Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

36 minutes ago, 4doorsMoreWhores said:

You don't read good

This is what you said

”He’s invading now because he knows Biden is a feeble old man who spouts off like a tough guy behind a microphone, but who in reality is a coward who lacks the spine to take any real action against him”.

So you don’t think Biden is doing enough and is coward. So what would you do? If not military response then what could satisfy you that Biden is tough enough? What’s a big strong tough guy like you think we should do?

14 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

I think he also knows the globe can’t cut off his oil exports at this point either.

There's a brave and helpful tweet. Thanks, Peter. 

I looked him up and see that he may have useful insight. It's a shame he only alludes to it. It could also be a ruse to set himself up to wait for an inevitable error in policy that he can point to and say, "that's what I was talking about!"

Anyway, I'm concerned, too. Biden's speech was reassuring as to our general plan. 

I'll also note here how much I admire the Ukrainian people's courage and determination. I hope I would be half as brave as the soldiers all alone on that barren island telling the Russian Navy to go fuck itself. I don't see tame submission on the menu for Vlad anytime soon.

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Evidently Putin is threatening Sweden and Finally to warn them agains joining NATO.

1.  Fuck off.

2.  If he really means that threat, that adds support to the theory that he might be deranged and/or detached.  He would get his shit completely pushed in there.

Yeah, that's a bad idea.

As I mentioned yesterday, I don't think we can discount the possibility that he's a megalomaniacal narcissist who's hellbent on re-establishing the Soviet Union even if it means WW III.  That's suicide for him and for Russia, but do we know for sure if he gives a shit about that anymore?

Might be time for him to have an accident, Russia......

If I were Finland I would make a formal request to NATO for membership and simultaneously begin massing troops on the Russian border right now and flying reconnaissance flights on the border. Putin would probably engage rather than show weakness. He can’t fight two fronts with drunk 19-year-olds as the majority of his forces

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, 100% Trump is a traitor. I thought he was just a useful idiot. It's pretty clear to me now that it is a lot more than that. He needs to hang. 

It's a shame that decency standards prevent political cartoonists can't show Putin tightening a vice on Trump's balls. On the vice, write: Money laundering.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Lol. Putin went in to stop the genocide of Russians in those two eastern districts and to end the Nazification of Ukraine.  A lot to negotiate with there.  

I agree protecting the two breakaway republics is a major component of his motivations, but the de-Nazification crap is just bullshit used to justify Russia's much broader engagement in Ukraine.  

3 hours ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Weren’t there memes last year about our armed forces and Trans people versus the Russian forces mocking us for not being tough enough. That were parroted by guys like Cruz? I mean, these are Cruzes. Every allegation I guess. 

I'm sure they'd all rather be in Cancun. 

31 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Evidently Putin is threatening Sweden and Finally to warn them agains joining NATO.

1.  Fuck off.

2.  If he really means that threat, that adds support to the theory that he might be deranged and/or detached.  He would get his shit completely pushed in there.

Seriously what threats can he even make to them? Both those countries would fuck his shit up

10 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

I agree protecting the two breakaway republics is a major component of his motivations, but the de-Nazification crap is just bullshit used to justify Russia's much broader engagement in Ukraine.  

Yeah. Absolutely.  It’s all pretextual.  I was just pointing out when someone lies about why they’re invading, especially when it is lying about nonexistent facts, it’s hard to offer anything to satisfy him.  He might as well be saying “I’m going to invade unless all 7-legged zebras are executed.”  Uh.  Can’t really help you there. 

13 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Seriously what threats can he even make to them? Both those countries would fuck his shit up

He also threatened nukes against anyone who helped the Ukraine.  As someone who remembers the 80s sure brings back some unpleasant feelings.

Just the fact that he's uttering these threats is something else. 

• Rage+1 1

If Ukraine fights well enough that it looks like available NATO forces could join the fight for a decisive victory, do we do it?

Admittedly, almost all my knowledge of the situation comes from the last five pages of this thread. If the rapid response NATO army backed by NATO, including US, airpower could immediately tip the scale, I now consider that a real option.

I was fervently opposed to American involvement a few days ago, but now I'm not so sure. A humiliating defeat of Putin would prove they no longer field the Red Army and are the most flimsy of paper tigers.

From what I'm seeing of Russian fighting, I'm not sure that army would stand up at all against a western force.

Nukes? I don't see why MAD isn't still in effect. Putin himself would surely not survive the retaliation.

I haven't thought this through thoroughly, but my position of direct confrontation is rapidly changing. This begins to look like a fairly swiftly won war that would have favorable impact on our own interests and those of all democratic nations.

I'm pleased and surprised with the actions and collaboration of the NATO nations. This could be a great moment for boosting appreciation of what our republics are really all about. 

Viva Ukraine!

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

If Ukraine fights well enough that it looks like available NATO forces could join the fight for a decisive victory, do we do it?

Admittedly, almost all my knowledge of the situation comes from the last five pages of this thread. It the rapid response NATO army backed by NATO, including US, airpower could immediately tip the scale, I now consider that a real option.

