Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but here's some fuel for the Tanking theory.  With early signing day on 12/15, if OU had won Bedlam and then beat BU, Riley would not have been available to hire (assuming he wouldn't cut out on a playoff bid).  So he would have missed out on all these CA recruits he's been recruiting, assuming they all signed on the 15th.  So there you have it.  According to my high level sources, LR intentionally lost Bedlam so he could take the USC job and be able to poach all of OU's CA recruits.  

Just now, South Austin said:

Do you have evidence that OJ Simpson did not murder people while he attended USC?

You know, come to think of it, OJ has never denied that OJ murdered people while at USC. We cannot rule out the possibility that OJ murdered people while at USC. OJ has never been acquitted of murder committed while at USC. 

Just now, nnm said:

You know, come to think of it, OJ has never denied that OJ murdered people while at USC. We cannot rule out the possibility that OJ murdered people while at USC. OJ has never been acquitted of murder committed while at USC. 

Damn right!  Where did you get your law degree?  No wait, don't tell me.  Harvard?  No, Yale.  Am I right?

• Like 1

Just now, F250 said:

Well, Craig James did kill 5 hookers at SMU.

Allegedly. And it has never been proven false that Craig James killed 5 hookers at SMU. 
Just like it has never been proven false that OJ committed murder while at USC. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nnm said:

Seems like police would’ve been a little more concerned when he burned a man alive. 
Also, your post seems awfully specific. Are you sure the statue of limitations has run on your “friend’s” activities? Might want to continue to lay low. 

Haha.  Just caught that. 

It was in small town USA.  He's dead now.

55 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Do you have evidence that OJ Simpson did not murder people while he attended USC?

I was going to come up with a clever reply to keep the joke going, but being a resident of the L.A. area during that shitstorm, and watching the morons cheering his acquittal, it sickens me to see his smug face not dangling from a rope.

carry on

3 hours ago, F250 said:

This season has been pure masturbatory schadenfreude for Okie State fans. After finding out they were being left behind Texas implodes and Lincoln Riley ghosts ou.

I'll speak for only myself here but I never really cared about Texas that much. We weren't in the same conference for 50+ years, didn't play each other very much before the B12 was formed. I always wanted to win the games but it didn't carry the same weight with me. Same with A&M and Baylor and Tech. I guess it's like getting a step-sibling when you're in your 30s or 40's. Just be polite and keep it to small talk.

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

I'll speak for only myself here but I never really cared about Texas that much. We weren't in the same conference for 50+ years, didn't play each other very much before the B12 was formed. I always wanted to win the games but it didn't carry the same weight with me. Same with A&M and Baylor and Tech. I guess it's like getting a step-sibling when you're in your 30s or 40's. Just be polite and keep it to small talk.

Same.

I mean, I’m glad we beat Texas, but I don’t really care that much about the “implosion.” (I’d honestly prefer Texas NOT imploded this year so that our win in Austin was more valuable given where we are sitting right now.)

The OU meltdown directly coinciding with us playing for the Big 12 title and having a shot at the CFP, however?  Inject that shit directly into my veins.

33 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Same.

I mean, I’m glad we beat Texas, but I don’t really care that much about the “implosion.” (I’d honestly prefer Texas NOT imploded this year so that our win in Austin was more valuable given where we are sitting right now.)

The OU meltdown directly coinciding with us playing for the Big 12 title and having a shot at the CFP, however?  Inject that shit directly into my veins.

Meh. No one cares about OSU. We’ve got our own crisis going on over here. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, South Austin said:

Eh, I think backstabbing is a bit too much based on what we know.  He left for a traditional powerhouse in a recruiting hotbed and weaker conference than the SEC, and is getting a significant payraise.  All in a college football atmosphere where nobody's job is truly secure.  Big deal.

The tanking allegations seem like bullshit.  They're a muffed punt away from playing in yet another conference championship game, and both of their close losses are to the teams playing in that game. 

And of course the California recruits are going to decommit and move to USC.  Playing in their home state with Lincoln Riley as coach instead of Clay Helton over ??? at OU seems like a nobrainer.  I don't see anything to suggest Riley is badmouthing OU on the way out the door, to recruits or anyone else. 

Hard for me to stick up for an OU coach, but the uproar over him leaving is a big nothing burger. 

Tl;dr Fuck OU

• Hook 'Em 1

Drumm's dreck.  

Da latest.

