AFC Divisional Round: Bengals @ Titans, CBS

shadow_operative2.0

1 minute ago, Pam Cummings said:

Joe Burrow is a bad bad man. Sacked 9 times today and finds his stud receiver for a huge play when they needed it the most. Thats a top tier QB.

Cincy gotta strategize their pass blocking. They are smaller, so they need to roll out Joe to give him breathing room.

Just now, Auto Driller said:

Had Tennessee taken the XP to start the game they would have been running the ball to kill the clock on that final drive and Tannehill never would have had a chance to turn it over. These coaches really overthink things.

yup, never go for 2 unless absolutely necessary. Going for that in H1 is idiotic.  Too much analytics in sports these days, takes away from common sense. 

Had Tennessee taken the XP to start the game they would have been running the ball to kill the clock on that final drive and Tannehill never would have had a chance to turn it over. These coaches really overthink things.

Need 1 yard with a freight train rb or a 37 yard non gimme XP?

I can’t blame him…but damn if they’d mix it up besides just giving it to Henry with defenses absolute keying on him isn’t always going to work.

But then you
Expect tanny to make a play and yea

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:
2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:
Bills/KC:  Who does Cincy have better chance to beat?

Neither.

Yeah, this is most likely their apex for the season. The future is bright for them with Burrow if they learned anything about what they need to go further (build around Burrow).

i think a lot of people had Justin Herbert as the surefire #1 in a 2020 NFL re-draft, with Burrow as the second QB (with Tua a non-factor).  Burrow is saying not so fast.  Herbert is freakishly talented, but you can tell Burrow has that "it" leadership factor, plus the skillset.

I’d be happy with either on the Vikings. Post brady/Rodgers the nfl has some nice qbs on the mend

6 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

No idea how this team has a good record every year with Tanny.  What a great fukin coaching staff in reg season. Must be nice. 

Plug in a Russell Wilson and this team is a real threat. 

They get to play Houston and Jacksonville twice every season. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Yeah, this is most likely their apex for the season. The future is bright for them with Burrow if they learned anything about what they need to go further (build around Burrow).

Hopefully Burrow can finish this season without injury.  Watching Joe constantly get hit today was like "David Carr" scary...

NOT GOOD

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Need 1 yard with a freight train rb or a 37 yard non gimme XP?

I can’t blame him…but damn if they’d mix it up besides just giving it to Henry with defenses absolute keying on him isn’t always going to work.

But then you
Expect tanny to make a play and yea

XP are 33 yards. LOS is the 15.

The issue with analytics is that they are true **assuming** a very large sample set. The outcome your one shot at the goal line is not driven by the 40 year data set on which the statistics are based. 

More importantly, the analytics tell you what to do in that situation in isolation. I.e. the expected points for going for 2 there were 1.01 vs 0.99 for XP, so go for it right? No. You can’t possibly predict the effect that the missed conversion will have on subsequent game situations (or the make, for that matter). Tennessee almost certainly wins the game by taking the XP in this game, and no analytics will ever be able to comprehend this level of complexity.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, RamjetFDO said:

The post-game crew is really dumping on Trannyhill.

Why not? He clearly cost them the game. He was bad.

edit: also, please do not offend transsexuals by comparing them to aggies

Edited by Rimbo
  • Haha 1

i think a lot of people had Justin Herbert as the surefire #1 in a 2020 NFL re-draft, with Burrow as the second QB (with Tua a non-factor).  Burrow is saying not so fast.  Herbert is freakishly talented, but you can tell Burrow has that "it" leadership factor, plus the skillset.

Maybe.

But the K made two 50 yarders. The D got 3 picks including one taking points away and another giving them a chance.

And you know why the Bengals Oline isn’t great? Cause they invest in skill players.

Burrow will get the hype, but he wasn’t particularly special today. He may be. My guess is they’ll invest in Oline at the expense of defense. We’ll see.

