Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon

Longboard Horn

2 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Couple that with the rabid every opposing view needs to be eliminated/dehumanization rhetoric and it's brainwashing murder for simpletons or challenged people.

If you believe this is a one side issue, you need to reflect on your bias. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

We can compare lists of cars driving into political rallies and shootings.  Ready to do this?  The side pushing gun control should be a total giveaway regarding elimination or dehumanization of the other side.  In fact, one side is pushing for equal rights, and they're doing so peacefully.    

7 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

If you’re a white male.

If you’re here.  How do Mexican nationals do here, compared to where they were born?   Nicaraguans, Guatemalans?  Africans?    What about the expats from Europe?   They coming here to make less money?    Fuck it I’ll make it easier to answer.

Who comes to America and does worse?  

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

If you’re here.  How do Mexican nationals do here, compared to where they were born?   Nicaraguans, Guatemalans?  Africans?    What about the expats from Europe?   They coming here to make less money?    Fuck it I’ll make it easier to answer.

I mean no one of course. And I agree with you in principle that the US is still seen as a desirable place for immigrants to have a better life. With that said, it’s not uncommon either for that better life (whatever that means to the family) to take a few generations. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

His racism is showing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, YChang said:

I mean no one of course. And I agree with you in principle that the US is still seen as a desirable place for immigrants to have a better life. With that said, it’s not uncommon either for that better life (whatever that means to the family) to take a few generations. 

Appreciate your perspective. That’s what pretty much every immigrant I’ve ever talked to says. The exception being the British and Scottish oil guys who are here padding accounts before they head back home.   Better life can be as simple as no longer buying open air meat, to no longer living in a favela, to not having your arms hacked off for your religious beliefs.  But WhItE MaLe!!1!

33 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Plenty of people. It happens all the time. 

So I guess we just take it as an article of faith that the United States is the best country in the world to be an immigrant and that an immigrant's experience in the United States is always better than in his country of origin.

It’s that American exceptionalism Kool-aid they all drink.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I've never seen data on income for immigrants vs country of origin. I'd be interested in seeing it. In general I would imagine people earn more here but the cost of living is often substantially higher. On average I would bet immigrants come out better economically - especially those not from central America because it's incredibly selective/difficult to get in from farther afield - but everything is on a bell curve when you're talking about volumes as large as this. To act like there aren't plenty of immigrants for whom the whole "move to the US" thing doesn't pan out is just demonstrating a shitty grasp of math.

What is known is that immigrants, in aggregate, arrive to the US in better health than Americans of similar age/income levels, and health outcomes start to decline as they, and especially their children, start adopting the American lifestyle.

So the answer to this question also depends on how we define "doing well" or "doing better."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Appreciate your perspective. That’s what pretty much every immigrant I’ve ever talked to says. The exception being the British and Scottish oil guys who are here padding accounts before they head back home.   Better life can be as simple as no longer buying open air meat, to no longer living in a favela, to not having your arms hacked off for your religious beliefs.  But WhItE MaLe!!1!

Local man who beats the shit out of his wife says “bitch, you should just be grateful I took you away from the home you grew up in, where your daddy beat you twice as bad.”
Local man thinks this statement is exculpatory.
Local man is a piece of shit.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

6 hours ago, YChang said:

I'm trying to figure out how immigrants coming here to do better is any different than African and Asian subcontinent immigrants going to the UK, Germany, France, Italy, etc.  I mean are they all doing worse in developed countries than they were in their home countries?  I doubt it.

17 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I'm trying to figure out how immigrants coming here to do better is any different than African and Asian subcontinent immigrants going to the UK, Germany, France, Italy, etc.  I mean are they all doing worse in developed countries than they were in their home countries?  I doubt it.

Help me out, I don’t understand why you quoted me… 

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why is "better than their previous shitty life" the bar?  Why isn't "a good, healthy, happy life" the bar?

It's literally the story of our country.

Absolute insanity to me that people are okay with our level of poverty because third world countries are worse to be poor in.

