Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

51 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

There is no chance that the country that controls the global economy as we are re-re-re-demonstrating now loses primacy as the preferred currency. 

BD334991-9413-4-CC3-B64-D-51324-AF9350-B

It’s extremely rare to see such a cocksure, yet historically illiterate post even on this forum. Bravo. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Well to start, we aren’t directly affected at all. So there’s no laying back and enjoying it. There’s always the option of being more Case McCoy in all of this. 

Im not sure of the right answers now but I think in hindsight nudging Ukraine into the direction of European influence over years was a bad strategic move.

Whatever your sanctions you want to utilize the fact of the matter is Putin is always going to be willing to go farther than we are with regards to Ukraine. Obama came to that conclusion and it’s correct. 

-Charles Lindbergh, circa 1940

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I once wrote a letter to Putin congratulating him on his re-election.  I can't remember if it was a gun or his cock being held against my head.

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Just so we get it out there in plain language, y'all notice that literally every single position that is in Putin's interest, Immaculate Vibes/GRUHorn carries the banner, and has since he showed up on this board.  Y'all all see that, right?

We see you, GRU.  You think you're clever.  You're not.  You're as stupid and blind as your masters.

And you have others on this board now parroting it, which means it is working. Seriously, there are those in the DT thread that think just giving into Putin's demands at the beginning (no NATO expansion, demilitarization, etc.) and telling the Ukrainians not to fight is the better way (as if we have any right to do that). They don't see that it is exactly what Putin wanted from the beginning. He wanted NATO weakened and internally divided. He probably hoped that more NATO members would seriously consider his demands. He wanted Ukraine defenseless. And as soon as he had all that, he would have still sent in troops as part of police action. And the Ukrainians still would have fought because that is clearly who they are. They just would have been less effective and died a lot quicker. And that victory by Putin would further divide and weaken NATO. 

• Hook 'Em 7

35 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

BD334991-9413-4-CC3-B64-D-51324-AF9350-B

It’s extremely rare to see such a cocksure, yet historically illiterate post even on this forum. Bravo. 

since the US became the world's reserve currency, we've seen the rise of Japan (80s), the creation of the supercurrency Euro (90s) and the rise of China (now).  Somehow we've survived.  I imagine we will survive the 'uncertainty' we're introducing into the market through the use of sanctions that everyone on the globe is on board with.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

There is no chance that the country that controls the global economy as we are re-re-re-demonstrating now loses primacy as the preferred currency. 

I venture to guess that just about every country using the USD as described supports the sanctions on Russia due to Russia's commitment of mass slaughter tactics during an unprovoked invasion. 

If other countries contemplate launching a massive ground attack on a neighbor and conduct same with absolute disregard of life or the rules of war, I expect they should do as you Immaculate Vibes says. I hardly think their number is large if it exists at all.

Lastly, this sounds like Immaculate Vibes and those like Immaculate Vibes are staking out ground for a future attack on Biden's policies. I'm ignorant as to the immediate fate of the dollar. I've read the Saudis hold a great deal of sway with us because of their commitment to the USD. The dollar may suffer for many reasons; I suspect Immaculate Vibes will go full post hoc ergo propter hoc to spray the lie that it's the result of Biden's response to this crisis.

It looks like Immaculate Vibes may not have got the memo to boost one's credibility with a new standard opening: I hate Biden, but I'm glad he won...

Russian warship, go......Immaculate Vibes knows the rest.

Edited by RomaVicta
Corrected from second person to third. Apologies to The Underminer for first version.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

I venture to guess that just about every country using the USD as described supports the sanctions on Russia due to Russia's commitment of mass slaughter tactics during an unprovoked invasion. 

If other countries contemplate launching a massive ground attack on a neighbor and conduct same with absolute disregard of life or the rules of war, I expect they should do as you say. I hardly think their number is large if it exists at all.

Lastly, this sounds like you and those like you are staking out ground for a future attack on Biden's policies. I'm ignorant as to the immediate fate of the dollar. I've read the Saudis hold a great deal of sway with us because of their commitment to the USD. The dollar may suffer for many reasons; I suspect you will go full post hoc ergo propter hoc to spray the lie that it's the result of Biden's response to this crisis.

It looks like you may not have got the memo to boost your credibility with a new standard opening: I hate Biden, but I'm glad he won...

Russian warship, go......you know the rest.

I think you meant to quote IV and not me.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Just so we get it out there in plain language, y'all notice that literally every single position that is in Putin's interest, Immaculate Vibes/GRUHorn carries the banner, and has since he showed up on this board.  Y'all all see that, right?