17 minutes ago, RPM said:

Cincy gotta strategize their pass blocking. They are smaller, so they need to roll out Joe to give him breathing room.

They said it during the game.  It's not necessarily the blocking, but it's not having any hot routes by the backs/ slot WRs/ TEs.  On one of those sacks in the 4th quarter, the Titans rushed6, all 5 OL blocked their guy, Burrow made 6th guy miss and then another defender got him.  Where the F was the hot read?

21 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Joe Burrow is a bad bad man. Sacked 9 times today and finds his stud receiver for a huge play when they needed it the most. Thats a top tier QB.

That's also a recipe for getting your qb injured--whether he held the ball too long or not, that's a great way to shorten his career.  

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I don’t think KC has the same defense as Tennessee has either at least up front

Yeah I’m not ready to write Cincy off in the AFC title game yet. They just knocked off the 1 seed on the road with their QB getting dumped 9 times. Anything better than that OL performance could make their next game interesting. Burrow effect. That said, they will still need a lot of good fortune.

17 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

XP are 33 yards. LOS is the 15.

The issue with analytics is that they are true **assuming** a very large sample set. The outcome your one shot at the goal line is not driven by the 40 year data set on which the statistics are based. 

More importantly, the analytics tell you what to do in that situation in isolation. I.e. the expected points for going for 2 there were 1.01 vs 0.99 for XP, so go for it right? No. You can’t possibly predict the effect that the missed conversion will have on subsequent game situations (or the make, for that matter). Tennessee almost certainly wins the game by taking the XP in this game, and no analytics will ever be able to comprehend this level of complexity.

Exactly. It's like rarely bunting in baseball, and then still not bunting in situations that are just screaming for a bunt, like extra innings with a man on 2B & no outs.

18 minutes ago, Deej said:

They get to play Houston and Jacksonville twice every season. 

Lol agreed. Texans did win once this season. But (my sad) cowboys played 6 easy conference games this year with all their starters, yet Tenn had no lead RB or WRs most the season and still locked up overall #1 somehow.  Just sayin Vrabel and his staff did great. The team set a record for most players starting this season due to injuries etc. I’m just jealous of such a coach staff…

They said it during the game.  It's not necessarily the blocking, but it's not having any hot routes by the backs/ slot WRs/ TEs.  On one of those sacks in the 4th quarter, the Titans rushed6, all 5 OL blocked their guy, Burrow made 6th guy miss and then another defender got him.  Where the F was the hot read?

You don’t necessarily need hot routes, or at least my definition of them. You’ve got man to man coverage. Pick one and let it fly rather than waiting for them to come open.

That’s not to say hot routes aren’t easier throws and the preferred choice. They are.

If you’re talking incompletion or sack, then often that’s on the QB when it’s a sack. A few of those sacks were on Burrow hoping he can something of nothing.

20 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

he was awful

if Tenn had a QB who was merely average, and not a dumb aggy, they win this game

Also, you can't tell me they don't win if they give D'onta the ball more

Yep. Esp on that 4th & 1.

And fuck Tannehill and aggy.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fucking Vrabel abortion. 6 minutes left, you need a yard with 2 downs to move on and ice the game. 

You have a 225 lb QB against an overmatched defensive line. Let me guess, put him under center, go low and you have the first down.

No, let's line him up 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage with a RB 8 yards behind the LOS and give the defense a fighting chance to make a play. Don't give a shit if it's Derek Henry, Jim Brown or anyone else. Overthinking things and idiocy at its finest. 

Stupidity at its finest.   And you're staying at home Vrabel, fucking idiot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, YChang said:

Sorry? I guess I’m not really clear what you were saying. I’m assuming you meant you wanted a young stud QB and you were dissatisfied with Tannehill‘s play? 

Yes we got rid of our young QB’s Young and Mariota  for older back-ups Collins and Tannerhill and it puts us back as a franchise . . They have one good season but never do anything in the playoffs