2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

Campbell is left handed. That is the end of the your Campbell to Center fan fiction. 

An interesting and pretty promising lineup out of the gate next year might look something like:

LT Banks

LG Jones

C Angilau

RG Conner

RT Campbell

2nd Team would then look something like:

LT Karic

LG Agbo

C Majors

RG Williams

RT Garth/Neto

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Campbell is left handed. That is the end of the your Campbell to Center fan fiction. 

An interesting and pretty promising lineup out of the gate next year might look something like:

LT Banks

LG Jones

C Angilau

RG Conner

RT Campbell

LT Karic

LG Agbo

C Majors

RG Williams

RT Garth/Neto

Is that a thing? Seriously, never have even thought about being right handed or left handed being a prerequisite for center. 

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

2020: Majors, Parr

2022: Roberson, maybe Hutson

2 years apart. Think about Texas OL currently. Bunch of guards and couple tackles. It is a mess. Center might have cost Herman is job. Dominic was there for 4 years and I am not sure there was ever a serious back-up plan. Outside of moving someone over that didnt work out at tackle/guard. 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

2 years apart. Think about Texas OL currently. Bunch of guards and couple tackles. It is a mess. Center might have cost Herman is job. Dominic was there for 4 years and I am not sure there was ever a serious back-up plan. Outside of moving someone over that didnt work out at tackle/guard. 

They were attempting to take a center in 2021, but then the coaching staff got fired 

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Is that a thing? Seriously, never have even thought about being right handed or left handed being a prerequisite for center. 

It is actually. Left handed centers can make for some funky things that you wouldn't normally think of. Ball spin, different hand placement under center, different blocking technique since you have the opposite hand free. Many coaches won't even entertain it. At the All American game, I believe they let him do a few snaps at center, then saw that he was left handed and moved him back out to guard. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Dominic Shackleford? Zach Espinosa?

52 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Are we violently agreeing here? 

If you run 1s vs 2s in the spring game, you are subjecting walk on OL’s to nearly half the snaps in the game when the second team offense is out there. How are the coaches going to evaluate any QB, RB, TE or WR on that unit when the play is over in 1 second.

When you just do a normal offense vs defense setup for 100 plays, you can mix and match guys individually instead of just having your first team OL and then your second team OL with no ability to sub for basically either unit.

So yes, I think it’s a good idea to make the spring game and productive as possible for all position groups. Trotting out a second team OL on the white team or whatever with 5 dudes who won’t be in the two deep in 4 months is pointless.

The coaches don't learn anything in the spring game. The coaches don't want to have to do the game, but they do it to placate the admin who is feeding crumbs to the fan base to keep them motivated to smile and take that new season ticket price increase straight up the ass in the fall. 

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

It is actually. Left handed centers can make for some funky things that you wouldn't normally think of. Ball spin, different hand placement under center, different blocking technique since you have the opposite hand free. Many coaches won't even entertain it. At the All American game, I believe they let him do a few snaps at center, then saw that he was left handed and moved him back out to guard. 

Wierd. I wonder if it is a legit thing or just one of those biases. The ball is placed at the same spot.

Edited by Codaxx

14 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Campbell is left handed. That is the end of the your Campbell to Center fan fiction. Campbell was reportedly told by Flood that he would get a shot at tackle. He will certainly be one of the best athletes on the line. 

LT Banks

LG Jones

C Angilau

RG Conner

RT Campbell

LT Karic

LG Agbo

C Majors

RG Williams

RT Garth/Neto

Can't see Hutson going from current 1st string to not even in the two deep come August.  We keep forgetting about him, but he his huge (look at the recent pic of him next to Majors) and being an EE, I bet he sees the field next year.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Campbell is left handed. That is the end of the your Campbell to Center fan fiction. Campbell was reportedly told by Flood that he would get a shot at tackle. He will certainly be one of the best athletes on the line. 

LT Banks

LG Jones

C Angilau

RG Conner

RT Campbell

LT Karic

LG Agbo

C Majors

RG Williams

RT Garth/Neto

Creed Humphrey is left handed so piss off. 

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

That is a bunch of garbage

Frustrated Billy Madison GIF

17 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

You are making my point. 

Shackleford class of 2016. 

Espinoza class of 2010 

You said after Espinosa. That guy finished under Charlie. Shackleford came in and played as a TrFr out of necessity and finished in 2020, the year Majors was signed. We played Kerstetter there in 2020 while Majors chilled at the buffet.

If you specifically recruit a "center" he better be a damn good one or else you're fucked if he doesn't work out. It's better to take swing guys who have center upside like Kerstetter/Conner/Hutson/Robertson who can play other positions, but also handle center duties.