We see you, GRU.  You think you're clever.  You're not.  You're as stupid and blind as your masters.

My masters? Cmon. 

Disagreeing with any policies we have is not inherently pro-Putin. Speaking of propaganda, much of this board has been propagandized to think just that. Simplistic. 

Here’s a policy disagreement I have with our leaders here and in the West that is decidedly anti-Russia/Putin. 

The US and Western Europe should/should have maintained/pursued energy independence. If we’re not reliant on Russia for energy then he has less leverage geopolitically and his country is poorer. I would like that specifically. Weaken Russia while strengthening ourselves versus weakening Russia while weakening ourselves via undermining the USD. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

We're reliant on Russia for energy? News to me.  600,000 bbd?  It's 3% of our daily usage.  That's nothing.  We've already made up that shortfall and then some.  We buy it for economic stability purposes, as a show of geopolitical good faith---same reason they sell it to us.  Plus it keeps a couple of our refineries happy since some are geared for their type of specific crude and provides a few hundred jobs.  You think cutting off that 600k barrels was gonna stabilize Ukraine/NATO?  

13 hours ago, Nivek said:

Which way does the wind blow?

Toward Russia.

And this isn’t really relevant, not like when I posted Jesus Thinks You’re A Jerk in response to Pat Robertson opening up his pie hole. And you should know that I resist the urge to post Frank Zappa tunes way more often than I actually post them. But it’s Friday and I’m in the mood so I’m going to indulge strictly for my own amusement. From his 1966 debut album:

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We're reliant on Russia for energy? News to me.  600,000 bbd?  It's 3% of our daily usage.  That's nothing.  We've already made up that shortfall and then some.  We buy it for economic stability purposes, as a show of geopolitical good faith---same reason they sell it to us.  Plus it keeps a couple of our refineries happy since some are geared for their type of specific crude and provides a few hundred jobs.  You think cutting off that 600k barrels was gonna stabilize Ukraine/NATO?  

Mainly discussing Europe, but every bit we could do helps. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Lol, no. Trump would have withdrawn the US from NATO and would be on TV talking about "denazification" because he's a piece of shit and a puppet. Russia would have taken Ukraine in a day.

This. Dotard would be sanctioning Zelensky or something like that.

2 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

My masters? Cmon. 

Disagreeing with any policies we have is not inherently pro-Putin. Speaking of propaganda, much of this board has been propagandized to think just that. Simplistic. 

Here’s a policy disagreement I have with our leaders here and in the West that is decidedly anti-Russia/Putin. 

The US and Western Europe should/should have maintained/pursued energy independence. If we’re not reliant on Russia for energy then he has less leverage geopolitically and his country is poorer. I would like that specifically. Weaken Russia while strengthening ourselves versus weakening Russia while weakening ourselves via undermining the USD. 

This is a crock of shit talking point directly from Fox news and the Rs. We were NEVER energy independent in the last 50 years. The US imports about 75% of the oil it consumes, but that varies slightly year to year. 

Producing more oil than you import does NOT make you independent, that's not how it works. Oil makes up about 40% of our country's energy demand, and we import a lot of it from all over the world. There are a myriad of logistical, geographic and refinery related reasons why it doesn't work like that. We can't just turn up the production and magically use only US drilled oil. 

Removing Russia from the equation shouldn't be too hard, however, that can have a domino effect in global supply as many countries move to displace a sizeable producer. It will drive up costs, it will take time to ramp up production at existing facilities, and increase future O&G development to help reduce future demand. It's a very long process with a lot of moving parts, and heavily relies on OPEC not fucking with the global supply during this process. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Okay.  Your post seemed to indicate just shutting off our oil purchase.  I agree with you though, yes if Europe cut off their CNG and other fuels...that would have made a massive difference.  Come May, Russia is double-fucked.  Hence their plan to deploy a number of low-yield tactical warheads in April.

18 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

My masters? Cmon. 

Y'all pay attention to this.  It's a time-honored tool for "building credibility/deflecting criticism of bias."  It's right up there with "I can't be racist, I have a black friend."

What you do is this: you take a position that is facially in opposition to the bias/loyalty that you are trying to downplay.  It's a strong position, obviously at odds with the side you are accused of favoring.  But look closely -- it will always a be a backwards-looking position -- a criticism of something that happened in the past, and can't be undone in any reasonable timeframe.  It's risk-free criticism.  What is studiously avoided is taking any position that would undermine your side's present position and goals.

Again, GRUhorn thinks he's being clever.  But every tool he's deploying is known and predictable.  It's middle of the road disinformation 101.  It's somewhat effective.  Just calling it out so y'all can see it for what it is.

