don't look up

henrygandorf

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

My spouse liked the movie, but his only complaint was that something about the flow/movement (we don't know the technical term for it) seemed or was a little off. We talked about it afterward trying to figure out if that was maybe intentional to add to the disjointed haphazard feeling of being a voyeur to crazy stupid things (ala Bates Horn's reference to the Jennifer Lawrence character being the Greek Chorus) or something else. Overall, we enjoyed it.

I'd like to watch it again and see how it plays the second go round.

I think it was just bad writing or editing. They probably nailed the first half of the film and then realized they needed to get the movie to the end and were scratching their heads. Its why the 2nd half just seems to wander for no reason.

And it has to be the writing/ediitng because a ton of stuff just is out of place. Take the introduction of Elon Zuckzos at that OS release (14.3.2?). Sure it's there to introduce him, but just totally out of place until we see him come in and stop the mission to save Earth. And even that takes another 15 minutes to unfold on screen.

It almost felt like they wrote all of the jokes, and then tried to put the movie around it. The jokes are funny, the parody is solid, it just doesn't flow between them though. And a ton of the filler stuff is just wasted time.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thank you all for the perspective because the way you describe it is the issue we had. Still though, and not to get CR with it, occasionally it was like keeping up with a Friday news dump and sorting out the wheat from the chaff while also laughing and turning to someone, 'what, what, what, what did she just say?'

5 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I think it was just bad writing or editing. They probably nailed the first half of the film and then realized they needed to get the movie to the end and were scratching their heads. Its why the 2nd half just seems to wander for no reason.

And it has to be the writing/ediitng because a ton of stuff just is out of place. Take the introduction of Elon Zuckzos at that OS release (14.3.2?). Sure it's there to introduce him, but just totally out of place until we see him come in and stop the mission to save Earth. And even that takes another 15 minutes to unfold on screen.

It almost felt like they wrote all of the jokes, and then tried to put the movie around it. The jokes are funny, the parody is solid, it just doesn't flow between them though. And a ton of the filler stuff is just wasted time.

2 hours seemed like they wanted to cram in a bunch more jokes that grew stale with time. 

Could really use a half hour hair cut 

7 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Yeah, I’m not sure pacing is McKay’s strong suit.

Dark comedy plus satire is difficult to write.  Blazing Saddles and Dr. Strangelove worked. This movie worked for me. 

Dark comedy never lets the audience off the dark hook.

This is the comedic companion of the ultra dark film Melancholia.  

it’s up there with Idiocracy in my opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

9 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

2 hours seemed like they wanted to cram in a bunch more jokes that grew stale with time. 

Could really use a half hour hair cut 

Yeah exactly. I really liked the movie but it seemed like it was at least 30 minutes too long. 2nd half basically dragged and it was hard to pay attention until the end.

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

Dark comedy plus satire is difficult to write.  Blazing Saddles and Dr. Strangelove worked. This movie worked for me. 

Dark comedy never lets the audience off the dark hook.

This is the comedic companion of the ultra dark film Melancholia.  

it’s up there with Idiocracy in my opinion. 

this also had a little war of the roses in it.  you know everybody gonna die, you're just not quite sure how.

• Hook 'Em 1

If we watched this movie in 1996 it would seem just slightly less outlandish than Idiocracy. Completely unbelievable that massive portions of the population would just not believe a comet was heading for us even as they could literally see it in the sky. 

Oh how far we've fallen

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Hermanator said:

If we watched this movie in 1996 it would seem just slightly less outlandish than Idiocracy. Completely unbelievable that massive portions of the population would just not believe a comet was heading for us even as they could literally see it in the sky. 

Oh how far we've fallen

The one thing we can account for is the advent of technology and social media. I think the movie did a good job of exposing tech/social media as an atrocity and the downfall of society— nay, life.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Oh how far we've fallen

we did, it was called deep impact (1998). news reporting was helpful, president was inspirational, movie ended with the world rebuilding. 

Leonardo Dicaprio Lol GIF

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

we did, it was called deep impact (1998). news reporting was helpful, president was inspirational, movie ended with the world rebuilding. 

Leonardo Dicaprio Lol GIF

Don’t forget about Deep Impact’s “random lottery” to be selected for survival. No CR, but if that movie came out today, everyone would be bitching about the unfairness (racism, sexism, ageism, etc.) without realizing a “lottery” like this is really all about how much money you have and who you know. The outrage over the lottery selection process would overshadow the comet doomsday aspect of the movie. Bottom line is that if you’re not rich and well connected, you’re fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/3/2022 at 9:58 AM, F250 said:

I thought she said "propulsive time of my life." It was during the rocket launch when she whispered it.

Her character was great, a completely horrible person but still wood. What was interesting was the jokes about Ivy League vs Public Universities and this character was the primary example of an Ivy League character. She was multi-lingual, quoted a 14th century French poem that she studied at Dartmouth and I remember thinking "Fucking useless liberal arts majors". 

You could be right.

I thought 'repulsive' fit her character.  As you noted she was over educated, and apparently had experienced most of the finer things in life.  So I thought her pursuit of someone boring and disheveled like Leo's character was her slumming it to chase a different high.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 2:07 PM, Bateshorn said:

What?  It only took him four calendar years and three seasons of ‘Succession’ to get to an annual shareholders meeting/vote.   He’s the political satire equivalent of Judd Apatow.  And I can’t wait to see this movie.  We’re purposely waiting until later this month to relish in the anniversary madness first.  

3 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

You could be right.

I thought 'repulsive' fit her character.  As you noted she was over educated, and apparently had experienced most of the finer things in life.  So I thought her pursuit of someone boring and disheveled like Leo's character was her slumming it to chase a different high.

