Hostage Situation at Colleyville Synagogue

RDCanecutter

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Dude, I grew up in the north part of Garland.  Bigggggg suburb. I went to a fairly wealthy public high school 20+ years ago that had impressive amounts of Indian and Pakistani students, Hispanic students of various origin, East Asian Students of all origin, etc.  Probably more exaggerated than the current US census.  I drove by a Sikh temple and a Vietnamese Buddhist temple on my way to school every day.   “Those people” were just as likely to stay at my house on Friday night as my buddies on the football team if we had been out and running and needed to crash.  You don’t have the place to assume or lecture me about cultural shit in the burbs

Congratulations. 

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Dude, I grew up in the north part of Garland.  Bigggggg suburb. I went to a fairly wealthy public high school 20+ years ago that had impressive amounts of Indian and Pakistani students, Hispanic students of various origin, East Asian Students of all origin, etc.  Probably more exaggerated than the current US census.  I drove by a Sikh temple and a Vietnamese Buddhist temple on my way to school every day.   “Those people” were just as likely to stay at my house on Friday night as my buddies on the football team if we had been out and running and needed to crash.  You don’t have the place to assume or lecture me about cultural shit in the burbs

What the fuck is this shit?   I knew a black guy, a dot, and a chink so we all good in the hood.   

• Fuck You 5

5 hours ago, bolverk said:

He, like many other middle-aged white men who live in Texas suburbs, just has a woe-is-me victim complex, because they feel like they can never catch a break in America. Their plight is all the fault of the big bad meanie "media."

No show of support or concern for the hostages in his first post - just thinly veiled political commentary. To quote another poster above: "Getting really tired of little dick motherfuckers blaming Jews the media for their problems."

Those poor people are going on six hours of being held hostage right now.

Every rabbi I have ever met has been really cool.

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Relax, dude.  I'm not lecturing you.

You placed a cryptic comment in response to something I posted.  I explained my metroplex bona fides and what I don't like about what seems to be brewing in the outer burbs.

I'm not some Austin or Houston dick randomly slagging DFW, as is common around here.

But we have a lot of fuckheads in the outer burbs.  https://www.axios.com/local/dallas/2022/01/05/jan-6-insurrectionists-arrested-north-texas

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Colleyville, Southlake Keller etc are all “close in” burbs. Hell those places are as close to downtown Dallas as places like Allen, Frisco etc….much less how close they are to downtown Fort Worth

Burbs. Absolutely. Outer burbs….not in this metroplex. Not even close.

Dude.

I don't consider Allen a close-in burb.  Garland, Richardson, Plano are close-in.  Farmers Branch is too, along with Irving, but they seem to have quite a bit in common with the recent-farmland burbs.

Basically, if it's adjacent to the City, it's close in, if it's one or more removed, it's not, according to my calculus.

I know you live out there, and the airline burbs don't seem to be as bad as some of them.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

You and your reality and silly facts.

The fact is that the Dallas Field Office of the FBI has arrested more 1/6 rioters, 60, than any other in the nation.  Nearly 10% of those charged.

And, while some of them are mere fucking idiot cunts like Jenna Ryan, a pretty good chunk of them are violent, ragey assholes that are charged with felonies, like Stewart Rhodes.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Houstonian who doesn't hate Dallas here....not even the Cowboys. I am old enough to remember a time when Texas solidarity trumped Dallas vs Houston shitflinging, though usually, I have to admit Houston picks the fights. And then Dallas acts like Houston never even crosses their mind, thereby pissing off Houstonians more, and blah blah blah.

All of that is by way of saying this -- objectively, the outer rings of Dallas suburbs are full of some of the worst people in America. It's the ragged edge of the American dream where one blown out tire can send you from your McMansion back to the trailer park, so you've got all these undereducated and overly "Christian," terrified and angry white people doing terrified and angry and "Christian" white people things.

