Texas vs Texas State, midweek series thread, March 8th & 9th

TrashMaster G

10 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I don’t think so.  It was a knee bender.  

It was pretty bad situational hitting on that pitch from Ivan but he’s human. Down 2 with 2 on and 2 outs, runners running on the pitch, you aren’t getting a fastball.

19 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Yep. these games, the bama series, that game we stole from aggy corpus and last weekend went just about perfectly. 12-2 and like every type of game possible. Come May and June, we’ll be ready for everything. Shit we haven’t even entered conference play yet and we’ve played in every type of game possible. Go 8-1 against our South Carolina trip, incarnate word and central Arkansas and let’s take this conference for the 3rd time in the last 4 seasons. 

giphy.gif

We are fine and I say this through gritted teeth b:c of the shit talking, but we’ll done Bobcats.  What a badass team of dudes that don’t cower from anything.

‘Now, if you don’t run rule aggy I take it all back.

‘We’ll done and fuck off.  

22 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Well, bad base-running/3rd base coaching and our midweek pitching staff. That will do it

Fify

Edited by Cajun
I love Pierce, but he’s as bad of a 3rd base coach as I’ve ever seen short of co-Ed softballl
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I mean, it is a big deal for their program.  Nice horns down at our dugout though Pitch.  Classy.

A college pitcher directing a hand gesture at his opponents in the heat of the moment after getting a strikeout to win the game?  WHOEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING???

FNYI-4ZXMAAy6um?format=jpg&name=small

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

the weird thing about Pierce and the baserunning is that he is hell bent on running up the pitch counts at the plate as much as possible and then shortens innings due to brain dead, not even close, base running blunders(some his fault and others not). 

• Hook 'Em 6

13 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the weird thing about Pierce and the baserunning is that he is hell bent on running up the pitch counts at the plate as much as possible and then shortens innings due to brain dead, not even close, base running blunders(some his fault and others not). 

Spot on.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this loss also means that Texas has been surpassed for the #1 RPI ranking by...

https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2022/rpi-live

I guess the good news is that, according to whatever this is, Texas only has one more loss on its schedule:

https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2022/rpi-predict-nitty

Edited by Beau Vine

37 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Yeah we’ve been frustratingly patient at the plate. Which again, I’m all for but fuck. Sometimes you just need to make the fucker pay and knock him out by the 3rd. Though we’ve been a bit more aggressive this year, I think. It at least seems like it. But fuckin seriously, can Tulo or Allen or this chick be 3rd base coach?

A1B450BC-B281-4E19-9A4F-00CFF6EED73E.png

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Dude!!!! How do you watch 2 hangers. Ivan man you’re better than that. Whatever. Two good competitive games. Whoever gets Texas state in their regional, sorry. That’s gonna be rough 

They make a regional, they'll be here or in the one that matches up against us. NCAA likes to not give us an easy road to Omaha. And when they do show up, Regional or Super, their #1 and 2 (like the later innings tonight) won't be facing our Wednesday night mash up, they'll get to face off against Sweet Pete or Mr Stevens. I'll take the good guys. 

western clint eastwood GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BillyGoatHill said:

They make a regional, they'll be here or in the one that matches up against us. NCAA likes to not give us an easy road to Omaha. And when they do show up, Regional or Super, their #1 and 2 (like the later innings tonight) won't be facing our Wednesday night mash up, they'll get to face off against Sweet Pete or Mr Stevens. I'll take the good guys. 

western clint eastwood GIF

Oh I’m not worried about anyone. Good fucking luck with us in a regional. Hansen, Stevens, Witt, Gordon or maybe Duplantier as our 4 starters with our absurd fielding and speed in the outfield? Yeah. If we score 3 or more runs, you’re fucked 

• Hook 'Em 1

I tend to agree that we shouldn’t fear anyone in a regional or a super. Not that someone couldn’t beat us, this is baseball, but our three starters are probably the best group of three in the nation, Duplantier is a really good midweek, and the top end of our bullpen is lights out. Texas State is a good team this year and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see them end up in the supers.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I tend to agree that we shouldn’t fear anyone in a regional or a super. Not that someone couldn’t beat us, this is baseball, but our three starters are probably the best group of three in the nation, Duplantier is a really good midweek, and the top end of our bullpen is lights out. Texas State is a good team this year and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see them end up in the supers.

Not to mention our fielders get outs most college baseball players can’t, and our lineup 1-9 all have good eyes, patient at the plate, can work counts and we’re striking out less then we did last year (I think. It seems like it. Don’t have the numbers or whatever) and everyone in the lineup can go yard. Silas, Melendez and sort of messinger are the only 3 in the lineup that aren’t fast as fuck. I feel really bad for whoever is in our regional and gets paired up with us for the supers. Oh wait no I don’t. Fuck em. We’re Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So did they pitch their Saturday pitcher against our backups or should we freak out now?  Cause losing to TXST is not a good look to a number one team.  @InkaUtexas  do not understand the texts above?  Kid played for state, is sad they beat us?  and got Texas in Omaha?  They just beat Texas why would you as a 17th ranked team think you won’t be or believe your going to Omaha? I  Believe your kid might have been the week point of that team before, they are much better now??  Lol. 

