2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I see 9 tough games. The 6 with Tampa, the 3 with Atlanta, and then I see 57 games against teams waiting to get run the fuck over. 

Of course, baseball being baseball, we'll still likely drop at least 20 of those 57. History shows it's just so hard to keep winning 2 out of every 3, especially if you're resting guys and looking at a bunch of call-ups. 

• Hook 'Em 2

We’ve got 37 games against teams within a couple games of 500.  

Tiers-

shitty:

10 Oakland, 8 texas, 6 angels, 3 Detroit, 2 Arizona 

right around 500 but probably shitty:

3 Boston, 7 Baltimore, 4 White Sox, 4 Cleveland 

playoff maybe, but probably still shitty:

4 Seattle, 3 Minnesota, 3 Philly 

good teams: 

3 Atl, 6 Tampa  

67 games total:  let’s go ahead and finish 45-22 and set a franchise record for wins at 109  

13 hours ago, tx ind said:

Power rankings mean absolutely jack shit, but some of the sites have to put the Astros at the top tomorrow. 

Or just completely ignore the last 5 days, whatever works.

In this week's MLB power rankings, the Dodgers jumped ahead of the Astros to second place behind the Yankees and the Nationals fell from 29th to 30th, last in baseball.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2022/07/25/mlb-power-rankings-trade-deadline-standings/10141255002/

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Astros 14th in runs scored. Dodgers and Yankees 1 & 2

Astros T-2 in runs allowed, Yankees and Dodgers 1 & T-2 in runs allowed.

pitching & defense wins championships.  but agree the offense has not been as potent.  looking at you Bregs & Yuli.

Fangraphs latest projections have us finishing 104-58 (1 game better than LAD and NYY), winning the West (>99.9%) by 18 over SEA, 30 over LAA and TEX, and 42 over OAK. 

BR projections have us finishing best-case 109-53, worst-case 96-66. 

Some buddies of mine share a block of season tickets and on our group text were joking yesterday about how it's late July and essentially have over 2 months to go until our next game that actually matters. "I've got 12-15 more games of mop-up duty to attend."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Seattle has been injured as much as the Astros. I bet their best lineup, if healthy, will make a strong push for the playoffs. Their pitching is also Top 10 in era and era+, I don't hate them. I do think their fans are aggy.

The Seahawk’s fans called themselves the 12th man. aggy sued and forced a settlement. So yeah, Seattle fans are very aggy. 

Edited by TonyTexas

3 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

Wishing the Astros would go away isn't working for the media. So they've decided  season run differential and TV ratings are truer barometers of team strength than anything as irrelevant as head-to-head results.

well they are

Great outsider’s view in how the Astros develop international players. Two things I liked …,

1. The guy they signed for $10k is treated and developed the same as if he signed for 7 figures. 

2. he talks about 4 current pitchers all being ‘miracles’. For being low 5 figure signees,  making it to mlb, and contributing. When something like that happens 4 times, it’s not a ‘miracle’, it’s damn good scouting and development. 

https://houston.sportsmap.com/houston-astros-international-pipeline?fs=e&s=cl

keep that pipeline producing !

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I hope the price on Bell is as low as some of y'all think it is upthread. He would be a half season rental. He should be trying for a big contract after doing a one year, bet on yourself deal with the Nationals. 

Oh no doubt he is a 2022 rental property only being a Boras client. I just think he can be gotten for a much smaller prospect haul than Soto.

Why not all 3?  Cost should be Odo (what you get from him) and a couple too 10 ish prospects. We could afford all of that. And we should do that. 

Bell and Mancini are a bit redundant unless you think Brantley is toast for the year. I don’t mind it but it’s not the most efficient use of farm talent of Unc returns.

I’m willing to part with Odo, Maton, and one of Chas or Siri as part of any of those acquisitions.

34 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

Bell and Mancini are a bit redundant unless you think Brantley is toast for the year. I don’t mind it but it’s not the most efficient use of farm talent of Unc returns.

I’m willing to part with Odo, Maton, and one of Chas or Siri as part of any of those acquisitions.

Chas is probably an overpay. Odo, Maton and a prospect 8-15 should get you there. By Odo and Maton I mean flipping them for prospects that you send on or use to replenish what you sent out. 
I’d assume Brantley is toast, plan accordingly and then be happy if he’s not. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Chas has been doing his part upping his trade value. 

Yeah Chas is probably worth a top 100 prospect. That should be more than you are sending out. He’s got a ton of surplus value (like 15 million or so) 

you should be able to flip Chas for someone else’s version of Leon or Lee. That’s more than Bell should cost. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn