• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

30 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I’d listen to Armybrat.  He knows what he’s doing, he’s pre-med.  in that he literally pre-dates the practice of medicine 

In his case, pre-med stands for pre-Medici 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

When I was going through the ROTC scholarship application process, the recruiter asked me why I wasn't applying to the Academy.  Told him first off, I'm going to Texas.  And second, I wanted the college experience.  Third, I would have plenty of military experience in the near future and didn't need to play the part in school any more than minimally required.

Personally, I saw zero added value in going to the Naval Academy over NROTC.  I was just as well prepared as my Academy counterparts when I got to the fleet.  During my career, I never observed a meaningful difference in quality between junior officers coming from the Academy and those coming from other accession sources - and that includes the ones from aggy.

If Cruz' plan is simply to help funnel folks into the ROTC program if they don't make it into the Academy, that seems reasonable.  If it's just to funnel folks into the corps, well that's just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  

A good friend enrolled in the UT NROTC in 1962 or ‘63. Had a great time in the party scene.
Unfortunately he flunked out and had to go enlisted active duty and wound up on a destroyer in the Gulf of Tonkin during August of 1964.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 4
  • Prepare your anus 1

3 hours ago, 83Horn said:

Ya know???  Where's the embarrassment emoji?  Some days the coffee just doesn't work it's magic.

1 hour ago, Native Horn said:

I like the idea of an embarrassment emoji.  

20 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

giphy.gif

slapshot-you.gif.579a386fa20a050304a9c4c15c3c1846.gif

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

A good friend enrolled in the UT NROTC in 1962 or ‘63. Had a great time in the party scene.
Unfortunately he flunked out and had to go enlisted active duty and wound up on a destroyer in the Gulf of Tonkin during August of 1964.

Cool. He ever meet Jim Morrison?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

narrator: for the kids here...  the gulf of tonkin was one of the Top 5 false flag ops in the 20th century; joe bob says check it out

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

DKR ran a clean program as football coach and would not tolerate boosters giving benefits to players in any sport as athletic director. He despised cheaters.
However, that couldn’t stop the $100 handshakes and envelopes stuffed into lockers during games.

Anecdote: 

My brother was treasurer of the men’s basketball booster club during DKR’s AD tenure. At one point the club officers were discussing raising enough cash to buy a used car for a player who was in dire need of transportation to get to campus for class and practice. 
Somehow Royal caught wind of the “plot” and called them into his office, whereby he read them the riot act that if they proceeded with that sort of unethical activity he would remove them from the club and ban them from the 40 acres. That meant no tickets or attendance to any sporting activities on campus at all.

I can’t vouch for anything that occurred after he retired though.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

DKR ran a clean program as football coach and would not tolerate boosters giving benefits to players in any sport as athletic director. He despised cheaters.
However, that couldn’t stop the $100 handshakes and envelopes stuffed into lockers during games.

Anecdote: 

My brother was treasurer of the men’s basketball booster club during DKR’s AD tenure. At one point the club officers were discussing raising enough cash to buy a used car for a player who was in dire need of transportation to get to campus for class and practice. 
Somehow Royal caught wind of the “plot” and called them into his office, whereby he read them the riot act that if they proceeded with that sort of unethical activity he would remove them from the club and ban them from the 40 acres - no tickets or attendance to any sporting activities at all.

I can’t vouch for anything that occurred after he retired though.

Is that the same Darrell Royal who willingly taught his entire Wishbone offense to the Oklahoma coaching staff, who then used it against him, and then beat him in every game (except for year one), which ultimately spelled his demise? I'm not sure if a worse coaching decision was ever made. 

• Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Is that the same Darrell Royal who willingly taught his entire Wishbone offense to the Oklahoma coaching staff, who then used it against him, and then beat him in every game (except for year one), which ultimately spelled his demise? I'm not sure if a worse coaching decision was ever made. 

image.gif.6e5e572a226da851c2b70291d5b444a4.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Is that the same Darrell Royal who willingly taught his entire Wishbone offense to the Oklahoma coaching staff, who then used it against him, and then beat him in every game (except for year one), which ultimately spelled his demise? I'm not sure if a worse coaching decision was

switzer is a snake the idea that he nobody could learn the Wishbone from seeing it being run by Texas is the most ridiculous bullshit I have ever heard. Seriously the only way could possibly be real if he's incredibly stupid. That story is one of his tall tales it happened but it is extremely embellished

• Hook 'Em 4

On 1/17/2024 at 10:11 PM, Cairn Horn88 said:

Texas reported athletic department revenue of $271 million in 2023, a record for NCAA schools:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/big12/2024/01/17/texas-athletic-department-271-million-revenue/72255138007/

For now, the new total stands as the largest single-year total since the NCAA began its current financial reporting system in 2005. Ohio State reported $251.6 million in 2022. (Oregon reported $391.8 million in 2020, but that included more than $270 million as a contribution for the renovation of its track and field stadium.)

By category, Texas’ largest year-over-year increases were:
-- $11 million in contributions, which rose to nearly $86 million.