Edited by Atticus

31 minutes ago, Atticus said:

You said after Espinosa. That guy finished under Charlie. Shackleford came in and played as a TrFr out of necessity and finished in 2020, the year Majors was signed. We played Kerstetter there in 2020 while Majors chilled at the buffet.

If you specifically recruit a "center" he better be a damn good one or else you're fucked if he doesn't work out. It's better to take swing guys who have center upside like Kerstetter/Conner/Hutson/Robertson who can play other positions, but also handle center duties.

It's difficult for colleges to specifically recruit center because the best D1 grade OL around the country rarely play center in HS. I would doubt if most centers in the NFL played it much or at all in HS. You have to take guys who are athletic enough for guard but project to be smart enough for center. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I think you're making his point for him.

I’m not an OL guru but I feel like Majors problems are he’s not super athletic and small for his position. Campbell is fine in both of those areas. I don’t see anything with Majors technique that makes me say “we can’t have another left handed center”

Just now, OB3 said:

I’m not an OL guru but I feel like Majors problems are he’s not super athletic and small for his position. Campbell is fine in both of those areas. I don’t see anything with Majors technique that makes me say “we can’t have another left handed center”

(I don't really disagree, just a cheap attempt at some snark)

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

I would always recruit 1 center and 3 Tackles. The position you are fucked is guard. A bad guard is just a useless lump of shit. Bad Tackle or Center can play Guard. Unless you are Mack and recruit a 230 pound center from East Texas (forgot his name). I hate recruiting any pure guard unless he is absolutely special.

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I would always recruit 1 center and 3 Tackles. The position you are fucked is guard. A bad guard is just a useless lump of shit. Bad Tackle or Center can play Guard. Unless you are Mack and recruit a 230 pound center from East Texas (forgot his name). I hate recruiting any pure guard unless he is absolutely special.

Mack thought he was recruiting a point guard. 

55 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's difficult for colleges to specifically recruit center because the best D1 grade OL around the country rarely play center in HS. I would doubt if most centers in the NFL played it much or at all in HS. You have to take guys who are athletic enough for guard but project to be smart enough for center. 

This is true. Most NFL guys played OT or farther outside. There are probably only a couple pure centers worthy of recruiting nationally every year. I could easily be persuaded to say take 4 tackles a year and figure it out when they get on the 40

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Terrell Cuney. Was going to be the only OL in his last class before Charlie had to scramble and add a couple jags

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The freshman class at OL for Texas in 2022 will be one of the highest performing groups at OL ever recruited. We will be shocked at how much more effective everything on offense is when Banks is starting at LT and Campbell is either alongside him at LG or on the other side at RG. People are going to shake their heads in disbelief at their lack of faith in what these guys and Flood can get done versus everything that existed before them on the roster. 

unlike that class of 2018 secondary??? with caden sterns, bj foster, jalen green, overshown, anthony cook, jamison?

1 hour ago, Texasrocks said:

Texas just signed an epic OL class in the current staff's first full recruiting cycle and you're worried about OL recruiting? 

Not worried about this class, but I am pointing out an issue that has hampered Texas. We saw what happened when Shack left and Herman had to scramble at center. Majors will probably a decent center next year (hopefully). What happens if he is injured? Flood is likely to throw someone in there with little prep and the alternative is a true freshmen that is learning the position and is the lowest rated OL in the class.  That is a problem. This is arguably the most important position on the OL and I would like to see some bodies thrown at it, so there is a 2/3 deep at some point in my life time. Texas has 2 players scouts describe as super athletic, but lacking Tackle length. That is Campbell and Neto. I would not mind seeing one of them at center. 

Edited by Codaxx

12 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

unlike that class of 2018 secondary??? with caden sterns, bj foster, jalen green, overshown, anthony cook, jamison?

Many of those guys had flaws coming out. Jalen Green had skills but needed development. Anthony Cook had limited athleticism for corner. Jamison is small. Foster was pretty maxed out in high school. Overshown was a linebacker playing safety.

Overall, though that class was pretty good. All those guys started. BJ Foster and Jalen Green regressed. Overshown could prove himself this year. Jamison has been steady. Sterns is in the NFL.

The problem that I see is that we had problems with coaching and didn't follow up that class with another haul. Every class has busts but with college football today, you have to identify those busts early and follow up with strong well rounded classes. We haven't done that at all because we have had coaching deficiencies and coaching changes every few years. This gives us talent at some positions but not others and players who we want to keep moving on.

This year we have almost a total roster rebuild. We are bringing in a talented and actually well-rounded class. If we can do that for a few more years in a row, we can compete with anyone. If we suck this year, put Sark on the hot seat, and lose a bunch of recruits, we will end up along the same path we have been following the last decade.

• Hook 'Em 2

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic