2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

49 minutes ago, dhornf said:

Fucking amazing.  Took my 8yr old daughter on a dad/daughter date. Will never forget this one. 

It’ll be me and my 8 yo son on Thurs (I also have an 8 yo daughter that will be slightly jealous but it’s not nearly a thing for her like it is my boy). I’ll take a no drama W, but a repeat would be nice!

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Hard to believe that’s never happened before. 

Absolutely hard to believe. That's one of my favorite things about baseball - how often you see things happen that have never happened in the game before. Considering how long it's been played, it's just 'mind-bottling' to me that we still see things so often that have never happened before.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

That happened so fucking fast 

But turn your fucking phone sideways

Yeah it really got out incredibly fast. He hit it so hard that watching on TV I couldn't see the ball come off his bat when it happened. I wasn't sure he hit it at all until the crowd reacted. The exit velocity was 116.7, which is huge, but somehow I expected it to be even higher. Maybe the hardest hit HR I've ever seen. Yordan has elite power, and I'm talking "elite" in the history of baseball, not just elite compared to his contemporaries.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

that was almost a double 

Yep. People can say what they want about La Pina, but I believe in his bat and he's an elite fielding 1B. I really feel like he's been battling some kind of physical issue that's kept him from getting in a groove this year, but he's starting to come out of it the last few weeks. His bat hadn't had the same quickness as usual, and you could tell he knew it and was compensating for it by swinging earlier. That made him reach for more pitches than usual, etc, and made him look bad. That seems to be going away.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yordan is pretty good. Breaking news.  

There is a lot of talk about the series being over, but man, it's baseball. This could galvanize them or it could be the thing that causes them to roll over and die.  I personally don't think it affects the rest of the series, as I'm a big believer in momentum is todays starting pitcher.  

I was really hoping we'd get LMJ at home where he's like 2 runs better than on the road over the course of his career, and Framber kinda sorta scares me as he's been a mixed bag in the playoffs.  
It was so nice to see Yuli looking like his old self instead of just old.  At no point in time in the season did he look good. Even when people were talking about Yuli heating up there wasn't ever a time where he was consistently driving the ball, it was just grounders finding holes or balls down the line. He hit the ball hard 3 times yesterday and I don't know if he's done that in a single game all year. 

I'm as anti Dusty as they come, but all the moves yesterday made sense.  Like, so much sense that I don't think he's calling the shots, but 1 game into his 3rd post season and I still don't have a problem with anything he's done. Not all moves work out but the process has been just fine. I don't think he's calling the shots as it looks so radically different than day in and day out, but maybe he's a super genius and saves it all for the playoffs. Based upon past history of his in the playoffs I sort of doubt that's the case and it makes more sense to believe his wings have been clipped, but either way good on him for executing a reasonable plan yesterday, regardless of who came up with it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Hate said:

That was a fucking dagger that Seattle cannot come back from…damn what a few days fans in Texas have had!

Obviously I understand the logic here but we can't get too ahead of ourselves and assume the M's are done. That was definitely a crushing defeat that has the potential to demoralize that team considering the Astros owning them for so long but they are a not out of it by any means. Stros just have to win two of four before they win three of four. I'd certainly rather be in our situation than theirs, but anything can happen in October baseball. 

• Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, wood said:

Yep. People can say what they want about La Pina, but I believe in his bat and he's an elite fielding 1B. I really feel like he's been battling some kind of physical issue that's kept him from getting in a groove this year, but he's starting to come out of it the last few weeks. His bat hadn't had the same quickness as usual, and you could tell he knew it and was compensating for it by swinging earlier. That made him reach for more pitches than usual, etc, and made him look bad. That seems to be going away.

His physical issue is he is probably 55 years old. 

• Like 1

god, even the next day - that shit was so much fun. after the first few innings, wife and I left our seats to erase the bad juju, finally made it back to them after a few drinks and some el tiempo margaritas for the 8th and 9th and saw something I frankly didnt think was going to happen. as soon as that ball was hit, i probably hugged 5 people before my wife, she didnt care. playoff fucking baseball - can make a grown man act like an 8 year old. 

#HTownPride

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, royiv said:

Why the fuck do people have their phones out trying to record a big AB? Live in the moment and enjoy what you paid to be there for. 

because they want me to see it from many angles after hearing it in on the radio...

yeah, i never record those moments... my phone would have done a "Let's Go!!!!" and been gone.

• Hook 'Em 1

The ones that really bottle the mind are the people who record the whole fucking concert.  Like I get maybe taking a clip of  your favorite song or even a piece of your favorite song but the whole fucking show? At what point are you ever going to rewatch all that?  All you did was fuck your own experience up because you are a moron as well as anyone else who had to cope with you phone in their line of sight.

• Hook 'Em 2