Spoiler

DrummBeat: What OUinsider is hearing Wednesday evening| Crazy rumors & more!

Reminder: “What we are hearing” isn’t a report, but more of a rumor mill update with some factual reporting being mixed into it. We want you all aware of the buzz we hear, but know that some of this is our feeling on the situation and nothing more.

With that in mind, here is Wednesday evening, December 1st version of “What we are hearing” in the latest Sooners football head coach search:

*** Okay, let's get this thing off before I take the kiddos to OU/Florida game tonight.

*** First, UGA defensive coordinator Dan Lanning seems real. He really does. I don't really know how to explain it, but over the last two or three hours, I have had sources that are very well-connected to Lanning hint to me that there would be some sort of interest there if the Sooners had any interest in him. If there was a hire of Lanning, I wouldn't be shocked to see coaches like FSU OC/QB coach Kenny Dillingham or A&M DB coach TJ Rushing be in the mix for a spot on his staff. Those two are Memphis guys from years past with Lanning and coaches that have recruited Oklahoma well over the years.

Again, I am not saying that is happening. Just want to make that clear. I just know those two have strong connections to this area and would be ones to watch as potential staffers if Lanning was the guy. Nothing more than that. Pretty much an educated guess at this point off of a few sources that I have spoken with recently.

Rushing is originally from Pauls Valley, so an OU job might entice him a bit, but how much? That has yet to even happen due to nothing being done on the Sooners' end. Lanning also has a very, very strong relationship with Caleb Williams and his family. The UGA DC was his lead guy at Georgia and from a source very close to Williams, Lanning "all but had Caleb committed to UGA before a few things went south there."

So, if Lanning was the hire, he would be big on that front with Caleb Williams. A source told OUinsider, "Man, that would be a good start," the source said about the Lanning hire and how that would affect Caleb Williams' future at OU. "[Lanning] has that energy about him that just resonates and you believe in what he wants you to do and accomplish. Man, he would be good at OU if that happened."

I have also talked to coaches around the country today to ask what they thought of him and it was "rising star" or "next big thing in college football if he gets the right shot." Coaches don't throw that type of stuff around lightly.

Right now, it's all buzz. It's not definitive buzz but it's buzz nonetheless and momentum that I hadn't heard with his name much until the last day or so. This afternoon it went to another level, so we will see where it goes from there, but it does sound as if there is at least some minor mutual interest (at the very least) right now and maybe even more than that. Something we are working diligently on to find out.

*** Brent Venables is seemingly still out recruiting, but I continue to hear more buzz with his name and the Sooners. He has a championship pedigree, like Lanning, but is older and has a deep, deep OU background. All of that makes him the most logical of the candidates and the one we still feel is at the top, if not right near the top.

Coaches I talk to around the country feel Venables has "the juice and passion to be the guy. Don't know why he has waited this long, but OU is so perfect for him... So perfect."

Another coach told OUinsider, "He can scheme, he can recruit, he can motivate and he is respected. That is four things you want in a coach outside of discipline and he can do that too. I think he would be big-time in Norman."

Again, we continue to hear his name and he has been the common denominator here for some time. What I heard last night, what I heard this evening again, and even this afternoon, was something outlandish right now, but I guess not overly crazy... Okay, it's crazy if you force yourself to think of it, but there is some serious buzz with Dabo Swinney and OU right now. He would bring BV with him, too, according to this rumor.

I don't like even typing all of that because it seems so crazy that I laughed hard when he told me. Thing is, the sources I talked to are normally pretty reliable and they wouldn't just throw that scenario out to me without some sort of seriousness behind it. At least, that is what I think. Still, I find it hard to trust at this time.

Last night, I spoke with several people, including Parker and a few other media members that heard the same. How far I can take that ridiculous scenario stops here.

*** Can OU afford Bob Stoops as the head coach? If there is a big announcement tonight and no one worthwhile up for it, why wouldn't Joe C pick Bob Stoops to coach for the next 5-7 years? It seems crazy like the Dabo stuff, I know. But this is a rumor write-up, so we can add it and run with our tails tucked between our legs knowing that the craziness of it all seems, well, crazy.

Does Bob get the NIL well enough? Times have changed in CFB. Can Bob go with it and does he have the want to, to continue to have to recruit year-round? All questions that are valid in this wild scenario.

We know he loves OU. More than anyone not named Barry Switzer, so the passion is there, but energy and passion sometimes clash.

