Chris Beard is not going to take your shit

shadow_operative

I like beard came back out. We need a coach that talks shit. All the other ones that “walk away” have been complete vaginas and I could give two shits about public perception. If he had come back out and thrown a chair or tried to fight him then I get it but just responding is fine and no big deal. Plus fuck ou. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I like beard came back out. We need a coach that talks shit. All the other ones that “walk away” have been complete vaginas and I could give two shits about public perception. If he had come back out and thrown a chair or tried to fight him then I get it but just responding is fine and no big deal. Plus fuck ou. 

Also, it didn’t make sense. An OU fan calling him a traitor? Was Porter Moser a traitor for leaving Loyola Chicago? Just a douchebag kid feeling like he could just yell whatever he wanted to a celebrity he doesn’t know for shits and giggles. Then turns pasty white when he’s actually called out. 

The downside is that it’s a known thing if you want to rattle Chris Beard, call him a traitor. But he can develop thicker skin another day. Today (well, yesterday, technically) he made a punk slink away with his tail between his legs because he felt entitled to yell whatever he wanted at another human being until he was suddenly confronted with that said human being right in front of him calling him out. 

I like it. 

• Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Kid was definitely soft. If I was Beard I would have just walked away, tbh. 

Yeah, you don't dignify something like that with a response. Or if you do, you own it, lean into it, show dominance. Getting defensive is the worst possible response.

Hopefully someone in Texas' PR dept (we do have one, right?) will find out about this and have a few words with Beard.

See, a much better response would be, with a huge grin, "Having trouble dealing with being swept, aren't ya?" But it's a lot easier to come up with snappy responses outside of the heat of the moment. Which is why no response is the best response most of the time.

Edited by Rimbo

12 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Chris Beard is the wrong one.

Nah. Little douche canoe went on twitter and kept running his mouth afterward too. 

Beard needs to ignore next time but it’s nice to see a Texas coach show some actual emotion and fire (looking at you Sark). Winning is all that matters.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Wreaks of that clown Brown calling the fan during the week of the OU game years back. 

Not at all. This was Beard taking five seconds to shut up a sooner fuckstick. Mack called a Texas alum, a few days prior to Texas/OU, and read him the riot act because he said something negative about the program to a reporter. I see no similarities. 

• Hook 'Em 6

19 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Wreaks of that clown Brown calling the fan during the week of the OU game years back. 

Focus on the team / games. Leave the clowns and other peripheral bullshit to whatever version we have of Ol Freak Nasty now in Bellmont. Surely we still have one employed. 

I don’t see it being the same at all. Edit - @Red Five addressed it already. 

There was nothing about Beard that was seeking this kid’s approval. He simply wanted to find out if the kid making cat calls as he was leaving the arena would stand by his words when directly confronted. He got his answer and walked out. 

Beard will have to learn to pick his battles. But we’ve already seen him endure more abuse in Lubbock than pretty much any coach we’ve ever had. He’ll be fine. 

I feel like there’s a bunch of you who are overly sensitive who aren’t capable of calling out poor behavior when you see it. Maybe that’s projection on my part. I’m just not a great turn the other cheek kind of guy. 

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Not at all. This was Beard taking five seconds to shut up a sooner fuckstick. Mack called a Texas alum, a few days prior to Texas/OU, and read him the riot act because he said something negative about the program to a reporter. I see no similarities. 

Both instances involve people trying to get under the skin of the coaches and the douches won in both cases.  

We'll disagree. I love Beard and nothing short of it. This thing doesn't change it.

Beard definitely seems to have some pettiness-bordering-on-thin-skinness to him. He really should not engage fans like that though - it could turn ugly real quick (not because of Beard, but opposign fans). 

It's a nothingburger, but meh. Just ignore everyone. This will just make opposing voices louder because it shows you can get under his skin pretty easily. Net negative. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I don’t see it being the same at all. Mack Brown was constantly seeking the approval of EVERYONE. He couldn’t help himself. That’s what that phone call was about. 

There was nothing about Beard that was seeking this kid’s approval. He simply wanted to find out if the kid making cat calls as he was leaving the arena would stand by his words when directly confronted. He got his answer and walked out. 

Beard will have to learn to pick his battles. But we’ve already seen him endure more abuse in Lubbock than pretty much any coach we’ve ever had. He’ll be fine. 

I feel like there’s a bunch of you who are overly sensitive who aren’t capable of calling out poor behavior when you see it. Maybe that’s projection on my part. I’m just not a great turn the other cheek kind of guy. 