Which is different from Houston in that we kind of go straight from solid middle class to trailer parks and Piney Woods hovels. We don't have that in between slot of Jenna Ryans to the point where she's a type down here. Thirty or 40 years ago we did but that kind seems to have fled the entire region since Houston got all hyperdiverse. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, ATexanAbroad said:

So what’s the story on the hostage taker, any news released about him?

You wanna hear about that or who is most sensitive to their suburban neighbors?

FYI, update on that ABC news link. Not literally Siddiqui’s brother apparently. 

Editor's Note: This story previously said the hostage-taker claimed to be Aafia Siddiqui's brother. Her brother’s lawyer, John Floyd, told ABC News by phone that his client is in Houston and he relayed that information to law enforcement.

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Houstonian who doesn't hate Dallas here....not even the Cowboys. I am old enough to remember a time when Texas solidarity trumped Dallas vs Houston shitflinging, though usually, I have to admit Houston picks the fights. And then Dallas acts like Houston never even crosses their mind, thereby pissing off Houstonians more, and blah blah blah.

All of that is by way of saying this -- objectively, the outer rings of Dallas suburbs are full of some of the worst people in America. It's the ragged edge of the American dream where one blown out tire can send you from your McMansion back to the trailer park, so you've got all these undereducated and overly "Christian," terrified and angry white people doing terrified and angry and "Christian" white people things.

Which is different from Houston in that we kind of go straight from solid middle class to trailer parks and Piney Woods hovels. We don't have that in between slot of Jenna Ryans to the point where she's a type down here. Thirty or 40 years ago we did but that kind seems to have fled the entire region since Houston got all hyperdiverse. 

I can't speak to Houston, having not had a half-century of up-close study, but I think your re-characterization of of the "$30k millionaire" stereotype is heading toward spot on.  They might not actually be that close to ruin, and maybe should actually be pretty grateful for having overachieved parts of the "American dream," at least the materialistic aspect of it.  Maybe it's the hour long commutes that has them so full of grievance.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I can't speak to Houston, having not had a half-century of up-close study, but I think your re-characterization of of the "$30k millionaire" stereotype is heading toward spot on.  They might not actually be that close to ruin, and maybe should actually be pretty grateful for having overachieved parts of the "American dream," at least the materialistic aspect of it.  Maybe it's the hour long commutes that has them so full of grievance.

Had a client many years ago that offered residential electrical contracting services in D/FW that intentionally avoided what I assumed were some of the wealthier suburbs (exburbs?) north of Dallas. I asked why, he said “you go in to do $1,000 worth of work on a 4,000 Sqft house and they don’t have enough money to pay for the work.”

That was eye-opening.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

FYI, update on that ABC news link. Not literally Siddiqui’s brother apparently. 

Who are these non-public figures who have legal representatives speaking for their whereabouts?

Is that not weird to anyone else?

Edited by slorch

13 minutes ago, slorch said:

Who are these non-public figures who have legal representatives speaking for their whereabouts?

Is that not weird to anyone else?

Between trying to get Siddiqui "extradited" to Pakistan and suspicion, warranted or otherwise, directed at her family members, it's probably not all that surprising that they have lawyers.

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The $30k millionaire has felt like a Houston/Texas stereotype of Dallas for a while

• Like 1

Just now, Js1 said:

The $30k millionaire has felt like a Houston/Texas stereotype of Dallas for a while

Yeah, it's old, 30 years, easy, as evidenced by the $30k and millionaire.  And it used to apply to inner-burb (Addison) types living a flamboyant, douchey lifestyle.

Come to think of if though, the $30k millionaires are now in their 40s and 50s and that may be exactly who we're talking about.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, it's old, 30 years, easy, as evidenced by the $30k and millionaire.  And it used to apply to inner-burb (Addison) types living a flamboyant, douchey lifestyle.

Come to think of if though, the $30k millionaires are now in their 40s and 50s and that may be exactly who we're talking about.