Don't shoot the messenger. I have refused to write about this stuff for days now, but as things keep dragging out, we have to cross every scenario off that we have heard -- including this one.

*** Lastly, Joe Brady. Is he a surprise guy? Matt Rhule was ruled out (like that pun?), so what about the Panthers OC? I haven't heard much other than one source with knowledge tell me earlier today, "All I know is that his agent has had contact with people. Nothing more than that at this time."

Who they have had contact with is a great question, but if the Sooners are thinking about Brady as an OC or HC, he would pique the interest of a lot players, most specifically Caleb Williams.

Not much more on him than this at this time, so I am not sure what else to say there other than file his name away and leave it at that.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, South Austin said:

Eh, I think backstabbing is a bit too much based on what we know.  He left for a traditional powerhouse in a recruiting hotbed and weaker conference than the SEC, and is getting a significant payraise.  All in a college football atmosphere where nobody's job is truly secure.  Big deal.

The tanking allegations seem like bullshit.  They're a muffed punt away from playing in yet another conference championship game, and both of their close losses are to the teams playing in that game. 

And of course the California recruits are going to decommit and move to USC.  Playing in their home state with Lincoln Riley as coach instead of Clay Helton over ??? at OU seems like a nobrainer.  I don't see anything to suggest Riley is badmouthing OU on the way out the door, to recruits or anyone else. 

Hard for me to stick up for an OU coach, but the uproar over him leaving is a big nothing burger. 

This post was like a full bar of xanax.  I feel much better.  This, plus no news coming out of Norman as far as leaks...letting Joe C do things how he does.  I feel fineeeee.  

18 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Drumm's dreck.  

Da latest.

Reveal hidden contents

Reminder: “What we are hearing” isn’t a report, but more of a rumor mill update with some factual reporting being mixed into it. We want you all aware of the buzz we hear, but know that some of this is our feeling on the situation and nothing more.

With that in mind, here is Wednesday evening, December 1st version of “What we are hearing” in the latest Sooners football head coach search:

*** Okay, let's get this thing off before I take the kiddos to OU/Florida game tonight.

*** First, UGA defensive coordinator Dan Lanning seems real. He really does. I don't really know how to explain it, but over the last two or three hours, I have had sources that are very well-connected to Lanning hint to me that there would be some sort of interest there if the Sooners had any interest in him. If there was a hire of Lanning, I wouldn't be shocked to see coaches like FSU OC/QB coach Kenny Dillingham or A&M DB coach TJ Rushing be in the mix for a spot on his staff. Those two are Memphis guys from years past with Lanning and coaches that have recruited Oklahoma well over the years.

Again, I am not saying that is happening. Just want to make that clear. I just know those two have strong connections to this area and would be ones to watch as potential staffers if Lanning was the guy. Nothing more than that. Pretty much an educated guess at this point off of a few sources that I have spoken with recently.

Rushing is originally from Pauls Valley, so an OU job might entice him a bit, but how much? That has yet to even happen due to nothing being done on the Sooners' end. Lanning also has a very, very strong relationship with Caleb Williams and his family. The UGA DC was his lead guy at Georgia and from a source very close to Williams, Lanning "all but had Caleb committed to UGA before a few things went south there."

So, if Lanning was the hire, he would be big on that front with Caleb Williams. A source told OUinsider, "Man, that would be a good start," the source said about the Lanning hire and how that would affect Caleb Williams' future at OU. "[Lanning] has that energy about him that just resonates and you believe in what he wants you to do and accomplish. Man, he would be good at OU if that happened."

I have also talked to coaches around the country today to ask what they thought of him and it was "rising star" or "next big thing in college football if he gets the right shot." Coaches don't throw that type of stuff around lightly.

Right now, it's all buzz. It's not definitive buzz but it's buzz nonetheless and momentum that I hadn't heard with his name much until the last day or so. This afternoon it went to another level, so we will see where it goes from there, but it does sound as if there is at least some minor mutual interest (at the very least) right now and maybe even more than that. Something we are working diligently on to find out.

*** Brent Venables is seemingly still out recruiting, but I continue to hear more buzz with his name and the Sooners. He has a championship pedigree, like Lanning, but is older and has a deep, deep OU background. All of that makes him the most logical of the candidates and the one we still feel is at the top, if not right near the top.

Coaches I talk to around the country feel Venables has "the juice and passion to be the guy. Don't know why he has waited this long, but OU is so perfect for him... So perfect."