We have the resources, and more (!), for it to not be this way

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Absolute insanity to me that people are okay with our level of poverty because third world countries are worse to be poor in.

We have the resources, and more (!), for it to not be this way

Again, don't complain about how much I beat you when we all know your daddy beat you worse.

That's the logic here.  It's as repugnant as it sounds.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, David Dennison said:

So I guess we just take it as an article of faith that the United States is the best country in the world to be an immigrant and that an immigrant's experience in the United States is always better than in his country of origin.

Not sure what you're going for here. But it's pretty obvious why immigrants come to the United States is because of the dream of a better life with opportunities.

The immigrant's experience is going to be a full spectrum based on several factors ranging from their education levels prior to immigrating, education/employment opportunities in America, social and community supports established upon immigration, ability to adjust to a new environment, and just luck in general.

I suppose much of the above is the same is true for immigrants headed to other nations as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Hey fats, "your bias" is in the news again today:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-shares-post-suggesting-civil-003103426.html

In an interview with CNN, Conway said Republicans were willing to look the other way from Trump’s incendiary rhetoric because “they’re terrified of him.”

“But they’re also terrified of a Republican base that’s become increasingly radicalized,” he continued. “That actually does believe that people who politically disagree with them are a threat to the nation and therefore violence could be necessary to fight them off, and that’s what we saw in this social media post.”

and my take:

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

He's saying the quiet part out loud, but everyone has known the quiet part forever...or at least since 1979.  I'd be hard pressed to name any elected official on Capitol Hill that knows more about China and Taiwan than him.  Heck, he was on the Foreign Relations Committee when One China and the Taiwan Relations Act  were drafted in 1979.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

To bring back the topic on Biden and the campaign promise of student loan forgiveness. Sounds like the $10k isn't such a bad figure if this is true:

With outstanding federal student loans totaling $1.6 trillion, "cancel student debt" is a mantra that can be heard on college campuses and beyond. While student debt impacts the lives of many, how does it actually break down? Well, it turns out "most borrowers have small loans," with 53% owing $20,000 or less, and nearly a third owing less than $10,000, reports The Washington Post. Just 7% of borrowers owe more than $100,000, although the Post notes that people with the highest levels of debt are often the most able to pay it back.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Vegas64 said:

Just 7% of borrowers owe more than $100,000, although the Post notes that people with the highest levels of debt are often the most able to pay it back.

So that 7% isn't all for 18th century French poetry and underwater basket weaving majors?  I've been assured that they are the ones racking up student loan debt and not the STEM majors.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

So that 7% isn't all for 18th century French poetry and underwater basket weaving majors?  I've been assured that they are the ones racking up student loan debt and not the STEM majors.
What a dumbass narrative that is that continues to make the rounds.

49 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think the takeaway is more that just getting a quick legislative win at $10k forgiveness is actually very impactful, by the numbers. You are erasing 1/3 of the student loan populations debt and meaningfully impacting 53% of the population. And this is as a first step plus it executes on a campaign promise and shows some rigor and integrity to doing what you say you are going to do.

Also, it sounds like the 7% with the 100k+ debt, whatever their major may be, are the vocal minority who are letting great be the enemy of good here.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, trauma babe said:

I'm going to place much less blame on people with lots of student debt rather than the Democrats who refuse to play ball for their party on issues that have broad bipartisan approval

True. It just confounds why it won't get done, even at the executive override level, since it's $10k, it's a low lift, and it's got broad bipartisan approval.

1 hour ago, trauma babe said:

And yet there are people claiming that the left controls Biden lmao

At this point I'm not actually sure what is stopping Biden from doing $10k loan forgiveness at the executive level with a flick-a-da-wrist of his pen. It's not the left and I don't think it's the crazies and it sure ain't the moderates and left of center/right of centers. 

Do we have a credible read on why we haven't seen any loan forgiveness? And don't give me inflation crap-- we know for a 99% fact that the money that would have been going to loans has not been saved in a rainy day fund called "future loan payments" so there isn't a flood of new money with $10k forgiveness. 

• immamac changed the title to Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon