Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

7 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

He needs to replace Wylie, Grinch, and then grow his recruiting staff to mirror what the other elite programs are doing.  I can't see him doing any of that willingly.  

It would require him to admit he made mistakes. Not his strong suit. 

On 9/24/2023 at 9:32 AM, Constant said:

I think he just doesn’t want to admit he was wrong. Same reason he holds onto all of his mistakes. 

Nah. Coaches like Riley are cowards. They are afraid to bring in good coaching talent because they are insecure and think that if the other guy does too good of a job, he will become their replacement. Lots of recent examples of this, including our guy Tommy boy.

Coaches that are secure in their own abilities go out and hire the best coaches they can, period. They want to win and they want their assistants to succeed with them.

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Nah. Coaches like Riley are cowards. They are afraid to bring in good coaching talent because they are insecure and think that if the other guy does too good of a job, he will become their replacement. Lots of recent examples of this, including our guy Tommy boy.

Coaches that are secure in their own abilities go out and hire the best coaches they can, period. They want to win and they want their assistants to succeed with them.

I’m just speculating, but I don’t think he really cares. At least not in the same way a Saban or Smart does. Those guys spend 24/7 looking for an edge.

Riley on the other hand loves the trappings of the profession and cooks shit BBQ. I think it was the glitter more than the potential of winning that took him to SC. 

On 9/24/2023 at 12:54 PM, MrBig said:

36512B23-9E64-4C88-8CEB-C309AFB8FBFF.thumb.jpeg.ac8747a84bec4903c0960d9ee77d428b.jpeg

Annie Hanson - Executive Director of Recruiting at USC. Zach Hanson - USC TE Coach

She looks like a less jacked up version of Riley’s wife.

This woman owns an extensive wardrobe of leather undergarments and an even more extensive collection of accessories. 

And dozens, perhaps hundreds, of rechargeable batteries.

Right now OU fans are on top of the world. They go out and get Venables and in a year he beats Texas, and Riley gets a beat down from Notre Dame. It’s nirvana. 

But something doesn’t quite feel right. Riley is definitely starting to look like he doesn’t know how to put it all together for a title run, but he may just be waiting for a Jerry Jones call, or need another year to get more defensive talent in the door.

And Venables may have just gotten lucky by his team playing perfect and Texas making too many mistakes.

Next few weeks should be interesting.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Oof.

https://theathletic.com/4963245/2023/10/15/usc-lincoln-riley-notre-dame/?source=user-shared-article

The Trojans aren’t playing well in any facet of the game right now. Just as troubling is the fact that there’s no great recruiting class on the way to build on. USC is ranked 18th nationally in the 247Sports Composite with an average player rating of 91.47. That’s good. It’s not elite — not enough for USC to take the next step as a program.

On Saturday afternoon, top-50 defensive lineman Aydin Breland announced his commitment to Oregon. Breland plays for Mater Dei in Santa Ana, which has long been a USC pipeline school. Mater Dei has five players ranked among the top 150 nationally in the 2024 cycle. Barring an unexpected flip, USC will miss out on all five.

• Haha 3

Caleb is no doubt talented. High QB IQ and all that. I also think he’s a headcase. Both things can be true. Not sure how he’ll translate to the NFL if he can’t handle a defense with a pulse. You get that almost every week in the NFL. His sideline stuff reminds me of OBJ. Not a good look. Jmo.

• Hook 'Em 6

59 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Caleb is no doubt talented. High QB IQ and all that. I also think he’s a headcase. Both things can be true. Not sure how he’ll translate to the NFL if he can’t handle a defense with a pulse. You get that almost every week in the NFL. His sideline stuff reminds me of OBJ. Not a good look. Jmo.

I'd say the same about LR and the NFL.  There's this narrative that he'll take off for that but what makes anyone think he'll do well there?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I'd say the same about LR and the NFL.  There's this narrative that he'll take off for that but what makes anyone think he'll do well there?

I think he was setting up for a shot with the Chargers. There are still poorly managed NFL teams that might take him. It’s funny because he left OU in a smarmy way to avoid SEC. Thought he could easily hang in after dark Pac 12. Decimate. Pac 12 gets blown up and he can’t even hang with the remnants of it. He will get his clock cleaned in the Big 10. If he wants to go pro he’d better do it now. Because his stock is falling. And will fall more with USCs remaining schedule. He’s a great OC/QB coach for the most part but as a HC in the NFL he’ll flame out. I think. 

Edited by Nicole44

33 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I think he was setting up for a shot with the Chargers. There are still poorly managed NFL teams that might take him. It’s funny because he left OU in a smarmy way to avoid SEC. Thought he could easily hang in after dark Pac 12. Decimate. Pac 12 gets blown up and he can’t even hang with the remnants of it. He will get his clock cleaned in the Big 10. If he wants to go pro he’d better do it now. Because his stock is falling. And will fall more with USCs remaining schedule. He’s a great OC/QB coach for the most part but as a HC in the NFL he’ll flame out. I think. 

No NFL team is taking a chance on a college coach in the immediate future after Kingsbury crashed and burned. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Remember being told that one of the reasons he left OU for SC was how much better the recruiting would be there.  He’s getting smoked by both OU and Oregon.

That was a funny way of saying that he didn't want to coach in the SEC. 

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Right now OU fans are on top of the world. They go out and get Venables and in a year he beats Texas, and Riley gets a beat down from Notre Dame. It’s nirvana. 

But something doesn’t quite feel right. Riley is definitely starting to look like he doesn’t know how to put it all together for a title run, but he may just be waiting for a Jerry Jones call, or need another year to get more defensive talent in the door.

And Venables may have just gotten lucky by his team playing perfect and Texas making too many mistakes.

Next few weeks should be interesting.  

This is Riley's 7th year as a head coach, and his defenses have been consistently awful in all seven years. I don't see that magically changing. He is a Leach disciple that believes flag football is the way to go.

Edited by z009
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, z009 said:

No NFL team is taking a chance on a college coach in the immediate future after Kingsbury crashed and burned. 

Kingsbury never really had all that much success as a head coach though. A couple of good seasons, but nothing that really made you think 'on the verge' or anything like that. How he got past that interview, no one will ever know. Riley however has actually consistently had double digit wins and grabbed some titles, as well as won a few genuinely big regular season games. I agree he flames out of the NFL eventually after the team(s) get tired of never winning any playoff games. But I can see him regularly bringing those teams to the playoffs and bouncing around a few jobs here and there before the league finally gets tired of his schtick and he ends up spending the rest of his career as an offensive coordinator.

• Hook 'Em 1