2022 Transfer QB Quinn Ewers

Getafix

43 minutes ago, Okcool said:

Oh Worthy adjusted, half-ass adjusted when he saw the safety out of the corner of his eye coming. He alligator armed the ball. Happened right in front where we were sitting. He's clearly not the answer. Take his shtick somewhere else.  

I agree with you.. He seems mentally checked out & looks like he doesn't want to be apart of the team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Nope. It was about middle of the 2nd quarter and he was something like 9/14 for under 100 yards at that point and was not playing well, like he had in most of his recent games. My bigger complaint wasn’t about this game, it was about his lack of progress in this offense this year. But it’s hard to tell how much is on Quinn for decision making and how much is on Sakr for play calling. 

Credit to him, though. He completely turned it around in the 2nd half and had a great game. Sark making better calls helped a lot too. Sark needs to improve a lot. His play calling was bad this year, and he’s not showing a good understanding of his personnel. Way too many deep shots to Worthy all year, and giving Keilan way more snaps than Brooks in this game was very dumb and a big part of why we lost. 

I think he should have kept the strategy he used when Card was starting during the Ewers injury after Ewers returned. Instead he went back to the deep shot after deep shot play calls. This offense most success came on the short intermediate throws being hit and the run game. 

I can't recall what poster it was but he compared the passing numbers in short, intermediate, and long for both Card/Ewers this year and it was crazy how many more deep shots we took with Ewers vs Card. 

18 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

The booth guys were talking about J.T Sanders get irate at Worthy on the sidelines and having to be restrained or some such.  

Wasnt the story that Sanders was the guy who got in Billingslys face and made him quit?  

Sounds like the kinda leader this team needs. The do your job, or take your shit down the road kinda leader.  

You love to see it. 

Yeah, JT has been mentioned a few times as one of the new leaders on this team.  Need some guys on the Oline and Dline to really step into leadership roles for 2023.  This team has to get a lot tougher both mentally and physically -- they need more confidence and to become a little more "nasty" to compete for Championships.  They have not learned how to win big games yet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The more I think about last night, and the offensive approach going in to “throw the ball extensively” as Sark said in the post-game, last night seems like the transition game from Bijan/Roschon’s team to Quinn’s team. It seems clear Sark believes we aren’t going to be able to lean on the running game next year as our team’s identity, and that our future is as a QB-led passing offense. With that assumption, Sark thought we needed to start establishing this identity a game early because he knew there would be some growing pains and the result of this game didn’t mean anything in the grand scheme of things. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think he should have kept the strategy he used when Card was starting during the Ewers injury after Ewers returned. Instead he went back to the deep shot after deep shot play calls. This offense most success came on the short intermediate throws being hit and the run game. 

I can't recall what poster it was but he compared the passing numbers in short, intermediate, and long for both Card/Ewers this year and it was crazy how many more deep shots we took with Ewers vs Card. 

He called 4 deep shots in the second half. Worthy dropped two of them, Ewers checked down on one of them, and Ewers overthrew Cain with a pass rush in his face. Do you think that maybe the short and intermediate game was working because they had to respect the fact that we would run past them?

It's almost like the coaches think Ewers has a better deep ball than Card does.

• Hook 'Em 2

The more I think about last night, and the offensive approach going in to “throw the ball extensively” as Sark said in the post-game, last night seems like the transition game from Bijan/Roschon’s team to Quinn’s team. It seems clear Sark believes we aren’t going to be able to lean on the running game next year as our team’s identity, and that our future is as a QB-led passing offense. With that assumption, Sark thought we needed to start establishing this identity a game early because he knew there would be some growing pains and the result of this game didn’t mean anything in the grand scheme of things. 

Well it was the right decision. We just lacked the ability to execute on the whole receiver thing.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, FloridaHorn said:

He called 4 deep shots in the second half. Worthy dropped two of them, Ewers checked down on one of them, and Ewers overthrew Cain with a pass rush in his face. Do you think that maybe the short and intermediate game was working because they had to respect the fact that we would run past them?

It's almost like the coaches think Ewers has a better deep ball than Card does.

The deep hall hasn’t worked all year with Quinn. Why keep doing the same shit over and over. Run a distribution offense on the lower stuff like we did in the second half. Try to run the ball more as well. 

10 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Well it was the right decision. We just lacked the ability to execute on the whole receiver thing.

The WR room is excellent with the ball in their hands. They struggle when asked to go get the ball. I am talking about JWhitt and X. Just lacking guys that can make catches in traffic and occasionally bail out a QB. I used to watch the post game on LHN. They gave out rewards. The best catch on the year was Bijan’s catch vs ISU, which was hardly jaw dropping. 

36 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

The WR room is excellent with the ball in their hands. They struggle when asked to go get the ball. I am talking about JWhitt and X. Just lacking guys that can make catches in traffic and occasionally bail out a QB. I used to watch the post game on LHN. They gave out rewards. The best catch on the year was Bijan’s catch vs ISU, which was hardly jaw dropping. 

yeah, JWhitt has been unreliable as a receiver.  I cannot really blame the player for not being capable of doing something when they put in the damn effort.   

