2022 Rain Thread

South Austin

6 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Used to be a pretty good BBQ stop in Rice's Crossing, but that was 25 years ago. If it is still there, I hope it made it.

With the wildfires, I was worried about Mary's in Strawn, the tornado in Jacksboro, earlier today, I was worried about Herd's, in Elgin, I was worried about Southside Market. I should I be ashamed, but I always lead with my stomach.

CHIEF

There is NOTHING in Rice's Crossing anymore, save a few grain silos.  It would have been fine, both the Taylor and Elgin tornadoes were nowhere near there.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Looks like about that.  KBTX shows the worst heading more toward Bryan, just brushing Northgate and the north side of campus.

The rotation is past Snook and crossing the Brazos right now.

38 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

No, please don't hit Kyle field.

Do you think they'll make a t-shirt for this?

What a windfall that would be for them. It’s been a while since Harvey. A tornado relief fund could provide Sharp enough money to buy a few more recruiting classes.

edit: deej beat me to it

Edited by Orange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 4th_and_18 said:

A&M radar picked up 120mph winds before the tornado died out as it laid eyes on the shithole of the southwest.

https://atmo.tamu.edu/facilities-resources/adrad/index.html

The Aggie Doppler Radar (ADRAD, formerly the Geo Axis Yoctosecond Digital Access Radar) is the only on-campus S-band, Doppler weather radar in the country, located on the roof of the Eller O&M building with a control station on the 12th floor. TAMU undergraduate and graduate students are trained in hands-on radar operations providing unparalleled undergraduate and graduate student access to a high-quality weather radar system. ADRAD is operated by students during periods of active weather in the area, often serving as a backup observation for local National Weather Service forecast offices.

With hardware components dating over 50 years and new upgrades on a consistent basis, ADRAD represents an evolving link between the rich radar history of our department and our current educational and research goals. Following modifications to a radar which was used in 1956 to provide the first radar-based tornado warning in history (PDF), ADRAD was placed on the roof of the newly built Eller O&M Building in 1973. Over the intervening years, ADRAD has been upgraded with Doppler capability, digitized components and signal processors, and more advanced display capabilities.

ADRAD is a prominent part of ATMO 443, an upper-level undergraduate radar meteorology course, where students learn to operate the radar, observe radar hardware in action, design and implement unique scanning strategies, as well as collect and explore ADRAD data in class assignments and projects. ADRAD has also served as the focal point of the high-impact learning experience, the Student Operational ADRAD Project (SOAP), where ADRAD has been used to provide research data for publications and undergraduate student projects presented at regional and national conferences.

In addition to the educational and research mission of ADRAD, it continues to provide a vital public service through the public dissemination of radar data. When operational, the latest scans and raw data available for realtime viewing and interrogation in external software from ADRAD are available to the public.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Looks like there is a boundary parked over a line from Dripping Springs-Bee Cave-Cedar Park-Round Rock-Georgetown that's just churning out more storms. If you're in that line, you're just getting poured on every 15-30 minutes with intermittent hail.  Still, I'll take the rain at this point.

3 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

That college station cell looks like it’s on a line straight towards me now. Hopefully it peters out a bit over the next hour or so. 

Everything coming from College Station peters out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Looks like there is a boundary parked over a line from Dripping Springs-Bee Cave-Cedar Park-Round Rock-Georgetown that's just churning out more storms. If you're in that line, you're just getting poured on every 15-30 minutes with intermittent hail.  Still, I'll take the rain at this point.

Yep train getting run. But I think round rock seems to be getting the worst of it. 

2 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Yep, had a nice break after the worst part of the storm, went for a walk with the family. We had about 1 1/2 inches of rain at that point. We’ve at least doubled that by now. Definitely wanted it to rain, but could do without all the other stuff.

7 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

That college station cell looks like it’s on a line straight towards me now. Hopefully it peters out a bit over the next hour or so. 

That's fixing to hit Madisonville in a few minutes.  KBTX is reporting a confirmed tornado on the ground again.  That cell is a cranky bitch.

2 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

That's fixing to hit Madisonville in a few minutes.  KBTX is reporting a confirmed tornado on the ground again.  That cell is a cranky bitch.

Yup. My local east Texas station had been focused on the stuff headed towards Tyler but has picked up the Madisonville cell and is watching it now too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

https://atmo.tamu.edu/facilities-resources/adrad/index.html

The Aggie Doppler Radar (ADRAD, formerly the Geo Axis Yoctosecond Digital Access Radar) is the only on-campus S-band, Doppler weather radar in the country, located on the roof of the Eller O&M building with a control station on the 12th floor. TAMU undergraduate and graduate students are trained in hands-on radar operations providing unparalleled undergraduate and graduate student access to a high-quality weather radar system. ADRAD is operated by students during periods of active weather in the area, often serving as a backup observation for local National Weather Service forecast offices.

With hardware components dating over 50 years and new upgrades on a consistent basis, ADRAD represents an evolving link between the rich radar history of our department and our current educational and research goals. Following modifications to a radar which was used in 1956 to provide the first radar-based tornado warning in history (PDF), ADRAD was placed on the roof of the newly built Eller O&M Building in 1973. Over the intervening years, ADRAD has been upgraded with Doppler capability, digitized components and signal processors, and more advanced display capabilities.

ADRAD is a prominent part of ATMO 443, an upper-level undergraduate radar meteorology course, where students learn to operate the radar, observe radar hardware in action, design and implement unique scanning strategies, as well as collect and explore ADRAD data in class assignments and projects. ADRAD has also served as the focal point of the high-impact learning experience, the Student Operational ADRAD Project (SOAP), where ADRAD has been used to provide research data for publications and undergraduate student projects presented at regional and national conferences.

In addition to the educational and research mission of ADRAD, it continues to provide a vital public service through the public dissemination of radar data. When operational, the latest scans and raw data available for realtime viewing and interrogation in external software from ADRAD are available to the public.

iswydt.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4th_and_18 said:

A couple of the chasers on the live stream took a hit. Lost signal. Came back on yelling about getting hit by debris. “The storm is behind us. It’s to the side of us.”

Now, “it’s spinning all around us.” And then lost signal.

Dumbasses.

1 minute ago, Loop 1604 said:

I can’t imagine anything more terrifying than a rain-wrapped wedge tornado tearing through the piney woods…at night. 

Glad everyone got rain today. We barely got shit in SA. Southern Hill Country is a fucking tinderbox.

Roof got taken off the house when I was 9 at 2 am near Longview. It sucks dude.  

• Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

I can’t imagine anything more terrifying than a rain-wrapped wedge tornado tearing through the piney woods…at night. 

Glad everyone got rain today. We barely got shit in SA. Southern Hill Country is a fucking tinderbox.

Sunday before last, I drove back to Austin from West Texas through Llano and it might have looked the driest than I've ever seen it for this time of year -- not a single green blade of grass nor bluebonnet. When I almost got to the S&W hospital on TX-71 outside of Marble Falls, tons of smoke was coming up from the south. I assume it was the Buddy Fire in Blanco County but not sure.

The real tragedy was that it fucked with my sinuses for a couple of days.