-- $10.2 million in money from sponsorships, licensing, royalties and advertising, which totaled $54.7 million.
-- $5.7 million in ticket sales, which moved to $63.3 million

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2024/01/19/texas-am-over-279-million-athletics-revenue-2023/72287203007/

However, Texas A&M is attributing $53.2 million of its $115.4 million in contributions for the year to an unusual level of spending during the year on a series of facilities projects. This is similar to Texas A&M's reporting over years in which it paid for the $485 million redevelopment of its football stadium and other projects across several years, beginning with its 2015 fiscal year.

Also for 2023, Texas A&M reported $12 million in direct institutional support in 2023, the first time since 2014 that it has shown any help for athletics. However, the athletics department's chief financial officer, Jeff Toole, said this was a loan by the university from non-taxpayer funds to assist with another facility project — and it will be repaid by the athletics department.

Edited by Cairn Horn88
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, linux said:

switzer is a snake the idea that he nobody could learn the Wishbone from seeing it being run by Texas is the most ridiculous bullshit I have ever heard. Seriously the only way could possibly be real if he's incredibly stupid. That story is one of his tall tales it happened but it is extremely embellished

Seems like it is pretty well documented with quotes from Emory Ballard 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

Seems like it is pretty well documented with quotes from Emory Ballard 

It did happen the question is is the whole story true. That is just a tall tale for his Okie fan base, making them feel Superior that they got one over Texas. The idea that nobody could ever copy the wishbone without Ballard explaining it is dumb

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

I believe it was Alabama and coach Bryant who he taught it to.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2024/01/19/texas-am-over-279-million-athletics-revenue-2023/72287203007/

However, Texas A&M is attributing $53.2 million of its $115.4 million in contributions for the year to an unusual level of spending during the year on a series of facilities projects. This is similar to Texas A&M's reporting over years in which it paid for the $485 million redevelopment of its football stadium and other projects across several years, beginning with its 2015 fiscal year.

Also for 2023, Texas A&M reported $12 million in direct institutional support in 2023, the first time since 2014 that it has shown any help for athletics. However, the athletics department's chief financial officer, Jeff Toole, said this was a loan by the university from non-taxpayer funds to assist with another facility project — and it will be repaid by the athletics department.

See bold below.  Anyone else surprised that aggy waited until Texas reported before making up a larger number in any way possible, including using loans and donations as a “revenue” source….yet again, in order to over inflate their numbers.  There is no ncaa standards around this, but I would think they do have to get their books audited.  So which former student mom and pop countin’ firm is certifying this?

The Texas A&M athletic department had $279.2 million in operating revenue during its 2023 fiscal year, its new financial report to the NCAA shows.

The document was obtained by USA TODAY Sports through an open-records request in partnership with the Knight-Newhouse Data project at Syracuse University. 

It comes days after the University of Texas’ report showed just over $271 million in operating revenue for 2023.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

It did happen the question is is the whole story true. That is just a tall tale for his Okie fan base, making them feel Superior that they got one over Texas. The idea that nobody could ever copy the wishbone without Ballard explaining it is dumb

Well, I watched “We are Marshall” and they had to be taught by Bobby Bowden.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Sherrill said Saturday that he felt so confident that the school’s athletic program was “in good shape” that he might tell university officials to “limit the extent of our investigation.”

“If all the Times Herald could find is what they confronted me with, then the paper has essentially substantiated what we already know--that our program is in good shape,” Sherrill said.

Thanks for the whole article but particularly the above. The Aggies preserve their delusion about holy Jack Sherrill by claiming he was never found guilty of anything to do with cheating. I don't recall the details, but his actions depicted in the article make it crystal clear that he was right in the middle of it. I had not doubt, but I also had no documentation or details loaded in the ol' brain pan.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Yep, that's the main thing to remember about Royal. Well done, Surly Football Board.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, ABSR said:

See bold below.  Anyone else surprised that aggy waited until Texas reported before making up a larger number in any way possible, including using loans and donations as a “revenue” source….yet again, in order to over inflate their numbers.  There is no ncaa standards around this, but I would think they do have to get their books audited.  So which former student mom and pop countin’ firm is certifying this?

The Texas A&M athletic department had $279.2 million in operating revenue during its 2023 fiscal year, its new financial report to the NCAA shows.

The document was obtained by USA TODAY Sports through an open-records request in partnership with the Knight-Newhouse Data project at Syracuse University. 

It comes days after the University of Texas’ report showed just over $271 million in operating revenue for 2023.

So, aggy sold front door access to their Los Alamos infrastructure computer network for another billion?

• Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Yep, that's the main thing to remember about Royal. Well done, Surly Football Board.

Haha. Just wanted to share it cause if true, it's got to be the strangest coaching decisions of all time and I had never heard it before this year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TreatyOak said:

Haha. Just wanted to share it cause if true, it's got to be the strangest coaching decisions of all time and I had never heard it before this year. 

Coaches share information all the time, or at least they used to. I didn't watch the video above, so maybe there is some notion that the running of a formation in public 11 times a year could be done in such a way that no other person could figure it out seems specious.

The Wishbone, as I recall, was a pretty simple offense that reduced the whole play to man on man contests and discipline as to which man was yours on both sides of the ball.  It was designed to take advantage of Texas' talent advantage.

I would say that OU starting beating us with the Wishbone because they cheated to get more talent. With that being the case, one must go back to judging Royal and Texas' decision not to do the same. I'm glad we did things the way we did.