Edited by Hook1997

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Son played for State. He had a good take on this. "dad, this is our Omaha." State can play ball for sure. Now I have to live in San Marcos and listen to this crap. Oh well, at least I am a Longhorn. 

Hook Em- UT@Omaha. 

And if any one makes that a t shirt I am in. 

Like this?

74280E4C-5C0A-4A61-996E-EE82D2FFAB68.png

37 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

So did they pitch their Saturday pitcher against our backups or should we freak out now?  Cause losing to TXST is not a good look to a number one team.  @InkaUtexas  do not understand the texts above?  Kid played for state, is sad they beat us?  and got Texas in Omaha?  They just beat Texas why would you as a 17th ranked team think you won’t be or believe your going to Omaha? I  Believe your kid might have been the week point of that team before, they are much better now??  Lol. 

No idea who they started, but everyone besides pretty much Harrison we pitched doesn’t pitch much if at all and they won’t pitch at all in conference play. And yeah, O’Dowd DHd, Stehly started at 3rd instead of Messinger. Hitting wise definitely an improvement there but defense tbd. Plus Messinger can get hot. Campbell is starting, what, his 3rd or so game in right this season? He’s started a handful of times at DH, but Stehly took that spot the last couple weeks. So yeah. We pitched a bunch of dudes besides Harrison and maybe Blair who won’t pitch much if at all in conference play. 

Put Hansen, Stevens or Witt on the mound and we win 4-1 or something. With Todd hurt and I’m just guessing out for the year, figuring out DH is pretty much the last order of business before conference play. And it’ll probably be Stehly once Messinger gets out of this funk. If he doesn’t, then Stehly, O’Dowd and I’d guess Kash would battle it out for  3rd and DH. 

Losing this game is not embarrassing. At all. They’re a legit top 25 team and have a shot at making some serious noise in the tournament. We went 1-1 against them. We’re 12-2 and should go at least 6-3 in the next 9 games. I’m honestly expecting 8-1. Then we get tech. Our lineup, rotation and bullpen roles will be settled by then and we’ll be ready to roll. Nut the fuck up. We lost to Texas state 2-1 and lost the Kansas series in 05. Awfully embarrassing. That’s definitely what I remember the most from that season

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pierce needs to pull his head out of his at third. There's being aggressive and then there's whatever the fuck that was with EK getting thrown out 10 miles away from home plate last night. I don't want either of those, I want an intelligent decision based on whatever the defense is doing; if they're giving us an opportunity to pressurize them, great, lick the stamp and send it. If there are no discernible fuck ups in progress and you're playing a pretty good baseball club, why don't we take five and put the pressure on the pitcher instead. Believe it or not there is momentum in baseball and I can't help but think we handed it to them in spades. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Fletch said:

Oh I’m not worried about anyone. Good fucking luck with us in a regional. Hansen, Stevens, Witt, Gordon or maybe Duplantier as our 4 starters with our absurd fielding and speed in the outfield? Yeah. If we score 3 or more runs, you’re fucked 

We'll only need 3 starters in the regional imo.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, WBT said:

We'll only need 3 starters in the regional imo.

3 in the regional/supers, maybe 4 in Omaha with 3 coming out of the bull pen and Nixon (really want him with less than 6 outs to go). We aren’t that far from having zero questions on the pitching staff. 

Edited by troph

47 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Pierce needs to pull his head out of his at third. There's being aggressive and then there's whatever the fuck that was with EK getting thrown out 10 miles away from home plate last night. I don't want either of those, I want an intelligent decision based on whatever the defense is doing; if they're giving us an opportunity to pressurize them, great, lick the stamp and send it. If there are no discernible fuck ups in progress and you're playing a pretty good baseball club, why don't we take five and put the pressure on the pitcher instead. Believe it or not there is momentum in baseball and I can't help but think we handed it to them in spades. 

That wasn’t a great decision. But it didn’t turn the game. Wild pitches/pass balls were the difference. The 5 run inning was more about a lapse in focus between 1 and 2. Pierce is looking for and he should be looking for the final pieces to the pitching staff for a championship run. Wednesday night was definitely an ideal night to explore that with a ranked opponent in a mid week game that can mash the ball. One bad inning of pitching is the difference between a 4-6 loss and a 4-1 win.  That base running error might have changed the complexion of the 9th but I don’t think it changed much of anything else tbqh. 

7 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Report on Witt will be coming out on Witt today per Coach Pierce -- not good.

Report out -- Tommy John Surgery...

FUCK !!!

Edited by LTtxfan

On 3/8/2022 at 9:21 PM, Fletch said:

He started off the year unlucky, hit the ball hard just right at fielders. Now he’s swinging through everything and whatnot. Can Stehly or Kash play some right? Fuck it. Campbell will put it together. Great swing. He’s got hodo level potential at the plate 

HAHAHAH he's JAG. He needs to sit, we have to have another bat on the bench that get the ball out of the infield.  He's the same player as he was last year.  Nice guy, team guy, has a little speed but jeebus he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with a bass fiddle.

• Hook 'Em 2