn't really like it.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dont_look_up_2021/reviews?type=top_critics

image.png.f2212796a2bb29b7e91271c89b9a44ac.png