I think she’s a bit of a mash up of Gretchen Carlson/FoxNews Stepford anchors.  Who are actually super academically accomplished women reduced to blond automatons. 

On 1/3/2022 at 7:06 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

..... and continuing on the orbital mechanics aspect of the plot.....  this was 1000% more "realistic" than the clooney bomb from a year ago with 2 exceptions:

1 - a 10km rock impacting the pacific west of chile (as they stated in the movie) would not create a thermonuclear blast wave that obliterates chicago

2 - nudging the trajectory with nukes could also be used to put the rock in to a heliocentric orbit so it could be mined later

On 1/4/2022 at 12:54 PM, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Seems like they could have followed through with the mission to knock it off course, and then followed up with the mining mission.  I dunno.

I was wondering this same thing the entire time. What would make it not mineable just knocking it off course then blowing it to smaller rocks and then capturing those smaller rocks or exploding them to fall in the earth trajectory. 

Also hilarious that America was the only country able to do anything, Russia would fuck up some comet shit as would China and those fuckers wouldn't give a shit.

I thought it was funny and these are all just things that add to the comedic effect 

Apparently the phone number they used for the FEMA/BASH comet PSA dials a sex chat hotline
My wife and I actually called it figuring it was an Easter egg. It just kept digging down into a medic-alert type device and letting us know we qualified. Just pushing 1 or 2 on the keypad while listening to a robot voice. As it was about to transfer us to the 3rd level we said "fuck it" and hung up so don't know what the final punchline is.

Fun fact---the actor who plays POTUS in that Mr. Show clip...President Guy Whitey Corngood?  Jay Johnston (name IRL).  He was fired from all his current acting gigs, most notably---a prominent voiceover role in "Bob's Burgers" on FOX.  Because he attended and actively participated in the January 6th insurrectional attack on our seat of government.  

If you don't think we're living in a computer simulation...you're out of your fucking mind.  

27 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Fun fact---the actor who plays POTUS in that Mr. Show clip...President Guy Whitey Corngood?  Jay Johnston (name IRL).  He was fired from all his current acting gigs, most notably---a prominent voiceover role in "Bob's Burgers" on FOX.  Because he attended and actively participated in the January 6th insurrectional attack on our seat of government.  

If you don't think we're living in a computer simulation...you're out of your fucking mind.  

yeah I can't believe that that turned out to be real. He was also one of the gay adoptive parent cops in Arrested Development, was in the Sarah Silverman Show, done a fair amount of stuff with that general crew of funny people from the 90s.

26 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

There was a joint Russia-China attempt. Their rocket blew up at takeoff.

And India too. I had a similar thought regarding immamac's comment while watching the movie. The Chinese and Russians would have stepped in a lot sooner in this situation.

I assume the intention was to show that China, Russia and India cannot be relied on to lead the fight against climate change and the Europeans will say things need to be done while sitting on their hands. There was a scene with some European woman saying that the U.N. would do something but we never saw an effort by the Europeans outside of talking about something needing to be done and working through the U.N.

On 1/5/2022 at 9:26 PM, Bateshorn said:

I think she’s a bit of a mash up of Gretchen Carlson/FoxNews Stepford anchors.  Who are actually super academically accomplished women reduced to blond automatons. 

i admit it, i fell for the empty-headed blonde package FOX has mastered.

i mean Gretchen Carlson is a violinist virtuoso, was her hs valedictorian, attended Oxford university and graduated from motherfucking STANFORD with honors 😳

the first time i learned all that and tried to reconcile it with the vapidness on display on F&F...

Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

Watching it now.  Funny, and heavy handed (think Mars Attacks), and takes a huge dispensation of belief of course, characters are cartoonish (think Strangelove). I wish they'd gone a bit more subtle/ironic with the dialog (think Catch 22 maybe).  

Don't look up... just drill baby !!  It's definitely in the vein of Idiocracy in it's silliness.

Anyone not getting who the republicans are, or what, and who is being lampooned is an idiot.   The best scenes are the final hours, and the family around the table IMO.  Think it's a lot of fun on the whole though.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Watching it now.  Funny, and heavy handed (think Mars Attacks), and takes a huge dispensation of belief of course, characters are cartoonish (think Strangelove). I wish they'd gone a bit more subtle/ironic with the dialog (think Catch 22 maybe).  

Don't look up... just drill baby !!  It's definitely in the vein of Idiocracy in it's silliness.

Anyone not getting who the republicans are, or what, and who is being lampooned is an idiot.   The best scenes are the final hours, and the family around the table IMO.  Think it's a lot of fun on the whole though.

Yeah man also to add the bash life scene has me dying i instantly  thinking california and Austin nailed to a T 

Jlaws hair style keeps me flaccid 

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Yeah man also to add the bash life scene has me dying i instantly  thinking california and Austin nailed to a T 

Jlaws hair style keeps me flaccid 

Pos rep for the well used flaccid remark.  

And that BASH CEO character Peter Isherwell was creepy as fuck, but well played for it's creepiness.  He was also great in The Bridge of Spies with Tommy Hanks.  He has a great, low key screen presence like Christoph Waltz.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I thought it poked fun at both sides.. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, F250 said:

And India too. I had a similar thought regarding immamac's comment while watching the movie. The Chinese and Russians would have stepped in a lot sooner in this situation.

I assume the intention was to show that China, Russia and India cannot be relied on to lead the fight against climate change and the Europeans will say things need to be done while sitting on their hands. There was a scene with some European woman saying that the U.N. would do something but we never saw an effort by the Europeans outside of talking about something needing to be done and working through the U.N.

23 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

There was a joint Russia-China attempt. Their rocket blew up at takeoff.

I just assumed it was sabotage that caused the rocket to blow up at launch, since Bash derailed the first attempt too to chase the money. Can’t have other nations knock it off course/blow it up when we want to mine it.