Yeah I think it is -- they come originally from the small Texas towns outside of the Metroplex -- Ennis, Terrell, Greenville, Kaufman, etc., and Oklahoma and spent the Aughts in ultralounges in shared Addison condos blowing several potential down payments on bottle service and leased shitty BMWs and now they are reaping the whirlwind living paycheck to paycheck in Prosper, trying to wring the last value out of their marketing degrees from Tarleton St and TAMU-Commerce. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah I think it is -- they come originally from the small Texas towns outside of the Metroplex -- Ennis, Terrell, Greenville, Kaufman, etc., and Oklahoma and spent the Aughts in ultralounges in shared Addison condos blowing several potential down payments on bottle service and leased shitty BMWs and now they are reaping the whirlwind living paycheck to paycheck in Prosper, trying to wring the last value out of their marketing degrees from Tarleton St and TAMU-Commerce. 

48 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Lotta time to listen to AM radio and get real mad about stuff that doesn't affect you

You just described my childhood best friend to a T. Grew up in Paris, lives in Prosper, long commute every day to his IT job, has become a right wing gun nut in the last decade. Also became an anti-vaxxer before Covid. 

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

God damn the accuracy of this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Don’t fool yourself. Drive up towards Conroe/Magnolia. In Austin, drive out to some edges of Round Rock, or far Lake Travis. All Texas urban areas have that dynamic to some degree. But you’re right that DFW is their Mecca.

And I hadn’t thought about it, but there’s a lot to the “long commute and right wing radio gives em 2 hours a day to be radicalized.” Shit, even in Austin, I used to listen to the KLBJ AM morning show. I liked it because it was local news and weather, and they’d talk about local people and stories. This was maybe 20 years ago, and my commute has never been more than about 20 mins. But over time, the show got more and more Rush-ish, and when I checked it out for some local story a few years ago (I listen to NPR now and have for quite a while) holy shit - it’s gone full-on hard right wing talk radio. That must be where the listeners are, because radio follows the money.

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Dude.

I don't consider Allen a close-in burb.  Garland, Richardson, Plano are close-in.  Farmers Branch is too, along with Irving, but they seem to have quite a bit in common with the recent-farmland burbs.

Basically, if it's adjacent to the City, it's close in, if it's one or more removed, it's not, according to my calculus.

I know you live out there, and the airline burbs don't seem to be as bad as some of them.

My point wasn't that Allen was a close in burb it was that those places even though they are in Tarrant County and so one would assume more anchored to FW are as close to Dallas as those more typically associated with Dallas.   

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

You just described my childhood best friend to a T. Grew up in Paris, lives in Prosper, long commute every day to his IT job, has become a right wing gun nut in the last decade. Also became an anti-vaxxer before Covid. 

There’s a podcast for literally every topic on the planet, audiobooks galore and with Spotify, pandora, XM, iheart radio, Apple Music, Amazon music…. Going out of your way to listen to AM talk radio is so fucking dumb. 

Edited by Js1

Yeah my cousin out in Hays County, drives all over Austin with his sales guys to close deals, and whenever he starts with a sentence with, "So we were listening to 590 at lunch the other day, did you know that......." I just stop him right there.  And show him how to find podcasts of interest to him.  

When I was "coming up" in my 20's and even 30's...I would listen to business gurus, marketing experts, Brian Tracy, Good to Great on tape, all that kinda crap in the car to focus on work.  Then just dropped it all cold turkey when satellite radio got big and would listen to the Dead channel and Classic Vinyl and the new Beatles channel.  I have too much ADD to listen to podcasts, but I'm hooked on Raw Dog & Comedy Central Radio.  There's some misses in there, but it usually gets me laughing damn hard (even if I've heard the bits before).  Bennington in the mornings if I'm driving early enough.  I can literally feel my breathing and heart rate improving at red lights because of what the laughter does to my physiology.  Before there was self-help bullshit and "the Secret" and Tony Robbins on tape and AM hate-filled radio and even Jeff Ward who I love and miss, the human body came pre-loaded with its own drug-distribution system, laughter.  