• Hook 'Em 5

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Right. This was the whole basis for opposition to the Kinder Morgan Pipeline- a private company seizing private citizens' land to build a pipeline for exporting fossil fuels for private profit. 

Actually, McConnell had nothing to do with it. 

Here's their board of trustees.  https://trs.ky.gov/administration/

Quick search on FEC and you can see why they were appointed.  Hint-Governor and Presidential donations.  

The OCIO they use is also in the bag for certain politicians that assured them investments in Russia were a good idea.  

Good news is despite similar pressure being put on TRS/ERS and UTIMCO here in Texas, Russian-based investments are extremely minimal (relatively speaking, keep in mind 50bps is still millions of dollars with portfolios of this size)

B

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The “don’t fuck with me or I end all life on earth” narrative is bullshit.  We just wrecked his economy and frozen his assets, he can try to nuke us anytime he wants. If you think he’s going launch over some pieces of hardware destroyed, I have a bridge to sell you. There’s plenty that can be done. Send drones, planes, a no fly zone shouldn’t be off the table either.  The largest country on earth just invaded the largest country in Europe. It’s naive to think this isn’t going to escalate.  Additionally, we’ve been in battlefield dust-ups with the Russians a few times in recent history, namely Syria, it didn’t lead to nuclear war.  

I just cant imagine how you enforce a no-fly zone without this business getting out of control to the point we'd be lucky to survive it.

26 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

24 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

image.jpeg.f28d66904b7d5e9e34d3c60000191a03.jpeg

spacer.png

WOW! Is this a glimpse at what the GQP omerta is all about? I hope and suspect that journalists for major outlets will dig around other red states. 

Russia used the NRA for direct payments. I don't know why we wouldn't assume other avenues were used as well. In return, public pensions and God knows who else invest fortunes in Russia. 

If it walks like a criminal organization, talks like a criminal organization, and obstructs like a criminal organization, it just may be a criminal organization.

Follow. The. Money. 

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

right now this is the only thread i care about so i'm posting a "don't look up moment" here in case we're vaporized overnight......

50 years ago today. 3 March 72, we launched the first interplanetary probe to deep space, Pioneer 10, the first to investigate the planet Jupiter.   It passed within 200,000 km of Jupiter on 4 December 73, on an escape trajectory from the Solar System and signed off in 2003 on it's way towards Aldebaran, the red eye in the constellation Taurus, which it will reach in 2 million years.

We all know what it will find when it gets there

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

And the Ron Paul Institute favors giving Ukraine to Putin. Shocking I know. 

image.thumb.png.5fc068696063c2db87eaa8a4bf1773f6.png

Funny thing is, Ron Paul i. 2008 may have been the first candidate backed by Russian online trolls: 

https://timeline.com/ron-paul-russia-hacking-e248f87f38f2

Their work also helped spawn the Tea Party movement, which quickly folded back into the Republican party once they realized it helped the Democrats win elections by splintering the Rs. 

52 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Toward Russia.

And this isn’t really relevant, not like when I posted Jesus Thinks You’re A Jerk in response to Pat Robertson opening up his pie hole. And you should know that I resist the urge to post Frank Zappa tunes way more often than I actually post them. But it’s Friday and I’m in the mood so I’m going to indulge strictly for my own amusement. From his 1966 debut album:

You're a weird guy ACE!

Kentucky's gonna Kentucky, but I find it unlikely that most of their TRS was invested in a Russian bank.

EDIT:  and it wasn't.  According to this article, they sold off their small holdings at a loss on 2/23, but even that was a tiny fraction of their $26B portfolio.

$15M out of $26B

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Kentucky's gonna Kentucky, but I find it unlikely that most of their TRS was invested in a Russian bank.

really? do you? have you considered who their fucking Senators are?? Not only does it seem likely but it actually explains a whole fucking lot, if true

8 minutes ago, Nivek said:

You're a weird guy ACE!

Thank you. I take that as a compliment.

Great album, btw. A Bob Weir “solo” album released in ‘72, (Ace was his nickname), it was a de facto Grateful Dead album. It featured a version of the concert staple Playing in the Band that was probably the best studio reproduction of their live improvisational style. The overdubs of Weir’s vocals are a little cheesy but Donna can hear herself in the studio and isn’t all shrieky like she tended to be in live performances during the Wall of Sound era.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

really? do you? have you considered who their fucking Senators are?? Not only does it seem likely but it actually explains a whole fucking lot, if true

Read my edit -- it was a tiny fraction of their total portfolio, if the article is to be believed.

• Hook 'Em 1