2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

1 hour ago, Nope said:

Worthy’s was more impressive to me given the horrible form…been trying to find it but the story may have expired 

Both of those are impressive considering they're using the clubs that Top Golf provides.  To say those things lack pop is an understatement.

And to be clear, I'm not one of those weirdos that brings his own clubs to Top Golf

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
typo

On 2/15/2022 at 4:08 PM, Doc Reeves said:

Thank God. This guy knows how to gram and TikTok y’all. For all you olds out there it’s not so easy. Sure, you’re putting out drills or updates to recruits but you’re putting your whole style and personality on display too, but subtly.

This dude doesn’t just speak the language, hes legitimately good at it. We need to be thankful. Seriously, donate an extra bit at collection this Sunday.

I'm younger than him and he's still more hip with teh social media

5 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Choate is a good coach, he might not be a good fit here but the guy didn’t just fall off the pumpkin wagon.

My only hope left with him is that he can teach our lbs on campus to play the position bc he sure as hell isn’t gonna recruit any better ones to come here. 
My long shot, drug-induced hope with him is that making the transition back to position coach was a longer one for him and he’ll get better with time. 

32 minutes ago, Atticus said:

My only hope left with him is that he can teach our lbs on campus to play the position bc he sure as hell isn’t gonna recruit any better ones to come here. 
My long shot, drug-induced hope with him is that making the transition back to position coach was a longer one for him and he’ll get better with time. 

Yeah, we’ll see. It’s nothing to be counted on for sure, but the D staff getting a clue and working together seems like a reasonable expectation. The fact they brought in Pete K late after a lot of his staff had been hired for him, I thought there was a good chance our D would have a drop off. Next season should be better, I mean it would be pretty hard to be worse. Fucking 100th. JFC. 

Sark: “Yeah guys I hear your frustration and I’m working hard with the guys to get on track. Also, I did want mike stoops and he probably would have helped us win 2-3 games last year. Just sayin….”

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

You seriously call those "N-word Lights"

wtf, man

The "N-word" in question in 

Spoiler

Natty

and yes as a poor college student in the 90s, it was a keg of "N-word" light in our dorm freshman year on the 13th floor of Jester West.

Edited by CoachTex

22 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Potentially a significant loss. I thought we had great evals in defensive recruiting this past cycle, albeit we missed on LB targets.

Considering we don’t know his exact role in the evals, the state of our defensive coaching and not having a clue if any of the guys we took were actually good evals yet, I would say calling this a potentially significant loss is getting pretty far out over your skis here, guy. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Potentially a significant loss. I thought we had great evals in defensive recruiting this past cycle, albeit we missed on LB targets.

IMO, the fact that we identified a rando from Montana State who was able to elevate himself to a P5 Director of Player Personnel in one season is a reason for optimism.

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

IMO, the fact that we identified a rando from Montana State who was able to elevate himself to a P5 Director of Player Personnel in one season is a reason for optimism.

He came over with Choate from Montana State and worked with PK at UW, so not exactly “identifying a rando.” 

2 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

We missed on the targets, but that doesn't speak to the evals necessarily. Players were clearly scared off by our loaded depth chart at the position. 

20 hours ago, texifornia said:
Spoiler

The addition of Joey Thomas to the Texas support staff is pretty interesting as Thomas could help both in recruiting and on the field.

The 41-year-old carved out his football path in Seattle, first as a high school player, then head coach at two spots, including famed Garfield High (notable alumni include Jimi Hendrix, Quincy Jones, and Brandon Roy). Between high school and coaching, he played cornerback in college at Montana State where he became a third round draft pick of the Green Bay Packers in 2004. After bouncing around the NFL for seven years he settled on coaching.

While in Bozeman, he dated Beth Dutton played for current Texas defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski, so there’s your tie-in to how he made the move from FAU to UT.

In response to Thomas becoming a member of the Texas program, former NFL defensive back Reggie Jones tweeted the following:

Yessir!! We already have one @HeirFootball Academy member on the roster at Texas. With @Joey_thomas24_ on staff, expect more of my guys to instantly move the Longhorns to the top of their list.

Big time hire! We’ll definitely be taking a trip soon. 🤘🏾

WA ➡️ TX ✈️

Jones’ Heir Football is one of the premier 7 on 7 teams in the Pacific Northwest, so these are quality early returns. But given Steve Sarkisian’s and Pete Kwiatkowski’s familiarity with the region, and PK having coached Thomas, it’s no surprise Thomas provides value with Seattle and surrounding areas.

Where it gets a bit more interesting, is what we’ve heard from his short time in Florida at FAU. Thomas joined as an analyst in 2020 before being elevated to wide receivers coach in 2021.

A source in Miami had this to say: “When he was the wide receiver coach at FAU, he was heavily recruiting Dade and Broward county. I know he was building strong ties with some big-time programs down here and constantly was contacting me for talent. He got in early on some kids that ended up being P5 recruits despite being at a G5 program. One of the better recruiters I’ve come across.“

IT pressed a bit further and asked the source if he knew of any recruits in the area the Thomas hire might help Texas with.

His reply: “I know Jalen Brown has interest in Texas. The two 2024 running backs from IMG, Stacy Gage and Jerrick Gibson.“

The source added a couple of under-the-radar names for us to check on, but we’re going to research them further before posting their names.

If you’ve been paying close attention to recruiting you may have noticed support staffers have been able to influence recruiting more and more through relationship building. It appears Thomas should help Texas in that regard, perhaps all the way from Seattle to Miami.

There’s still the football component to parse. Sarkisian made a bet on Kwiatkowski this offseason but that doesn’t mean he’s not looking to improve that side of the ball. Gary Patterson was hired, in part for his knowledge of defense, and you’d have to assume Thomas will be able to provide some insight into what defensive backfield techniques, schemes, and coverages pair best with PK’s fronts.

All in all it’s an interesting hire. Thomas seems to provide myriad value-adds to a program looking to improve incrementally across the board.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m picturing a meeting where PK and Choate tell this guy, “Look, it’s nice that you can recruit Miami Dade and Broward County, but we hired you to focus on the fertile recruiting grounds of the Pacific Northwest!   We want a full report on the prospects in Moose Town, Montana by tomorrow!”

Mynd you, moose bites Kan be pretti nasti.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m picturing a meeting where PK and Choate tell this guy, “Look, it’s nice that you can recruit Miami Dade and Broward County, but we hired you to focus on the fertile recruiting grounds of the Pacific Northwest!   We want a full report on the prospects in Moose Town, Montana by tomorrow!”

https://247sports.com/Player/Jayden-Wayne-46085119/

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

I kept smashing together Joey Wright and James Thomas and thinking this new hire Joey Thomas is a former bball player.

Well, there is Tommie, Thomas, and Tommy Wright. There is Joey and Joe Thomas. There is Joe and Joey Wright. There is James and Jimmie Thomas. And there is James and Jimmie Wright. What were we talking about again?