This reminds me of my experience at the KU football game this past season. Had a couple of douchey, drunk KU frat dudes in front of us that were throwing the Horns down after every KU score (which was more than a few). Now normally, a simple fun loving Horns down doesn’t bother me. But these guys were turning around making eye contact with me and everyone else with the smuggest of looks on their face. Well, after a few scores me and another guy finally confronted them. They weren’t so cool then. Their girlfriends were horrified and they all ended up moving somewhere else. But I was shocked at how many Horns fans around us were goofing it up with these guys and even telling us to calm down. These dudes weren’t having fun…they were drunk, straight up taunting, and acting like assholes. 99% of the time I let milder forms of this go with no sweat, but this was different. Still disappointed in some of those lames sitting around us.

I don’t see what Beard did as thin-skinned or wrong at all. He simply picked one moment to challenge the guy in a non-threatening manner. I thought it was pretty awesome.

Edited by CowtownHorn

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I like it. 

I’m tired of the “We’re Texas, we don’t do that” type attitude that’s infested this fan base and athletic department for too long.  I want more of the “We’re Texas, we aren’t going to take your shit.”

Beard walking away = Texas country club

Beard coming back = We are Texas, and we are here to fuck you up.  Don’t forget it. We won’t be punked, bitchass bitch. 

Agree 💯

Edited by CowtownHorn

People are uncomfortable with confrontation. The problem with being nicey nice all the time, or turning the cheek when accosted by boorish behavior, is you’ve now allowed the jerk/jerks to feel even more entitled. 

I haven’t been an asshole in visiting stadiums often. Under those circumstances I try to be a good sport as a guest fan while still rooting on my team. The only exception I can think of was when Vince Young came to Houston with the Titans in his rookie year and I got a ticket at the last minute to be a part of it. I did my thing where I cheered him on, and got huge amounts of shit for it. Gladly gave it right back and was exultant in my obnoxiousness when he ran the quarterback draw for the winning points in overtime. Probably should have had my ass kicked, frankly. But I felt like the people around me started it. 

In any case, walking away from people being assholes tends to make assholes feel like they can do whatever they want whenever they want. And the enablers who shake their head in disappointment that someone isn’t willing to put up with the shit are just as big of a problem. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'm now not sure we're even talking about the same thing. 

We are. I don't think the guy in the NY Times article was directly trying to  provoke Brown via criticism of the program. Doesn't matter. Brown ended up confronting the guy on something he should have just let go. Beard went and confronted an idiot when provoked, for a different reason. But he still confronted the guy. 

Some of you are glad Beard did what he did. Others would have preferred he just moved on.  We'll disagree and can just call it a day. 

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

We are. I don't think the guy in the NY Times article was directly trying to  provoke Brown via criticism of the program. Doesn't matter. Brown ended up confronting the guy on something he should have just let go. Beard went and confronted an idiot when provoked, for a different reason. But he still confronted the guy. 

Some of you are glad Beard did what he did. Others would have preferred he just moved on.  We'll disagree and can just call it a day. 

I Guess If You Say So GIF

Edited by CowtownHorn
  • Haha 1

The dork mouthed off. He asked the dork a question. The dork had no answer. He didn't shove him or invite him outside. He didn't demean him. He could have just let it slide. What he said wasn't wrong or bad. And the dork's response proves he was nothing but an unoriginal sooner who never expected to have to back up his weak bullshit. Fuck that guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wow.  UT has deservedly gotten a reputation for being "soft" over the last few decades, then a coach mildly returns fire and some of you are upset?

Beard will be fine.  There is nothing he can do that will make OU/Tceh/Baylor/A&M hate us more other than winning.  A little verbal putdown means nothing.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

do y'all know how high Beard's adrenaline was running in that moment, *before* the OU dork popped off at him? i think he handled it just about perfectly all things considered. he calmly walked over, looked the kid in the eyes, made his point, then turned around and rejoined his team and forgot all about it within five seconds. i love seeing that, and i'm certain that his players and recruits do too. he's not acting like a half cocked dickhead who is untethered, but he's also not going to let you just run your mouth to him with zero consequences and repercussions. you not just gone take Chris Beard's cornbread. 

I'm sure we won't ever agree on this, but handling it perfectly would be just walking away. Who gives a shit what some pasty Sooner fan says? Especially after you just swept his team. The game speaks for itself.

• Like 2