Another coach told OUinsider, "He can scheme, he can recruit, he can motivate and he is respected. That is four things you want in a coach outside of discipline and he can do that too. I think he would be big-time in Norman."

Again, we continue to hear his name and he has been the common denominator here for some time. What I heard last night, what I heard this evening again, and even this afternoon, was something outlandish right now, but I guess not overly crazy... Okay, it's crazy if you force yourself to think of it, but there is some serious buzz with Dabo Swinney and OU right now. He would bring BV with him, too, according to this rumor.

I don't like even typing all of that because it seems so crazy that I laughed hard when he told me. Thing is, the sources I talked to are normally pretty reliable and they wouldn't just throw that scenario out to me without some sort of seriousness behind it. At least, that is what I think. Still, I find it hard to trust at this time.

Last night, I spoke with several people, including Parker and a few other media members that heard the same. How far I can take that ridiculous scenario stops here.

*** Can OU afford Bob Stoops as the head coach? If there is a big announcement tonight and no one worthwhile up for it, why wouldn't Joe C pick Bob Stoops to coach for the next 5-7 years? It seems crazy like the Dabo stuff, I know. But this is a rumor write-up, so we can add it and run with our tails tucked between our legs knowing that the craziness of it all seems, well, crazy.

Does Bob get the NIL well enough? Times have changed in CFB. Can Bob go with it and does he have the want to, to continue to have to recruit year-round? All questions that are valid in this wild scenario.

We know he loves OU. More than anyone not named Barry Switzer, so the passion is there, but energy and passion sometimes clash.

Don't shoot the messenger. I have refused to write about this stuff for days now, but as things keep dragging out, we have to cross every scenario off that we have heard -- including this one.

*** Lastly, Joe Brady. Is he a surprise guy? Matt Rhule was ruled out (like that pun?), so what about the Panthers OC? I haven't heard much other than one source with knowledge tell me earlier today, "All I know is that his agent has had contact with people. Nothing more than that at this time."

Who they have had contact with is a great question, but if the Sooners are thinking about Brady as an OC or HC, he would pique the interest of a lot players, most specifically Caleb Williams.

Not much more on him than this at this time, so I am not sure what else to say there other than file his name away and leave it at that.

That’s fucking interesting man…

21 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Drumm's dreck.  

Da latest.

Reveal hidden contents

Oh yeah, Dabo coming over with Venables.  I guess they'll have to decide where to put Belichick but in the end, it's a good problem to have. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Drumm's dreck.  

Da latest.

Hide contents

Two weeks ago I would have made fun of anyone posting that Dabo might go to OU.

now? Fuck. I don’t know.

7 hours ago, Pdawg88 said:

Looks like it might be Rhule. How do you boys feel about that hire? Hated him at Baylor but he’s a hell of a coach. 

Rhule would be a damn HR.  I'm not hearing Rhule at all, but I do know Joe has this VERY close to the vest.  Agents of agents have contacted eachother to get feelers first - only then is any direct contact initiated.  I'm barely exaggerating here.  Remember, Joe/Harroz/Hartzell/CDC pulled off a move to the SEC with nothing leaking until it was basically done.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, nnm said:

Hmmm ... OJSK5H?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Two weeks ago I would have made fun of anyone posting that Dabo might go to OU.

now? Fuck. I don’t know.

Best argument for this would be that the financial gap between the SEC/B1G and ACC is about to to keep Clemson from competing at the elite level where they compete now.  Mel Tucker just signed a $95M contract for one good season at Michigan State.  He's out-earning Dabo by more than $1M per.  Kelly and Riley are going to be making a lot more than that.  When the new SEC contracts kick in, how hard will it be for Clemson boosters to make up the revenue difference between the two conferences and how long will it be sustainable if they do?  

So... if Dabo were to jump ship to OU now, he doesn't have to do an extensive rebuild, and he never has to worry about the football budget  / facilities budget / etc.  

It still seems extremely unlikely to happen but after the last few days of coaching turnover, it seems somewhat less crazy.   

20 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Mike might want to donate some of his hair to his brother.

Not really. Cale lost all his hair after the Treatment. The wig looked fine until his wife washed it in the dishwasher on high heat, and unfortunately tossed it in the dryer, also on high heat. The Coaching Search Board, has informed him that 0U will not be hiring anyone who shows up for a Preliminary Interview wearing a Shrunken Wig.

Although mind you, Shrunken Wigs is a not-so-bad name for a band.