I was fervently opposed to American involvement a few days ago, but now I'm not so sure. A humiliating defeat of Putin would prove they no longer field the Red Army and are the most flimsy of paper tigers.

From what I'm seeing of Russian fighting, I'm not sure that army would stand up at all against a western force.

Nukes? I don't see why MAD isn't still in effect. Putin himself would surely not survive the retaliation.

I haven't thought this through thoroughly, but my position of direct confrontation is rapidly changing. This begins to look like a fairly swiftly won war that would have favorable impact on our own interests and those of all democratic nations.

I'm pleased and surprised with the actions and collaboration of the NATO nations. This could be a great moment for boosting appreciation of what our republics are really all about. 

Viva Ukraine!

lol no are you fucking crazy?  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

He also threatened nukes against anyone who helped the Ukraine.  As someone who remembers the 80s sure brings back some unpleasant feelings.

Just the fact that he's uttering these threats is something else. 

And that's someone who's probably going to use that line again and again to get what they want.  Hope not but bullies gonna bully until they get punched back.

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Admittedly, almost all my knowledge of the situation comes from the last five pages of this thread. It the rapid response NATO army backed by NATO, including US, airpower could immediately tip the scale, I now consider that a real option.

Viva Ukraine!

That's World War III, immediately.

7 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Viva Ukraine!

I'm a hold out for a Mussolini moment when his own people advance on him with a meathook.  Then we can revisit Trump's genius.

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

NATO outnumbers Russia 20 to 1 with ground troops and tanks. Nukes would be his only option. He needs to fall out a Kremlin window.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Mdhorn said:

I'm a hold out for a Mussolini moment when his own people advance on him with a meathook.  

I think an accident is more likely.  If I were Uncle Vladdy, I don't think I'd be looking to get onto an elevator with any military or intelligence types anytime soon.

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I can't believe in 2022 anyone is still using tanks to fight wars. But it's also funny to me that while they used to be the most feared weapon on the battlefield, basically someone with a pulse and a couple of fingers can take one out.

It's primarily for intimidation.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Mdhorn said:

And that's someone who's probably going to use that line again and again to get what they want.  Hope not but bullies gonna bully until they get punched back.

That's part of my thinking, too. We got nukes, too. 

I believe we have almost constant communication between the two nations' nuclear forces to avoid accident or misunderstanding. I wonder if that would be a further avenue to appeal to Russians in grave doubt about what they are doing.

In Love and Death, a Russian sergeant talks about winning the war with France. Woody Allen asks, "What do we win?" Despite it's comedic origins, I ask that question every time we get close to war (invasions in our case). I think the Russian people may be wondering the same thing. What good for anyone does Putin's war do?

Ukraine and the West have something to gain. Russia really doesn't. I'm not advocating direct US military involvement yet. Keeping us off the front line lessens the chance of massive escalation. We certainly could and maybe should involve indirect support to the highest degree possible. AWACS, intelligence, and particularly air superiority assistance up to and maybe including American jets.

Still mulling it over. It's not emotion moving me. It's pragmatism. The satisfaction of beating a Russian army back over its own border would be a secondary motive.

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I believe we have almost constant communication between the two nations' nuclear forces to avoid accident or misunderstanding. I wonder if that would be a further avenue to appeal to Russians in grave doubt about what they are doing.

In Love and Death, a Russian sergeant talks about winning the war with France. Woody Allen asks, "What do we win?" Despite it's comedic origins, I ask that question every time we get close to war (invasions in our case). I think the Russian people may be wondering the same thing. What good for anyone does Putin's war do?

Ukraine and the West have something to gain. Russia really doesn't. I'm not advocating direct US military involvement yet. Keeping us off the front line lessens the chance of massive escalation. We certainly could and maybe should involve indirect support to the highest degree possible. AWACS, intelligence, and particularly air superiority assistance up to and maybe including American jets.

Still mulling it over. It's not emotion moving me. It's pragmatism. The satisfaction of beating a Russian army back over its own border would be a secondary motive.

We helped arm them, we can train and we can send money.  The rest is their fight.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

not for this guy (apparently he lived, btw)

That tank could take out the building they're watching it from and it didn't fire on the car either.  I'm wondering how much they'll take before they begin all out firing on everything  that moves.  But the world now has rockets for those and it'll be an interesting sight if they start blowing up.  

Edited by Mdhorn

7 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

If things go sideways for Putin in this war as in it really becomes a grind, I don't doubt he'll drop a nuclear warhead on the Ukraine.  I think he's going to lose his marbles that much when pressed.  He's basically losing a global publicity war to a comedian in chief.  

1 minute ago, Mdhorn said:

If things go sideways for Putin in this war as in it really becomes a grind, I don't doubt he'll drop a nuclear warhead on the Ukraine.  I think he's going to lose his marbles that much when pressed.  He's basically losing a global publicity war to a comedian in chief.  

If he does, he's definitely lost his fucking mind.

And Moscow is gonna get nuked a lot more than once in response.