The next time you're driving around DFW worried about what Brown people in North Georgia are doing right now, spin the dial over to a comedy channel, even the shitty one with Jeff & Larry.  I promise you that the laughs will bring you greater joy than hate.  

Yeah my cousin out in Hays County, drives all over Austin with his sales guys to close deals, and whenever he starts with a sentence with, "So we were listening to 590 at lunch the other day, did you know that......." I just stop him right there.  And show him how to find podcasts of interest to him.  
When I was "coming up" in my 20's and even 30's...I would listen to business gurus, marketing experts, Brian Tracy, Good to Great on tape, all that kinda crap in the car to focus on work.  Then just dropped it all cold turkey when satellite radio got big and would listen to the Dead channel and Classic Vinyl and the new Beatles channel.  I have too much ADD to listen to podcasts, but I'm hooked on Raw Dog & Comedy Central Radio.  There's some misses in there, but it usually gets me laughing damn hard (even if I've heard the bits before).  Bennington in the mornings if I'm driving early enough.  I can literally feel my breathing and heart rate improving at red lights because of what the laughter does to my physiology.  Before there was self-help bullshit and "the Secret" and Tony Robbins on tape and AM hate-filled radio and even Jeff Ward who I love and miss, the human body came pre-loaded with its own drug-distribution system, laughter.  
The next time you're driving around DFW worried about what Brown people in North Georgia are doing right now, spin the dial over to a comedy channel, even the shitty one with Jeff & Larry.  I promise you that the laughs will bring you greater joy than hate.  

You know what car radios need? A way to show you boobs.

No man is in a bad mood after seeing some boobs.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

And I hadn’t thought about it, but there’s a lot to the “long commute and right wing radio gives em 2 hours a day to be radicalized.” Shit, even in Austin, I used to listen to the KLBJ AM morning show. I liked it because it was local news and weather, and they’d talk about local people and stories. This was maybe 20 years ago, and my commute has never been more than about 20 mins. But over time, the show got more and more Rush-ish, and when I checked it out for some local story a few years ago (I listen to NPR now and have for quite a while) holy shit - it’s gone full-on hard right wing talk radio. That must be where the listeners are, because radio follows the money.

Dale Dudley was a well known democrat who had basically the same show for 35 years until his contract wasn't renewed this year. Here is his twitter: https://twitter.com/daledudley . I don't listen to morning shows, though. They bore me.

Edited by Bevo

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Don’t fool yourself. Drive up towards Conroe/Magnolia. In Austin, drive out to some edges of Round Rock, or far Lake Travis. All Texas urban areas have that dynamic to some degree. But you’re right that DFW is their Mecca.

I think part of it is the spread of Houston has been over a longer period of time and more massive than Dallas, which has been more recent and probably into more rural and less-populated areas, making the culture clash sharper.

When I was in school in the late 80s, Plano was really east Jesus.  I had a friend that lived near Southfork ranch and we considered that the fucking boonies.  Allen?  McKinney?  Frisco?  Further out?  Pfft.

Yet, at that time, The Woodlands was in full effect and remains probably the outermost Houston burb?

But yeah, there are areas all over the state where the urban and rural and mixing and creating a weird, toxic stew.

Edited by TwiceHorn

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The fact is that the Dallas Field Office of the FBI has arrested more 1/6 rioters, 60, than any other in the nation.  Nearly 10% of those charged.

And, while some of them are mere fucking idiot cunts like Jenna Ryan, a pretty good chunk of them are violent, ragey assholes that are charged with felonies, like Stewart Rhodes.

No sure this is the "Go Cops" thread but okay. They did good on July 7, 2016, too if you're thinking about signing up? Maybe wrong thread?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

This reminds me so much of Forney. I own a rental property there so I check in on the happenings every once in a while. Miserable people who hate their lives. They'll bitch about a 10 minute drive to Walmart and speak at city council meetings telling landowners to stop selling property to developers. But the cherry on top is that the loudest people are always the most recent to move there. "I'm here so let's shut the city down". I volunteered to block walk for a friend of mine running for office. Never again lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1