2022 Rain Thread

South Austin

1 hour ago, Updawg said:

No shit. Scary

Very scary...unless you have a damn cellphone to film with. But, of course, I imagine finding a basement in New Orleans would be a tad difficult, so I guess you might as well just film it at that point.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Next storm event scheduled for late Tuesday/into Wednesday.  Severe?  Possibly.  Anything approaching within a galaxy of the last event?  No.  That won't happen for 10 years again at least.  Book it.  No, really, book it.

Edited by phdhorn

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Next storm event scheduled for late Tuesday/into Wednesday.  Severe?  Possibly.  Anything approaching within a galaxy of the last event?  No.  That won't happen for 10 years again at least.  Book it.  No, really, book it.

Yeah, I was reading what Avery Tomasco was saying locally that this past week's event had alllll the signals a week out and this one is not that.  

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

Tornadoes are possible in every single state including Alaska and Hawaii. They obviously are more common or frequent in some states, but they can occur anywhere in the United States.

I could bang any supermodel. Obviously some would be more likely than others, but any of them a possibility.

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Commander Crim said he spoke with the driver on the side of the road shortly after the tornado hit.

“I asked if he was okay, and he shook his head and didn’t really answer me,” he said. At that point, Crim had not seen the video yet.

Now I understand why he had a blind stare. I’m sure he was scared to death,” he said. Crim said a woman who identified herself as an off-duty EMT had wrapped the driver’s arm in a bandage.

We’re still working to track down the driver himself. Police said they believe he’s in his late teens or 20s.

The fact he probably couldn't speak English and you are a cop played a factor as well. If that guy is legal, he's sitting on a gold mine of Chevy endorsement cash.

The tornado that touched down inear Arabi Tuesday evening was "at least" an EF3 on the Fujita rating scale, based on the damage it caused, the National Weather Service said Wednesday.

oof.

https://www.nola.com/news/weather/article_938a5514-aac6-11ec-a667-4334268b1658.html?utm_medium=notification&utm_source=pushly&utm_campaign=desktop_push

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

The tornado that touched down inear Arabi Tuesday evening was "at least" an EF3 on the Fujita rating scale, based on the damage it caused, the National Weather Service said Wednesday.

oof.

https://www.nola.com/news/weather/article_938a5514-aac6-11ec-a667-4334268b1658.html?utm_medium=no,tification&utm_source=pushly&utm_campaign=desktop_push

Wouldn't be surprised if it was well up there, even a 4 at points. 

The CentTex tornadoes were as follows, at this point (could change):

NOUS44 KEWX 232152
PNSEWX
TXZ194-241000-

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service Austin/San Antonio TX
452 PM CDT Wed Mar 23 2022

...Preliminary Tornado Information from Surveys...

The following information is preliminary on the tornadoes that
have been confirmed from Monday March 21 in South Central Texas.
More rating and track details are being finalized this week from
additional photos, flyovers, and even drone footage from our
emergency management partners...and detailed Public Information
Statements will be issued. Ground surveys were completed today in
Jarrell and Giddings. Of note is a correction on the Kingsbury
Max wind from an earlier PNS issuance.

Tornado Name         Prelim Max Rating / Max Wind Speed
Jarrell                           EF-1 / 100 MPH
Giddings                          EF-1 /  95 MPH

As we study and look at additional photos, EF ratings could change.

Round Rock might easily get boosted to EF-3, which begins at... wait for it... 136 mph.

On 3/23/2022 at 8:26 AM, phdhorn said:

Sweet, can’t wait for another 0.1” of rain for SA. Take that, stage 4 drought!

Edited by Loop 1604

On 3/23/2022 at 1:03 PM, RPM said:

The fact he probably couldn't speak English and you are a cop played a factor as well. If that guy is legal, he's sitting on a gold mine of Chevy endorsement cash.

It’s such a great story. Honestly. On his way to a job interview at Whataburger…

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/texas/elgin-texas-teen-new-truck-tornado-video/287-ecb883a2-4008-4cce-a975-455091b84b3f

i feel so old watching that clip. Forgetting what it feels like to be fucking fearless.

9 hours ago, RPM said:

Bruce Lowrie Chevrolet in Fort Worth is gifting him a 2022 Silverado (and he got the job at Whataburger).

Good for him!  Poor kid deserves it.

Although shit if Id've known that I would've driven my '96 Explorer into an F1.  Of course, not sure what they'd give an old white guy but I can fake like I don't speak English if that helps.

13 hours ago, RPM said:

Bruce Lowrie Chevrolet in Fort Worth is gifting him a 2022 Silverado (and he got the job at Whataburger).

Well, he ain't going be be able to use the "my truck got picked up by a tornado" excuse to miss a shift, now.

12 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

What’s baffling is how does the camera never move/lose power?

And is that a cat’s face plastered to the lens for about five seconds at around the :34 mark? (Cat features come into focus at :38.) Probably an illusion, or Whiskers went on one helluva wild ride.

Edited by Vito Andolini
Put the words in the wrong place

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

What’s baffling is how does the camera never move/lose power?

And is that a cat’s face plastered to the lens for about five seconds at around the :34 mark? (Cat features come into focus at :38.) Probably an illusion, or Whiskers went on one helluva wild ride.

Camera was getting its power through the network (CAT5) cabling, so unless the switch the cable ran from was taken off line or destroyed the camera would still receive power.  Shortly before the damage occurred, the power went out, but the camera was still recording; meaning, there was a UPS the switch was attached to.  Plus, the footage made its way back to whatever server they are using to store their video, so their entire network pathway was not destroyed or powered down from that camera upstream.

Tornados do funny things; we've all seen photos of homes destroyed, but 2 walls left standing, with pictures intact and whatnot.

• Hook 'Em 1