35 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Worthy's inability to catch balls downfield is pretty amazing. I just laughed when we opened the game with a deep shot to him down the sideline. Alright, get it all out of our system, I guess. 

Is inability to track a ball is spectacular.  That first deep shot was short but it was short to the sideline because the DB was running stride for stride with Worthy.  If Worthy had any idea where the ball was going he could have downshifted and made the catch.

• Hook 'Em 5

23 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Is inability to track a ball is spectacular.  That first deep shot was short but it was short to the sideline because the DB was running stride for stride with Worthy.  If Worthy had any idea where the ball was going he could have downshifted and made the catch.

image.png.8cdf2ddda4e0c70d75ab81152861f43c.png

The only thing he can see

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

I don’t get this. We return our entire young and talented OL, and the three B’s + Robinson should be an excellent RB room. Our WRs on the other hand will be a huge question mark unless we really make some big portal moves. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Pos rep. I'm glad to find a thread that isn't a spew of fury.

I've been critical of the drive-killing attempts at high risk long passes which we haven't executed well. Against Washington the QB was executing at a level to make the risks worth it. Three very catchable passes to Worthy two of which likely would have been scoring plays. 

When thinking of the future, is almost a relief to narrow the problem down to one part of the equation: our deep threat receiver. 

I think we play hard and physical. We seem to have a generally good team feel as well. We've just got holes that I think Sark and crew are brilliantly addressing at remarkable speed. Last night the holes were notably with some linebacking positions, powerful running back with experience, deep threat receivers who can catch, and edge rush.

Just fill one or two of those holes and we likely win the bowl game. I'm optimistic about next season. I think help is on the way. Like @Duane Moore, I think Sark has a strategic vision for the team which, when realized, will make the tactical side of the game more effective.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Looking back at his stats, I don't think anyone can say he had a bad game. But he was definitely much more efficient in the second half. Our receivers only caught about 50% (17/31) of the balls thrown their way. I don't know where to find the stat for this, but from memory, only a few of them were truly uncatchable. 

1st: 8/12 (67%), 89 yards ~8 minutes (11 yards/minute)

2nd: 6/8 (75%), 37 yards ~5 minutes (7.5 ypm)

3rd: 5/8 (63%), 91 yards ~3 minutes  (30 ypm)

4th: 12/19 (63%), 152 yards ~6.5 minutes (23 ypm)

This loss wasn't on Ewers. I don't blame Bijan or RoJo for prioritizing their future, but we would've won if either of them had played. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Well, Ewers is much more capable of throwing a catchable deep ball than Card. So the difference is understandable from that perspective. The problem is that "catchable" does not equate to "a catch" with the way our receivers have been playing. 

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yup. That one was on both of them, but it would've been catchable if Worthy was paying attention. 

We gotta stop the worthy talk on a ewers thread. That throw, yeah I don’t even need to say which one, that throw and non catch was so maddening that it made me laugh. I was so happy we got him after Michigan. Hell I was ready to buy his rookie cards after year one. And that look of cocky as he missed a wide open down the middle catch. Enough I say. Ewers did well, not great but better than expected. 

8 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

The booth guys were talking about J.T Sanders get irate at Worthy on the sidelines and having to be restrained or some such.  

Wasnt the story that Sanders was the guy who got in Billingslys face and made him quit?  

Sounds like the kinda leader this team needs. The do your job, or take your shit down the road kinda leader.  

You love to see it. 

Anybody have any more insight or info to this. I love the team holding themselves accountable....well, most of the team.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...
11 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo Risin' said:

I was led to believe Quinn put on good muscle this off-season... That right arm looks like a noodle lol

Seriously tho, he seems to have matured both mentally and physically since last year. Hoping for a big year for him. 

Screenshot_20230624_171628_Chrome.jpg

You don't mess with the arm too much. There is something special in there. Can't go fucking it up with muscle and what have yous...

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo Risin' said:

I was led to believe Quinn put on good muscle this off-season... That right arm looks like a noodle lol

Seriously tho, he seems to have matured both mentally and physically since last year. Hoping for a big year for him. 

Screenshot_20230624_171628_Chrome.jpg

He was still a high school kid  - sorta - last year.  I'm not hoping, I'm expecting, big things from him this season.  Too much talent in a good environment for it not to happen.

• 6 months later...

Glad he is coming back and I think he made the right decision for his individual future as well. Improve the finer points of his game and he will be a first round pick next year.

Side tangent - Man the clumsy forcing of the phrase "with that being said" into these announcements will never not make me laugh.

8 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Glad he is coming back and I think he made the right decision for his individual future as well. Improve the finer points of his game and he will be a first round pick next year.

Side tangent - Man the clumsy forcing of the phrase "with that being said" into these announcements will never not make me laugh.

"With that being said" has become as overused as "taking my talents to..."

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Before coming here and after seeing his announcement, I just posted on the "words and phrases that bug the shit out of you" thread.  I've had it with it!!

4 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Gonna auction off that card, watch.

I'll bid tree fiddy

4 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Gonna auction off that card, watch.

I'll bid tree fiddy

Fo fiddy here 

Edited by MontereyMX
Idiot

I prefer the shortened "that said", but with that being said...I also tend to overuse it.